New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

let others say what they will, everybody's entitled to an opinion.

Even when someone claims that Jason Bonham is the MICHAEL JORDAN of drums? Huh, no. Such a statement should be met with criticism.

How does Jason have a different style than bonzo if he learned how to play drums with john?

Saying that Jason and John have different styles is stupid...

Did you not say this? and then I gave reasons why I believe your wrong.

C'mmon man, stop being like that...

To say Jason Bonham in the same breath as Michael Jordan is ridiculous.

I'd have no issue if Nirvana said Jason Bonham is the Manute Bol of drums.

Pressure Amstel Light - pressure. No one EVER faced the enormity of the O2 as a drummer and played his

ass off and led a band like Led Zeppelin - EVER!

I was in NYC Madison Square Garden the night Jordan came in and dropped the famous "double nickels" on the Knicks

and that was a mind-numbing experience to see a man play beyond greatness under such scrutiny as Jordan was on that

night. There were so many celebrities there and people (who had security guys on every deck of the Garden)

that were there to witness greatness. Jason Bonham played the O2 in front of every imaginable form of celebrity, dignitary,

and royalty that EVER was for a concert - and he delivered like Jordan did that night at the Garden March 29, 1995.

Say what you want - Jason rocked it and did his father and the Band proud. No, wait, save your breath - there is no argument.

CAN YOU GUYS STOP FUCKING ARGUING?

THIS IS ABOUT THE BOXED SETS, NOT ABOUT JASON VS. JOHN!

Bonzo was the only drummer meant for Zeppelin. There's no doubt about that. I'm pretty sure Zeppelin would continue if that wasn't true. But he's DEAD. Jason Bonham did a great job filing in his father's shoes. He probably would of been proud of him. Is Jason Bonham better, or even equal to what Bonzo could do? NO! But for the job he did, he did a great job. Who would fill in for Bonzo if it wasn't Jason?

Why would that be exciting???

Led Zeppelin died when Bohnam passed! Why can't many except that?

Jesus take a pill, it was just a wild thought. I could give you 10,000 justifiable reasons but the best one would be that the living members would want to release something new. Obviously it would be worthy. They haven't. Case close.

Will this shit ever stop? Jason is NOT the equal of his father. He's not even in the same universe as his father as an overall drummer, and he cannot even accurately replicate what John was able to come up with. John Bonham is the greatest rock drummer of all time (okay, tied with Bill Bruford and Peart). Jason is not even among the 500 greatest drummers because he hasn't come up with anything that good. Just listen to GTBT from the O2 concert - he's that good of a drummer.

Fanboyism needs to stop.

Will this shit ever stop? Jason is NOT the equal of his father. He's not even in the same universe as his father as an overall drummer, and he cannot even accurately replicate what John was able to come up with. John Bonham is the greatest rock drummer of all time (okay, tied with Bill Bruford and Peart). Jason is not even among the 500 greatest drummers because he hasn't come up with anything that good. Just listen to GTBT from the O2 concert - he's that good of a drummer.

Fanboysim needs to stop.

I'd love to see that list!

Three pages of this thread have been wasted on this futile argument. If you really want to discuss if Jason is as good as John or John was better than Jason and Jason should stick to Them Crooked Vultures, even if he never played in the band, then start a thread about it. This thread is about the box sets. I will start a new question on the box set:

Does anyone think we'll get a full Earls Court show? Page said in an interview that it made very tedious watching because there are only close-ups. If we'll watch EV's "Demand Unprecedented", we'll definetely watch a mulitcam edit of the five nights with audio mixed by Page. But what I'm REALLY looking forward to is Knebworth. Do you think we'll see Knebworth in these sets?

CAN YOU GUYS STOP FUCKING ARGUING?

THIS IS ABOUT THE BOXED SETS, NOT ABOUT JASON VS. JOHN!

I can't believe the amount of trivial bullshit that is being argued in this thread, show some fucking respect and move on.

