New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

The Postman has just been with my July edition of MOJO issue 248....with a twenty one page Led Zeppelin feature...Including "The 50 greatest Led Zeppelin songs of all time" " From the Yardbirds to Led Zeppelin" and "The 2014 remasters reviewed"

I wonder how MOJO's "50 Greatest" will compare to Guitar World's "50 Greatest":

http://www.guitarworld.com/50-greatest-led-zeppelin-songs

Today's (Saturday) edition of the UK Times newspaper has a cover interview with Jimmy discussing the re-releases in its 'Review' section.

This article says 'La La' features JPJ on vocals (although it does not quote Jimmy saying that directly)

This article says 'La La' features JPJ on vocals (although it does not quote Jimmy saying that directly)

Classic Rock mag review says (La La) "Instrumental, initially driven by JPJ on Hammond organ. It runs through several distinct sections but without a vocal track........

If someone could share that Times articale, that would be fabolous. The link on the website fades. In the mean time, Cookie sent this link to me of extremely interesting and beautiful pictures that were taken during the interview. These are possibly from the articale but he was also interveiwed by a Norwegian journalist as well.

http://steffenroth.com/news/2014/5/21/jimmy-page

If someone could share that Times articale, that would be fabolous. The link on the website fades. In the mean time, Cookie sent this link to me of extremely interesting and beautiful pictures that were taken during the interview. These are possibly from the articale but he was also interveiwed by a Norwegian journalist as well.

http://steffenroth.com/news/2014/5/21/jimmy-page

The Times puts its articles behind a paywall I'm afraid. I subscribe to the iPad edition

My understanding of Lala:

I believe that Jimmy has said that John Paul Jones does not sing on any of these albums. Lala was an instrumental that had an accompanying guide vocal by Robert, in which he simply sings Lala, while trying to work out a vocal melody. Apparently, John Paul Jones helped in some way when working out that melody.

My understanding of Lala:

I believe that Jimmy has said that John Paul Jones does not sing on any of these albums. Lala was an instrumental that had an accompanying guide vocal by Robert, in which he simply sings Lala, while trying to work out a vocal melody. Apparently, John Paul Jones helped in some way when working out that melody.

It is highly possible that The Times has got that wrong

Classic Rock mag review says (La La) "Instrumental, initially driven by JPJ on Hammond organ. It runs through several distinct sections but without a vocal track........

It is highly possible that The Times has got that wrong

Indeed they have got it wrong.

From the sample I have heard at least of Imigrant song the seperation of tracking is much clearer and Roberts voice is much more pronounced. That is in my humble opinion but gives me reason to believe that there is something great in store for the faithful. Not quite the anticipation I remember for the release of physical Graffiti though it's going to make me finally invest in a new sound system. LOL! I long to be blown away again...

The playback last night in Oxford Street was amazing, it was brilliant to hear the songs turned up to 11! The sound system was so great you'd have thought that the guys were actually on stage.

Out of the previously unreleased tracks that were played, the alternate Gallows Pole was the standout IMO, a more rocky version to my ears and some amazing JPJ bass lines that I can't hear on the original. I have to say that the remastering is phenomenal, the songs sounded so clear and you can make out every little nuance. The drums and the bass sound amazing, makes you appreciate even more how brilliant a rhythm section JPJ and Bonzo were. I'll certainly be picking up all the vinyls when I can afford them!

I have to say this year seems to be a great year to be a Zeppelin fan, these remasters and then Robert's first rock album in almost a decade!

The playback last night in Oxford Street was amazing, it was brilliant to hear the songs turned up to 11! The sound system was so great you'd have thought that the guys were actually on stage.

Out of the previously unreleased tracks that were played, the alternate Gallows Pole was the standout IMO, a more rocky version to my ears and some amazing JPJ bass lines that I can't hear on the original. I have to say that the remastering is phenomenal, the songs sounded so clear and you can make out every little nuance. The drums and the bass sound amazing, makes you appreciate even more how brilliant a rhythm section JPJ and Bonzo were. I'll certainly be picking up all the vinyls when I can afford them!

