New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I have it on a mid-1980s vinyl bootleg. I shall attempt to confirm which one and see if I have any other notes on file. Edited to add: Here's a link to the ABC Song reputedly performed by Led Zeppelin. Interestingly enough, this is not the Led Zeppelin ABC recitation recording from the mid-1980s vinyl bootleg that I am referring to. http://ledzeppelinbootlegs.bandcamp.com/track/abc-song

The actual site describes it as Robert teaching Carmen circa 1974. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Yes! That's the recording I'm referring too. Going from memory it's possibly on 1980s-era In Through The Outtakes bootleg vinyl album.

Steve and Rock Historian, yes that is it. Thank you for possibly identifying it may be JPJ.

That's interesting, thanks for the link Steve. Geez, I really can't identify that voice as any of them! I suppose if it's any of them, it's Jones...

I have never been able to identify the voice either, but Robert's is too distintive and I don't think it's him. It can't be Bonzo because of the little girl. For a while I thought it might be Jimmy and Scarlet. JPJ is the next best choice.

Was it at the beginning of In My Time of Dying? Sounds familiar...

As I am not home right now as I am away visiting family so I can't get to my CD to look, but I looked it up and see that it was. That jam is before and the ABC thing is between that and In My Time of Dying so I never was sure which it belonged to.

http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Brutal-Artistry-The-Alternate-Physical-Graffiti/release/4724710

This is the one I was thinking about...if I remember correctly, an article mentioned that it was Robert and Carmen practicing the ABCs...

It sounds like it, but I seem to remember it was longer, but has been a long while for me too since I have listened to it.

This is the one I was thinking about...if I remember correctly, an article mentioned that it was Robert and Carmen practicing the ABCs...

Off topic but I've never heard this before. F-ing incredible. Thanks for posting!

^ You bet! I love seeing the master in the making, and it brings some logic as to why the incredible In My Time of Dying ends with a cough!!

Back on topic, I hope that the PG companion includes an incredible alt version of IMTOD!

^ I think this was on that boot Tangible Vandalism? Freakin Love It!

YES!

^ You bet! I love seeing the master in the making, and it brings some logic as to why the incredible In My Time of Dying ends with a cough!!

Back on topic, I hope that the PG companion includes an incredible alt version of IMTOD!

Although I do enjoy the commercially released version of IMTOD, the studio outtake versions are gems indeed. This is Led Zeppelin in full, unfettered flight with Bonzo's drums propelling this traditional Negro spiritual forward into the 1970s rock era. The IMTOD outtakes epitomize Robert's observation expressed years later that "he (Bonzo) made whatever we did basically work...he was the Kingpin".

Money has been very tight but I managed to pick up the 2 CD edition of III. Just a fantastic package! I look forward to getting all 9 eventually and then one day all of the box sets.

Can't wait to see what Jimmy has in store for us with IV- PG

Will be interesting to see if that last six albums are released in sets of two or three. The former will be much easier on my wallet for sure!

Great insight on IMTOD Steve. Hope, one of these versions make it on to the PG companion disc!!

Although I do enjoy the commercially released version of IMTOD, the studio outtake versions are gems indeed. This is Led Zeppelin in full, unfettered flight with Bonzo's drums propelling this traditional Negro spiritual forward into the 1970s rock era. The IMTOD outtakes epitomize Robert's observation expressed years later that "he (Bonzo) made whatever we did basically work...he was the Kingpin".

I wouldn't call those "studio outtakes" -- demos/rehearsals at Headley Grange, which are nevertheless interesting...

(I think it's Robert and Carmen, personally.)

Will be interesting to see if that last six albums are released in sets of two or three. The former will be much easier on my wallet for sure!

Great insight on IMTOD Steve. Hope, one of these versions make it on to the PG companion disc!!

If the Rhino source is to be believed -- and (hopefully) for the last time, everything he reported was 100% accurate -- we'll be getting them two at a time.

I wouldn't call those "studio outtakes" -- demos/rehearsals at Headley Grange, which are nevertheless interesting...

