New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

That's pretty cool Wife has to watch stuff for acting coach so we broke down and got one Next on my list is no more iPhone when contract is over OT i knowI can watch the LZ dvd's so there's some benefits to TV but my set is low end

There's a reason why RP and JPJ have distanced themselves from the reissues. I believe that they want to move away from the past and knew that any companion disks would she'd no new light on what Zeppelin were about back in their hey day.

And truthfully the unreleased song bits don't give us any more clues to the Zeppelin myth than we already know.

La La and the Bathroom Song are not stuff of legend.

There's a reason why RP and JPJ have distanced themselves from the reissues. I believe that they want to move away from the past and knew that any companion disks would she'd no new light on what Zeppelin were about back in their hey day.

And truthfully the unreleased song bits don't give us any more clues to the Zeppelin myth than we already know.

Complete agreement

In my opinion many people are missing the point of the companion discs. I think they were intended to provide grace notes to the remastered original albums and as such are more like musical bits of curiosity, of historical interest and just more Led Zeppelin. Some are clearly examples of working out problems, some show how the boys developed musical ideas that got tossed out, but all of it provides me with additional insight into the artistic thinking of Jimmy Page, which is extraordinarily valuable.

I think La La and the Bathroom Song are great fun.

Plus we are only 2 discs in, as far as the companion studio discs go. To each his own. I like II's comp disc, but I LOVE III's companion disc. Love the different takes, it sounds like a completely different album to me.

Well the great thing is we have the option of getting remastered cd's with or without them. Personally i traded my double cd for singles and am done with companion discs but great for those who want them They can have both. Everyone wins

Plus we are only 2 discs in, as far as the companion studio discs go. To each his own. I like II's comp disc, but I LOVE III's companion disc. Love the different takes, it sounds like a completely different album to me.

3 was great, how can you not love 'Keys to the Highway?' Plus the companion version of 'That's the Way' is better than the album version, imo. Better guitar tone, overall sound, and tempo.

People have this complex about the companion audio. It's like each track is supposed to be this earth shattering masterpiece of amazing quality, otherwise it's a waste of plastic. They are missing the point of the companion audio. Similarly, the people who complain about the box sets as a cash grab (and a waste of time and plastic due to bonus content choices) are missing the point of these releases. The point is to refresh the mastering in all formats with the advances in modern technology.

Most of these alternate mixes really showcase what effect producing had on the music, and gives a clearer idea of how Zep actually sounded in the studio vs. on the album.

It's eyeopening to hear what they actually played without a lot of effects, overdubs, and stereo panning. It makes me appreciate the work that Page (and others) put into the final mixes, but at the same time gives us a cool look into "the making of."

My ears are not good enough to hear these thing That's the Way sounded the same to me

Do you have them on your computer? I'm telling you guys, listen to them back to back, even just the first few bars. The companion versions guitar tone sounds much richer and fuller, the album version sounds very 'thin' in comparison.

People have this complex about the companion audio. It's like each track is supposed to be this earth shattering masterpiece of amazing quality, otherwise it's a waste of plastic. They are missing the point of the companion audio. Similarly, the people who complain about the box sets as a cash grab (and a waste of time and plastic due to bonus content choices) are missing the point of these releases. The point is to refresh the mastering in all formats with the advances in modern technology.

Most of these alternate mixes really showcase what effect producing had on the music, and gives a clearer idea of how Zep actually sounded in the studio vs. on the album.

It's eyeopening to hear what they actually played without a lot of effects, overdubs, and stereo panning. It makes me appreciate the work that Page (and others) put into the final mixes, but at the same time gives us a cool look into "the making of."

:goodpost: Well said Cornholio. I will give you TP for your bunghole. B)

I love how you put that, Glyn. I look at the companion discs as a "making of" disc, not like how others are looking at it. I Because I look at it that way, I can appreciate it more than someone who looks at the companion disc as something totally different and new. I love the behind the scenes stuff whether its music, or movies, or whatever- and it's great to hear how these songs were built up. Then there's that special surprise of a unreleased song or completely different take of a song that pops up on the discs, which makes them even better.

My ears are not good enough to hear these thing That's the Way sounded the same to me

"That's the Way" runs at a higher pitch on the companion disc. Some people instantly hear that, others cant or just don't notice it. One of other big differences is the added mandolin and dulcimer.

I can hear that the mix is different, but those are the two things I can clearly point out. Otherwise just really listen to the instruments, the echo on Plant's vocals, everything sounds much clearer/more pronounced.

Archived