New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I agree with this. I wrote a letter to The Guardian newspaper ( it was published) about this when he couldn't be arsed to collect the lifetime achievement award for Zeppelin a few years ago in the States.

Whilst Jimmy is proud of his achievements with Zeppelin, Plant always seems to be dismissive of his history and as Andrew says embarrassed by it. Never really understood that of him. But to be fair he has always been like that. Ever since i saw The Honeydrippers at Manchester Poly all those years ago and his first solo tour where he said "Piss Off" to someone who shouted Stairway, Robert Plant may as well never have been in the group. But then again he does seem to play a fair few Zeppelin tunes when he plays live

Thats what really burns,if you dont believe in / want to play Zeppelin tunes fair enough,

but to play them badly with a second rate guitarist and bill yourself as "the voice of led zeppelin"

that earns you the andrew arse award! Otherwise known as AAA rated. Ha

Thats what really burns,if you dont believe in / want to play Zeppelin tunes fair enough,

but to play them badly with a second rate guitarist and bill yourself as "the voice of led zeppelin"

that earns you the andrew arse award! Otherwise known as AAA rated. Ha

...It burns me too that he plays zeppelin but won't play with zeppelin...

...but the musicians he plays with definitely have an affinity for the blues with a lil psychedelia thrown in and Robert gets to play smaller more quaint venues which gives better atmosphere and audience rapport...i speculate he likes this... as others have said before playing with Zeppelin is a huge task beyond even just the massive stadiums they would HAVE to play to meet demand...no more raunchy blues at a small venue...

in terms of the comments about his younger self imagine the perspective he's gained since then... but even now he wails and throws in ad libs on the fly so there is still a ... little Robert Anthony that wants to come and play...

He may wanna do it again someday... but it will have to be on his terms...

...that raw WLL is SICK!!!

Let's not turn this thread into a Robert basher, or a "I wish they would perform live" -- let's focus on what we're all here for: The vintage, unreleased material included on the remasters.

Based on what Rebecca Jones said to Matt Everett during their interview, it sounds like the BBC presenters got to hear the full tracks, and that "Whole Lotta Love" might miss the theremin breakdown. I could be wrong, however -- we'll have to wait and see when the track is released on iTunes!

"Keys to the Highway" is surprisingly bluesy to me. Really digging what I hear.

Definite buys, anyone who disagrees is a lost cause in my book. :)

Let's not turn this thread into a Robert basher, or a "I wish they would perform live" -- let's focus on what we're all here for: The vintage, unreleased material included on the remasters.

Based on what Rebecca Jones said to Matt Everett during their interview, it sounds like the BBC presenters got to hear the full tracks, and that "Whole Lotta Love" might miss the theremin breakdown. I could be wrong, however -- we'll have to wait and see when the track is released on iTunes!

"Keys to the Highway" is surprisingly bluesy to me. Really digging what I hear.

Definite buys, anyone who disagrees is a lost cause in my book. :)

You are of course quite correct didn't want to Bob bash,its just the way

he doesn't seem to get how important this stuff still is, to millions of us

that grates,he never discusses the nuts and bolts of how a vocal came out or the effects used

just excuses his younger self as if embarrassed by it all

As a fan it has been frustrating to endure Robert's refusals to be part of any post-O2 (or any other time) Zeppelin tour. And yet, I have to admire his desire to not "cash in" that way (maybe there's a better way to say that). There's a certain integrity there.

Yes, he plays a good number of Zeppelin songs with his band (has done for years), but it's always been his interpretation at that moment, so it's more apples and oranges.

However, it does seem he's going a bit too far in dismissing his own glorious work. It's almost like he's afraid of over-celebrating. We've all heard his thinly veiled swipes at aging rockers who keep rehashing and reliving past glories. I think Robert is trying very hard to not be seen in the same way. But, he can feel proud of what he did a lifetime ago with Zeppelin and still be a musician on his own terms.

But...the "new" tracks sound very intriguing.

Sorry to upset all the Bob lovers on the board but man comes across as a complete arse these days.

Couldn't agree more. He has always been so full of himself but now it sounds even worse.

that grates,he never discusses the nuts and bolts of how a vocal came out or the effects used

Wasn't meaning to point anyone out in particular -- I feel much the same way as other people, but I don't want them to lose focus.

I think a lot of people could use some candor, which the new interviews give.

However, it does seem he's going a bit too far in dismissing his own glorious work. It's almost like he's afraid of over-celebrating. We've all heard his thinly veiled swipes at aging rockers who keep rehashing and reliving past glories. I think Robert is trying very hard to not be seen in the same way. But, he can feel proud of what he did a lifetime ago with Zeppelin and still be a musician on his own terms.

While it might seem odd or annoying to us, we shouldn't judge someone whose point-of-view we don't have, and will likely never understand.

I don't disagree with a lot of what Robert says -- but whereas he might say it with a roll of the eyes and a smirk, I bask in his youthful glory. Different strokes for different folks. At least they finally agreed to give us some goodies. :)

I feel the same,it seems he does not realize how many love and idolize him,he just doesnt seem to care and I am losing my early opionios of him being such a great guy

Seems to me that he is just trying to stop the endless questions of reunion from the start, we all know his position, it's something we just have to accept, if at some point he changes his mind then let the party begin :-)

I for one don't care for his current choice of musical direction, sounds awful to me , but the impending explosion of Zeppelin goodies that are nearly upon us is beyond exciting !

Generally speaking, yes.

