Kashmir from Celebration Day on BBC Radio 2

TRic

I certainly haven't heard every 70's Zep bootleg but I've heard a lot of them. If they've ever done a better live Kashmir than the O2 version I don't think I've heard it! Really prefer the Les Paul over the Danelectro for starters...

.....no question....when you hear this multi-tracked version one of the first things that jumps out BIGTIME is the Les Paul.....it's adding to the song in a way the Danelectro never did.....the Les Paul sounds fuller / brighter / warmer and each note seems to carry FOREVER......he's also adding these amazing chords at times that I do not recall him ever doing in the 70's versions......this is UNQUESTIONABLY the greatest live Kashmir......and I suspect I'll end up also feeling the same way about one or two other tracks from the gig as well..............

Simply amazing! It's Titanic, but doesn't sink! To me, probably the best live version I've ever heard them do. Although, some of the 1977 versions are up there. Especially from Los Angeles. Nothing more to say...just need to listen to it more!

.....no question....when you hear this multi-tracked version one of the first things that jumps out BIGTIME is the Les Paul.....it's adding to the song in a way the Danelectro never did.....the Les Paul sounds fuller / brighter / warmer and each note seems to carry FOREVER......he's also adding these amazing chords at times that I do not recall him ever doing in the 70's versions......this is UNQUESTIONABLY the greatest live Kashmir......and I suspect I'll end up also feeling the same way about one or two other tracks from the gig as well..............

I couldn't agree more!!

.....you know.....I'd have never remembered something from the gig that night had you not written just this- because I had completely forgotten thinking to myself that- when Robert first hit that note in Kashmir.....at 2:22......I thought: "this guy paced himself perfectly all night- and now he's just totally letting it FLY".........

Robert really does do a great job on this! Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it always his achilles heel, that he had a cold and didn't think he did all that well on the original recording?? Maybe that's why he paced himself for this one?? Just a thought :)

I absolutely love this version!! :)

Robert really does do a great job on this! Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it always his achilles heel, that he had a cold and didn't think he did all that well on the original recording?? Maybe that's why he paced himself for this one?? Just a thought :)

I absolutely love this version!! :)

........i do remember him (not back in the 70's but maybe three / four years ago) talking for the first time about how much trouble he had recording the vocal tracks for Presence.......but I have never heard him talk about having trouble with Kashmir in the studio......clearly he did have some raspiness on most of the vocal tracks that were recorded at the actual Graffiti sessions themselves (obviously not the earlier tracks that were taken from the III, IV and Houses sessions).... Trampled Underfoot in particular was very raspy (still sounds amazing, though!).....but I always felt his studio vocals on Kashmir were not only the best vocals on Graffiti musically speaking.....but technically speaking as well......and the closest I ever heard him come to approximating those really tough parts were at that second night in Long Beach in '75......interestingly enough he was terrible on March 10th.....but the March 11th Kashmir has probably the closest live vocals to that epic original......although overall I absolutely will say that the 02 version is the greatest live version ever......even Robert's performance.....I've listened to it five times today and it gets scarier each time!......and Page definitely added some sort of effect around those vocals......not to the vocal....not the vocal itself, strangely.....but there is clearly something going on whenever the vocals are there.....and only when they are there!.....if you listen closely there's this strange effect that was added......trust me, I know it sounds ridiculous......but listen closely......it's as though the ambient air-space between all the instruments and the vocals.....the actual ambient sound.....becomes TOTALLY DIFFERENT when Robert is singing.....and only when Robert is singing.....and whatever it is, it is AWESOME......it makes the whole experience that much more intense.......and if somebody here in this forum knows what the hell was done with that, I'd love to know!!!.....because I don't recall ever hearing that sort of effect before......with Zeppelin or Robert or anybody.......... .......... .......... ....

love hearing this in perfect, mixed quality finally. Must say, very, very tasteful use of the whammy pedal by mr. page, doesn't go crazy with it, just accents the song very very well and adds a new dimension to it. They just absolutely kill this song, no wonder it's the first one from the reunion that they're putting out in full. Just huge, heavy, swaggering, and deserving of being put up their with the rest of their material.

