Page, Jones & Bonham

bbking

It doesn't seem unreasonably to suspect that Plant was apalled at that idea, and agreed to do "Unledded" and a subsequent tour with Jimmy to prevent such a thing from occuring.

From what I heard, the US tour for Coverdale/Page fell apart because they couldn't book large enough venues to satisfy Coverdale. Jimmy was game, though. I think C/P was kind of a victim of the grunge movement breaking at the time and hard rock becoming suddenly "unhip".

I actually liked Coverdale/Page -- I guess I am in the minority.

Maybe 1 less minority. C/P has the best post-Zep studio production from Jimmy. All I can do is listen to that album and speculate how much better WiC would have been with Jimmy's studio wizardry.

I also happen to get a kick out of Jimmy during that period when he was trying to 'fit in' with the 80s hair metal crowd, being in flashy music videos with Coverdale all primped up in lacey shirts like a romance novel, and playing "Still of the Night" with conviction and not a dose of irony live in Japan.

This is a totally dumb idea.

It's fine for PJ&B to go out and play with whoever they want (although if that wanker Coverdale was vocalist I wouldn't part with any money).

But not as Led Zeppelin. That's not just on. It would be acontravention of the Trade Descriptions Act and would be hugely damaging to theZep legacy.

I mean, look what what Fat Dave did to the Floyd. He produced one mediocre album, The Division Bell and one truly awful one in the shape of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, an embarrassing, turgid, dated and breathtakingly banal record that is a massive blot on the Floyd catalogue (along with its accompanying live album, the supremely pointless Delicate Sound Of Thunder). Really, they should have let it lie after The Final Cut, as Vic would say, but greed and Gilmour's ego got in the way.

Can't see Page doing that. Can you?

And stop dissing Percy y'all. He can do what he wants, it's a free country. Personally I admire him for not taking the easy route. And I'd be more than happy if Zep left things as they are, going out on a high after what has been acclaimed as one of the best gigs ever. Sure, I'm sorry I never got to go, but don't you think it would be cool if they bowed out now, quitting while they were ahead?

It's fine for PJ&B to go out and play with whoever they want (although if that wanker Coverdale was vocalist I wouldn't part with any money).

But not as Led Zeppelin. That's not just on. It would be acontravention of the Trade Descriptions Act and would be hugely damaging to theZep legacy.

I mean, look what what Fat Dave did to the Floyd. He produced one mediocre album, The Division Bell and one truly awful one in the shape of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, an embarrassing, turgid, dated and breathtakingly banal record that is a massive blot on the Floyd catalogue (along with its accompanying live album, the supremely pointless Delicate Sound Of Thunder). Really, they should have let it lie after The Final Cut, as Vic would say, but greed and Gilmour's ego got in the way.

And stop dissing Percy y'all. He can do what he wants, it's a free country. Personally I admire him for not taking the easy route. And I'd be more than happy if Zep left things as they are, going out on a high after what has been acclaimed as one of the best gigs ever. Sure, I'm sorry I never got to go, but don't you think it would be cool if they bowed out now, quitting while they were ahead?

I wouldn't say we are dissing Percy. He can do what he wants -- just as the other three guys can too. I personally would not be more than happy for Zep to go yet. I would like to personally witness them live....and at a high level. So, whether Plant wants to join with them or not, I want to see at least the other three go on tour.

Like I said before, I'd rather they just play instrumentally if they are to continue as a trio and Plant doesn't want to tour/do more shows. The music is powerful enough to stand on its own, and it's disrespectful to what Plant added to even think of bringing in another vocalist.

Promise me never to say that again. I have a lot of respect for Cornell, he has an awesome voice, but his live vocals are terrible; utterly and absolutely horrid. I can't tell you how many times I got stoked for a live Soundgarden show only to be terribly disappointed in his vocals. When Audio Slave joined I figured "awesome, now he can concentrate on vocals" thinking that maybe his live vocals were affected by trying to make sure he plays the guitar well; but alas he sounds like crap there too.

I don't know what it is. I know he can sing, he just fails to do so live.

When I saw Soundgarden live Chris was incredible

Agreed. it would completely destroy the Zeppelin legacy. Page has a HUGE ego, but i don't think he would ever do anything as foolish as billing himself, Jones and Jason as Led Zeppelin with another singer besides Plant. If it would ever happen(it wont), i would be convinced he has entered into a state of delusionary senility.

Page would retire first.

From what I heard, the US tour for Coverdale/Page fell apart because they couldn't book large enough venues to satisfy Coverdale.

