New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Can't wait to hear LZII remastered, especially Heartbreaker. It sounds a bit too muddy to me on the studio album, compared to the live version on the BBC sessions.

WLL sounds great in that commercial. Interesting variation.

I think WLL will still sound muddy on these remasters...at least a little. There's a blues joke in there somewhere.

i had to back down and cancel the box set order and get the deluxe cds instead, once the order was completed, there was a message saying Includes free MP3 version of this AutoRip album.

The MP3 version of this album will be added to your Cloud Player library on the day of the MP3 album's release. will these mp3s be the HQ versions or not so great rips?

i had to back down and cancel the box set order and get the deluxe cds instead, once the order was completed, there was a message saying Includes free MP3 version of this AutoRip album.

The MP3 version of this album will be added to your Cloud Player library on the day of the MP3 album's release. will these mp3s be the HQ versions or not so great rips?

As Glyn said, they'll be mp3...so, no, you won't get high-resolution lossless downloads from Amazon.

Dealing with money issues...I probably won't be able to afford any of the boxes. Hopefully I'll be able to snatch them up before they're out-of-print and exorbitantly priced...

1297560516271_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Jimmy Page: Led Zeppelin reissues proof band was an 'awesome foursome'
1297238433435_AUTHOR_PHOTO.jpg?quality=8

By John Kryk, QMI Agency

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:14:52 EDT PM

NEW YORK - None of the members of Led Zeppelin ever has been shy about reinforcing the band's place in rock history.

Singer Robert Plant in 1975 famously opined, "It's not only that we think we're the best group in the world, it's just that in our minds we're so much better than whoever is No. 2."

In an interview on Wednesday morning with QMI Agency in a lower Manhattan hotel, guitarist Jimmy Page time and again paid homage to the Mighty Zep, almost as a disassociated admirer would.

"It is an awesome foursome -- that's what it is," Page said while discussing reissues of the band's first three of nine studio albums, which go on sale June 3.

"You get that all the way through these releases."

Deluxe editions of Led Zeppelin I, II and III will contain a companion disc boasting alternate versions and, in the case of III, a newly discovered unreleased track: an ad-hoc acoustic blues number.

In addition to CD, Atlanta/Swan Song also is releasing these dual offerings on vinyl and digital download. A "Super Deluxe Boxed Set" of each will contain all sonic formats plus a hardbound, 70-plus page commemorative photo book of the band circa the album's release, plus a print of the album cover.

Page was the one who formed the band in summer 1968, after the dissolution of the last incarnation of the Yardbirds, in which he was a key figure. Page had a specific aim, and sound, in mind with the new band tentatively dubbed The New Yardbirds.

"I knew I was trying to get a vehicle whereby I could really do all this showcase guitaring," Page said.

For decades Page has said that the four members -- Page, Plant, bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones and late drummer John Bonham -- knew almost instantaneously the first time they played together in August 1968 that they'd hit on something special. Something dynamic beyond any of their expectations.

Page had invited Jones to join, as both were long-time fellow session musician on the London scene. Then Page found Plant out in the English hicks, and it was Plant who suggested his old friend, Bonham, as drummer.

"I can tell you right now," Page said, "that even from that first rehearsal -- we only had, like, half an hour to rehearse in this place -- we just knew straight away that that was it … It was the opportunity for everybody to really flex their muscles, musically, in such a way that we could play in a band as well."

Each of the four Zeppelinites is remembered as one of the most dynamic at his craft in rock history. No one more so than Bonham, who died of asphyxiation in 1980, after a night of drinking shortly before an autumn tour of the United States.

Prior to joining Led Zeppelin, "Bonzo" had never been in a popular band -- mostly just wanna-be bands in the Midlands. His precision pounding, foot-pedal proficiency and creativity on Led Zeppelin I astounded aficionados.

"John Bonham had never had a chance to play like that in any band that he'd been in before," said Page, now 70.

The band broke up three months after Bonham's death, as the three survivors knew there was no way they would ever be the same without Bonham's integral percussion.

In reference to the new, sizzling, alternate take of the Led Zeppelin III blues-belter Since I've Been Loving You, Page said: "This is just sheer energy. And it's just the four of us together.

"It's just undeniable, isn't it? The energy and passion on it."