........i do remember him (not back in the 70's but maybe three / four years ago) talking for the first time about how much trouble he had recording the vocal tracks for Presence.......but I have never heard him talk about having trouble with Kashmir in the studio......clearly he did have some raspiness on most of the vocal tracks that were recorded at the actual Graffiti sessions themselves (obviously not the earlier tracks that were taken from the III, IV and Houses sessions).... Trampled Underfoot in particular was very raspy (still sounds amazing, though!).....but I always felt his studio vocals on Kashmir were not only the best vocals on Graffiti musically speaking.....but technically speaking as well......and the closest I ever heard him come to approximating those really tough parts were at that second night in Long Beach in '75......interestingly enough he was terrible on March 10th.....but the March 11th Kashmir has probably the closest live vocals to that epic original......although overall I absolutely will say that the 02 version is the greatest live version ever......even Robert's performance.....I've listened to it five times today and it gets scarier each time!......and Page definitely added some sort of effect around those vocals......not to the vocal....not the vocal itself, strangely.....but there is clearly something going on whenever the vocals are there.....and only when they are there!.....if you listen closely there's this strange effect that was added......trust me, I know it sounds ridiculous......but listen closely......it's as though the ambient air-space between all the instruments and the vocals.....the actual ambient sound.....becomes TOTALLY DIFFERENT when Robert is singing.....and only when Robert is singing.....and whatever it is, it is AWESOME......it makes the whole experience that much more intense.......and if somebody here in this forum knows what the hell was done with that, I'd love to know!!!.....because I don't recall ever hearing that sort of effect before......with Zeppelin or Robert or anybody.......... ..........

I remember reading a quote from Robert about the studio version of "Kashmir" that he recorded it in sections and never felt he gave a good performance on the studio version. In fact he said he felt he sang it better live every time compared to the studio version. I always guage his singing of "Kashmir" live by the long wail in the middle section of the song - that's what makes it, for me, on the vocal end. Jimmy, JPJ and Jason sound wonderful together on this 02 version and Robert sounded like the Golden God of the 70's!

:)

I certainly haven't heard every 70's Zep bootleg but I've heard a lot of them. If they've ever done a better live Kashmir than the O2 version I don't think I've heard it! Really prefer the Les Paul over the Danelectro for starters...

It was played with the Les Paul for the whole of '75. The nature of the '77-'80 setlists necessitated the need for the danelectro because Jimmy played White Summer/Black Mountainside right before Kashmir and launched straight into it, I've only really just picked up the guitar but I believe WS/BMS are in the same tuning as Kashmir. When the band nailed the transition into Kashmir from Black Mountainside it was awesome imo, 6-21-77 is up there with the best.

It was played with the Les Paul for the whole of '75. The nature of the '77-'80 setlists necessitated the need for the danelectro because Jimmy played White Summer/Black Mountainside right before Kashmir and launched straight into it, I've only really just picked up the guitar but I believe WS/BMS are in the same tuning as Kashmir. When the band nailed the transition into Kashmir from Black Mountainside it was awesome imo, 6-21-77 is up there with the best.

This is true, it's all in DADGAD.

If they've ever done a better live Kashmir than the O2 version I don't think I've heard it! Really prefer the Les Paul over the Danelectro for starters...

Agreed. Stunning performance !

.....jeeze, you're right......and come to think of it- I don't believe I ever ended up knowing which guitar was used for the studio version.........anyone on that???

the "effect" is Plant's mic being so hot it picks up the audio in the monitors in front of him and the O2 to a lesser degree. At times, Roy Williams (running FOH for Plant) does add reverb, delay and a other effects) selectively, not thru the entire track. The effect I believe you are referring to is on the entire track and it is most evident when Plant wanders front center stage left near the monitor. Its a nice shimmer.

Jimmy had the audio split to two consoles, one for recording and one for the house. The instrument feeds to the recording console are nice and tight and clean. The vocal was clean to both- its just that the house monitors at the front of the platform were screaming hot = feedback in the house, not on the recording console. :dont:

http://www.fohonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1286&Itemid=39

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/jun08/articles/ledzeppelin.htm

Elton John had some similar issues at the O2- when the arena is empty its ringy and bouncy, when full of bodies it absorbs a great deal of sound so for the house sound they drive up the vocals and oh my dayum there goes the squeeeeel and feedback.