I have to say this year seems to be a great year to be a Zeppelin fan, these remasters and then Robert's first rock album in almost a decade!

Agreed about the sound system. I was standing with Dave Lewis next to the right speaker stack - the bass line on Gallows Pole was something to behold.

And let's not forget the non-limited release of Jimmy's photo autobiography for the great unwashed. I pre-ordered mine yesterday!

Man,

the box sets

Robert's album

Jimmy's interviews and activity

Jimmy's book

and of course, Jimmy getting the honorary doctorate from Berklee and me FINALLY seeing him

Fuckin' great year to be a Zep fan! :elvis2:

The more I read and watch the recent promotional interviews (there will be more I suspect over the next week leading up to the release of the first 3 sets), the more I think he won't be putting out anything solo for at least 3 years, at the earliest, (IMO, IV, HOTH and PG releases were due to occur in December 14 / Jan 15 and the last 3 around June next year).

The reason being is, it is most likely the next releases, of which IV (if not all of them), could now be delayed indefinitely due to the Spirit court case.

It is doubtful he would release the second bunch unless they could all come out at the same time.

I could (and hope to) be wrong of course but it would not be consistent with his original plan.

So with all that in mind, and presuming the lawsuit is settled quickly (unlikely, as the judicial system is very slow at the best of times), there are other things that must happen before he can go out on the road.

First, he must record whatever he has with other musicians, it'll be interesting to find out who'll they be, then mix, release and promote the finished product.

Secondly, form a touring band most probably from the same players on the album if they are available.

Jimmy as we all know, is very meticulous and does not rush anything so it seems, we won't hear about a new solo / collaboration project for quite a while.

The whole situation sucks and I don't want to bring anyone down but being a realist, it is better to prepare for the worst and accept things for what they are, that way when things do work out everything feels much better.

I can imagine how Page is feeling at the moment and hopefully he isn't too depressed about it, he will handle it and common sense along with justice, like he, will prevail.

Good times, Bad Times takes on a whole different meaning.

On a positive note, we will have something tangible to crank up in just over a week.

The more I read and watch the recent promotional interviews (there will be more I suspect over the next week leading up to the release of the first 3 sets), the more I think he won't be putting out anything solo for at least 3 years, at the earliest, (IMO, IV, HOTH and PG releases were due to occur in December 14 / Jan 15 and the last 3 around June next year).

The reason being is, it is most likely the next releases, of which IV (if not all of them), could now be delayed indefinitely due to the Spirit court case.

It is doubtful he would release the second bunch unless they could all come out at the same time.

I could (and hope to) be wrong of course but it would not be consistent with his original plan.

So with all that in mind, and presuming the lawsuit is settled quickly (unlikely, as the judicial system is very slow at the best of times), there are other things that must happen before he can go out on the road.

First, he must record whatever he has with other musicians, it'll be interesting to find out who'll they be, then mix, release and promote the finished product.

Secondly, form a touring band most probably from the same players on the album if they are available.

Jimmy as we all know, is very meticulous and does not rush anything so it seems, we won't hear about a new solo / collaboration project for quite a while.

The whole situation sucks and I don't want to bring anyone down but being a realist, it is better to prepare for the worst and accept things for what they are, that way when things do work out everything feels much better.

I can imagine how Page is feeling at the moment and hopefully he isn't too depressed about it, he will handle it and common sense along with justice, like he, will prevail.

Good times, Bad Times takes on a whole different meaning.

On a positive note, we will have something tangible to crank up in just over a week.

I agree it won't be quick if he really wants to put out a record and tour as he's certainly got a lot of groundwork to do. He needs to find a band that he gels with, find a singer to write vocal melodies and lyrics over whatever he's written and then rehearse before a tour. I guess Jason on drums is always a possibility, as for singers well Jay Buchanan from Rival Sons would be amazing, as would Chris Cornell or Myles Kennedy. The trouble is they've already in bands (two in Myles' case) who are being really active.

