New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I had high expectations too...but somehow it hasn't taken away from the fun. I realize that I'm on the younger side of fandom -- a lot of people have had twenty, thirty, or even forty years to imagine what was in the vaults...

I wouldn't be surprised if they box the remasters and/or the companion tracks together at some point -- they've certainly done so a few times in the past, after all.

Oh, and your post reminded me (vaguely) of someone else online. The comparison wasn't actually apt, though.

I have been a fan since 74/75 ish. I am happy for the people enjoying these . I didn't have lots of $ growing up and that's probably carried over. I havenever liked the word"limited" applied to music and have seen enough pix to last me a lifetime. Never was big on extra paraphernalia and never even bought a t shirt at a concert in 51 years well 40 years of concerts... Hope u are right about Coda but I feel another 30-40 minute disc of backing ttrax and slightly varied mixes Hope I am proved wrong.

For me it has been the little things on the tracks which I have picked up on most, after hearing the song over the years, I've had few "oh this is different" moments which sort of reveal the inner workings of the band, familiar but different.

Yes, true for me, as well.

I realize that I'm on the younger side of fandom -- a lot of people have had twenty, thirty, or even forty years to imagine what was in the vaults...

I've had those 40+ years to imagine what was in the vaults - and never did bother. I have always been thrilled with the music that's out there.

But here's an interesting point I think: This business of new music from vaults is a modern thing. Back in the day we didn't expect musicians/bands to let us know a thing about how the music was made or what they might have stashed away.

It is only modern technology that allows any of this to happen. When LZ first thrust themselves on the world, I was the same age they were. Maybe that's why I have never anticipated any more than what I got, and why it matters to me less that there is "new" music on the remasters. Just IMO, of course.

I've had those 40+ years to imagine what was in the vaults - and never did bother. I have always been thrilled with the music that's out there.

But here's an interesting point I think: This business of new music from vaults is a modern thing. Back in the day we didn't expect musicians/bands to let us know a thing about how the music was made or what they might have stashed away.

It is only modern technology that allows any of this to happen. When LZ first thrust themselves on the world, I was the same age they were. Maybe that's why I have never anticipated any more than what I got, and why it matters to me less that there is "new" music on the remasters. Just IMO, of course.

I'm 42 now, and by the time I was 16 I owned all the albums. At age 19, I was so hungry for more Zeppelin. In 1987, the Zepp catalog wasn't very substantial; you could hear it all in less than 9 hours. The only way to get more was bootlegs. Over time, starting with some purchases in Germany, I have accumulated a solid collection of live shows. Certainly not as extensive as some, but I have pretty much all the soundboards and I derive my greatest Zeppelin pleasure from those live shows (especially '75).

With the remasters so far, I'm enjoying the first three albums more than I have in years, probably since my teens (the HD tracks sound great in my car), and the companion material helps with the need for "more." I'd always prefer live music over outtakes, but the outtakes have been okay. I'm looking forward to "more," and at least we can do that (super deluxe, deluxe, download, whatever). At some point, there won't be more, and that will be unfortunate.

The Zeppelin output was very slim during their prime. However what little they did were master pieces.

Thanks to tons of Plant misfortune and mis management they had little chance for studio work after Physical Graffiti.

The Zeppelin output was very slim during their prime. However what little they did were master pieces.

Thanks to tons of Plant misfortune and mis management they had little chance for studio work after Physical Graffiti.

The lack of quantity is surely made up in the unsurpassed quality. I have to keep reminding myself that Houses of the Holy was all recorded in (early) 1972, well before its release in '73, and parts of PG were done early as well, so after '75 there wasn't much at all. Those first five albums, all done by 1972. Staggering.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the new releases, although I will say that they are very safe, and conservative, having followed the lead of all the other bands that have released DE's over the years. I think it is important to remember that these are DE's, and not "new" stand alone releases. By their very nature, they were only really intended to satisfy a curiosity as to how Zeppelin's songs and albums were created. I suppose there is some level of disappointment for me when I reflect on Jimmy's comment that he was including material that would "knock their [bootleggers] pants off". I don't really think that he has overwhelmingly achieved that goal. I think its great to have this stuff, and I will always cherish it, but the term DE implies that the material was not going to be anything mind blowing. DE's are generally intended to provide insight into how songs and albums were worked out, and offer something new to the highly committed followers. My advice is to keep expectations low, and appreciate these discs for what they are: treats for the super fans. So far, the LZ III DE is my favorite. I do believe that the vaults are pretty much empty, as there really is no reason for Jimmy to hold back, given his age and the improbability that he will have another opportunity to put out more material at a later date. It would be quite fitting, however, if he saved the best for last, and created a Coda companion disc of ALL new material, such as Fire and others. That still remains within the realm of possibility, and Coda would be a very suitable vehicle for such an approach, since it is already a compilation album. I have said from the outset that I think Coda will be the one to watch, and Jimmy's approach on the first five supports that either the well is dry, or that there is a surprise in store for us at the end of this DE journey.

