New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Sure, it's a band, but it's Jimmy who has been in charge of this, choosing who to share updates with. He chose to share details with his manager, he chose to arrange meetings with RP and JPJ, he chose to be asked questions about the box sets in interviews. If any member of LZ chooses how and when these box sets are released, it's Jimmy. Jimmy was the driving force behind the original Remasters box sets, the DVD, Mothership etc. It was a band, now it's JP going through the archives with the occasional help of the other two living members.

From an industry point of view, releasing a major box set series on RSD is a very bad idea. It works for singles and one-off production runs as you benefit from the organisation and shops' marketing spends. But for a major release such as the upcoming box sets, you risk being lost in the crowd. It's like trying to launch a new seasonal holiday on the same day as Christmas.

Well said James as usual. I know according to one poster here ( I think it was posted yesterday) that this first part of the box sets is being held up due to publishing rights for the band that are being changed or just going through their lawyers and having it done properly to their liking before these sets are issued. It was heard on Carol Miller's. "Get The Led Out" daily show on 104.3 FM in NYC.

As you mentioned James, a single before these releases to be issued would be a good thing. Will it be one for each album or what....we don't know. We still don't know exactly how they will be released a few at a time or individually. It would be so cool to release at least one unreleased track for radio or internet (perhaps iTunes) a few weeks prior to the actual release. Whether it's a completely new song, that's never seen the light of day or an outtake of a familiar song it will be welcome. Tough for me to say on this as we yet know how these will be released. A few at a time, perhaps I-IV or individually, so it's tough to comment on this. Either way, I think, we'll be pleased with these overall!!

Find that funny eh? Seriously...they all have equal say. Now if Page wears them down that's one thing, but he can't just go releasing things without the rest of the band's consent.

Edit: Unless the other members of the band just sign off or have forfeited their rights.....but I don't see that ever happening

As the days pass and we get closer to that "line in the sand" that is the last marketing days before the

Christmas Holiday shopping season - it is looking less and less like we will see ANY box set from

the Zeppelin Corp.

There will be a point where it is too late for any retailer to stock and promote the box set in time

for the maniacal Christmas shoppers...look for a late 2014 release instead.

Aen, that's a cool thought. Reminiscent of how David Bowie's birthday was the trigger for his album release this year : so dramatic.

But that would involve a personal self-aggrandisement by Jimmy which would perhaps jar with the way LZ stuff is presented.

I do tend to think we are talking about the new year and no sooner...

Aen, that's a cool thought. Reminiscent of how David Bowie's birthday was the trigger for his album release this year : so dramatic.

But that would involve a personal self-aggrandisement by Jimmy which would perhaps jar with the way LZ stuff is presented.

Jimmy will be 70 almost as soon as the new year starts. I could visulize him releasing it at the same time. It won't be 2013 at this rate.

Jimmy's birthday would be in the new year.

Only time will tell...frankly, I have enough to buy this year anyway.

if they were to be announced soon the hype machine would be well in motion by now one would think.

I wouldn't have thought it likely that the O2 concert would be announced one month, released theatrically the next, and then be on my shelf a month after that.

Sometimes I wonder if Jimmy deliberately tosses out ideas, projects, and dates just

to throw us off and give us something to get excited about only to be let down - and

then he comes through at some time way down the road...

^well it better be one hell of a payoff when he finally releases his solo album :P

I still have faith that we will either see one of these releases by the end of this year or get some sort of offical acknowledgement about them.

I still feel a little out of it, being in New Zealand. However I do hear snippets of information from the other side of this world and I haven't heard anything except waht is shared on this site. Thanks to all for the news you all carry to post here.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand your pessimism for sure Potted!

So much was expected this year from Jimmy- through his own comments - and yet we have come up empty handed in 2013...pessimism is the only thing we have left to show this year!

i will say, random thought, but here's to hoping that if and when these come out we get some kind of live version of No Quarter. Such a travesty they couldn't find one to include for the Led Zep DVD all those years ago even though for example it was played at knebworth. Feel like even as recently as the Zep DVD Jonesy was still getting the shaft in terms of officially released things showcasing his chops.

i will say, random thought, but here's to hoping that if and when these come out we get some kind of live version of No Quarter. Such a travesty they couldn't find one to include for the Led Zep DVD all those years ago even though for example it was played at knebworth. Feel like even as recently as the Zep DVD Jonesy was still getting the shaft in terms of officially released things showcasing his chops.

NQ is on The Song Remains The Same after all.

Archived