Fitness Thread

ledzepfvr

Wow....this was great seeing all the responses here. Thanks to justawoman and jb126 for suggesting and motivating me to start this thread and hopefully a journey together towards the path of better living. Just reading through it tonight motivated me to go and work out. Only 25 minutes but it's a start. I was gun-hoe one time quite awhile back and hurt myself doing too much too soon. Stair stepping tonight with 3 lb weights alternated with stretching. Lordy.....I am so out of shape.

Since I have been watching my eating for the last couple of weeks I've lost 4 lbs but that won't go far without the exercise.

I got a trainer last month and lost 10 lbs after him putting me on the paleo diet and constant exercise. Then school started, and it was hard to make paleo food that was quick and easy for school, and I gained all of it back after having no time for the trainer!!!

I feel awful and I promised myself I would never develop these eating habits again, but here we are!

Anyway, I have lots of websites of delicious alternatives to fatty and unhealthy foods (and while they do take a little more preparation) they help in the long-run!

Here's my favorite: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/

If you take a look at the "recipes" page, you'll find a haven of gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and sometimes vegetarian delights! You may think that they wouldn't taste very good with all the substitutes, but they really do :)

Does anyone here do yoga? Can you really get fit doing yoga? And I'm not talking about what they call 'hot yoga', where you do yoga in a room that's like 92 degrees. (Yuck, I live in South Louisiana, I want to get away from the heat not into it!) I've taken a few yoga classes and have some yoga dvd's, and I really like doing it. It's no impact and that's good for these getting older joints of mine, but . . . when I do yoga instead of riding my bike or walking or my Total Gym, I feel like its not a true workout. I'll break a light sweat and can feel some muscle exhaustion doing certain poses, but is it really a good enough workout? I'd appreciate any others thoughts, especially if they are familiar with yoga. :-)

I have a friend who recently became certified as a Bikram Yoga instructor...after going through a hellacious training program. A yoga boot camp, so-to-speak. "Hot Yoga" is far more than 92°F....try 105-110° F. with humidity of 40-50%, so it feels even hotter.

Maybe your doctor snears at yoga, and maybe it doesn't provide good cardio, but all I know is that everyone I know that does yoga is in fantastic shape. So it must have some benefits.

Spin class this morning, the instructor did not play any Zeppelin today.

I took my bike to the basement last night, probably won't get any outdoor cycling in for a while.

I got a trainer last month and lost 10 lbs after him putting me on the paleo diet....

I don't know what a paleo diet is, but will google it soon. Love to learn new things.

justawoman, I need to do the same (keep mouth shut).

Spin class this morning, the instructor did not play any Zeppelin today.

I took my bike to the basement last night, probably won't get any outdoor cycling in for a while.

I don't know what a paleo diet is, but will google it soon. Love to learn new things.

The paleo diet is VERY STRICT

No grains, dairy, refined sugars, or processed foods. Organic everything.

Interesting...so it's the opposite of the see food diet.

Just finished a hike around the Bronson Caves in Griffith Park.

Did you find your food was much more expensive while you were following it? No dairy...I don't drink milk. I do eat yogurt every day and sometimes ice cream. How do you get calcium?

Today - "Turbokick" class, then 50 mins skating.

I just went for a walk with a gal pal and she told me about a book she's reading called, 'Wheat Belly'.

Anyone heard of it? It's written by a cardiologist who talks about the differences in the wheat that is being produced today vs in our parents/grandparents day.

I've been hearing more and more about gluten this and wheat that and malabsorption. He might be onto something!

Did you find your food was much more expensive while you were following it? No dairy...I don't drink milk. I do eat yogurt every day and sometimes ice cream. How do you get calcium?

Today - "Turbokick" class, then 50 mins skating.

I took calcium pills because I have a deficiency anyway. I found myself making my mom take me to places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's rather than the closest grocery store. The milk substitutions (almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk) were pretty easy and inexpensive, but the things to make sweets and baked goods were pricey. Some top things on the list to get were

• coconut or almond flour
  • organic honey
  • sea salt
  • EnjoyLife dairy and nut free chocolate chips
  • truvia
  • almond butter (NO PEANUT BUTTER!)
  • gluten-free baking powder

It's more of a hassle than a money-gobbler. However, it's very cleansing. I personally would not go back onto the diet unless I commit to getting the ingredients and cooking. You really do have to learn how to cook.

I would suggest just cutting out the breads and dairy.

Did you find your food was much more expensive while you were following it?

I was thinking of asking the same thing. I don't eat much, but I defintely can't afford brand name and premium stuff. Over here in the UK, 'organic' usually means it costs a lot more than the regular. Same goes for 'free range'

We've got this thing '5-a-day fruit and vegetables', so I always have that as part of my diet. Doesn't fill you up like a cheeseburger does, though

So, Friday I ran up and down the stairs at work more than usual, grocery shopped on my way home, which is like a mile to weave in and out of the isles. I was beat when I got home. No exercising that night.

Saturday I felt like the bottom of a kitty litter box and on the edge of a headache. No exercising that day.

Reasons, excuses, cop out, guilt.

Today, I moved the record player into the room where I exercise and decided to exercise to one side of some of the old albums that have been stashed in the closet for years. I have a clock in that room and found that I kept watching the minutes click by and made time seem to go by slow and when can I get this over with. Using the music instead made it easier. That's about 20-25 minutes of stair stepping, stretching and working upper and lower body. I can't take more than that right now. As I keep up on it, I can work up to a whole album.

My selection tonight was side 2 of Al Stewart's Year of the Cat.

"These days I feel my life just like a river running through the year of the cat"

Today, I moved the record player into the room where I exercise and decided to exercise to one side of some of the old albums that have been stashed in the closet for years. I have a clock in that room and found that I kept watching the minutes click by and made time seem to go by slow and when can I get this over with. Using the music instead made it easier. That's about 20-25 minutes of stair stepping, stretching and working upper and lower body. I can't take more than that right now. As I keep up on it, I can work up to a whole album.

That is fantastic. Music can be a great motivator. Sounds like you've set some goals for yourself as well!

I normally take Mondays off, but I went to the gym for an hour since we don't know what the storm will bring.

I generally try to keep physically fit through running, biking and long distance walking. It's been difficult to find the motivation lately due to a worsening of my depression(the shitty weather we've had over the past few days hasn't helped any). But I still try and force myself when I can.

Have you ever driven chillumpuffer? Driving cars sure does get expensive.

Back to the gym this morning after a day off and it felt great.

No I have never driven sort of. I did go in a car once in a car park when I was about 23 and it was the worst experience ever. Mrs CP drives but the UK is very good to get around on public transport so i don't need to

Archived