New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

It's not about saving a buck - it's all about file size.

1 minute of 128 k/bit mp3 takes up about 1mb

1 minute of 192/24 takes up about 33mb

This really mattered when memory was very expensive and the big selling point of digital music players was the sheer number of tunes you could fit on them.

Personally I think that 192/24 is utterly pointless - 96/24 is more than sufficient resolution for incredibly accurate reproduction for anything within the range of human hearing. It would be great if we had the hearing range of, say, dogs or bats...... or if the microphones and recording equipment used in recording studios back in the 70's (and even today....) could actually faithfully reproduce anything above about 18kHz.

For those who are interested and not totally blinded by the 'bigger is always better' bollocks, this makes some really informative reading:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Well, yes & no really to the above.

Speaking as not only a mix/mastering engineer but also as a DVD-A/V and BDA authoring company, 24/96 is indeed perfectly good enough - but the point of high resolution is not just about frequency response - especially given the old Helios consoles used did not respond above 20KHz either. It's more about not degrading the sound with the fragility of 16-bit and the aliasing/pre-ringing issues with 44.1 & 48KHz sample rates.

The referenced article is clever, but also misses a point when it starts to talk about how oversampling is a simple, clever "fix" - it is no such thing.

I will try to find ther exact reference, but the engineers at Philips said at the time the oversampling DAC was reducing quality compared to non oversampling and was not a good solution but a cheap patch.

The quote below is from http://www.research.philips.com/technologies/projects/cd/technology.html and clearly says oversampling was done because of A - the 14-bit converters available at thwe time, and B - to save money,

However Philips’ oversampling technology, originally born out of the necessity to use the early 14 bit D/A converters, and dismissed as a 'technical joke’ by other manufacturers who believed that a true 16 bit D/A converter followed by a steep analogue filter was the only way to go, was quickly embraced by most manufacturers of CD players. Because it meant there was no need to use highly complex analogue filters, while at the same time it allowed the often serious non-linearities of the D/A converters that were available at the time to be concealed

Getting serious here though.

I really, really want to buy the high res versions.

I do not want vinyl, CD or books - and originally had preordered these boxes but cancelled when I found out I was effectively paying close to a hundred pounds for a download.

To sum it up in one sentence - it's never gonna happen.

Now, if there was a minimum of a DVD in there with this cvontent in 24/96 I would have gritted my teeth & done it.

A standalone disc I would have been all over it.

A download for a hundred quid?

NO CHANCE.

^^^^ Two great posts there above. Made me think that seeing as Celebration Day is available on Blu-Ray audio why are not these upcoming remasters . Like neilwilkes said A hundred quid for a download 'No chance' But twenty quid for a Blu-Ray audio disc, Let's 'ave it.

Sam, thanks for the unboxing video and Mr E, Wow great interviews!!

Jimmy truly loves what was accomplished, and while all four members in my eyes are equal, yet another reason that without Bonzo it can never be the same and Jason did amazing in 2007 and I adore him but Bonzo was as they say...bombastic!! A lot of people aren't into the the long Moby Dick, but if you heard it live it was mind blowing! I look at this way and this is only my opinion that this was Jimmy's baby..and you never stop being a parent. My greatest hope is to see Jimmy live on stage again doing an acoustic set. I literally have an account with money set aside so that no matter the cost if he ever decides to do even a small tour I am prepared.

I don't see where Robert said anything negative. He has always been a lover of the blues and I think he gives credit to so many artist. He also is smart enough to know that the pace can never be recaptured IMHO. He walks the walk as he has gone on to do things that I would have never dreamed he would be doing.

The thing about this music to me besides the fact that no other band will ever be better IMHO is that the legacy is there and to tarnish that in any way would be a crime!

Like most everyone else of course it would be great to see them play live again, but my memories of seeing them live in 73 and 75, I prefer the memory of them like that.They were simply beyond magnificent :peace:

Very well said Deborah. I was too young to see them live so these remasters to me are like going out to buy the originals back in the day...I'm excited to hear any snippets of "new" material as it's made available and when I get my packages I'm going to do it "then as it was"...drop the needle on the vinyl, no CD, no digital.The way it should be!

I love hearing every live version of Moby Dick I can get my hands on; they truly capture Bonzo's "light and shade". It's not my place to judge other bands who have continued on after the loss of a band member yet when LZ disbanded after he passed it was the highest form of respect to him and the fans. IMHO this decision alone sets them apart from - and higher above - any other band in history.