(I think it's Robert and Carmen, personally.)

If the Rhino source is to be believed -- and (hopefully) for the last time, everything he reported was 100% accurate -- we'll be getting them two at a time.

Let's hope as that would be better for many of us here economically, who want these box treasures!

Let's hope as that would be better for many of us here economically, who want these box treasures!

If he's lying to us now, I'll hunt him down myself for getting my hopes up that I'd be able to afford them going forward! :P

If he's lying to us now, I'll hunt him down myself for getting my hopes up that I'd be able to afford them going forward! :P

Everything with the first three panned out in accuracy, so I would think all the others will too. Things can change though.

I've had a chance to evaluate the various physical media products, as I have all three super deluxe box sets; all three deluxe lp sets; and all three remastered single lps. Obviously the box sets are the most impressive in terms of contents, but to me, the super deluxe lp sets are the high water mark of these releases. The pressings are all the same, but the physical product of the tri-fold lp sets is just gorgeous, and so much nicer than those in the box sets or those available as single disc remasters. I am truly impressed by these, and they look stunning on a shelf with all my other Zeppelin pressings. The quality of the boxes is not as nice as I would have hoped.

Everything with the first three panned out in accuracy, so I would think all the others will too. Things can change though.

Things can change...hopefully there aren't any that negatively effect our wallets or hearts! :P

Of the HD offerings so far, I think "That's The Way" sounds best. What say ye?

I've been blown away by the debut and II...can't pinpoint a best sounding track, at least not yet. :P

I've had a chance to evaluate the various physical media products, as I have all three super deluxe box sets; all three deluxe lp sets; and all three remastered single lps. Obviously the box sets are the most impressive in terms of contents, but to me, the super deluxe lp sets are the high water mark of these releases. The pressings are all the same, but the physical product of the tri-fold lp sets is just gorgeous, and so much nicer than those in the box sets or those available as single disc remasters. I am truly impressed by these, and they look stunning on a shelf with all my other Zeppelin pressings. The quality of the boxes is not as nice as I would have hoped.

I have not bought any of the deluxe LPs yet, hoping for some price breaks in the future to stock up, but I am curious, are the jackets thicker (I only have the SDBS). Is II more textured like the original pressings by chance? I find when comparing II from the original Red Label Canadian release, as well as the red/green 1970s pressings the colour on the jacket is more pale or washed out on the new SDBS of II. Is the deluxe LP edition and single LP edition more glossy than the box set editions? The Classic Records circa 2000 issues seemed to have the colour pretty accurate but the matte cover looks pale to me in the SDBS and kind of a disappointment. I assume the actual LPs are identical, both the quality of the wax and the labels? The deluxe LPs come in a paper sleeve just like the SDBS? I like the rounded corners on the paper sleeves, seems most companies have caught on that square sleeves are a pain, but I really like the MFSL rice paper sleeves the best even tho' the corners are square.

Sound quality on the vinyls are top knotch as I have said before. The CDs are good but when you listen to the HD tracks they are a definite step up.

When you say the boxes are not as nice as you hoped, do you mean the outer box or the sleeves for the LPs? If its the box what would you say is the issue? I find they are pretty nice, look great on a shelf, can't wait for all 9 lined up will be a centrepiece of my media shelves.

Making room on my phone and I discovered some photos I meant to post here. The first couple are of advertisements that were up on the Whisky a Go Go club on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood.

post-1470-0-06995000-1404233883_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-48316500-1404234069_thumb.jp

Next group are from the Led Zeppelin displays at Amoeba Records in Hollywood.

post-1470-0-58237300-1404234189_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-19137900-1404234238_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-07996100-1404234305_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-87133600-1404234352_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-83254300-1404234389_thumb.jp

By the way, there are still plenty of Numbered Limited Edition Super Deluxe Box sets available at Amoeba. $129.99 each.

Assuming the rumors are right and the release of the fourth album and HOTH will be in October, I think we'll hear the announcement in the next 10 days.

But if it's a less specific "fall" release it could be a little longer wait.

Archived