...You see, the problem with everything you've said there -- and with a lot of people's comments in general -- is that you're assuming they even HAVE the tracks you got your hopes up for.

I've seen worse, though: Even when they came out and said that the early band rehearsals weren't recorded -- or, that there at least weren't any surviving recordings from that period -- people still clamour for them to release them...

I wouldn't say it was mismanagement that kept them out of the studio, but primarily the extreme situations (Plant's near-death in 1975, and Karac's passing in 1977) that delayed the desire for further studio work.

And anyway...comments like that seem to discount the amazing work that was done with Presence, as well as In Through the Out Door.

It is thrilling and depressing, in fairly equal parts, to read all the various reactions and responses to these long-awaited reissues.

For me and many others, the remasters are amazing, truly stunning and easily on a par with - if not better than - the Classic Records vinyls. The bonus "companion" tracks are great to hear, and all the extra Super Deluxe goodies are totally cool. I can't judge these reissues fully until they have all been released.

However, I'll bet I am not the only who feels a little disappointed that they have not released cleaner versions of bonus tracks that are already out there on bootlegs. Apart from tracks like Jennings Farm Blues, it seems a shame not to have some key demos or alternate versions that we already have access to, albeit in hissy, generally lo-fi versions. One day, no doubt, we will hear them in superior quality. Knowing the speed of "Zeppelin time", our descendants probably will.

Given the times we live in, it seems ungracious to get over-emotional or too disappointed about any of this. Meanwhile, enjoy the tunes and be grateful for them, folks.

My strong emotions pretty much died regarding Zep when John Bonham died. When I see things like box sets over 100 dollars or autobiographies in pictures in limited editions of hundreds of dollars it is a mild feeling of shame. I had no feeling really watching Celebration Day than that it was good for a one off and now they can go their own way again. The past is the past. One can still enjoy the cd"s for years to come but we have heard the best from them years ago. LaLa or an alternate take of WLL doesn't bring back the old enthusiasm ....just the record label trying to squeeze people like other bands do for all they can get...more interested in what JPJ and Robert do in their later years...

I am one that is in the camp of "What is the problem????"

The music is still fantastic, the work that Jimmy put into it, based on the first three releases, is incredible.

Happy with what you already have?

Wonderful!

Love and appreciate the music.

No price can be placed on it anyway

The problem is they put a price of 1,000 dollars plus for all the boxes and Page put a price tag of hundreds of dollars on a book. It may be capitalism at work but LZ never gouged the fans in the past like this but if someone puts 1,000$ worth of priority into music it is their right but leaving whole pro shot concerts unreleased while charging for backing tracks and 25 minute long cd's "companion discs" seems illogical.

Not to anybody in particular, but you can buy as much or as little as you like...that's the best part about how these are being released. Any possible combination of media, as much or as little as you like. Similar box sets are priced very close to what these are, and the prices will most definitely come down before the release date. I've already found them at a few places for under $110 shipped. I managed to get the first three boxes for under $90.

Being unhappy about the content is one thing, but to complain about being "forced" to buy all ten....that's just the obsessive completest in you.

Not to anybody in particular, but you can buy as much or as little as you like...

Being unhappy about the content is one thing, but to complain about being "forced" to buy all ten....that's just the obsessive completest in you.

What Glyn said.

Not to anybody in particular, but you can buy as much or as little as you like...that's the best part about how these are being released. Any possible combination of media, as much or as little as you like. Similar box sets are priced very close to what these are, and the prices will most definitely come down before the release date. I've already found them at a few places for under $110 shipped. I managed to get the first three boxes for under $90.

No I would not buy vinyl under any circumstance all I have is car computer and iPod... It has nothing to do with completion just lamenting that others who are completists may not have that kind of money to spend on frivolous entertainment things If I won the lottery I would not pay more than 15 dollars for a piece of music. I just think in bad financial times the whole thing reeks of Warner marketing and corporate greed... Not mad or obsessive just I think it is a little sad. Apparently there are people here with record players but I have not seen one in almost 30 years

Vintage stereo/electronics is one of my hobbies so I do have a record player and a collection of lps. It's actually a pretty fun hobby, although it can be expensive. I can totally understand not having a use for the vinyl, but if you want the books...the only way to get them is with the SD boxes. I can see your point on how people might be spending more for things they wont use, or that they can't really afford...but that's the game. I'd rather spend a little extra and get everything in one package and get the book...but I have a use for every format.

:you_rock: . Want to enlighten us?

Sure! I bought them two days before they came out at importcds for $90 each. Received them two or three days after they came out and they were numbered.

