New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Take a glimpse inside the forthcoming Super Deluxe Edition of LED ZEPPELIN'S HOUSES OF THE HOLY with the video below.

Full details of all formats available here: http://www.ledzeppelin.com

Brings a tear to my eye, that song. Is and always will be my favorite song of all time and it makes that trailer so much more special. Can't wait...

Edited by IzzyBlues

After listening to the "unreleased" Rain Song, the difference between it and the original is the mix. Drums sound clearer as well as the bass and Plant's vocals (at the beginning) sound like he is singing in a small hallway and the acoustic guitar is not center in the mix. There is some instrumentation overdubs omitted especially at the end.

But this is not a "unreleased studio outtake" as advertised. It is a different mix. Since I've Been Loving You is an example of an unreleased studio outtake.

I must say that I have not been the least bit impressed with the LZ IV and Houses tracks that I have heard so far. I hope that these DE discs don't end up being a mockery of the concept. I am on the fence as to whether Jimmy has missed the mark in his approach, but with the next albums, all will be revealed, and an informed opinion made. LZ III is the only album that has been well done so far.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Seems what that guy told me months ago was correct! It is certainly a shame that the original idea for No Quarter was not included. I feel these companion discs should be filled with stuff from the bootlegs regardless of whether or not they are top notch quality. Stuff the like the Flute and tabla drums version of Four Stix and the aforementioned rough idea for No Quarter are extremely interesting in and of themselves. Even with youtube and those of us who collect boots, there are still many many more who have not heard this stuff yet and they should. they provide a much better picture than a simple alternate mix that doesn't really sound that much different overall than the original.

What's going to end up on PG an alternate mix of kashmir only slightly removed from its album counterpart? I hope not.

Edited by juxtiphi

Well that's a disappointing near identical alternative version. Great song but this brings nothing new or exciting to the table.

LZ3 companion has set the mark quite high, and I even think that could have been much better.

Even on III, the alternate mix of Celebration Day was interesting (to me at least) because it sounded different enough from the original. This mix of Rock and Roll sounds too similar for me

Even on III, the alternate mix of Celebration Day was interesting (to me at least) because it sounded different enough from the original. This mix of Rock and Roll sounds too similar for me

That's interesting because Celebration Day was probably the big disappointment for me on that disk. I just couldn't really spot any real difference at all. What am I missing??

III would have had some very interesting sketches and outtakes which could have been included.

I think the format of adhering to the original track list is actually working against the conpanion disks. I would prefer if the focus was just on capturing relevant outtakes from the era, even multiple versions of the same track would be fine - assuming enough variation between the versions. Even if it is previously 'released' on bootleg (to an extent). But it's starting to feel like a lot of tracks are being included just for the sake of it.

I personally thought the inclusion of the instrumental tracks on II and III were also a bit weak.

That's interesting because Celebration Day was probably the big disappointment for me on that disk. I just couldn't really spot any real difference at all. What am I missing??

You aren't necessarily missing anything, it's just my personal opinion on it. Different balance on guitars, echo on vocals, drums sound clearer and punchier to me. Of course this could not be clear to everybody, this is just my impression on it. It's possible you can't notice it, and there's nothing wrong with that; everyone has their own attuned ears! I just got a kick out of the different sound this version has, even though it is a pretty small change. I absolutely love this song so any alternate take or whatever is something I will thoroughly enjoy. :thumbsup:

Only a week to go now.

I'm quite excited about the alternate mix of Four Sticks, always thought that song was a little underrated.

Agreed. It is a masterpiece of musicianship, but it tends to fly well below the radar. Its another one of those tracks where an analysis of what is really going on in the mix can be very beneficial. Robert's vocals are tortured and haunting. This is a 10 out 10.

Agreed. It is a masterpiece of musicianship, but it tends to fly well below the radar. Its another one of those tracks where an analysis of what is really going on in the mix can be very beneficial. Robert's vocals are tortured and haunting. This is a 10 out 10.

I didn't really care for it until the Unledded reinterpretation. Since then, I have a better appreciation for what is going on with the studio version.

In a similar vein, I don't think I fully appreciated OTHAFA until hearing live versions. Crazy how that happens.

I didn't really care for it until the Unledded reinterpretation. Since then, I have a better appreciation for what is going on with the studio version.

In a similar vein, I don't think I fully appreciated OTHAFA until hearing live versions. Crazy how that happens.

It is interesting. To be perfectly honest, after 35 years of being a committed Zeppelin fan, I got to the point where I was pretty sick of their music, not because it was bad, but because I had over-played it for several decades. Then oneday I started listening to them with my analytical ears on, and it opened a whole new world of appreciation for me. Rather than just feeling the music, in a superficial or surface kind of way, I now tend to analyze everything that is going on in the mix, and view it in terms of its myriad bits, pieces, and overdubs, and I must say that there is utter brilliance in most of Led Zeppelin's studio music. An analytical listen to songs such as Achilles is mind boggling when you listen to the many, many, guitar overdubs, or JPJ's hostile work on his alembic bass. I now tend to listen to a lot of over played music, by various groups, with a very analytical and construction appreciative ear. That is why I love ITTOD when many don't. Again, the construction of that album, and most of the tunes on it, is mind boggling, despite the fact that it is dismissed by many as simple and poppy. It is anything but simple.

Edited by The Dark Lord

It is interesting. To be perfectly honest, after 35 years of being a committed Zeppelin fan, I got to the point where I was pretty sick of their music, not because it was bad, but because I had over-played it for several decades. Then oneday I started listening to them with my analytical ears on, and it opened a whole new world of appreciation for me. Rather than just feeling the music, in a superficial or surface kind of way, I now tend to analyze everything that is going on in the mix, and view it in terms of its myriad bits, pieces, and overdubs, and I must say that there is utter brilliance in most of Led Zeppelin's studio music. An analytical listen to songs such as Achilles is mind boggling when you listen to the many, many, guitar overdubs, or JPJ's hostile work on his alembic bass. I now tend to listen to a lot of over played music, by various groups, with a very analytical and construction appreciative ear. That is why I love ITTOD when many don't. Again, the construction of that album, and most of the tunes on it, is mind boggling, despite the fact that it is dismissed by many as simple and poppy. It is anything but simple.

Couldn't agree with you more! I always skipped over Four Sticks because it never really caught my attention. But after looking at it and realizing how HARD it is to play on drums and how simply complicated (you heard me :bubble: ) and brilliant it is, I can't get enough of it.

The outtake probably many of us have of Jimmy layering all the parts for Ten Years Gone, while rough, is awe inspiring. The effort, creativity, and labor of love it represents is revealing.

The 4-disc box set from 1990 has a quote from Robert referring to the "concentration" required to assemble something like that. It's been rewarding to listen for/to all those parts on the final product.