New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I was most intrigued by the tracks from III -- Jimmy seems to be pushing that album more, seeing as he's played four tracks from that album at each of the listening events.

The "Heartbreaker" solo is rough, but better sounding in-context (somehow) than when I heard it on the multi-track leaks.

I was most intrigued by the tracks from III -- Jimmy seems to be pushing that album more, seeing as he's played four tracks from that album at each of the listening events.

The "Heartbreaker" solo is rough, but better sounding in-context (somehow) than when I heard it on the multi-track leaks.

I like the HB solo, but lot shorter than the album release. Like the tone from the Telecaster. My problem with Zep II is the the tone, sound and feel of the album has been a bit stale when listening to it. To me, the live versions of songs from this album are so much better than the studio versions....hands down!

I don't have zep 1 or 11 on cd at present except on mp3.Almost bought the old ones at my local store for $5 each.No!!!Just a short time to go and I will be getting all three deluxe editions.

Having listened to the outtakes last night I have to say the thing that I was most taken with was the rough mix of Gallows Pole, I love the original but hearing the bass & vocals so clearly was a revelation & that was on my phone. Also, having played the drums for years, it was a Bonham track which never really stood out as one to learn but hearing it last night has changed all that. Absolutely sublime stuff.

I suspect the new vocals at the end of Immigrant Song will sound huge through my stereo too, didn't really come through on my phone.

As I said on this very thread at the weekend, I can't wait for June 2nd...

All of the tracks -- and particularly those from III -- will sound better and more full when they're finally released. Something about the YT stream really squashed them into (essentially) mono. Comparison with the trailers for III showcases a wider stereo image for "The Immigrant Song."

yes Gallows Pole really grabbed me, especially the guitar part which seemed different.

As far as I can tell, the guitar part is the same...it's just much less prominent in the final mix due to the mandolin, banjo, and electric guitar overdubs.

All of the tracks -- and particularly those from III -- will sound better and more full when they're finally released. Something about the YT stream really squashed them into (essentially) mono. Comparison with the trailers for III showcases a wider stereo image for "The Immigrant Song."

As far as I can tell, the guitar part is the same...it's just much less prominent in the final mix due to the mandolin, banjo, and electric guitar overdubs.

Probably the case, will come in handy for learning the song on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLp57n9VL4

At the Paris event yesterday, at about 3:58 on the You Tube Video of it, Jimmy states that:

"... (after LZ I ) there's no other live performance music (for the rest of the series)."

This may be common knowledge, but I wanted to make it known for anyone that may not have already heard this.

At the Paris event yesterday, at about 3:58 on the You Tube Video of it, Jimmy states that:

"... (after LZ I ) there's no other live performance music (for the rest of the series)."

This may be common knowledge, but I wanted to make it known for anyone that may not have already heard this.

Yeah, I heard that...didn't want to hear that. I think we were assuming as much, based on hints and such.

But...we can still hope for some sort of live box set in a couple years. Hope is a wonderful thing.

Probably mentioned elsewhere, but Mr. Page was on the Jimmy Fallon show last night. Fallon had all three super deluxe sets on his desk. They looked very tasty, although they didn't show much of them.

Was also very interesting what he said about Presence. Can't remember how he phrased it but even he was surprised.

Right, something about finding a version of Achilles. That should be fascinating.

What am I saying? It's all gold.

Glad to hear this. I was hoping for demos, outtakes, and the like, and as little live material as possible. The only exception would be a cleaned up show from the 1980 tour.

Presence tapes in an unmarked box?!? :blink: I can't even imagine...and am very surprised they didn't get stolen! There have got to be many crazy stories to be told about how these songs/tapes surfaced.

More press reviews out. Latest issue of UNCUT (Take 206 July 2014) Three pages including a Q&A with JP on your newsagents shelves now....Next up, MOJO mag.....

I await the release of Presence with bated breath.

I was walking on air after Jimmy mentioned finding the Presnce material, I'm also happy that the rest of the albums have studio based music on them.

One thing, after years of listening to the albums it is going to take a while to get used to the alternate takes and picking up on all the differences.

I have been listening to the outtakes that have been available for years and i must say after hearing Keys To The Highway I was surprised to get something I hadn't heard yet. The stuff available for the Presence outtakes are far to short. I would love to hear more preliminary Tea For One

I wonder whether we'll get a double-album's worth of alternate versions with Physical Graffiti, i.e. two companion discs?

I've had this question too. If Brutal Artistry is any indication, there is a lot there...but if Jimmy wants to avoid stuff already out there, will there be enough for two?

These will be great, Keys to the Highway really made me go into "extreme excitement mode" regarding IV- Coda

Now how about in 5 years we get a sequel to "DVD" with the Led Zeppelin Blu Ray? Footage from maybe Seattle and Pontiac 1977, more Knebworth, the 24th of Earls Court, etc. Who cares if they aren't all multitracked? The audio can still be greatly touched up.

Couple that with a CD set of LA 1977 or a collection of shows we never got.

Golden!

Was also very interesting what he said about Presence. Can't remember how he phrased it but even he was surprised.

Presence tapes in an unmarked box?!? :blink: I can't even imagine...and am very surprised they didn't get stolen! There have got to be many crazy stories to be told about how these songs/tapes surfaced.

From http://radio.com/2014/05/20/interview-jimmy-page-led-zeppelin-reissue-legacy/

"The only thing that turned up that I’d literally forgotten about, out of all of these tapes and hundred and hundreds of hours of listening was: I had an early mix, a studio mix of Presence, and that had extra material on it. And that was the album I thought, with all of this chronological opening of everything, that might present a problem, and lo and behold, there it was. It was a deliverance." [my emphasis]

Interesting that he doesn't say that about LZ I, considering there are no extra studio tracks accompanying that release. Will CODA get any extra studio cuts for other songs during that time period? Also, didn't he say he'd put it "all" out there for the 90's remasters releases?

As far as Presence goes, given Jimmy's state at that time, it's no wonder he forgot about extra studio cuts from that time period.

Glad he's still with us to oversee this project and to deliver "the goods" from the Zeppelin vaults!

Will CODA get any extra studio cuts for other songs during that time period? Also, didn't he say he'd put it "all" out there for the 90's remasters releases?

I wonder about tracks such as Sugar Mama, which has been 'overlooked' for the LZII reissue perhaps because it doesn't fit too well with the rest of that album, but could it see the light of day on Coda MkII?

Archived