New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I just checked the LZ timeline and nothing is mentioned there in 1968 at Miami Pop. They didn't perform their first USA show until December, 1968. It seems they only played Miami in 1969 in February for two shows at Thee Image Club. Perhaps, you mixed this up with another festival and have your dates wrong?

I think DK means Hendrix's performance at the Miami Pop festival in 1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97yrVfxbO7E

Isn't it possible that multiple drum tracks could be mixed off to the side of the board, grouped, and then sent to track 12? If you look at the picture of Kramer at the desk, the last 8 or 9 faders on the right are all pushed up.

It's impossible for us to know exactly how these things were recorded, what's already been bounced, and what's on the rest of the board. Fun to talk about though :P

Isn't it possible that multiple drum tracks could be mixed off to the side of the board, grouped, and then sent to track 12? If you look at the picture of Kramer at the desk, the last 8 or 9 faders on the right are all pushed up.

They're almost definitely grouped together. The sliders seen in the photo Eddie posted are for the groups, so it's easy to adjust each instrument in the mix instead of changing the volume of every track.

God, I hope that all this wait is just for the Zepp albums to be mixed on the nightmare that is called 5.1... It's so horrible it makes me want to throw up.

To have a good example of how 5.1 sounds with a band "like" Zeppelin listen to Ladies And Gentleman by the Stones... the instruments are all over the place.

God, I hope that all this wait is just for the Zepp albums to be mixed on the nightmare that is called 5.1... It's so horrible it makes me want to throw up.

To have a good example of how 5.1 sounds with a band "like" Zeppelin listen to Ladies And Gentleman by the Stones... the instruments are all over the place.

I have a 5.1 DVD-A of Houses and it's amazing. Not sure where it came from, mind you...but I have it. Maybe it's "home made"

I have a 5.1 DVD-A of Houses and it's amazing. Not sure where it came from, mind you...but I have it. Maybe it's "home made"

What's on the rear channels?

One for LZ II emerged around the time the multis dropped and everybody wet themselves a little prematurely thinking it was something revolutionary :P.

The fun in 5.1 tracks (for me anyways) is splitting the tracks and listening to them individually. 5.1 mixes (and Quad for that matter) are the closest I'll ever get to hearing individual tracks for albums like Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. Plus, you get to do stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7SEiBcPXkA

What's on the rear channels?

One for LZ II emerged around the time the multis dropped and everybody wet themselves a little prematurely thinking it was something revolutionary :P.

The fun in 5.1 tracks (for me anyways) is splitting the tracks and listening to them individually. 5.1 mixes (and Quad for that matter) are the closest I'll ever get to hearing individual tracks for albums like Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. Plus, you get to do stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7SEiBcPXkA

I love the isolated Led Zeppelin II tracks. That's my favourite unofficial release, I prefer it to any bootleg or studio outtake. If a 5.1 mix would mean we could break every single album down to the individual tracks, that would be incredible.

I love the isolated Led Zeppelin II tracks. That's my favourite unofficial release, I prefer it to any bootleg or studio outtake. If a 5.1 mix would mean we could break every single album down to the individual tracks, that would be incredible.

+1. i recently bought a 6 track mixing board and have had a lot of fun messing with those tracks.

We would be able to split each album down to (most likely) 3 different mixes plus a sub (bass) track. The two rear channels might contain echoed mixes of the front two.

It's an upmix. I have one done by an outfit called TOUP, it's shite. Not a true 5.1. There is no true surround mix of any LZ album....Not yet. I

It's an upmix. I have one done by an outfit called TOUP, it's shite. Not a true 5.1. There is no true surround mix of any LZ album....Not yet. I

True 5.1 or not, it sounds great in my car.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder what the HOLD UP is on the aforementioned box set releases of the individual albums? Is Jimmy just re-mastering and assembling ALL of them at once?

I think it's been about a year since he mentioned that NEW version of the albums would be coming out, and yet, as of now, NOTHING.

I can only assume they are still trying to work out how best to release material in both analog (LPs) and electronic (MP3s) formats. The longer they wait, the more irrelevant it will be to release the material in CD form with the continuing decline of that format.

You would think the powers that be at Led Zep would at least issue an official update to keeps fans in the know. It's getting to the point where I just feel like giving up and sticking to my COMPLETE box set. :(

I too hope they are just all at once..I am not surprised at the delay -"Zeppelin time". I am not hating on Jimmy or being a naysayer! Realistically I am thinking 1-2 more years. Also he may want the other 2 to give some input and Robert is just finishing a tour...(Which I missed darn it!) I hope we can get all the audio and video stuff without super McCartney remaster size boxes that are well over 100 dollars. The ultimate joke on us would be if the complete mini lp cd box from 07 still sounds better and yes, I know they are the 93 masters and I do not have a discriminating ear- but they do sound better than the earlier 94 box to me...

It would be a joke making efforts for LPs and MP3s and not paying special attention to the CDs, that's, for now, The format to be considered as the important one.

I can only assume they are still trying to work out how best to release material in both analog (LPs) and electronic (MP3s) formats. The longer they wait, the more irrelevant it will be to release the material in CD form with the continuing decline of that format.

It would be a joke making efforts for LPs and MP3s and not paying special attention to the CDs, that's, for now, The format to be considered as the important one.

Oh, trust me, I hope they pay attention to CDs, but at the rate they're going...

I too hope they are just all at once..I am not surprised at the delay -"Zeppelin time". I am not hating on Jimmy or being a naysayer! Realistically I am thinking 1-2 more years. Also he may want the other 2 to give some input and Robert is just finishing a tour...(Which I missed darn it!) I hope we can get all the audio and video stuff without super McCartney remaster size boxes that are well over 100 dollars. The ultimate joke on us would be if the complete mini lp cd box from 07 still sounds better and yes, I know they are the 93 masters and I do not have a discriminating ear- but they do sound better than the earlier 94 box to me...

Actually, I'd rather they NOT be re-mastered and released ALL at once. Could you imagine the damage? But at least release "Led Zeppelin" already. I mean, there can't be THAT much extra material from the first album, can there? I could see the holdup for like "Physical Graffiti," but just release LZ1 already while we're still YOUNG!

Actually, I'd rather they NOT be re-mastered and released ALL at once. Could you imagine the damage? But at least release "Led Zeppelin" already. I mean, there can't be THAT much extra material from the first album, can there? I could see the holdup for like "Physical Graffiti," but just release LZ1 already while we're still YOUNG!

No re-mastering? I welcome 21st century advances in digital music technology. These transfers will be the best I've ever heard.

As far as the extra material on LZ I....I think there is a decent amount. There's a handful of unreleased and alternate takes out there...who knows what else they might have tried out.

ITA, Trufan. If he doesn't release something pretty soon, Jimmy and the rest of us may be walking up that Stairway to Heaven.

HUH?

NO ONE iS ENTITLED TO PLAY DRUMS FOR LED ZEPPELIN EXCEPT JOHN BONHAM!

Not sure about your statement, but I am toatlly sure YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED to judge if anyone is entitled to play with RP, JPJ and JP as Led Zeppelin. I think THEY realised Jason IS entitled (O2 2007), and I guess THEY have more rights to say.

Who do you think you are to say shit like this?

Archived