New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Yeah good one... too much filler tho for meThe last thing I want is for the catalogue to be diluted. I'll b fine with originals. They probably will box this all up anyway giving a second chance Page was the best no doubt greatest rock guitar player ever in his prime and a master in the studio but I can't help but feel either he or Warner are really milking this not only in content but in taking a year to get it out.i am not trolling but if, for example, Jimmy really wants to play no one is stopping him.it seems that these boxes are his main thing and that is probably for the best but he could put a band together if he wanted. Think about it... Who did we hang around with 30 years ago... It is only natural JPJ and Robert want something and someone different. I couldn'tdial the clock back 30 years if I wanted to...

He's giving the catalogue one final refresh before its too late. At least we're getting some extra material, he could've just remastered the albums and called it a day. I would love to hear Jimmy do some new stuff, I especially like the idea of acoustic and instrumental material, but its kinda getting late for that seemingly. Personally I would rather him spend his golden years tending the Zeppelin material, perhaps giving us a couple more live releases. :smiley_pray: BTW 30 years ago I was a fetus in my mother's womb lol. :lol:

Let's not forget that Robert at least was involved in digging up old tapes. Let's not act like this is only Jimmy's deal. Sure, he's had the biggest role, on the remastering/"new" material side of things and the marketing. Only natural as he's the keeper of the Zeppelin flame. But to carry on as if the other two washed their hands of it seems way off base.

In my opinion many people are missing the point of the companion discs. I think they were intended to provide grace notes to the remastered original albums and as such are more like musical bits of curiosity, of historical interest and just more Led Zeppelin. Some are clearly examples of working out problems, some show how the boys developed musical ideas that got tossed out, but all of it provides me with additional insight into the artistic thinking of Jimmy Page, which is extraordinarily valuable.

I think La La and the Bathroom Song are great fun.

:goodpost: Missed that one earlier. :oops:

Just a quick question for you guys... I saw the new LZ CD's at Walmart tonight, and they said there was a digital download inside but didn't specify what format. If that was the HD download, that would be one heck of a deal at $13.99 per CD. Does anyone know what format those downloads are in?

Yes but I dob't know if Robert actually gets anything financially from these Maybe that was an old 80's myth but I thought way back I remember he sold his rights to any further gain from Zep... Who knows it has been a looooong time since I heard that

Personally, I don´t understand why Page, who allways thought LZ at its best was LIVE, and was ment to be heard and seen LIVE, would not want to release more live stuff. Release live tapes as they are, no edits, no merging, warts and all. Enough with the perfectionism. He´s running out of time.

Just a quick question for you guys... I saw the new LZ CD's at Walmart tonight, and they said there was a digital download inside but didn't specify what format. If that was the HD download, that would be one heck of a deal at $13.99 per CD. Does anyone know what format those downloads are in?

I'm pretty sure that's a download card for the iTunes version.

Yes but I dob't know if Robert actually gets anything financially from these Maybe that was an old 80's myth but I thought way back I remember he sold his rights to any further gain from Zep... Who knows it has been a looooong time since I heard that

I'm unsure specifically about Robert's current deal, but I know that the band members were ripped off in terms of royalties and money made from the catalogue until the refresh in the early-1990s, when the contracts were renegotiated.

I think we have to bear in mind that Jimmy's goals for the re-issue campaign are not necessarily completely aligned with ours (as fans). It's now very clear that he is applying quite a high threshold in terms of 'quality'. He is only using tracks that he considers to be in a 'finished' state, although of course many of them are stripped down versions that lack vocals and/or overdubs. Nevertheless I am deriving a huge amount of enjoyment from listening to this 'new' material. As fans of course we'd love to have 'warts and all' demos and jams etc, but that ain't gonna happen. Those that want that material will have to rely on the bootlegs. At least we can rest assured that Jimmy has done a thorough job of auditing the available studio material before making his selections for the official re-releases.

Yes, I would like to have seen the Bombay 1972 final recordings of Friends and Four Sticks become officially available, but I don't think that's on the cards. In terms of live material I'd also dearly love an official recording of No Quarter from Earls Court 24/05/75 but I think I'm going to be disappointed on that front too. There will be no more live material as part of the current re-release campaign.