Twitter: @JohnKryk

john.kryk@sunmedia.ca

http://www.parisstaronline.com/2014/05/14/jimmy-page-led-zeppelin-reissues-proof-band-was-an-awesome-foursome

One thing I'd like to know is how much involvement Robert Plant and John Paul Jones have had in these remasters. It's looking increasingly like it's only Jimmy who has been involved.

The only involvement from Robert has been an interview with the BBC and an extended interview with Rolling Stone.

John Paul Jones, however, has been even less involved, declining to comment on the Rolling Stone interview.

Other than the brief audio clips introducing the Paris 1969 preview track, it's been silence from RP and JPJ.

It has been rumoured that Jimmy Page was originally going to be joined at the Paris listening party next week by Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, but they both cancelled. (I've been unable to verify this.)

The new Jimmy Page interview with BBC Devon that aired last night makes it clear that Jimmy started on the remasters project as an offshoot of a project intended to catalogue his solo material.

In the Sunday edition of the Spanish El País newspaper, Jimmy made it clear that he had been working alone on the remasters, saying "The others aren't here. I don't know what they're doing."

One thing I'd like to know is how much involvement Robert Plant and John Paul Jones have had in these remasters. It's looking increasingly like it's only Jimmy who has been involved.

The only involvement from Robert has been an interview with the BBC and an extended interview with Rolling Stone.

John Paul Jones, however, has been even less involved, declining to comment on the Rolling Stone interview.

Other than the brief audio clips introducing the Paris 1969 preview track, it's been silence from RP and JPJ.

It has been rumoured that Jimmy Page was originally going to be joined at the Paris listening party next week by Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, but they both cancelled. (I've been unable to verify this.)

The new Jimmy Page interview with BBC Devon that aired last night makes it clear that Jimmy started on the remasters project as an offshoot of a project intended to catalogue his solo material.

In the Sunday edition of the Spanish El País newspaper, Jimmy made it clear that he had been working alone on the remasters, saying "The others aren't here. I don't know what they're doing."

I think its safe to say that this is largely Jimmy's project, and that he is the only one with a true heartfelt interest in it. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he felt frustration over the way this has been going down.

Thanks for the link. Curious how the official PR line is that "no alternate tracks exist from the band’s debut" whereas us trainspotters all know (and some even have) several outtakes from LZ1 on bootleg - e.g. BIGLY.

I'm sure this has been covered before in this mammoth thread, but I reckon with Percy's self-confessed embarrassing and overwrought "Baby baby baby" vocalizations, he was probably not up for letting them be released, not to mention the probable lack of decent and relevant outtakes anyway.

Still, roll on June 3rd.

Curious how the official PR line is that there are "no alternate tracks exist from the band’s debut" whereas we all know (and some even have) several outtakes from LZ1 on bootleg - e.g. BIGLY.

I'm sure this has been covered before in this mammoth thread, but I reckon with Percy's self-confessed embarrassing and overwrought "Baby baby baby" vocalizations, he was probably not up for letting them be released, not to mention the probable lack of decent and relevant outtakes anyway.

Still, roll on June 3rd.

I'm most disappointed by the suggestion that the demos with John Paul Jones on vocals will not see the light of day. He is far from a dynamic singer, but what a great insight that would have been toward his contributions to song formation and vocal melodies.

I didnt see the autorip thing here, maybe thats only UK?

This photo has been on some of the coverage of the London listening party. Is it new? I'm trying to figure out how many new photoshoots there have been.

It must be. I have never seen this before. I think there would have been many while he was in New York. When was the London listening party?

It must be. I have never seen this before. I think there would have been many while he was in New York. When was the London listening party?

That figures, here's another write-up of the Olympic Studios listening party (April 25th, I think?) which features the full new photo

http://www.soundbard.com/soundbard/the-song-does-not-remain-the-same-jimmy-page-on-remastering-the-entire-led-zeppelin-studio-catalog/#prettyPhoto

post-20091-0-01973400-1400195264.jpg

It was on March 24 at the former Olympic Studios.

That figures, here's another write-up of the Olympic Studios listening party (April 25th, I think?) which features the full new photo

http://www.soundbard.com/soundbard/the-song-does-not-remain-the-same-jimmy-page-on-remastering-the-entire-led-zeppelin-studio-catalog/#prettyPhoto

It was on March 24 at the former Olympic Studios.

Thank you both. It was new to me.

Archived