^^^^ Two great posts there above. Made me think that seeing as Celebration Day is available on Blu-Ray audio why are not these upcoming remasters . Like neilwilkes said A hundred quid for a download 'No chance' But twenty quid for a Blu-Ray audio disc, Let's 'ave it.

It's "a hundred quid" for ALL the different formats -- you're deluding yourself if you believe that the hi-res downloads won't be available for sale outside the Super Deluxe box.

The reason there aren't Blu-Ray Audio releases, based on what I've heard from people in the industry? Celebration Day's didn't sell. If it had fared better, we would have seen BR-A releases for the reissues.

It's "a hundred quid" for ALL the different formats -- you're deluding yourself if you believe that the hi-res downloads won't be available for sale outside the Super Deluxe box.

The reason there aren't Blu-Ray Audio releases, based on what I've heard from people in the industry? Celebration Day's didn't sell. If it had fared better, we would have seen BR-A releases for the reissues.

Deluded am I? Thanks for that. The Blu-Ray audio CB did not sell well due to the fact it was available on Blu-Ray video. The Albums are a different kettle of fish. There is no way l would pay any money for a download hi res or not unless it was something that was only exclusively available in that format. So unless they are going to be put out via hi res disc, BR-A, DVD-A, SACD its just yer bog standard CDs for me.

Can someone please PM me the songs? Especially Key to the Highway, I just can't believe this... a NEW ZEPPELIN SONG! This is surely exciting!

No one is going to 'PM' you something that is not released yet. Also, Key to the Highway is a old Blues standard I believe originally by Freddie King.

No one is going to 'PM' you something that is not released yet. Also, Key to the Highway is a old Blues standard I believe originally by Freddie King.

I meant a new take, friend. And I was mistaken, I was awoken to news articles talking about new tracks and I thought they leaked. I just found the clips and am enjoying the interviews. Percy sounds enthusiastic to me about the project

Hi Dave! You are too kind! I am already planning on taking a day off work when they arrive. Like I told my boss, if you think I am going to be able to concentrate on work you can forget about it! :D

Call when you have time my friend:-),

Sounds like a great way to spend your day off! I may perhaps call you some time this weekend.

Deluded am I? Thanks for that. The Blu-Ray audio CB did not sell well due to the fact it was available on Blu-Ray video. The Albums are a different kettle of fish. There is no way l would pay any money for a download hi res or not unless it was something that was only exclusively available in that format. So unless they are going to be put out via hi res disc, BR-A, DVD-A, SACD its just yer bog standard CDs for me.

You might be onto something there, but I'd argue that it is also a super niche market. The number I was given was two-thousand units -- not sure if that's just US, or worldwide. That is abysmal.

I don't understand why you wouldn't pay for a digital file -- they're all digital files anyway! You could even burn your own DVD-A or BR-A, if you so desired...

Maybe I'll eat my hat, but I can't see Zeppelin denying themselves the sales of offering the hi-res music for sale outside the boxes.

Maybe I'll eat my hat, but I can't see Zeppelin denying themselves the sales of offering the hi-res music for sale outside the boxes.

Do you expect hi-res outside of the boxes to happen in June or perhaps delayed a little? I have the Led Zeppelin super deluxe on pre-order, have not yet done the same for II or III yet. If hi-res do become available outside of super deluxe, I'll have to have a conversation with my wallet about how we want to proceed. :friends:

I would think the hi res would be the last stuff to be released so the other tangible stuff can be sold before people start downloading the hi res for free somewhere and make their own discs. Thats what I would sell this stuff, but who am I?

You might be onto something there, but I'd argue that it is also a super niche market. The number I was given was two-thousand units -- not sure if that's just US, or worldwide. That is abysmal.

I don't understand why you wouldn't pay for a digital file -- they're all digital files anyway! You could even burn your own DVD-A or BR-A, if you so desired...

Well if it is a niche market that's me. Time before last I visited HMV in Liverpool they had two copies of CB on BR-A, last time I was in there they were gone.That's just Liverpool here in good old England. As for not paying for a downloadable digital file, well I like hard copy pressed to silver with a factory printed cover a CD-R, DVD-R, BR-R is not the same. So if you can buy it on hard copy, that's the way for me. The only paid for downloads in my collection are Black Crowes Live shows (about 30) I could have got them from an illegal download site like "the little green devil" but I'd rather pay for them( there's an example of download only exclusivity)Oh,also The BCs last album "Wiser Time" was only available via a paid download it came with front cover art but no tray art with tracklisting, that pissed me off no end a real wtf moment. Of course I do have a thousand or more discs of bootlegs burnt from free downloads because they are something else I'm not going to pay for, besides that way I feel like I'm getting something back for the cost of my internet connection. I'm tired now so I'm rambling. So there you go I'm just old fashioned an like to have some thing to hold with cover notes to read.