No I would not buy vinyl under any circumstance all I have is car computer and iPod... It has nothing to do with completion just lamenting that others who are completists may not have that kind of money to spend on frivolous entertainment things If I won the lottery I would not pay more than 15 dollars for a piece of music. I just think in bad financial times the whole thing reeks of Warner marketing and corporate greed... Not mad or obsessive just I think it is a little sad. Apparently there are people here with record players but I have not seen one in almost 30 years

I'm assuming then that you're not aware of the really quite huge comeback that vinyl has made in the last ten years or so. And as others have said you don't have to buy it, they've made so you can buy as much or as little as you want. I think you're being a little bit cynical about the whole corporate greed thing, the Super Deluxe Box sets are really well made and the books are great with loads of photos and period articles. Judging by the print, paper quality and finishing I very much doubt that they were cheap to make and a lot of people are happy to pay for them and take great pleasure from them. I don't think that's sad. Why buy a nice table when you can use an old door and some empty boxes?

Did anyone else ever get their Auto Rip companion disc added to their Amazon Cloud player for Led Zeppelin III? I seem to remember a few posters having the same issue when the first three were released & Amazon saying they would fix it but mine has never been amended.

I did get the whole box set for the recent CSN&Y 1974 live stuff when I'd only bought the single CD though so you win some, you lose some...

I'm assuming then that you're not aware of the really quite huge comeback that vinyl has made in the last ten years or so. And as others have said you don't have to buy it, they've made so you can buy as much or as little as you want. I think you're being a little bit cynical about the whole corporate greed thing, the Super Deluxe Box sets are really well made and the books are great with loads of photos and period articles. Judging by the print, paper quality and finishing I very much doubt that they were cheap to make and a lot of people are happy to pay for them and take great pleasure from them. I don't think that's sad. Why buy a nice table when you can use an old door and some empty boxes?

True. The books are such good quality in every aspect. I didn't have a working turntable when I purchased the SDBS, but thought of the whole set as a can't miss opportunity - and I'm not a completest, as others have deemed themselves to be. Two weeks later, my wife and son bought me a small turntable system, that records them onto cd as well, for Father's Day. Now I can finally record all of vinyl boots I have had since the 80's onto disc! The vinyl does sound unbelievable through headphones!!!

:)

Ok i respect your opinions and don't mean to be cynical because this is probably the final release of these. I know vinyl has made somewhat of a comeback it is just my personality to not pay more than 15-20 dollars for music but I have been a fan for almost 40 years and have my own opinion about the companion discs that I stick to but realize I can just buy remastered single originals on cd and it is all good. Will many of you really look at the books many times over? I know so many people that collect limited edition things and they remain on a shelf for years. I don't like the Beatles but I just look at the mono cd, the stereo cd, the us albums , the Japanese albums and then vinyl versionS of most of the above ... Greed ... It's all up to the individual. Paying 90-130 dollars is not a place I'd spend money when I could buy my wife something nice instead... Just depends on personal preferences. I wish everyone a great experience whatever format they buy. No cynicism but just an opinion that the companion discs have a couple gems but to me are weak except for Since I've been Loving You and IF Sth is just another mix of same version we all have, I am really disappointed in 4's release. People enjoy the heck out of these! It is the greatest band in the world... Most here will agree on that. Many people just don't have 1000 dollars of disposable income and for me this is probably the result of caring for sick relatives and just never being able to afford that new "table" metaphorically. I picked my profession and it is not a high paying one .. That was my own choice. Also very little makes me emotional so I probably don,t get the same buzz as others from media- music, movies etc Til I got married I went 5 years without a tv.

However, I'll bet I am not the only who feels a little disappointed that they have not released cleaner versions of bonus tracks that are already out there on bootlegs. Apart from tracks like Jennings Farm Blues, it seems a shame not to have some key demos or alternate versions that we already have access to, albeit in hissy, generally lo-fi versions. One day, no doubt, we will hear them in superior quality. Knowing the speed of "Zeppelin time", our descendants probably will.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Blame the thieves who stole those tapes, many of which likely no longer exist among the tape collections of Page (et al.).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Blame the thieves who stole those tapes, many of which likely no longer exist among the tape collections of Page (et al.).

However if the rumours are true he does have "Lost In Space" and "St Tristan's Sword" that were supposedly recorded around the fourth album sessions. I'd like to hear those over a rejected mix of STH that Jimmy thought Andy Johns should've been strung up for. That's if they actually exist. Having said that I've actually been pleased with the companion discs, as far as I'm aware he's given us fresh material that's not widely available on bootleg. It's not hard to find Sugar Mama, Fixin to die, swan song etc but how many of you had heard La La before?

On my way to sell 2 cd versions I am gonna stick to the very satisfying single remaster of originals Icant help feel therer other things left unreleased but who knows. I have never heard thosementionedsongs as bootlegsareillegal. My wife does some acting and being parton Sag/aFTRa gives her some strong feelings about pirating. We actually had a shop busted for selling boots locally(of films)

Archived