Part of me does think that Jimmy could actually be serious this time as the buzz about the reissues will continue for a couple of years so he can ride that wave. Also, the guy's 70 now, he may think that its now or never and that may have motivated him to do something. Maybe he wants to do one final record/tour, a sort of victory lap.

The realist in me however thinks that it's just the same old stuff he's said before, like whenever members of Guns N' Roses say there's new material coming. I guess saying there's plans for new stuff sounds better than saying there's nothing on the horizon in interviews. It has been my dream for many years now to see Jimmy play live and I don't want to get my hopes up.

I agree it won't be quick if he really wants to put out a record and tour as he's certainly got a lot of groundwork to do. He needs to find a band that he gels with, find a singer to write vocal melodies and lyrics over whatever he's written and then rehearse before a tour. I guess Jason on drums is always a possibility, as for singers well Jay Buchanan from Rival Sons would be amazing, as would Chris Cornell or Myles Kennedy. The trouble is they've already in bands (two in Myles' case) who are being really active.

Part of me does think that Jimmy could actually be serious this time as the buzz about the reissues will continue for a couple of years so he can ride that wave. Also, the guy's 70 now, he may think that its now or never and that may have motivated him to do something. Maybe he wants to do one final record/tour, a sort of victory lap.

The realist in me however thinks that it's just the same old stuff he's said before, like whenever members of Guns N' Roses say there's new material coming. I guess saying there's plans for new stuff sounds better than saying there's nothing on the horizon in interviews. It has been my dream for many years now to see Jimmy play live and I don't want to get my hopes up.

I think Jimmy wants to believe what he is saying about a solo band and album, but I agree that it is unlikely at this point. I don't think IV- Coda will be delayed, especially since the judge just blasted Spirit's lawyer, but taking on a solo project is a huge undertaking. Jimmy needs to find musicians, write an album's worth of songs (he says he has material, but I doubt he has completed songs with lyrics and everything), record them, come up with packaging ideas and a release plan, rehearse at least 20 songs for a setlist, finalize dates, etc. That is at least a 2 year commitment. IF he really decides to tour the earliest we would see a solo show would be in late 2015. I just don't see that happening, and it isn't because he doesn't want it, it is just a huge project.

I hope I am wrong!

I think Jimmy wants to believe what he is saying about a solo band and album, but I agree that it is unlikely at this point. I don't think IV- Coda will be delayed, especially since the judge just blasted Spirit's lawyer, but taking on a solo project is a huge undertaking. Jimmy needs to find musicians, write an album's worth of songs (he says he has material, but I doubt he has completed songs with lyrics and everything), record them, come up with packaging ideas and a release plan, rehearse at least 20 songs for a setlist, finalize dates, etc. That is at least a 2 year commitment. IF he really decides to tour the earliest we would see a solo show would be in late 2015. I just don't see that happening, and it isn't because he doesn't want it, it is just a huge project.

I hope I am wrong!

I wonder if this is ultimately why he hasn't released anything over the years. Maybe when it comes down to it he just doesn't want to undertake such a big commitment or maybe he just can't find singers and musicians he gels with. In an interview with David Coverdale during the Coverdale-Page era Jimmy said he was listening to a lot of singers but didn't feel inspired by any until DC came around. Maybe he's been having the same problem again the last few years. I guess that one of the main problems is that Robert is such a great singer that its hard to find someone who would do the Zeppelin songs justice were he to play them live. It also strikes me that Jimmy has mainly collaborated with other big names (Paul Rodgers, David Coverdale, Plant again in the '90s, The Black Crowes) since the Zeppelin split so maybe he just isn't as happy being a solo artist as he is being in a band/collaboration. Time wll tell ultimately if he follows through with his plans. It would be great if he followed Slash's model. Interestingly, Slash checked Myles Kennedy out because Page, Jones and Jason Bonham were in '08, he figured if he was good enough to front those guys then he must be good!

Archived