New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Wow! How many alternate takes did they do for 'In The Light'?! I have a much different alt. take of it that starts with the creepy guitar, but is like an entire different song with different vocals. This one is phenomenal with all that guitar, thanks whoever originally posted it :) out of all the companion discs I've been mainly excited for this song and 'Baby Come On Home' with the extended outro and heavy guitar lines in it.. Which are available on bootleg but I prefer Jimmy's remasters with excellent quality if I have a choice. I hope he gives us a hint soon that Coda will be good, 4/12 songs are live so there won't be alt. takes of those and the other 8 clearly aren't the best of the batch.. Let's hope Jimmy has some tricks up his sleeves on this one! Maybe he has a multitrack recording of For Badgeholders Only he has been saving to surprise everyone with.. hahahahaha never know!!

"At approximately 1:37–1:38 into the song and again at around 1:41, a telephone can be faintly heard ringing in the background."

Ok, ok now I hear it! The reason why i never heard it before is because when I first read that it was on there the person said it was at 1:52 mark so clearly I couldn't hear it but after seeing its at the 1:38-1:41 mark I hear it. Thanks for the help!

I'm looking forward to everything. :P

Seriously, though, this next run of releases (and Physical Graffiti) are among my absolute favourites of the catalogue, so I can't wait to get my hands on them -- and, more importantly, to listen to them. Of course, we'll get three of the tracks before October 28th. Expect "Black Dog" sometime in mid/late-September, and the others to follow.

I am most excited about Presence and ITTOD as I find latter day Zep much more fascinating. Go figure...

I can understand that, as I sort of feel the same way. There was a lot going on in those days, and much of it was not discussed in detail, so we are left to connect the dots. It's all fascinating, but the latter days have a unique appeal.

I can understand that, as I sort of feel the same way. There was a lot going on in those days, and much of it was not discussed in detail, so we are left to connect the dots. It's all fascinating, but the latter days have a unique appeal.

I'm really interested in alternates for "Achilles Last Stand" and "Carouselambra," when it comes to the latter days of Zeppelin.

I'm disappointed that there was no more studio gems from LZ1. Given that they performed Fresh Garbage and As Long As I Have You during their first tour, I had hoped there would be studio versions. Hopefully a studion version of Fire will be on the ITTOD box.

No fire.... As for opinions I think if people have one they are free to express it politely but not repeated negativity which I almost fell into.. It is true no one is forcing me to buy anything and there it rests. "Mental" at not being blown away by the extra discs is a bit strong.... God knows by liking Band of Joy and Raising Sand" I have taken my share of sharp opinions. One thing I do think even with my crummy ears one needs needs remastering badly is ITTOD and that's a plus but I applaud the choices given so people like me can just get the remastered originals for 9 bux and the elite can drop a grand if they want for the catalog. The important thing is the music remains relevant and alive. No one can begrudge that on here.

Well, after perusing the track listings for the IV and "Houses of the Holy" extra discs, let's just say I am a tad underwhelmed.

Considering each disc can hold roughly 70-plus minutes of music, I find the extra discs rather skimpy. Where are the THREE different solos for "Stairway to Heaven"? Throw a live track or two on there.

I also don't understand Jimmy's reasoning of only putting something out that hasn't already come out on bootleg. Only a very small percentage of people have heard the studio outtakes and alternate mixes that have been released on Godfatherecords "Studio Magik" and other similar boots over the years. Most Led Zeppelin fans, especially the casual mainstream music fans, have NEVER heard these, and so it would still be new to them. Plus, even for those of us that do have the various boots, we don't have them in near the sound quality that an official release would provide. I, for one, would have loved to have had "Fixing to Die/That's Alright" on the LZ III bonus disc in superior sound quality.

Yes, I appreciate the effort Jimmy has put into remastering and the packaging and the different formats on offer. I just think he is wasting a golden opportunity to provide a more fuller and complete picture of the recording process of each album by skimping on the bonus tracks.

No fire.... As for opinions I think if people have one they are free to express it politely but not repeated negativity which I almost fell into.. It is true no one is forcing me to buy anything and there it rests. "Mental" at not being blown away by the extra discs is a bit strong.... God knows by liking Band of Joy and Raising Sand" I have taken my share of sharp opinions. One thing I do think even with my crummy ears one needs needs remastering badly is ITTOD and that's a plus but I applaud the choices given so people like me can just get the remastered originals for 9 bux and the elite can drop a grand if they want for the catalog. The important thing is the music remains relevant and alive. No one can begrudge that on here.

