New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

With regards to the LZ2 companion disk, does anyone have any knowledge/theories about what "La La (intro)" may be?

It's being billed as an unreleased track by the press, but is it something that has been circulating on the studio outtakes under a different name?

I'm very excited by the release and can't wait to see more. However, my hopes of hearing a possible studio version of As Long As I Have You, have pretty much been quashed!

no clue, will know more if/when samples come out or if they start to leak out. Otherwise, we'll know on June 2 at worst...maybe a smart journalist asked him in all those interviews he did last week...

At some point nearer the date I imagine the iTunes samples will go live and give us a snippet. I was just wondering if anyone had deduced what it might be. Anyway, interesting times are ahead of us.

LZ2 does have a few disappointing 'backing tracks' while I do understand that there may not be a lot of substantial material remaining for certain tracks. I'll hold back on full judgement till I hear them, but if it's simply released version sans

Robert, it'll be a shame.

Here's hoping that Coda comes out fully pimped up with unreleased gems! :)

(Though I get the suspicion that we're setting ourselves up for a significant fall with our speculations of what coda could become!)

Actually while I think about coda, I reckon the companion disk will include the cuts included on the complete studio box set version (baby come home, travelling riverside blues, hey hey what can I do, white summer) plus space for 4 more. Hopefully not the bonzos montreaux and moby dick hybrid.

Unless the BBC session are getting a remaster too, in which case drop the two tracks from there.

With regards to the LZ2 companion disk, does anyone have any knowledge/theories about what "La La (intro)" may be?

It's being billed as an unreleased track by the press, but is it something that has been circulating on the studio outtakes under a different name?

Don't you think that it may be the intro to "Moby Dick"? If the stories are true,they recorded the intro and outro separately as two takes of music and Bonham did his thing later.

Don't you think that it may be the intro to "Moby Dick"? If the stories are true,they recorded the intro and outro separately as two takes of music and Bonham did his thing later.

The story is true, they did record the intro and outro first then Bonham did his solo. I have the audio.

I have just joined the forum so if I'm saying the same stuff forgive me. First off I am a Led Zep fan but I don't know everything that there is to know about them . I do own everything they put out via Atlantic records (including The Song Remains , The Mountain DVD) but not How West is Won & Celebration Day cds. Looking very forward to the brand new remasters & I hope they are seriously sorted sound quality wise & no Loudness War s garbage like Mothership. The 80s CDs sound good but a bit polite & the mid 90s although have more top end sound for want of a better expression sound " crunchy". It has to be said the 90s Zep sound amazing on my mates high end hifi where he has pure 100 watt class A amplification ! . Without showing off my own stereo is respectable . I do have Zep on Lp but my copies Are a bit ropey.

I personally was happy with the Beatles , Pink Floyd , Clash & recent Hendrix remasters (Valley of Neptune ) so I hope Jimmy Page does a good job . If anyone knows anything about , the studio, baking process, who assisting in the masters that would be great also if someone has heard an advance copy? Like many others I'm sure Coda will be a treasure trove but and this is my personal opinion I would like to see In through the Out Door REMIXED!!!! Get those crappy synths off & Plants voice up a bit . There is definitely some good riffs in there but they are buried in the mix. It's been done with Let it Be & Double Fantasy so here's hoping. My favourite Led Zep album is the first , followed by the BBC sessions!

I have just joined the forum so if I'm saying the same stuff forgive me. First off I am a Led Zep fan but I don't know everything that there is to know about them . I do own everything they put out via Atlantic records (including The Song Remains , The Mountain DVD) but not How West is Won & Celebration Day cds. Looking very forward to the brand new remasters & I hope they are seriously sorted sound quality wise & no Loudness War s garbage like Mothership. The 80s CDs sound good but a bit polite & the mid 90s although have more top end sound for want of a better expression sound " crunchy". It has to be said the 90s Zep sound amazing on my mates high end hifi where he has pure 100 watt class A amplification ! . Without showing off my own stereo is respectable . I do have Zep on Lp but my copies Are a bit ropey.

I personally was happy with the Beatles , Pink Floyd , Clash & recent Hendrix remasters (Valley of Neptune ) so I hope Jimmy Page does a good job . If anyone knows anything about , the studio, baking process, who assisting in the masters that would be great also if someone has heard an advance copy? Like many others I'm sure Coda will be a treasure trove but and this is my personal opinion I would like to see In through the Out Door REMIXED!!!! Get those crappy synths off & Plants voice up a bit . There is definitely some good riffs in there but they are buried in the mix. It's been done with Let it Be & Double Fantasy so here's hoping. My favourite Led Zep album is the first , followed by the BBC sessions!

Welcome! Oh, I'm one of the ones that love those "crappy synths". What people should try to accept is that the sounds /instruments /styles on these old albums, whether pleasurable to your ears or not, are an audible documentary of a past musical era. I was there when ITTOD was released, and I can say that the synths were very appropriate and relevant for the times. There really is no need or reason to re-invent the wheel and try to make a 35 year old album sound like to today's music. In fact, I personally find that concept disturbing, and bit of a sell-out. I far prefer to honor the genius of the original works, and if I know Jimmy, he would think the same way. Minor tweaks? Sure. But removing synths? Sacrilege.

I dont think so. The track listing for the bonus disc is this....

7. Moby Dick (Backing Track)

8. La La (Intro/Outro Rough Mix)

Surely they wouldn't put the same track on there twice? And what is a "backing track" for Moby Dick...isn't the whole thing a backing track?

