New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Obviously I've not heard these yet but I'd say that an expensive hi fi would certainly help in regards to hearing the differences. The MOJO review claimed that the 1st LP remaster made things slightly clearer.

Obviously I've not heard these yet but I'd say that an expensive hi fi would certainly help in regards to hearing the differences. The MOJO review claimed that the 1st LP remaster made things slightly clearer.

Some details here and there - yes. But it's not a complete new experience. You don't sit there and say "Wooooww". It's more like "Ok, let's move to disc 2". (for someone like me who has heard every track hundreds of times)

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin, 'I, II, III' (Deluxe Editions): Album review
Jimmy Page oversees the reissue and remastering of the band's first three albums, and he included a host of lost gems and alternate takes.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS | Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Who hasn't dreamed of re-writing their past?
Jimmy Page has been indulging that fantasy to the ultimate degree lately by curating a deluxe series of Led Zeppelin releases. Starting Tuesday, June 3, the guitarist will begin doling out double versions of the band's nine studio albums, with each classic disc matched to a second set filled with "alternate" versions and lost outtakes from the same era.

Super-fans will want to gobble down all of them for their spruced-up fidelity alone. But anyone sick of shelling out for the same old songs has a way around it. You can download exactly the "new" versions you want via iTunes or stream them through Spotify. The first three sets will be ready for cherry-picking next Tuesday. The initial sets offer 25 added tracks in total. Here's a guide to what you’ll get:

From "Led Zeppelin":

Since no alternate versions exist of the band's hastily assembled 1969 debut, Page dug up a full French concert recorded that year. Hard-core fans have had it on bootleg for years, but this take gives it a fresh sheen.

- "Communication Breakdown": The first speed metal song in history gets a ruthless run-through here, enlivened by a freshly manic solo.

- "I Can't Quit You Baby": This take comes laced with especially grinding, mocking runs from Page.

- "Heartbreaker": Recorded just twelve days before its studio incarnation came out, this version has even more speed and freedom than the one we all know and love. Page's solo has a new frenzy, goosed by John Paul Jones' spidery bass lines coiling below.

- "Dazed and Confused": A 15-minute stunner, this run at the classic captures Page right when he hit on the technique of pulling a violin bow across his guitar strings. It's an extra-spooky interpretation, capturing the greatest gift Zep brought to the blues — a sense of abstraction.

- "White Summer/Black Mountain Side": At nine minutes, it's a much longer, more astringent and inventive run at Page's classic rewrite of Bert Jansche's interpretation of the folk standard. Both the physical agility, and the amped-up eastern-influence, in the guitar fingerings will stun you.

- "You Shook Me": A nice harmonica solo, and some choice vocal scatting, from Plant balloons this blues into the nether reaches of psychedelia.
- "Moby Dick" Another nine-minute spin, with three-quarters of it devoted to John Bonham's bottom-heavy solo. Even the drum-phobic may dig its chunky power.

- "How Many More Times": This take gives the proto-metal anthem a punky new push.

From "Led Zeppelin II":

- "Whole Lotta Love": A rough mix of the hit, this alterna-take offers a looser vocal, and a different rhythm to the guitar riffs that set up the chorus. It also includes a far longer "freak out" midsection with new percussive blips and burps. Each switch proves a marvel.

- "What Is and What Should Never Be": A dreamier take, with less punch but more folk beauty.

- "Thank You": Shorn of its lead vocal, the full richness of the organ comes to the fore, communicating a voice of its own.

- "Heartbreaker": A more playful solo break from Page in the center adds a coy twist.

- "Living Lovin Maid": Added bounce to the beat, and the lack of a vocal track, gives this version extra lift. It also lets you concentrate on the tension of the central riff.

- "Ramble On": Subtle shifts in the acoustic bits let the track breathe.

- "Moby Dick": A short rehearsal track of the famous drum vehicle.

- "La La": A never before heard track, without vocal, "La La" sounds surprisingly poppy and un-Zeppelin-like. The bright melody, and elaborate chords, stoke the imagination for how it might have been completed.

From "Led Zeppelin III":

- "The Immigrant Song": A tinnier take on the classic with a smudgier, psychedelic flourish at the close.

- "Friends": This instrumental run at "Friends" emphasizes the sinister nature of its minor-key riff.

- "Celebration Day": A barely distinguishable variation on the official cut.

- "Since I've Been Loving You": Though slightly shorter than the regular version, the pleading vocal has extra tension, the organ gets more play and Page's long blues solo pulls you in a whole new direction.

- "Bathroom Sound": An instrumental interpretation of the "Zep III" track "Out on the Tiles," this elaboration injects some cool twists into an already killer riff.

- "Gallows Pole": A leaner, expanded run at the song sticks with its acoustic focus, tipping it in a more purely Celtic direction.

- "That's the Way": In this version, the acoustic guitars have a richer, pastoral twinkle.