Actually, it fell apart because David won the argument so they did book venues large enough to satisfy him. Problem was, ticket sales were abysmal. Not enough demand.

... Page has a HUGE ego...

I think there is a big difference between being a perfectionist and having a huge ego. Page is a known perfectionist but I haven't seen any evidence that he has a big ego. In fact, he gives much of his time and energy to charity work which, to me, says quite a bit about what he sees as important.

Has anyone considered that the four of them might actually reach a mutual decision and that it won't be Page, Jones, and Bonham on one side of the room begging and pleading while Plant stands in an opposite corner stubbornly shaking his head? They are all smart enough to recognize that a Led Zeppelin tour will only happen if all of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin are on board. If Page, Jones, and Bonham tour without Plant (which I strongly doubt) they would probably come up with a creative name for the band such as Page, Jones, and Bonham.

• 2 weeks later...
Promise me never to say that again. I have a lot of respect for Cornell, he has an awesome voice, but his live vocals are terrible; utterly and absolutely horrid. I can't tell you how many times I got stoked for a live Soundgarden show only to be terribly disappointed in his vocals. When Audio Slave joined I figured "awesome, now he can concentrate on vocals" thinking that maybe his live vocals were affected by trying to make sure he plays the guitar well; but alas he sounds like crap there too.

I don't know what it is. I know he can sing, he just fails to do so live.

I just heard Chris live recently, and somehow he has managed to eliminate whatever problem he had hitting the high notes. He sang "Hunger Strike" perfectly, believe it or not! He found a way to sing in a different manner, perhaps.

Of course this isn't going to happen anyway. So it's a bit of an empty debate, no? :lol:

It is not the same without BONZO, but we have the next best thing his son JASON.

With that said for a formal reunion you have to have PLANT. Now If JPJ & JP want to get together with Jason that is great but not under the guise of LED ZEPPELIN. Any name but LED ZEPPELIN!

Oh yes...as Led Zeppelin for sure. This is NOT Robert Plant's solo group nor do I think he should ruin whatever future Led Zeppelin can have by following his dead hippie ideology. PLEASE don't go to the shows if you have a problem with it. There will be more than enough people there without you all. AND with a different singer instead of just instrumentals. John Paul Jones could even do some singing. As it is Jason Bonham apparently was doing some back-up vocals at the reunion show.

I'd support a Jones/Page/Bonham tour, Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes Live At The Greek showed that Zeppelin songs work without Robert singing them. Myself a guitarist, I'd LOVE to see Jimmy live and maby the O2 gig has made him think about touring after many years off the touring scene.

If they want to tour together then I think they should and give us unlucky fans a chance to see 50% of the original lineup and 75% of the 'current' lineup.

Robert has his reasons why he does not want to tour with Zeppelin and theyre valid, he's moved on and found a new musical direction.

I'd enjoy either a fully instrumental set or one with another singer (Chris Robinson?). If they did however I 100% feel that they should NOT be called 'Led Zeppelin,' rather something like - 'Page/Jones/Bonham/[insert amazing singer here]. If they did however tour without Plant and with another singer this could put their friendship with him in jepordy and therefore any other full on reunion concerts.

Another idea is that they feature loads of non mega hits in their set e.g. Night Flight, The Rover, Four Sticks, Out On The Tiles etc. Seeing that the majority of people who would be interested are diehard Led Zeppelin fans as they would not be buying into the name 'Led Zeppelin.'

I stand by what all the band members want to do but I doubt Page, Jones and Bonham are all saying 'screw Plant' right now, yes he has dates with Allison Krauss but I am sure that there are things that we don't know about and that the WHOLE of Led Zeppelin have had talks together since the gig. Wel'll wait and see but this Plant/Krauss tour doesnt mean the end of Led Zeppelin, until one of the band says "There will be no 'Led Zeppelin' tour there is always the possibility.

It is not the same without BONZO, but we have the next best thing his son JASON.

With that said for a formal reunion you have to have PLANT. Now If JPJ & JP want to get together with Jason that is great but not under the guise of LED ZEPPELIN. Any name but LED ZEPPELIN!

...or the Nobs.

Not that any of this thread matters as Plant will come around.

I'm pretty sure the Glastonbury thing is for real.

He always wanted to play there didn't he.

its going to be his payoff.

Look he sang Stairway after swearing he never would again right..

Oh by the way, that's the name for the bootleg surely.... "Ahmet; we did it!"

