New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Zep IV and Houses of the Holy will be coming out in October: That's confirmed from a source in a position to know.

The early and mid-2015 release dates for the remaining four albums was just speculation (by me), based only on extrapolating from the gap between first two release dates (June and October 2014). There is currently NO confirmation of release dates for the final four albums.

Zep IV and Houses lacking live tracks: This too is confirmed, alas. Both albums' bonus material, again from my source, are confirmed to be the same eight track titles as the main albums. For Zep IV, they're in the same running order as the main album. For Houses, the running order apparently has been altered - although it's possible the altered running order could apply only to the vinyl version.

Unless the bonus-disc strategy shifts radically on PG, Presence, and ITTOD, it seems that Coda is the only possible album that could include actual, new songs that aren't just outtakes, alt versions, or very close relatives of the official album tracks. And as many folks have said before, Coda is the natural place for such bombshells: (1) It's designed as an odds-n-ends album; and (2) It's nearly impossible to imagine what else there could be for the bonus disc.

Also, IMHO, the absence of Hey Hey What Can I Do from the Led Zep III bonus disc means it's an absolute certainty that the Coda bonus disc will include whatever unreleased songs exist. While it is true that Hey Hey What Can I Do (plus two other tracks) did appear on the "expanded" version of Coda in the 1990s, that was just one special remaster version included as part of a box set. These new remasters are intended to be for posterity, so I believe the main Coda disc will just be the original 8 tracks. And that means Hey Hey What Can I Do, Baby Come on Home, White Summer - and at least a few truly unreleased tracks (or major sound-quality upgrades from the bootlegs) - will appear on the Coda bonus disc.

i think we know some of the possible candidates:

- Anything we haven't heard from the Zep I sessions, like Train Kept A-rollin or As Long as I Have You - but that's if they even exist, and that's a really big "if"

- Sugar Mama from the Zep II sessions

- Lost in Space and St. Tristan's Sword from the Zep IV/Houses era, if they exist at all, and in anything like finished form

- Swan Song, although it might end up on the Physical Graffiti bonus disc because it's technically part of the same Page guitar composition that produced "Kashmir"

- Fire from the ITTOD sessions, if it exists in anything more developed and better-sounding that the cool but poor-sounding rehearsal tape that circulates on the bootlegs

- ??? something else we don't know about ???

FWIW I hope they don't include "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" on the remastered Coda...I'd rather they save that for the expanded remaster of BBC Sessions. :P

I agree. Travelling riverside blues too. It'll give them more room to include the studio take of as long as I have you, that they so obviously have... :)

Thanks for the video, Sam!

After watching it closely a couple of times, I discovered that you can read the download card:

To download high definition audio tracks of the original album (96 kHz/24 bit) and the companion audio (48 khz/24 bit) please visit the url below and use your unique code:

www.ledzeppelin.com/HDdownload

xxx-xxx-xxxx-xxx

THIS CARD IS GOOD FOR ONE DOWNLOAD

Could be a placeholder url, but it could also be the nail-in-the-coffin for the whole iTunes HD audio rumour...or it could redirect you to websites that would sell you the hi-res downloads. Can't wait to find out!

So LZ1 is the only re-issue to have live performances?

Does anyone know if a combined complete box set of all reissued albums will be sold - for a discount?

John Davis made an offhand comment that made it seem that way, but who knows?

• Administrators

----

Technical note: The new remasters were created from 192 kHz/24 bit digital transfers of the original analogue tapes. The catalogue is being remastered now to take advantage of the significant advances in mastering technology that have occurred since 1991.

----

added to the news posting:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/news/2014/03/13/first-three-albums-newly-remastered-previously-unreleased-companion-audio

• Administrators

So these are definitely coming in 192 KhZ/24 bit then?

They're mastered from "192 kHz/24 bit digital transfers of the original analogue tapes".

The HD download is:

-High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit. (Live tracks are 48kHz/24 bit).

