Kashmir from Celebration Day on BBC Radio 2

TRic

.....jeeze, you're right......and come to think of it- I don't believe I ever ended up knowing which guitar was used for the studio version.........anyone on that???

The Les Paul I believe but not entirely sure.

The Les Paul I believe but not entirely sure.

He used the Dano (or something very similar) for the studio recording. Definitely not the rich thickness of LP. You can hear the single-coil thinness as he hits the D string between chords in the main progression. I have a Danelectro reissue and it sounds almost identical to the studio sound.

^^^

It is unfathomable that nobody has thought to ask Jimmy Page this very basic question in all the interviews he's given over the years: What guitar did he use to record "Kashmir"?

I'll have to check the new Brad Tolinski book to see if he covers this topic. This should be a project undertaken soon before it's too late: Sit Jimmy down and track-by-track go over every guitar and amplifier Jimmy used in the recording process of all the Led Zeppelin albums.

....listen to the bass drum on TSRTS......you can barely hearthe fucking thing (and on the audience boots from 7/27-28-29/73 as well)......whereas listen to his bass-drum on audience recordings like 4/28/77 or 6/21-23/77......it's the scariest sounding live bass-drum you'll ever hear...... ......

Another excellent audience tape to listen for Bonzo's monster bass drum sound is the 9.14.71 Berkeley show...especially on "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Black Dog" and "Dazed and Confused", you can hear it resonate throughout the hall crisply. None of that dull thud you get in concerts today.

^^^

It is unfathomable that nobody has thought to ask Jimmy Page this very basic question in all the interviews he's given over the years: What guitar did he use to record "Kashmir"?

I'll have to check the new Brad Tolinski book to see if he covers this topic. This should be a project undertaken soon before it's too late: Sit Jimmy down and track-by-track go over every guitar and amplifier Jimmy used in the recording process of all the Led Zeppelin albums.

The one magazine article that does the rounds every few years has Jimmy answer similar questions about other songs, but (if I recall correctly) he sounded a little unsure about some of them - he probably honestly doesn't remember such details for each track at this point.

The one magazine article that does the rounds every few years has Jimmy answer similar questions about other songs, but (if I recall correctly) he sounded a little unsure about some of them - he probably honestly doesn't remember such details for each track at this point.

he kept and keeps meticulous notes about settings and equipment, I don't buy the entire "not sure" comments that he offers up. He feigns "not sure." All I hear is "not telling mate."

I have heard that they laid down Kashmir three different times and were frustrated with the results. One was with a drone sound in the background and throughout underneath acoustics, less epic in length. The second reportedly Page used a 12string electric and a RIcki 6string- it sounded like other songs they did so it was scrapped. If I am to believe the account, they ended up just playing it straight up, laid down the track with a string section. The mix moves everything out of the way of the drums and vocals so its iffy to try and dive into the mix and tell exactly what went on. It sounds like they mixed down the tracks- added drums- added vocals and said this is what we have. Press it.

^^^

Another excellent audience tape to listen for Bonzo's monster bass drum sound is the 9.14.71 Berkeley show...especially on "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Black Dog" and "Dazed and Confused", you can hear it resonate throughout the hall crisply. None of that never dull thud you get in concerts today.

........yeah, no question.......San Fran '71 is a perfect example of that......but in their entire live journey, there is nothing that touches that big doomy sound of the '77 shows.....the Alembic coupled w/ Bonham's absurdly over-the-top miking of the bass drum...I was told that it drove Jimmy NUTS in '77......he never liked the alembic sound to begin with.......and now Bonzo had decided to go completely GONZO with the bass-drum.......the feedback in '77 was beyond hysterical (best example would be that blues jam in the middle of Joney's solo in NQ from 6-23)......personally I loved every second of it but I can imagine it driving anyone onstage completely nuts......and it will haunt me till the end that they never multi-tracked a single fucking show from the whole '77 run........especially the June shows at MSG and out in LA........when that sbd of 6-7 came out two years ago I could not believe Bonham's drums on ALS......that drumming performance is to Achilles what 6-21 is to TSRTS.......untouchable........

any other guitarists figure out what Page is doing in the final two chorus' and outtro ? interesting departure and technique, have not nailed it yet. He stays on scale he is all over the effects and the video cuts away to much to get a tutorial on it... gah !

We—forum users—could embark on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01ncl12 starts at 1 hour 43 secs

Don't you mean 1 hour, 43 minutes?

I'm listening to it from the mark you gave and the song hasn't come up yet.

Though I got goosebumps from the preview already. I always thought Kashmir was one of the most beautiful songs ever played by man, and this treatment... Wow.

any other guitarists figure out what Page is doing in the final two chorus' and outtro ? interesting departure and technique, have not nailed it yet. He stays on scale he is all over the effects and the video cuts away to much to get a tutorial on it... gah !

are you talking about all the whammy pedal stuff he's doing? I mean page is basically just very, very tastefull using the whammy pedal to accent the riff, not going all tom morello crazy on it, but yeah using it in a very subtle way to accent the riff.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Friday, Nov. 9th, I believe I heard the end of the live "Kashmir" playing as I tuned into local station KZPS 92.5 FM in Dallas. Yes.com isn't giving me the call log listings from Friday, so I can't verify it, but I think KZPS, and perhaps other stations are already playing "Kashmir" from Celebration Day. And that's cool, because, I think that the liver version of "Kashmir" is much more powerful than the studio version.

Last Friday, Nov. 9th, I believe I heard the end of the live "Kashmir" playing as I tuned into local station KZPS 92.5 FM in Dallas. Yes.com isn't giving me the call log listings from Friday, so I can't verify it, but I think KZPS, and perhaps other stations are already playing "Kashmir" from Celebration Day. And that's cool, because, I think that the liver version of "Kashmir" is much more powerful than the studio version.

You are correct!!! I heard it several times throughout the day on 92.5 KZPS....I do love it....better than the studio version.

You are correct!!! I heard it several times throughout the day on 92.5 KZPS....I do love it....better than the studio version.

It's mind blowing and I certainly agree! I think only the performance from LA on June 21, 1977 can compare to this one.

It's mind blowing and I certainly agree! I think only the performance from LA on June 21, 1977 can compare to this one.

All things are relative.....

The Ft. Worth, Tx. version on May 22nd, 1977 was out-of-body-experience mind-blowing....

But, as I said, the Celebration Day version is liver than the studio version :)

Hopefully, this live version will replace the studio version for all Classic Rock programmers.

One can hope.

Archived