New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

CD sales are alive and well and still account for a majority of day one sales. Now it is true that stores are carrying less old stock, but they always have the new releases. I work at Target and I think the only Led Zeppelin cd we have is Celebration Day.

It doesn't make sense to release box sets digitally. More likely than not we'll be getting something like we did for Celebration Day....a staggering (and confusing) amount of media choices.

CD sales are alive and well and still account for a majority of day one sales. Now it is true that stores are carrying less old stock, but they always have the new releases. I work at Target and I think the only Led Zeppelin cd we have is Celebration Day.

It doesn't make sense to release box sets digitally. More likely than not we'll be getting something like we did for Celebration Day....a staggering (and confusing) amount of media choices.

I work at Barnes and Noble and we carry just about all of them except for ITTOD. I don't get it. I can't see Jimmy allowing them to be anything but actual CD/DVD/vynil.

And it's not a secret that CDs aren't selling half as much as they were about 10 years ago.

That might be true, but sales are down across the board, and CD sales still make up the majority of music sales (at least in the United States).

I work at a Canadian Walmart, and have been to one of our Targets -- not to mention HMV, used music stores, etc. -- and they still carry CDs. The biggest problem facing the CD market isn't necessarily lack of interest, it's lack of worth -- why are they charging $20+ for one disc?

I think it will be announced soon.

The Amnesty concerts boxset was just announced a few days ago and that is coming out November 5. It's a dvd/cd combo of the four Amnesty shows performed. The one from 1998 includes Page and Plant. I think that one was from Paris. So there's still time to announce this and release it for the holiday season.

Robert Plant was just interviewed on BBC radio. I emailed a question about the box sets and he answered it. I will transcribe the answer properly when the podcast is available.

To summarise, it's definitely happening. He recently had a meeting with Jimmy about it, and they've been digging out old tapes and baking them in ovens to make them playable again etc. He said they've even discovered a couple of tracks that feature JPJ on lead vocals. He seemed to imply it may still be some time before these see the light of day. Be patient!

Sounds very cool! Was it the Danny Baker interview?

EDIT: Nope, an interview with Radcliffe and Maconie, which can be heard here. Relevant section is from about 15:30-16:20. Robert claims to be the one gunning for the Jonesy songs to be included -- Jonesy wants them to remain hidden! :P

EDIT 2: Transcription:

Hidden gems? Now that oughta be the name of the band, hadn't it, really? Led Zeppelin...shouldn't be called Led Zeppelin, should be called "Hidden Gems." All the memories, and all the tapes that you find, and all the bits and pieces er--uh, um, I found some quarter-inch spools recently, and, um, I had a meeting with Jimmy, and, uh...we baked 'em up and listened to 'em. And there's some very, very interesting bits and pieces that probably will turn up on, on-uh, on these things. Uh, I'm desperately tryin' to get this one track, or the two tracks, of John Paul Jones singing lead, which--and he's so far, he's up to, um, he's gonna' give me two cars, and a greenhouse, not to get 'em on the album. Oh, John, wherever you are with your opera, John, you can't wait to hear yourself singin' all over the world! La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la...

For what it's worth, I've done a quick transcription:

Mark Radcliffe (DJ): "There's upcoming remastered and expanded deluxe editions of Zeppelin albums. Are there hidden gems and stuff - are there unreleased tracks to come with all that?"
Plant: "Hidden gems. Now that ought to be the name of the band hadn't it really, Led Zeppelin. Shouldn't be called Led Zeppelin, should be called 'Hidden Gems'. All the memories and all the tapes that you find and bits and pieces, are… I found some quarter inch spools recently and I had a meeting with Jimmy and we baked them up and listened to them and there are some very interesting bits and pieces that probably will turn up. I'm desperately trying to get this one track or two tracks with John Paul Jones singing lead, and so far he's going to give me two cars and a greenhouse not to get them on the album! Oh John, wherever you are with your opera, you can't wait to hear yourself! [sings la, la, la]."
Not a huge amount of detail to go on, but moves us forward slightly I think!

For what it's worth, I've done a quick transcription:

Mark Radcliffe (DJ): "There's upcoming remastered and expanded deluxe editions of Zeppelin albums. Are there hidden gems and stuff - are there unreleased tracks to come with all that?"
Plant: "Hidden gems. Now that ought to be the name of the band hadn't it really, Led Zeppelin. Shouldn't be called Led Zeppelin, should be called 'Hidden Gems'. All the memories and all the tapes that you find and bits and pieces, are… I found some quarter inch spools recently and I had a meeting with Jimmy and we baked them up and listened to them and there are some very interesting bits and pieces that probably will turn up. I'm desperately trying to get this one track or two tracks with John Paul Jones singing lead, and so far he's going to give me two cars and a greenhouse not to get them on the album! Oh John, wherever you are with your opera, you can't wait to hear yourself! [sings la, la, la]."
Not a huge amount of detail to go on, but moves us forward slightly I think!

Beat me to my transcription! Took me ten minutes to get what I got, pausing and typing, and re-pausing and re-typing. :P

If these are the rumoured JPJ tracks, they'd be on the later albums (HOTH-PG), right? So those are a ways off...hopefully we'll get the first few soon.

I wonder if Robert was 100% accurate when he said "I found some quarter-inch spools recently"...it seems to imply he's kept some Zeppelin tapes. Glad to see them working together -- it sounds like they're more hands-on than in 2002-2003.

Beat me to my transcription! Took me ten minutes to get what I got, pausing and typing, and re-pausing and re-typing. :P

If these are the rumoured JPJ tracks, they'd be on the later albums (HOTH-PG), right? So those are a ways off...hopefully we'll get the first few soon.

I'm just glad we seem to agree on what he said!

What caught me is that he said they are quarter inch spools...informal jam sessions like the ones from Headley Grange (like the Black Dog and Stairway rehearsals)....? Could get very interesting.

Also, should probably take this quote with a grain of salt (like any other thing Plant says) :P

Nice to hear it's definitely moving forward. I was going to say it sounds like they are still in the works and 2013 ain't possible, but it could also mean that the first set(s) are further along and these quarter inch tapes are for a set that would come later....hard to say. Dying for a date!

This is great news! It's very cool that they're actually sitting down and listening to stuff, i.e. making major progress! I wonder what he means by "recently" though.... If they've just found these new tapes, it could set back release considerably.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that JPJ is reluctant to release the songs with him singing; he was obviously confident enough with his vocal "abilities" to release Thunderthief.

This is great news! It's very cool that they're actually sitting down and listening to stuff, i.e. making major progress! I wonder what he means by "recently" though.... If they've just found these new tapes, it could set back release considerably.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that JPJ is reluctant to release the songs with him singing; he was obviously confident enough with his vocal "abilities" to release Thunderthief.

I just think JPJ is just having a little humor with this as he's not known for his singing. As well as Robert's comment's about this as well. I'm sure they plan on releasing these rarities. Tough to get used to and know the British humor at times as it's not always obvious and in your face! That's what is so good about it. These guys (Robert and JPJ especially, with lots of dry humor) are always clever and articulate and know how to throw the lines at you. Takes some thinking. Better that way. That's why I love the British comedians so much!!!

Archived