AT THE RISK OF SOUNDING CHEESY, GOOD MUSIC IS MEDICINE FOR ME, IT'S HOW I DEAL WITH STRESS. LED ZEPPLIN HAS ALWAYS MADE ME FEEL BETTER. I'M 49 SO NATURALLY MY PREFERENCE IS GOING TO INCLUDE PLANT. A PERFORMANCE WITHOUT HIM JUST WOULDN'T BE THE SAME. I'M REALLY HOPING HE'S NOT OUT OF THE PICTURE YET. MY 18 YEAR OLD SON SHARES MY APPRECIATION FOR LZ, I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE PAGE AND PLANT IN DALLAS ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO BUT HE WAS TOO YOUNG THEN. I CAN'T THINK O ANYTHING MORE AWSOME THAN TAKING HIM TO A LIVE PERORMANCE............WOULDN'T THAT BE "THE BOMB"......SOMETHING HE WOULD NEVER FORGET! I' LL KEEP LOOKING FOR WORDS OF ENCOURAGMENT AND HOPING FOR THE OPPORTUNITY.

Gee! It's not like the knights of Led Zeppelin would hunt Robert Plant down and kill him if they moved on without him! Lol! They would just get another singer and then Mr. Plant could come back any time he wants! I'm just saying he shouldn't hold the group back from moving on...I also expect that he will be back as well...

Gee! It's not like the knights of Led Zeppelin would hunt Robert Plant down and kill him if they moved on without him! Lol! They would just get another singer and then Mr. Plant could come back any time he wants! I'm just saying he shouldn't hold the group back from moving on...I also expect that he will be back as well...

AlexKx, hows it goin guy? We had a very simular conversation on this subject about 5 mnths ago.

The rules have changed a bit, and we actually have a shot at some live dates in the future, but it's still the same outcome as far as replacing Robert.

No Robert, No Zeppelin.

Remember this..

Jimmy Page's greatest accomplishment in his professional life is the music he created as a member Led Zeppelin. Why now would he risk losing his integrity by putting together a cover band to tour the world? He does not need the money nor the embarrassment of such a retarded move. When Jimmy wants to play his music no one can stop him. He can put together any combo of musicians he wishes and go out and play wherever he wishes. But, it will never be as Led Zeppelin. Bands like the Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Police, and such are doing a great service to there fans, and there wallets. While Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and JPJ have been tempted ,and almost took the plunge over the years, it just didn't happen. Unless you are a true fan of the music and went to see Page/Plant in the 90's i'm sorry to inform you, time has run out.

Game over.

Nothing has changed.

Regards

More and more of what you are claiming is being proven to be untrue. In particular with Zep moving on by doing a reunion show. Turned most people here into hypocrites who said they could not, should not, (and perhaps most importantly) would not do it. Must have confused many after the endless attacks on those trying to explain how moving on would be a good thing. I also don't think Zep will move on without Robert though that doesn't change my opinion of the situation or what I have said.

Are these individuals not cover groups of themselves going out and doing Zep material on their own? Are they not ruining the credibility of the music by doing so with your way of thinking? EVERY SINGLE OTHER ACT moves on live and in most cases even recording no matter who passes away or not and I am thankful for that for I have very much enjoyed groups continuing.

I do not demean them by sitting around saying that "they are not what they use to be". Every single act out there that still has the same members "are not what they use to be" so in my opinion no matter how you look at it it will "never be as it use to be" but I don't believe in the "retreat, surrender, quit, and give up" mentality that so many people follow like sheep. It's not like the industry couldn't use a little kick in the ol' arse as it is.

More and more of what you are claiming is being proven to be untrue. In particular with Zep moving on by doing a reunion show. Turned most people here into hypocrites who said they could not and should not do it. Must have confused many after the endless attacks on those trying to explain how moving on would be a good thing. I also don't think Zep will move on without Robert though that doesn't change my opinion of the situation or what I have said.

Are these individuals not cover groups of themselves going out and doing Zep material on their own? Are they not ruining the credibility of the music by doing so with your way of thinking? EVERY SINGLE OTHER ACT moves on live and in most cases even recording no matter who passes away or not and I am thankful for that for I have very much enjoyed groups continuing.

I do not demean them by sitting around saying that "they are not what they use to be". Every single act out there that still has the same members "are not what they use to be" so in my opinion no matter how you look at it it will "never be as it use to be" but I don't believe in the "retreat, surrender, quit, and give up" mentality that so many people follow like sheep. It's not like the industry couldn't use a little kick in the ol' arse as it is.

AlexKx,

The only Untruth you can point to that I claimed (at the time) would be that the three surviving members would never tour as Led Zeppelin. To my knowledge, that has not happened, yet.

Archived