Fitness Thread

ledzepfvr

This thread is for the discussion of fitness and exercising. Your routines, lack of routines, motivation, lack of motivation etc.

I know I could use a little motivation and if we can find inspiration and motivation from others here, all the better.

OK, I'm off the couch now to find my stair steps.

Lately I've been doing nothing more than sitting at the computer, sitting in the car, sitting in class, or watching tv.

I have been wanting to start up some sort of exercise/healthy eating plan but I am either just too busy....or lazy :P.

I'll probably get something going here in the next few days.

I personally don't need to lose weight (in fact I could do with putting on a few pounds) but on Tuesday I had two appointments one for a blood test at 08.40 and another at the job centre at 10.15. I left my house at 8.00 and as I can't afford public transport I had to walk to both appointments, anyway overall I was walking around for three hours, that's my fitness regime for the next year !!

Oct. 25 40 mins cardio, 15 mins strength.

I would not mind losing a few pounds, but that means calorie deficit. I get plenty of exercise. Maybe participating in this thread will motivate me.

Thanks for starting the thread ledzepfvr.

Thanks for starting this thread ledzepfvr.

Maybe with group support and encouragement it will motivate us to get off our bloomin' arses. Like right now!!!!!!! I'm getting off this dang computer and pulling the clothes off my clothes rack, oh excuse me, my Total Gym. :-)

I run to the fridge and jog to the recliner

5 days a week, 1 hour in the gym circuit training. Focus is on flexibility and breathing and tone. I no longer have a 6pack, more like a 12pack. Could lose 20 just don't like the cardio. Enjoy paintball on weekends. Have been this weight shape since early years of marriage, the woman is an amazing cook.

With my lower back being in the condition it is, this past year has been a total write off for me when it comes to doing any kind of cardio work out. I have been able to do a bit of stretching and some core strengthening but very limited. Prior to my present condition, I was alway's good for hitting the gym at work for a basic workout 2 days/wk and walking an average of 2-3 km/day. I miss the walk the most. Rain or shine, it was a great way to clear the mind.

With my lower back being in the condition it is, this past year has been a total write off for me when it comes to doing any kind of cardio work out. I have been able to do a bit of stretching and some core strengthening but very limited. Prior to my present condition, I was alway's good for hitting the gym at work for a basic workout 2 days/wk and walking an average of 2-3 km/day. I miss the walk the most. Rain or shine, it was a great way to clear the mind.

Keep up those 12oz 'curls'? :P

Just got back from my daily afternoon walk. Usually do between 1 and 2 miles. Since I just started back at this a couple of months ago, I'm waiting a bit before I start taking the stairs up to our 7th floor office. It's not that I can't do it...it's just that I have to talk myself into it again.

This is a great idea for a thread. Thanks ledzepfvr and the other ladies who suggested it in the other thread!!

Does anyone here do yoga? Can you really get fit doing yoga? And I'm not talking about what they call 'hot yoga', where you do yoga in a room that's like 92 degrees. (Yuck, I live in South Louisiana, I want to get away from the heat not into it!) I've taken a few yoga classes and have some yoga dvd's, and I really like doing it. It's no impact and that's good for these getting older joints of mine, but . . . when I do yoga instead of riding my bike or walking or my Total Gym, I feel like its not a true workout. I'll break a light sweat and can feel some muscle exhaustion doing certain poses, but is it really a good enough workout? I'd appreciate any others thoughts, especially if they are familiar with yoga. :-)

Does anyone here do yoga? Can you really get fit doing yoga? And I'm not talking about what they call 'hot yoga', where you do yoga in a room that's like 92 degrees. (Yuck, I live in South Louisiana, I want to get away from the heat not into it!) I've taken a few yoga classes and have some yoga dvd's, and I really like doing it. It's no impact and that's good for these getting older joints of mine, but . . . when I do yoga instead of riding my bike or walking or my Total Gym, I feel like its not a true workout. I'll break a light sweat and can feel some muscle exhaustion doing certain poses, but is it really a good enough workout? I'd appreciate any others thoughts, especially if they are familiar with yoga. :-)

It is definitely a good work out (strength, core, stretching), but as you guessed, not much cardio. If you enjoy it, you're more likely to stick with it. I've tried hot yoga a few times and liked it, but I love hot weather and don't live in Louisiana ;-)

Hi justawoman!

I've been doing yoga for almost 3 years now and I love it. I started out taking a restorative class then moved up to a more challenging class, Mixed Level is what they call it. It has done more for my head and overall well being. I get my cardio from walking or indoor rowing. I'm not much of a gym goer, though, and I never like aerobics. I should add weights, and now with this thread, maybe I will!

Good luck!

Namaste :-)

It is definitely a good work out (strength, core, stretching), but as you guessed, not much cardio. If you enjoy it, you're more likely to stick with it. I've tried hot yoga a few times and liked it, but I love hot weather and don't live in Louisiana ;-)

I was talking to my doctor about exercise and asked about yoga. She looked at me like I'd lost my mind and said if I wanted to, fine, but it's not really exercise...

What does she know anyway... :) If it gets one off one's butt, I think it's a good thing. Of course, now I just have to do it...

This thread is for the discussion of fitness and exercising. Your routines, lack of routines, motivation, lack of motivation etc.

I know I could use a little motivation and if we can find inspiration and motivation from others here, all the better.

OK, I'm off the couch now to find my stair steps.

Thanks so much ledzepfvr for starting this thread!

Great idea, and a positive, refreshing topic!

Thanks all for the yoga input. I know yoga is better than doing nothing and that if I would just stick with it, after a while I would see positive results. But, I'm of the mindset that if I can't do 30-45 minutes of cardio, than it's not worth it. Sort of its an all or nothing attitude and I know this is the wrong way to think. Like you said ebk, at least with yoga I'm getting off my butt. Today I did a series of exercises on my total gym and tomorrow I think I'll do some yoga. Stretch out some of the aches from the Total Gym. ;-)

Now if I could just keep my mouth shut and stop eating! :-0

Archived