They're mastered from "192 kHz/24 bit digital transfers of the original analogue tapes".

The HD download is:

-High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit. (Live tracks are 48kHz/24 bit).

Ooo, very cool! So analogue >> 24/192, remastering >> 24/96 for hi-res and 16/44 for CD

When I read that, the question in mind was: does 'original tapes' mean the multitrack feeds, or the stereo mixed master? If it is the latter, it limits the options for remastering quite a lot.

Does anyone have inside info on this point?

When I read that, the question in mind was: original tapes being the multitrack feeds, or the stereo mixed master? If it is the latter, it limits the options for remastering quite a lot.

Does anyone have inside info on this point?

Well it wouldn't be a "remaster" if they worked from the multi-tracks, would it? It would be a "remix."

Indeed it would. But logic and accuracy in the use of language have never been a cornerstone of the audio industry. :angel: I thought it's worth asking, to see if they really mean just a remaster.

If true, (no multi-tracks), it means no hope of anything beyond 2.0 from the new releases, and limited scope for sonic improvement. A pity. But, you will be right.

Heard the interview on the way to work, as usual Robert dismissive of

his back catalogue .Jimmy proud. Best bit from Robert" I would like to tell my 19 yr old self to calm down

I was over singing!" Really? on the chances of one more go around with Zep "Zero" came the response.

Sorry to upset all the Bob lovers on the board but man comes across as a complete arse these days.

Anyway the music snippets sounded great and as Robert said "these things are to be played not studied"

Lesson for us all maybe.

Heard the interview on the way to work, as usual Robert dismissive of

his back catalogue .Jimmy proud. Best bit from Robert" I would like to tell my 19 yr old self to calm down

I was over singing!" Really? on the chances of one more go around with Zep "Zero" came the response.

Sorry to upset all the Bob lovers on the board but man comes across as a complete arse these days.

Anyway the music snippets sounded great and as Robert said "these things are to be played not studied"

Lesson for us all maybe.

Why is he an arse ? Just because he isn't doing what you want him to do. Zero, I think that is a great response, confirmed closure at last.

Radio 4 interview 23/04/2014:

Jimmy Page - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01xrydj

Robert Plant - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01xry49

Thanks for posting those Mr E., it was nice to be able to hear this since I'd missed the original airings! I hope that all three of the surviving members live to be >100 but Jimmy is such a realist and seems to want to wrap things up in such a way that his life's story is told in a manner in which it won't have to, or even be given the chance to, be retold by others than the man himself. I respect that so very much, Jimmy is the quintessential gentleman who really sees things the way that things are and the way that they should and hopefully will be.

Why is he an arse ? Just because he isn't doing what you want him to do. Zero, I think that is a great response, confirmed closure at last.

I just find his attitude to his past career a bit disrespectful.He never seems to express pride

in their achievements and almost seems embarrassed by it .He also gives me the impression

that what ever band he is currently in is much much better than anything he ever did with Zeppelin.

Long winded eh? Arse is short and sweet and sums all that up!

I just find his attitude to his past career a bit disrespectful.He never seems to express pride

in their achievements and almost seems embarrassed by it .He also gives me the impression

that what ever band he is currently in is much much better than anything he ever did with Zeppelin.

Long winded eh? Arse is short and sweet and sums all that up!

I agree with this. I wrote a letter to The Guardian newspaper ( it was published) about this when he couldn't be arsed to collect the lifetime achievement award for Zeppelin a few years ago in the States.

Whilst Jimmy is proud of his achievements with Zeppelin, Plant always seems to be dismissive of his history and as Andrew says embarrassed by it. Never really understood that of him. But to be fair he has always been like that. Ever since i saw The Honeydrippers at Manchester Poly all those years ago and his first solo tour where he said "Piss Off" to someone who shouted Stairway, Robert Plant may as well never have been in the group. But then again he does seem to play a fair few Zeppelin tunes when he plays live

Archived