New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

This month's UK magazine Classic Rock has an article by Tight But Loose main man Dave Lewis listing tracks that might appear

nice! does it specifically mention what they could include for 'Presence'?

Third night of Earl's Court? Simples. The kick drum wasn't recorded, that's why.

I remember reading this like in a Classic Rock issue around the time of the DVD in 2003. Wonder what the problem was for the first 2 shows at Earl's Court because I am sure they were taped also.

The Who recorded 2 shows when 'LIve at Leeds' was released. The show in Leeds and a show in Hull -1970. Well they didn't ever release the Hull show because the first 6 songs were missing the bass in the multitrack recording. Well they have released the Hull show now by transferring the bass from the Leeds show and it works. I just picked up a copy.

I actually forgot I had an account here. I've been lurking for far too long

Anyways...

I think that in order for the fans to continue repurchasing material, Page needs to pull out all the stops like PF did. Based on the speculation above in that article, I'm not so sure that that is enough for people to put down big money

I would think alternate and unreleased tracks from each album along with live material from every tour both in audio and video and specialized books with artilcles and unreleased photos from studio sessions and live

Maybe some of the bootlegs we've all loved over the years will be properly released and hopefully there's more that Jimmy has that is never spoken

Keeping fingers crossed

Thank you Geezer for the article - great quality scan.

Good to read old reliable Dave Lewis summing up most tracks which I already have, and yet I still LOVE reading the list of tracks that Lewis gives. I get that semi-OCD-autistic rush of ooh yeah and bring it on from reading stuff like this. Lists of rare Zep tracks! OBSESSIVE JOY! [Danger OCD semi-autistic alert! Males more commonly afflicted]. Line 6: "...sent their fans into paroxysms of joy..." :toast:

While I totally dig decent live tracks & concerts, I'm mostly a fan of the alternative mixes out there, like from PG sessions & 4th LP. Plus Swan Song (both versions). There's something about hearing a slightly different version of a well-known track... it can be really cool. Also, the instrumental versions I've heard are, I find, utterly compelling. No disrespect to Robert, but hearing the three lads groove on stuff like TUF, Kashmir, Out on the tiles (the drumming there alone is possibly Bonzo at his most swaggering) and my fave: the instrumental version of Celebration Day - it's all friggin fracking bing-bashing stone fuck amazing. Oh yeah: the instrumental version of Four Sticks is bitingly awesome. [Pull up! You're gonna crash in a pool of your own OCD fandrool!!].

I completely agree with Lewis' comment about salvaging ITTOD from the mud - there's a much better album in there waiting to be heard. In general that's the point for me about these forthcoming releases: it'll be great just to hear some bootlegged stuff in decent quality or fresher mixes of other tracks/LPs. I just hope each deluxe copy comes with a stitch-sewn handkerchief with each album's artwork intricately woven into silk, so that we can dab our silver eyes moistened by the sheer beauty and power of - [Alert! Medication time. Bring in ze comfy chair!].

Hmm I'm in a funny font mood. A font of activity. Ho ho ho. [OK now you're making bad puns - GET OFF!]

Anyhoo, bring it all on. It's all juicy gravy at this point. And sugar mama, I likes my gravy. :)

PS Happy New Year.

a possibility is the inclusion of alternate mixes that made it to test press status for LZ, LZII-IV

not the ones that have been shopped around on ebay for years, test press LPs for the band with different mixes, different intro/outro, with more dubs, less dubs, vocals back, vocals up.

I completely agree with Lewis' comment about salvaging ITTOD from the mud - there's a much better album in there waiting to be heard.

I completely disagree. These releases won't make anyone who doesn't already love In Through the Out Door a fan.

Melcórë, I agree with you, but I believe the point is about the audio mixing of ITTOD rather than who loves the album or not.

...Okay, having just heard the "Mastered for iTunes" In Through the Out Door: If this is anywhere close to the (re)mastering we'll get when Jimmy puts these sets out...the haters might be won over. It sounds crystal clear and effing brilliant.

Hoping for the DVD to come out blu ray

There would be no point. Almost everything that was shot on the DVD was shot with videotape. It'd be way overkill to do Blu-Ray, and in fact transferring it to a higher quality resolution like that would actually make it a bit worse, not better. RAH, which was shot with film, could be converted to Blu-Ray. They did it with The Song Remains The Same, which too was shot on film and later re-mastered for Blu-Ray. I'd personally love to see Royal Albert Hall Blu-Ray edition, with all that is on the DVD with Long Tall Sally included, and everything in proper track order. For bonus features, ALL the alternate angles would be available, and the Organ Solo, backstage footage and Heartbreaker fragment would all be included as well. Just my opinion of what a Royal Albert Hall standalone edition should be.

There would be no point. Almost everything that was shot on the DVD was shot with videotape. It'd be way overkill to do Blu-Ray, and in fact transferring it to a higher quality resolution like that would actually make it a bit worse, not better. RAH, which was shot with film, could be converted to Blu-Ray. They did it with The Song Remains The Same, which too was shot on film and later re-mastered for Blu-Ray. I'd personally love to see Royal Albert Hall Blu-Ray edition, with all that is on the DVD with Long Tall Sally included, and everything in proper track order. For bonus features, ALL the alternate angles would be available, and the Organ Solo, backstage footage and Heartbreaker fragment would all be included as well. Just my opinion of what a Royal Albert Hall standalone edition should be.

Utter bullshit. Videotaped material still looks better on Blu-ray (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression vs. obsolete MPEG-2). Don't forget about lossless audio such as DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Archived