- "Jennings Farm Blues": A revelatory instrumental run at the music that later developed into "Bron Y Aur Stomp." The double guitar solos here have a harder, and more conventional, blues progression. It sounds like something Page would have cut in The Yardbirds. Or what it might have sounded like if he, instead of Duane Allman, joined Clapton in Derek and the Dominoes.

- "Keys to the Highway/Trouble In Mind": Never before heard interpretations of two blues standards. The dusty acoustic sound, with a spooky high vocal from Plant, mimics the surreal screech of the last song on Zep's official third album, "Hats Off to Roy Harper."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/led-zeppelin-ii-iii-deluxe-editions-album-review-article-1.1803604

music27f-1-web.jpg?enlarged

People who have already received their Super Deluxe sets are reporting that Led Zeppelin III is being delayed. Any confirmation on that, Sam?

It's that damn spinning wheel holding things up again!

If anyone is interested.... this Sunday, June 2nd - there will be a Nationally Broadcast Program, "Led Zeppelin Deluxe I-II-III • Jimmy Page and Robert Plant" produce by In The Studio with Redbeard - 10pm ET / 9pm Central. Probably a compilation of In The Studio Interviews but I imagine it will be well done... one last blast to get us pumped up for Monday's release! (not that anyone needs it) Here's link to all of the participating radio stations - I'm sure they all have online streaming options:

http://www.inthestudio.net/radio-stations/radio-stations/

Surprised, no one has mentioned La La which has been available for streaming on Soundcloud since today. Someone familiar to us provided it. Found out on Rolling Stone's site. Quite a unique instrumental and so varied with so many twists and turns. Much "Light and Shade" with this. WOW! Some of Jimmy's guitar playing, especially in the second half of it, would remind me of his Yardbirds' time as well as the solo on "Lemon Song" he performed from the Fillmore on 4/27/69. Just an observation.

What do you think? Just a great part of these archives that we can now enjoy! Great work Jimmy and much obliged! :yourock:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/listen-to-led-zeppelins-unreleased-instrumental-la-la-20140529

I like it a lot.

It doesn't sound like "typical" Zeppelin, but I don't know why some people think that's a bad thing. It's really interesting, full of great hooks, and if I want "regular" Zeppelin I've got 100+ of the best songs in the history of rock to listen to.

Yes, I think it's because of the feast day we have here tomorrow and amazon wanted to be sure that the discs arrive on friday (official release date here in Germany).

Listening to the Paris concert right now :stereo::suntan:

Hello everyone!

First post after just reading for a while :-)

I must say you are VERY lucky that you received your CD's already!!

I also am from Germany and pre-ordered the super deluxe sets, which I originally should get tomorrow.

Now, apparently there is again a strike at amazon here in Germany, and now it says 'estimated delivery on June 2'

Just unfair, two more days to wait :-(

Hello everyone!

First post after just reading for a while :-)

I must say you are VERY lucky that you received your CD's already!!

I also am from Germany and pre-ordered the super deluxe sets, which I originally should get tomorrow.

Now, apparently there is again a strike at amazon here in Germany, and now it says 'estimated delivery on June 2'

Just unfair, two more days to wait :-(

That's really annoying! I was surprised when I received my delivery note from Amazon on Tuesday. I read some other German fans already have their cds too!

That's really annoying! I was surprised when I received my delivery note from Amazon on Tuesday. I read some other German fans already have their cds too!

Hmm... They probably just shipped the CD's earlier.

Maybe I am lucky and will get my delivery note today, but I'm not really expecting it..

Anyways, enjoy your CD's!

"Led Zeppelin Deluxe I-II-III • Jimmy Page and Robert Plant" produced by In The Studio with Redbeard - will air on radio stations Sunday, June 1st... 10pm ET / 9pm Central. The In The Studio website has a June 2nd date listed which must be when the show will be available on the website for re-streaming.

Germans aren't just able to buy the physical product...they have the hi-res files thanks to Highresaudio.com, as well.

I hate waiting! :P

Let's face it Jimmy always had a thing for the German people and culture. It was reflected in his shows, artwork, and personal tastes. He liked and respected the "Germanic" work ethic and quality of craftsmanship the culture brought to market.

The fact that Germany can say they have the new re - issues first does not surprise me at all. Not accidental.

Let's face it Jimmy always had a thing for the German people and culture. It was reflected in his shows, artwork, and personal tastes. He liked and respected the "Germanic" work ethic and quality of craftsmanship the culture brought to market.

The fact that Germany can say they have the new re - issues first does not surprise me at all. Not accidental.

...Or, you know, it's licensing agreements and/or stores selling their product early, which happens. :P

I am absolutely disgusted that people in Germany are getting these releases days before the rest of us & have sent a strongly worded letter to Steve Tyler's mum or somebody like that...

In all seriousness though, I've been checked Amazon UK all day to see if mine have been shipped, nothing yet.

...Or, you know, it's licensing agreements and/or stores selling their product early, which happens. :P

True that does happen...but not in this case. This early release to the Rhineland has Jimmy's handprint all over it. Good for them - I can wait a few more days.

Archived