I can't help but stand by my statement that it's "mental" that people complain about getting new tracks -- even if that only means (at least for the most part) alternate mixes...I mean, this project is exactly the sort of thing we've all wanted for years.

Anyhow, go check out the remastered ITTOD on iTunes or Qobuz. Absolutely an improvement. ;)

Well, after perusing the track listings for the IV and "Houses of the Holy" extra discs, let's just say I am a tad underwhelmed.

Considering each disc can hold roughly 70-plus minutes of music, I find the extra discs rather skimpy. Where are the THREE different solos for "Stairway to Heaven"? Throw a live track or two on there.

I also don't understand Jimmy's reasoning of only putting something out that hasn't already come out on bootleg. Only a very small percentage of people have heard the studio outtakes and alternate mixes that have been released on Godfatherecords "Studio Magik" and other similar boots over the years. Most Led Zeppelin fans, especially the casual mainstream music fans, have NEVER heard these, and so it would still be new to them. Plus, even for those of us that do have the various boots, we don't have them in near the sound quality that an official release would provide. I, for one, would have loved to have had "Fixing to Die/That's Alright" on the LZ III bonus disc in superior sound quality.

Yes, I appreciate the effort Jimmy has put into remastering and the packaging and the different formats on offer. I just think he is wasting a golden opportunity to provide a more fuller and complete picture of the recording process of each album by skimping on the bonus tracks.

How can you be underwhelmed by reading about the music you haven't heard yet?

I'm a broken record on this issue, but I think this has to be restated: It is virtually certain that at least a portion of the studio outtakes (not to mention the personal demo tapes) that have been bootlegged over the years no longer exist in any of the band members' or Atlantic's studio "archives." Certain examples from the remaster project so far show that some bootlegged outtakes do still exist in one form or another -- see "Moby Dick" from II and "Jennings Farm Blues" from III -- but I can't imagine that to be the norm.

Bearing all that in mind...you've seen the "underwhelmed" response to people getting new tracks, can you imagine what people's reactions would have been if we had even more of the already bootlegged tracks included on these sets? As a good friend of mine has opined: If these boxes had been released by a bootleg label like Empress Valley or even Godfather, there would likely have been universal praise -- to which I would add that people's expectations have led them to make some grand assumptions about the Led Zeppelin recording process and what exists (or ever has).

I would absolutely love a more comprehensive studio outtake set, but I wonder if anyone else has considered that maybe it wasn't Jimmy who ratcheted the Zeppelin sets back? Another possible angle to consider: The inside source mentioned earlier in this thread (a Rhino employee) specifically mentioned in correspondence that the only stipulation from the company was "the addition of a bonus or 'Companion' disc to every album" -- read into that what you will, but based on some box set decisions Rhino has made in recent years, I take that as meaning "a single bonus or 'Companion' disc, no more."

I wonder why the full moby dick drum solo wasn't released for lz2 companion disk. Would have provided a great tribute to JB, at least on gesture.

It would have made more sense than the 'intro - outro' we got for Moby Dick, in my opinion.

It would have made more sense than the 'intro - outro' we got for Moby Dick, in my opinion.

It definitely doesn't make sense to leave it off, it would have only added 6:58 minutes to the disc. Plus there is nothing different about the bookends so why not give us the entire drum solo? I already have it but I think it should have been included for sure.

It definitely doesn't make sense to leave it off, it would have only added 6:58 minutes to the disc. Plus there is nothing different about the bookends so why not give us the entire drum solo? I already have it but I think it should have been included for sure.

Technically we don't have the entire drum solo -- on the bootlegs, it cuts out.

Again, read my post above: Maybe it doesn't exist? The cool fact about this remaster project is that they aren't remixing from the multi-tracks, but presenting mixes and tapes made at the time...maybe the only surviving copy of the drum solo in the archives is the edited version we have on the multi-tracks? It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I really appreciated the bookends of moby dick as one piece. As I always wondered how it was originally. It would have been a nice touch to have also included the full solo separately, maybe it doesn't exist. I

I really appreciated the bookends of moby dick as one piece. As I always wondered how it was originally. It would have been a nice touch to have also included the full solo separately, maybe it doesn't exist. I

Or maybe it does...but would it be less marketable than a multi-instrumental track? Think of how many comments there are online where people admit to skipping the album track, not to mention the live versions...it's hard to say.

Here's hoping we get the first teaser within the next couple of weeks!

I would certainly suspect that Jimmy Page would have the full Moby Dick drum solo on tape somewhere.

With regards the teasers, I was just thinking they must be about due now this morning...

Archived