No matter, the finished mix is brilliant and the guitar work is #1. Page had some much technique and savvy going on its hard to believe he did it. Someone asked why he didn't have the Eventide phaser on the cymbals and I think it is because he was so effect heavy that having effects on both would be too busy and collide sonically.

Beautifully done with power, poise and mastery.

.............and Page definitely added some sort of effect around those vocals......not to the vocal....not the vocal itself, strangely.....but there is clearly something going on whenever the vocals are there.....and only when they are there!.....if you listen closely there's this strange effect that was added......trust me, I know it sounds ridiculous......but listen closely......it's as though the ambient air-space between all the instruments and the vocals.....the actual ambient sound.....becomes TOTALLY DIFFERENT when Robert is singing.....and only when Robert is singing.....and whatever it is, it is AWESOME......it makes the whole experience that much more intense.......and if somebody here in this forum knows what the hell was done with that, I'd love to know!!!.....

oh my God, I so get why people have written they are in tears at the the theatre....I am sitting in my living room with the head phones on and this just blew my friggin mind...That was phucking brilliant...thanks for posting!

the "effect" is Plant's mic being so hot it picks up the audio in the monitors in front of him and the O2 to a lesser degree. At times, Roy Williams (running FOH for Plant) does add reverb, delay and a other effects) selectively, not thru the entire track. The effect I believe you are referring to is on the entire track and it is most evident when Plant wanders front center stage left near the monitor. Its a nice shimmer.

Jimmy had the audio split to two consoles, one for recording and one for the house. The instrument feeds to the recording console are nice and tight and clean. The vocal was clean to both- its just that the house monitors at the front of the platform were screaming hot = feedback in the house, not on the recording console. :dont:

http://www.fohonline...=1286&Itemid=39

http://www.performin...ledzeppelin.htm

Elton John had some similar issues at the O2- when the arena is empty its ringy and bouncy, when full of bodies it absorbs a great deal of sound so for the house sound they drive up the vocals and oh my dayum there goes the squeeeeel and feedback.

No matter, the finished mix is brilliant and the guitar work is #1. Page had some much technique and savvy going on its hard to believe he did it. Someone asked why he didn't have the Eventide phaser on the cymbals and I think it is because he was so effect heavy that having effects on both would be too busy and collide sonically.

Beautifully done with power, poise and mastery.

.......amazing.......cannot BELIEVE the detailed information both of these links go into.......thank you so much for both your answer and these two links......in the rehearsals-phase leading up to this show, I was directly in touch with some of the principles.....and believe me when I tell you that there were definitely some major issues regarding how this Metallica sound-man Mick was gonna be miking Jason's bass-drum for the house PA.......because Lars Ulrich's live bass drum sound is basically the complete opposite of what John Bonham went for live (Lars bass-drum is completely focused on the hit, or the attack- while John Bonham's bass-sound had NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT AT ALL; his bass-drum sound was entirely focused on the CARRY......on what comes AFTER THE HIT......but unfortunately for Jason, by miking it in that way (both back in the 70's and if they were going to attempt that at the 02 gig as well) there will invariably always be major feedback problems.....both onstage, in the multi-tracked recordings, and over the PA......that's why if you listen to any audience recordings of Zeppelin gigs that also happened to be professionally recorded on that evening- the bass-drum wouldn't have nearly the amount of balls that it would normally have on any audience recording of a gig that was not being recorded.....that's because they could not mike his bass-drum up the way Bonzo normally preferred them to be miked because it would it cause major problems with for professional multi-tracked recording......listen to the bass drum on TSRTS......you can barely hearthe fucking thing (and on the audience boots from 7/27-28-29/73 as well)......whereas listen to his bass-drum on audience recordings like 4/28/77 or 6/21-23/77......it's the scariest sounding live bass-drum you'll ever hear...... ......

Archived