On the upside, I can remember a decade ago everyone pretty much agreeing that the 2003 releases of DVD and HTWWW would be the last time Jimmy would revisit the archives. But we then got the revamped soundtrack for TSRTS, and then the O2 reunion gig plus Shepperton rehearsal came out, and now obviously we have the re-issue campaign underway, all of which I consider to be unexpected bonuses. Sometimes maintaining relatively low expectations is the key to achieving happiness.

In terms of the prices being charged for the new boxes, personally I'm sticking with the deluxe CDs. I could afford the SDBS versions, but I have a very mobile lifestyle right now (I'm from the UK but temporarily living in the US) and it's just not practical to ship vinyl around plus I don't have a turntable. Several years ago I converted my Zep archive to lossless digital and that's the way it's going to have to stay. I'm ashamed to admit that this is the first time I am purchasing the individual albums, as I had previously 'reconstructed' the albums in my digital archive using the 1990 four-CD box set and the Box Set 2 that came out in 1993. As the new issues are remastered and expanded with original artwork etc there are no complaints from me about the cost of acquiring the deluxe CDs. I can see the attraction of acquiring the SDBS versions and maybe one day I will, but they're not practical for me to acquire at this point in time.

In summary, I am a very happy Zep fan right now. My glass is definitely half full, not half empty as some may feel after seeing the track listings for the expanded fourth album and HOTH.

I'm ashamed to admit that this is the first time I am purchasing the individual albums, as I had previously 'reconstructed' the albums in my digital archive using the 1990 four-CD box set and the Box Set 2 that came out in 1993. As the new issues are remastered and expanded with original artwork etc there are no complaints from me about the cost of acquiring the deluxe CDs.

Don't be ashamed. I purchased the complete albums on long-forgotten cassettes 25 years ago. Since then, I've bought a few used vinyls and reconstructed the rest from the box sets as you mentioned. I never saw much point in buying the albums on CD that were the same tracks re-assembled from the box set versions just for the sake of packaging.

This time around, I'm buying the SDBS for each album. No questions asked. The hundred dollar price tag for each is not an issue. It's been a pretty cool experience to spin brand new Led Zeppelin vinyl and own the albums on proper CD's for the first time. That said, I've been listening to the 96/24 high resolution versions more than anything else.

Wow, we all in the doldrums or sumthin' regarding not much talk about the next wave of releases, I guess no new material sours things a bit, I'm just happy to add to the first 3 releases and more remastered vinyls, Gotta love that!

Wow, we all in the doldrums or sumthin' regarding not much talk about the next wave of releases, I guess no new material sours things a bit, I'm just happy to add to the first 3 releases and more remastered vinyls, Gotta love that!

Personally I've tuned out to most of the chat here because there's been so much complaining.

I think we're all in anticipation mode. I was going to post a comment about how the prices for fourth album and HOTH super deluxe had not yet fallen on Amazon, whereas with the first three the price dropped to around $115 right away. But, now the next two are at $118.98. Encouraging.

October will be great. Jimmy's book on the 14th and then the new releases two weeks later.

Along with any truly unheard material or no more live material... the fact that none of the three remaining members have come together for interviews, group commentary, etc. i think resonates with fans especially the ones who have taken time to join a forum all about this band in a not so positive way... not that this is required or anything but fans really enjoy it when they come together and give insight... insight that is valued... this lack of a unified response is in direct correlation with the great big reunion question monster...but still...

I think many fans here are not complaining, but just expressing personal wishes, for what the reissues could have been/included. With no offense to anybody, it is not complaining, though. As I said earlier, maybe WE have not understood Jimmy´s view/aim for these reissues. I very much welcome them.

I think many fans here are not complaining, but just expressing personal wishes, for what the reissues could have been/included. With no offense to anybody, it is not complaining, though. As I said earlier, maybe WE have not understood Jimmy´s view/aim for these reissues. I very much welcome them.