Do you expect hi-res outside of the boxes to happen in June or perhaps delayed a little? I have the Led Zeppelin super deluxe on pre-order, have not yet done the same for II or III yet. If hi-res do become available outside of super deluxe, I'll have to have a conversation with my wallet about how we want to proceed. :friends:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's staggered a bit. I'm having to have long conversations with my wallet...but it's about what we'd be paying for the individual formats (plus the book) anyway.

Well if it is a niche market that's me. [...] Of course I do have a thousand or more discs of bootlegs burnt from free downloads because they are something else I'm not going to pay for, besides that way I feel like I'm getting something back for the cost of my internet connection. I'm tired now so I'm rambling. So there you go I'm just old fashioned an like to have some thing to hold with cover notes to read.

A lot of people consider CDs a niche market, so maybe I'm totally off-base...trust me, I'd rather have a physical product too -- which is why I want to (and hopefully will) opt for the Super Deluxe sets. But when it comes to digital files anyway...it's just 1s and 0s on a computer, what does it matter how you get it?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's staggered a bit. I'm having to have long conversations with my wallet...but it's about what we'd be paying for the individual formats (plus the book) anyway.

A lot of people consider CDs a niche market, so maybe I'm totally off-base...trust me, I'd rather have a physical product too -- which is why I want to (and hopefully will) opt for the Super Deluxe sets. But when it comes to digital files anyway...it's just 1s and 0s on a computer, what does it matter how you get it?

Go for the Super Deluxes, if your wallet can afford it as I did. I know you're one of the core fans as I am and these editions will be quite special and may be something we will never see again. Don't know how many of these SDs will be produced, so hoping for one down the road long after its' release may not be guaranteed. There may be Ebay for these later, but could be quite inflated, depending on supply and demand. Who knows? It's really up to the individual on how much you want it. how great these releases may or may not be and how important it is to you!

Go for the Super Deluxes, if your wallet can afford it as I did. I know you're one of the core fans as I am and these editions will be quite special and may be something we will never see again. Don't know how many of these SDs will be produced, so hoping for one down the road long after its' release may not be guaranteed. There may be Ebay for these later, but could be quite inflated, depending on supply and demand. Who knows? It's really up to the individual on how much you want it. how great these releases may or may not be and how important it is to you!

Yup. My vinyl LZ collection numbers in the hundreds, and my overall vinyl collection in the thousands. I just purged one of my duplicate $40 Classic Records for $375 U.S.. A physical product has value. A download is worthless. I am fortunate enough to have acquired some of this planet's rarest records, and the market never fails for these. If at all possible, think investment as well as enjoyment.

I wont lie, I was starting to waver on my preorders. Reading all of the negative speculation and rumors of what was going to be on these was getting to me. I'm so glad that they released these two samples, as I am now 100% back on the Super Deluxe train :D

It is fantastic to be able to hear the alternate vocal track in this quality. Before this, it was only available as headphone (?) bleed on the LZ II multitracks. I expect the rest of the sets to be just about the same, and I will be buying all of them.

About the HD audio downloads...I plan on using them to dub to 15ips 1/2 track reel tape, a nice alternative to vinyl or CD playback.

Just listened to those interviews. Interesting stuff.

It really pisses me off when interviewers sneak in questions about a possible reunion. I just wish they would leave that topic alone.

I didn't really feel like she snuck anything in at all. She asked some great questions, and then i think if anything she helped quell what would have been an inevitable question from fans and surely media alike. She specifically said that these releases would of course raise the Question. Page's answer was basically, ask Plant. Plant's reponse was zero. There ya go.

I didn't really feel like she snuck anything in at all. She asked some great questions, and then i think if anything she helped quell what would have been an inevitable question from fans and surely media alike. She specifically said that these releases would of course raise the Question. Page's answer was basically, ask Plant. Plant's reponse was zero. There ya go.

Wow. I mean Plant doesn't pull back on the punch AT ALL. "What are the chances you'll play together again"? Plant (after rolling his eyes): Zero.

Good interviews, though. Does sound like Page had more in the vaults than they went through for Coda.

Archived