Speaking of Pallas pressing plant; The Celebration Day vinyl box set was pressed at Pallas. However they decided to print the boxes seperately (US/Europe) but the vinyls are the same for both continents. I have a very fine stereo set up with a high end turntable (ProJect, Rotel, Canton, Ortofon 2M black stylus) and can confirm the very high quality pressings they make and I am sure that the reissues will be treated with the same respect.

Just having a quick listen to the Keys to the highway sample and it's put a new level of excitement and perspective on the whole event for me. This is a track that was never mentioned, as far as I can tell, from any of the zepp authorities. A complete unknown outtake. Despite previous assurances that the vault has been emptied, by Page himself, what else is hiding in there...:)

I'd think id convinced myself that the content of the companion disks would be overly familiar bootlegged studio outtakes albeit cleaned up.

Suddenly I find myself exceptionally excited to listen what jimmy is serving up, alternative versions and all!

Super delux sets now pre-ordered and record player about to be purchased for the event.

Radio 4 interview 23/04/2014:

Jimmy Page - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01xrydj

Robert Plant - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01xry49

Sam, thanks for the unboxing video and Mr E, Wow great interviews!!

Jimmy truly loves what was accomplished, and while all four members in my eyes are equal, yet another reason that without Bonzo it can never be the same and Jason did amazing in 2007 and I adore him but Bonzo was as they say...bombastic!! A lot of people aren't into the the long Moby Dick, but if you heard it live it was mind blowing! I look at this way and this is only my opinion that this was Jimmy's baby..and you never stop being a parent. My greatest hope is to see Jimmy live on stage again doing an acoustic set. I literally have an account with money set aside so that no matter the cost if he ever decides to do even a small tour I am prepared.

I don't see where Robert said anything negative. He has always been a lover of the blues and I think he gives credit to so many artist. He also is smart enough to know that the pace can never be recaptured IMHO. He walks the walk as he has gone on to do things that I would have never dreamed he would be doing.

The thing about this music to me besides the fact that no other band will ever be better IMHO is that the legacy is there and to tarnish that in any way would be a crime!

Like most everyone else of course it would be great to see them play live again, but my memories of seeing them live in 73 and 75, I prefer the memory of them like that.They were simply beyond magnificent :peace:

Many thanks for posting the interviews and music clips!! So excited to see what's ahead! My favorite part of the interview is Jimmy's:

"It's undeniable that we're good", he adds. The band was the real deal."

Led Zeppelin...the real deal, indeed!!!!!!!

Sam, thanks for the unboxing video and Mr E, Wow great interviews!!

Jimmy truly loves what was accomplished, and while all four members in my eyes are equal, yet another reason that without Bonzo it can never be the same and Jason did amazing in 2007 and I adore him but Bonzo was as they say...bombastic!! A lot of people aren't into the the long Moby Dick, but if you heard it live it was mind blowing! I look at this way and this is only my opinion that this was Jimmy's baby..and you never stop being a parent. My greatest hope is to see Jimmy live on stage again doing an acoustic set. I literally have an account with money set aside so that no matter the cost if he ever decides to do even a small tour I am prepared.

I don't see where Robert said anything negative. He has always been a lover of the blues and I think he gives credit to so many artist. He also is smart enough to know that the pace can never be recaptured IMHO. He walks the walk as he has gone on to do things that I would have never dreamed he would be doing.

The thing about this music to me besides the fact that no other band will ever be better IMHO is that the legacy is there and to tarnish that in any way would be a crime!

Like most everyone else of course it would be great to see them play live again, but my memories of seeing them live in 73 and 75, I prefer the memory of them like that.They were simply beyond magnificent :peace:

Well said Deborah! I'm always in agreement with you and you're always so eloquent with your words! Nothing more needed to say as you summed it up so well! :goodpost::thumbsup:

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to June 3 for the first three albums and the others over the next year or so! :cheer:

It will be all quite interesting and such a great gift to us fans! :toast::bravo:

Hi Dave! You are too kind! I am already planning on taking a day off work when they arrive. Like I told my boss, if you think I am going to be able to concentrate on work you can forget about it! :D

Call when you have time my friend:-),

cool to hear pagey and plant talking about the stuff, talking about the past.

Some have said that Plant sounds like he's brushing off that era relatively speaking, but listening to him talk, you can tell that he's happily reflective of the time, and accepting of how young he was and how heavily into everything he was, the overwhelming enthusiasm.

will be curious to hear if JPJ has much of anything to say along the lines of what the other two have been talking. Did one of the other bits that's out there mention that the rough mix we're going to get on the bonus disc won't have the psychadelic middle section? It's listed as the same length roughly as the original album, so wondering if it's missing the middle section, what all goes down during there.

In reference to 192 KHz/24 bit resolution:

Stooping in quality to the level of mp3 just to save a buck makes me ill these days. What a pity :-(

It's not about saving a buck - it's all about file size.

1 minute of 128 k/bit mp3 takes up about 1mb

1 minute of 192/24 takes up about 33mb

This really mattered when memory was very expensive and the big selling point of digital music players was the sheer number of tunes you could fit on them.

Personally I think that 192/24 is utterly pointless - 96/24 is more than sufficient resolution for incredibly accurate reproduction for anything within the range of human hearing. It would be great if we had the hearing range of, say, dogs or bats...... or if the microphones and recording equipment used in recording studios back in the 70's (and even today....) could actually faithfully reproduce anything above about 18kHz.

For those who are interested and not totally blinded by the 'bigger is always better' bollocks, this makes some really informative reading:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Archived