I agree with this assessment. I will always cherish these releases, and I am pretty happy with them, but Jimmy was the one who got people enticed when he made statements relating to how the material was going to "knock people's pants off", and how the new material wasn't going to be the usual stuff that was already in circulation on bootleg. These comments tend to create an expectation in people as to what they are going to be hearing, and that was Jimmy's goal. He is doing the press conferences and interviews as a means of creating interest and selling his product, plain and simple. Somewhere along the line there was a bit of a disconnect between what many thought he had in store for us, and what we actually got, and it was a little inconceivable that Jimmy would put all this effort into a project that wasn't going to set the Zeppelin world on its ear. Having said that, I do believe that the best is yet to come. Considering that Coda and Physical Graffiti became the defacto repositories of the quality unused early tracks, I do suspect that things will start to open up again with the Presence and Coda releases. In Through the Out Door's outtakes were already largely used, so I am not too optimistic about that disc, but given that it is one of my favorites, I will be tickled to see how these songs evolved through rough demos, etc.

I love the guy as much as anyone, but Jimmy has always leaned toward an overly optimistic view of his work, and that is why after years of hearing about his new solo album, we still have nothing. I set my expectations low, and I don't get too disappointed if things don't meet expectations. Even one new quality Zeppelin song is a miracle for hungry fans, and we have had three already. Not too bad really. For me, everything after the O2 DVD is simply gravy. I died happy at that point. :)

I think we're all in anticipation mode. I was going to post a comment about how the prices for fourth album and HOTH super deluxe had not yet fallen on Amazon, whereas with the first three the price dropped to around $115 right away. But, now the next two are at $118.98. Encouraging.

October will be great. Jimmy's book on the 14th and then the new releases two weeks later.

Thanks for the pricing update. I was wondering if they had fallen or not.

I'm still very happy with my 24/96 downloads of the remastered original albums. I just can't get over how good they sound and how much more I can hear! There are so many little details I couldn't quite make out before. Heck, just to hear John's tom toms so separated is worth the price of admission.

The extras are merely that, "extra" little goodies from Jimmy. My only disappointment is the editing of How Many More Times, if this was about royalties, it's the most frustrating nickle ever saved, I would be glad to spend another dollar to have the complete version of this awesome show!!!!!!

I don't understand why some people complain how much these releases cost? I'm not made of money so I simply purchased the 2 disc CDs for a total of $40 (I,II,III).. Not sure where you come from but $40 isn't expensive for 6 CDs we will listen to for years to come! The way I see it, is you pay $9 for a fresh remastered copy + 4 for the companion disc.. Sounds pretty dang good to me! Anyway, I'm hoping Rain Song take will be awesome as well as the remastered original! Will I finally hear the phone ring in The Ocean everyone says is in there?? My ears are usually ringing after a couple of seconds from how loud I play that one haha! Love the negative side of HOTH, it was everything I hoped for in the album art.

I agree with this assessment. I will always cherish these releases, and I am pretty happy with them, but Jimmy was the one who got people enticed when he made statements relating to how the material was going to "knock people's pants off", and how the new material wasn't going to be the usual stuff that was already in circulation on bootleg. These comments tend to create an expectation in people as to what they are going to be hearing, and that was Jimmy's goal. He is doing the press conferences and interviews as a means of creating interest and selling his product, plain and simple. Somewhere along the line there was a bit of a disconnect between what many thought he had in store for us, and what we actually got, and it was a little inconceivable that Jimmy would put all this effort into a project that wasn't going to set the Zeppelin world on its ear.

Entirely opinion. The fact that people haven't been blown away by some of the tracks we've been given is absolutely mental to me.

Entirely opinion. The fact that people haven't been blown away by some of the tracks we've been given is absolutely mental to me.

Yes, it is opinion; that is what people generally express on forums. In my opinion, my opinion is bang on. Its also my opinion that Jimmy only has 4.5 months left to release that new solo material that he declared was going to be "unleashed" on the world in 2014. I think the new tracks are great too, but so far my pants are still on. ;)

Archived