New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

As to the Mothership redux..that's a shame, I really feel the mastering on those discs were the most superior of all..I feel they are much better than what was done for the box sets (to my ears anyway...wish I could find something actual to back up why I may prefer them) 

Hold the phone. I thought that between the Page/George Marino remasters of 1990 and the just-completed reissues, there was no remastering, which is why I never bothered with Mothership (already having all the tracks is another). 

So was there remastering (or, using rmaiolo's term "mastering") done on Mothership?

Two things: The campaign focused on using vintage mixes of the songs for companion audio -- Jimmy held fast to that and did not remix from multi-tracks; the other consideration is that I've recently heard some things that suggest a complete 5.1 release might be impossible.

I know what the campaign focused on thank you very much, I don't need you to point it out.

As  for a 5.1 release it is entirely possible the leaked multis from LZ II prove that. If a complete release is not possible a a 5.1 compilation would suffice. Page is missing the boat on this one. Right now I am waiting on new 5.1 releases from Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, The Beatles. I cannot see any reason why LZ can't join the surround revolution.

Hold the phone. I thought that between the Page/George Marino remasters of 1990 and the just-completed reissues, there was no remastering, which is why I never bothered with Mothership (already having all the tracks is another). 

So was there remastering (or, using rmaiolo's term "mastering") done on Mothership?

The booklet states:

Remastering: John Davis at Alchemy Mastering, London

and yes, I realize I'm in the minority by enjoying the sound on this set...

I know what the campaign focused on thank you very much, I don't need you to point it out.

As  for a 5.1 release it is entirely possible the leaked multis from LZ II prove that. If a complete release is not possible a a 5.1 compilation would suffice. Page is missing the boat on this one. Right now I am waiting on new 5.1 releases from Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, The Beatles. I cannot see any reason why LZ can't join the surround revolution.

I don't think you do, otherwise you wouldn't still be complaining about it.

You obviously also didn't understand the implication of what I was saying: It's just a rumour, but it comes from someone who was involved in the LZII multi-track business, that at least some of the multi-tracks either no longer exist or are damaged.

The booklet states:

Remastering: John Davis at Alchemy Mastering, London

and yes, I realize I'm in the minority by enjoying the sound on this set...

RE: Mastering on Mothership: Some light work was done to the digital masters used by Marino and Page. Similar work was done on the 2007 box.

In terms of preferring the sound to the new remasters...I can't fathom it. But to each his/her own.

I don't think you do, otherwise you wouldn't still be complaining about it.

You obviously also didn't understand the implication of what I was saying: It's just a rumour, but it comes from someone who was involved in the LZII multi-track business, that at least some of the multi-tracks either no longer exist or are damaged.

Did you read my post where I stated my 'Disappointment' that there were no 5.1 mixes, I'm not complaining, don't know how you worked that one out, maybe English is not your first language. I was as some say 'just sayin'  I got what you said. I know full well what this re-issue campaign was all about after all I did start this thread.

Did you read my post where I stated my 'Disappointment' that there were no 5.1 mixes, I'm not complaining, don't know how you worked that one out, maybe English is not your first language. I was as some say 'just sayin'  I got what you said. I know full well what this re-issue campaign was all about after all I did start this thread.

Resulting to personal attacks? Nice. It's a complaint if you're still airing your "disappointment" months after the campaign has ended.

^^^^^^^^^

What personal attack ?  Besides who are you to tell me that I "don't understand", that stinks of some kind of smug self superiority you've got there tinged with a little over sensitivity, that's not an attack either it's just an observation.

^^^^^^^^^

What personal attack ?  Besides who are you to tell me that I "don't understand", that stinks of some kind of smug self superiority you've got there tinged with a little over sensitivity, that's not an attack either it's just an observation.

I don't have a superiority complex; I'll admit that I am annoyed at the complaining people have done about these releases, but that's their loss/waste of time, not mine...

• 1 month later...

Mothership will be re-released on vinyl and CD using the new remasters. 

"Remastered -The album remastering was supervised by Jimmy Page, using the new 2014/2015 96kHz/24 bit masters."

7Jo3OJq.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Mothership-4LP-180-Gram-Vinyl/dp/B014V01J0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442602319&sr=8-2&keywords=mothership+led+zeppelin

Purchased from Amazon and had to return it. The production quality is terrible. The lps are ok but the album sleeves are all scuffed up (like some of the remastered boxes) and gouges on the lp labels as well. Some serious production problems with this one.

• 1 month later...

As of today, I have finally completed the collection of box sets. Looks nice in the home office!

Random thoughts:

• The book included with Presence was most disappointing. Way too many "Object" photo shoot outtakes and not enough live photos, interviews, shots of Robert's lyric book (entirely omitted; maybe it wasn't available), etc. The book for ITTOD was a bit weak as well.
  • Having said that, the books are great, but I wish they would "say" more, you know? Would have been great to have Percy, Jonesy, and Page include a blurb about their memories recording each album or something insightful like that. 
  • "Pod" is really spectacular. When I first heard it, I was impressed, but now I listen to it probably once a week. Being a writer (but not of lyrics!) I feel like taking a crack at what the words might be. Strange, I know.
  • The companion audio largely feels like a missed opportunity, although not knowing what Mr. Page had to work with certainly complicates that view. I'd rate about 40% of it as very good to excellent, another 40% as OK, and 20% as pretty much useless. In other words, I'll probably only listen to about 40% of it on a consistent basis. 
  • My out of pocket cost was easily under $200. 
  • Strange how the boxes can be dinged even in the shrink wrap and the padded protective box :(
  • To single out one track, "That's The Way" sounds best in HD. Amazing. 
  •  Physical Graffiti is the box I think looks best. Love how the tan of the building blends into the box color, and the red on the spine is very nice. 
  • Very pleased with the "mini LP" reproduction style used on the CDs. 

All9small.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/4/2016 at 6:34 PM, pujols05 said:

• "Pod" is really spectacular. When I first heard it, I was impressed, but now I listen to it probably once a week. Being a writer (but not of lyrics!) I feel like taking a crack at what the words might be. Strange, I know.
  • The companion audio largely feels like a missed opportunity, although not knowing what Mr. Page had to work with certainly complicates that view. I'd rate about 40% of it as very good to excellent, another 40% as OK, and 20% as pretty much useless. In other words, I'll probably only listen to about 40% of it on a consistent basis. 
  • To single out one track, "That's The Way" sounds best in HD. Amazing. 

Your display looks great.

I have to agree that "Pod" is one of the most worthwhile and surprising outtakes.  I have to wonder what it could have become if the band had revisited the track.  It reminds me the most of "All My Love" if I had to pick something that could have evolved from it.

With respect to the companions in general, I have to agree with you there as well. There are some great things but a lot of wasted opportunities as well.  I've put all of the HD tracks into one huge playlist and often play the whole set on random.  With some songs, I have to perk up my ears to distinguish between the companion tracks and the originals.  Aside from that, I don't listen to the companion audio a whole lot except for Coda.

I've found that the sound quality of the acoustic material improved the most. I don't know if it was due to the remastering or the hi-res audio but the acoustic songs (and the softer portions of other songs) are awesome. "That's The Way", "Going to California", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Down By The Seaside" all come to mind.

As for the books, I have to give them another look since I recently paid a visit to the optometrist and I can actually see again.

Archived