This is about the boxed sets, so keep the discussion TO the boxed sets.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Those concerned should start a new fuckin' thread for the tired old Bonham V Bonham debate, okay? Please and thank you...

Now let's get the goddamn speculation train back on track regarding these box sets...:lol:

"Do you think we'll see Knebworth in the sets?"

Quite frankly I am surprised that we haven't yet seen standalone Knebworth or Earls Court CD and/or DVD sets- I am assuming Page possesses the audio/video of both gigs (if not all, both Knebworths and all five EC) in their entirety. You'd think complete Knebworth/Earls Court releases would be a no brainer.

Quite frankly I am surprised that we haven't yet seen standalone Knebworth or Earls Court CD and/or DVD sets- I am assuming Page possesses the audio/video of both gigs (if not all, both Knebworths and all five EC) in their entirety. You'd think complete Knebworth/Earls Court releases would be a no brainer.

According to Kevin Shirley the reason why they won't put out the EC shows is that on some nights some stuff wasn't recorded (I remember him saying specifically what wasn't recorded, but what I recall the most is that the bass drum hadn't been recorded in one night).

Beats me why they won't put out both nights at Knebworth. I love the shows, even though, I think the second one, it's not very good, Jimmy's too coked out. One cannot go through Over The Hills And Far Away from the second night without a cringe...

Is there any inkling of info regarding general release dates for these? I would read the thread in it's entirety to find the answer but I would like to keep my sanity. :lol:

The last we heard was from Peter Mensch, he said that some will come out by the end of this year, but that it also might not happen until next year. So, err, yeah.

According to Kevin Shirley the reason why they won't put out the EC shows is that on some nights some stuff wasn't recorded (I remember him saying specifically what wasn't recorded, but what I recall the most is that the bass drum hadn't been recorded in one night).

Probably nothing a little "Frankensteining" can't fix :lol:

Beats me why they won't put out both nights at Knebworth. I love the shows, even though, I think the second one, it's not very good, Jimmy's too coked out. One cannot go through Over The Hills And Far Away from the second night without a cringe...

My guess is Jimmy spent a little too much time hanging out with Keith Richards and Ron Wood before the second Knebworth show (Keith and Ron's New Barbarians band played the gig as well) which would at least partly explain Page's poor showing on the night. No question, the 4 August gig is way better than 11 August, but, again, they could probably "Frankenstein" both gigs.

("Frankenstein": to edit in pieces from multiple performaces to compile one comprehensive performance, Page/Shirley's typical M.O. when it comes to their live releases)

So next year it is then. Thanks!

Direct quote as opposed to paraphrase:

As for the remaster box sets, Jimmy is digging through the archives for material that's never been released to the public before. (We haven't heard it yet either, so don't ask!)

[...]

Some of the reissued box sets will come out this year, but in the world of Led Zeppelin, time is a fungible thing. Hopefully will have a box set for Coda too. Depends on what's in the archives.

Source.

Cheers

Good on you for asking during the AMA! I wish I'd known about it.

EDIT: I'm still optimistic that we'll see a release of one or two sets toward the end of the year. Why not capitalize on the holiday season, right?

Good on you for asking during the AMA! I wish I'd known about it.

EDIT: I'm still optimistic that we'll see a release of one or two sets toward the end of the year. Why not capitalize on the holiday season, right?

No worries. Peter Mensch doesn't tweet often, but they're usually pretty good. I have him on my 'Important' list so I'm notified whenever he tweets, that's how I found out about the AMA.

I think we might see at least one box set this year. It sounds like Jimmy has been working on them, so I'm optimistic also.

No worries. Peter Mensch doesn't tweet often, but they're usually pretty good. I have him on my 'Important' list so I'm notified whenever he tweets, that's how I found out about the AMA.

I think we might see at least one box set this year. It sounds like Jimmy has been working on them, so I'm optimistic also.

I tried asking him something via Twitter -- no response. He might not actually know, as well.

Archived