Thanks for the reply . Fair point you like the synths on In Through the Out Door & for sure synth textures were used to good effect on songs like No Quarter, Four Sticks , In the Light but removing the over use of keyboard would make the album IMHO sound more like Presence album & classic Led Zeppelin . I can't see how removing something would try & make it sound like you you refer to as todays music. For the record there are no new bands I like & even the so called new records I bought in 2013 were done by established artists like Nick Cave, Bowie, Scott Walker, Julian Cope,Daft Punk.

To be honest with you I was 12 in 1979 when ITTOD came out & Led Zeppelin were a band I had only heard of in name. At that time I was listening to Public Image, The Skids, The Damned & the Clash . I appreciated AC/DC & Thin Lizzy but I was just starting in music & you may remember at that point a lot of people did not look back on classic rock music like we do now. Even Bowie was considered a bit of an old man back then.

Thanks for the reply . Fair point you like the synths on In Through the Out Door & for sure synth textures were used to good effect on songs like No Quarter, Four Sticks , In the Light but removing the over use of keyboard would make the album IMHO sound more like Presence album & classic Led Zeppelin . I can't see how removing something would try & make it sound like you you refer to as todays music. For the record there are no new bands I like & even the so called new records I bought in 2013 were done by established artists like Nick Cave, Bowie, Scott Walker, Julian Cope,Daft Punk.

To be honest with you I was 12 in 1979 when ITTOD came out & Led Zeppelin were a band I had only heard of in name. At that time I was listening to Public Image, The Skids, The Damned & the Clash . I appreciated AC/DC & Thin Lizzy but I was just starting in music & you may remember at that point a lot of people did not look back on classic rock music like we do now. Even Bowie was considered a bit of an old man back then.

I suppose that I am a tradionalist in the sense that I believe the music passed muster when the band chose to release it, and the album sold by the boat load, meaning that the public adopted it as being worthwhile, so I would not alter it appreciably today. As I said before, we wouldn't alter the Mona Lisa to make it more contemporary by giving her a nose ring, and I would never advocate altering any classic album because someone subjectively decided that it sounded dated. I love ITTOD. Perhaps you noticed? :)

To replace the synths in ITTOD would be like George Lucas making those stupid changes to several of his movies. There was no need, is no need and to do so would ruin the album just like he ruined his movies by revising shit that was fine to begin with.

Almost as much as we all know kingzoso loves Breaking Bad. Hee hee.

Haha. Guilty as charged. What can I say? The day that I bought this album, when it was newly released, is still emblazoned on my brain. I still relive that day with each play. As Robert would say, "Spektakalah". :)

I suppose that I am a tradionalist in the sense that I believe the music passed muster when the band chose to release it, and the album sold by the boat load, meaning that the public adopted it as being worthwhile, so I would not alter it appreciably today. As I said before, we wouldn't alter the Mona Lisa to make it more contemporary by giving her a nose ring, and I would never advocate altering any classic album because someone subjectively decided that it sounded dated. I love ITTOD. Perhaps you noticed?

I think of the remasters as more like cleaning/restoring the Mona Lisa to bring it back to Leonardo's original intent.

I think of the remasters as more like cleaning/restoring the Mona Lisa to bring it back to Leonardo's original intent.

Yes, and I am fully in favor of a remix, and clean-up. That makes perfect sense. What I did not agree with is the suggestion that the master work be materially altered by removing synths. It would be wrong to re-write history, and I doubt that Jimmy would ever do that with ITTOD, just as he didn't alter the track listing or running order of the original albums, when he created the Deluxe Editions. Like valuable antiques, there are things that you can do to preserve them and make them better, but to substantially alter them devalues them significantly. A refresh would be great, and I agree with you there.

If at some point, Jimmy released a whole separate album called "Naked ITTOD", with synths removed, that would be okay too, as long as it existed alongside the original release, and didn't replace it. Who knows, maybe he'll do that with the companion disc of ITTOD, but I'm more inclined to think we'll see outtakes and demos, or a 1980 concert, replete with ITTOD tracks.

Hey anybody else see this on Led Zeppelin News' twitter?

@LedZepNews: NEWS: Leaked snippets of the remastered vinyl versions of the first three Led Zeppelin albums have been circulating online

@LedZepNews: Weve heard three remastered vinyl tracks from the forthcoming reissued albums and there is a marked improvement in audio quality

Does anyone have any insight on where one can find the audio? I heard that they were on forums but I haven't found it yet. Just was wondering whether anyone was in on the scoop and knew anything about it.

Hey anybody else see this on Led Zeppelin News' twitter?

@LedZepNews: NEWS: Leaked snippets of the remastered vinyl versions of the first three Led Zeppelin albums have been circulating online

@LedZepNews: Weve heard three remastered vinyl tracks from the forthcoming reissued albums and there is a marked improvement in audio quality

Does anyone have any insight on where one can find the audio? I heard that they were on forums but I haven't found it yet. Just was wondering whether anyone was in on the scoop and knew anything about it.

Or you could download a few tracks from iTunes and Bob's your bloody uncle.

Yes, I actually did find them! What they are is snippets of the CD and vinyl remasters of D'yer Mak'er, That's the Way, and Tangerine. I've got the link here and they are on page 82 of the discussion.

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42009&start=2025

Actually, it's D'yer Mak'er, That's the Way, and Gallows Pole (just FYI).

EDIT: lcondo is actually right - it's Tangerine, not Gallows Pole - sorry!

Archived