New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

So many hitches and slip-ups for people... all very pre - Mercury Retrograde .

And so today I began the journey ... and I'm encountering hitches too...

After listening to my Led Zep 1 vinyl in great stereo, I put on LZ 11 and something's not right ... Whole Lotta Love has become Quite a Lotta Love .. one of the speakers had chosen to lose a connection somewhere. End of listening session, not having that.

But I leaf through the book and find that among its pristine pages are about 5 of them with marks, punctures, creases of some sort, presumably caused before the binding process . So it's off to the post office to return the whole LZ 11 box set to Amazon .

Next - time to do that digital download... took all night: my computer is overfull and I've had to clear space ... still not there.

This WILL be worth it !

Maybe this is nit picking but I'm a little disappointed that the CDs (or, more precisely, the CD packaging) included in the Led Zeppelin SDBS are not quite the same size as the deluxe of II and III. I suppose I'll have to live with it. Why not just put the deluxe version of the CDs in the SDBS? Seems easier.

First-world problems, eh?

Congratulations to all involved in this latest re - issue project under the loving eyes of Jimmy Page.

These include the engineers, technicians, assistants, and personnel who helped Jimmy realize his vision.

Not enough credit is given to the people who can bring such genius to life.

The re - issues and their companions are spectacular and works of high quality and mastery of the genre.

Well done by all! Cheers team!

Just checked my Amazon account, said ship date between June 9 - 13.... Cancelled order & went to Barnes & Noble which says June 3 ship date....also saved $42.00.....Hope I made the right move...

Well, just got my three deluxe box sets from B & N..... Two LZ 1s and a LZ 3 instead of 1,2,3.....oh boy.........

I'm having serious trouble downloading the hi-def files. It'll get about halfway through downloading the album and then it will just stop and not progress any further. Has anyone else gotten the same issues?

EDIT: Nevermind, managed to get it to work.

I predict more concert material for SRS companion disc!!!

The Song Remains The Same is not part of these box sets!

That one was remastered in 2007 and is pretty much complete with only Thank You missing from the final night on July 29th, which I think they only performed twice on that tour in 1973. Well, with the exception of Black Dog being complete and the gross reedit of NQ! :tomato: The other being in Los Angeles on June 3rd. I think that was the only airings of that song on the US tour.

My boxes were waiting for me at the front door last night....checked everything over for any damage, scratches, etc. NOTHING BUT PERFECTION! Seriously, I haven't handled vinyl in a while - these records seem much heavier than I remember, anybody else feel the same way? I thought about showing restraint and going album by album, but Walter Jr. wanted to hear the companion disc for III - so that's where I began last night (with a tall shot of Kraken). That was unbelievable! Next I put in the companion disc for II, awesome as well. Listened to the first three songs of the Paris concert - it sounds so much better than the boot (plus no irritating French DJ in the middle of the songs). Looking forward to going through the hard covered books, press releases, etc. over the next few days. Loved the attention to detail with the wheel in the cover for III, the plastic wrap for the cd's inside the covers, the boxes themselves they came in, everything is first class, IMO. I couldn't be happier with these releases, they are everything I hoped for and more......

Eventually I plan on getting the artwork print framed, for each album, also - but that's down the line.

They're heavier because these are 180g vinyl. A little tougher to scratch and wear down. Solid stuff.

Just spent time comparing a few tracks, remasters vs. the 1990 versions. A couple random observations. I hope this isn't redundant:

• "Ramble On"--Jones’ bass comes across a little beefier and cleaner. Very nice. Also noticed the song is now 10 seconds longer (in the fade out of course).
  • "That’s the Way" has a much brighter sound.
  • "I Can’t Quit You Baby" has a wider sound stage, very welcome upgrade.
  • On "Black Mountain Side" Jimmy’s guitar sounds *right there*.
  • Most intriguing: The balance on "Babe I’m Gonna Leave You" has been swapped. What in the 1990 version used to be in the left channel is now in the right, and vice versa. For example, Jimmy’s filigree (is that the right term?) at 1:37 has gone from far right to far left. Interesting change.

I need to compare more. ;)

Just spend time comparing a few tracks, remasters vs. the 1990 versions. A couple random observations. I hope this isn't redundant:

• "Ramble On"--Jones’ bass comes across a little beefier and cleaner. Very nice. Also noticed the song is now 10 seconds longer (in the fade out of course).
  • "That’s the Way" has a much brighter sound.
  • "I Can’t Quit You Baby" has a wider sound stage, very welcome upgrade
  • On "Black Mountain Side" Jimmy’s guitar sounds *right there*
  • Most intriguing: The balance on "Babe I’m Gonna Leave You" has been swapped. What in the 1990 version used to be in the left channel is now in the right, and vice versa. For example, Jimmy’s filigree (is that the right term?) at 1:37 has gone from far right to far left. Interesting change.

I need to compare more. ;)

AFAIA, the entire stereo-orientation of Led Zeppelin is now "correct," in that it matches the original album.

Super Deluxe 1 arrived. Noticed the cd's were packaged better: 2 sleeves before cardboard cover. Also cd label had slight blemish on the deluxe(of which I have 2 and 3). Super deluxe OTOH perfect.

I'm curious, for those who have all three SD's. How are the Super Deluxe sets of LZ 2 and 3 different from LZ1?

Thanks for the clarification Super Dave. So I'm assuming then it is just the 8 albums, not coda either?

I'm curious, for those who have all three SD's. How are the Super Deluxe sets of LZ 2 and 3 different from LZ1?

They are all the same configuration (book, cds, vinyl). The content of the books for 2 and 3 is different, relating to that point in time.

3 has the spinning wheel on the CD and vinyl sleeve, 2 has the gatefold.

I noticed that the LZ III Super Deluxe box has a picture of the LZ III cover on the front, and in that picture it shows the faces of all 4 members appearing in the holes, at the same time. The original LP was certainly not like that. I was wondering if that was just set up for the box cover photo, or whether the record wheel inside is the same? If all 4 members appear at the same time on the LP wheel, through the holes, it was altered for this release. Just curious; I'm a details guy. Anyone? My 3 boxes are due to arrive on Monday from amazon.ca. About time.

Big time. I have fallen in love with Led Zep III all over again, because of that amazing companion disc! Those songs ALL sound so amazing! Interesting as to why no other version of "Tangerine"?

Big time. I have fallen in love with Led Zep III all over again, because of that amazing companion disc! Those songs ALL sound so amazing! Interesting as to why no other version of "Tangerine"?

Glad you're loving them. LZ III is a masterpiece of transition, much like the less respected ITTOD. The Tangerine question is an interesting one. I could speculate about the fact that it was a Yardbirds carry over, with some "controversy" attached, but it's hard to say for sure. That makes the most sense to me, as it would be a wonderful decision to include a demo or alternate take. 4 days and counting. Serenity now!

The Song Remains The Same is not part of these box sets!

That one was remastered in 2007 and is pretty much complete with only Thank You missing from the final night on July 29th, which I think they only performed twice on that tour in 1973. Well, with the exception of Black Dog being complete and the gross reedit of NQ! :tomato: The other being in Los Angeles on June 3rd. I think that was the only airings of that song on the US tour.

Jimmy may have put something with Houses of the Holy though SRTS is already done.

Archived