New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Personally I was kind of disappointed with the extras on LZ I, II, & III which were released this summer. I feel it was a missed opportunity. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun listen, and there was some great stuff on their, but mostly just alternate takes with vocals removed. Classic Rock Magazine had this whole list of things which might be on it when they were annouced back in 2013 (St. Tristan's Sword, etc). Couldn't find it here in this long post, but what would everyone's ideal extra's for the boxsets that could have beeb? Here's mine:

LZ I: Remastered album+, Paris Show is good, but the sound quality is a bit distant. I would have gone with TEXAS POP FESTIVAL 1969, the band was on fire this day. Perhaps Milwaukee 1969

LZ II: Remastered album+, I would have put in ROYAL ALBERT HALL 1970, I know it was released on the DVD back in early 2000's but how about an audio CD version, how about a cleaned up Bath Festival full concert, or Memphis 1970

LZ III: Remastered album+, I would have put in snipets from various versions of the songs from their playing in 1970 and 1971. The rare live version of Gallows Pole from Denmark, Out on the Tiles from Blueberry Hill, SIBLY from Switerland or Osaka 1971, Celebration Day from Orlando 1971, Weekend from 1971 LA Forum,

LZ IV: Remastered album+ , Full Sunset Sound mix of the album, Full Orlando 1971, Virginia or Berkeley 1971 concerts,

LZ Houses of the Holy Remastered Album + 1973 New Orleans full concert, or Rhode Island Full concert, or for that matter Southampton 1973.

LZ Physical Graffiti Remastered Album + Alternate take of In the Light, + Live in Earl's Court 1975 4th and 5th nights (film and CD versions)+ LA Forum 1975

LZ Presense Remastered + Badgeholders LA Forum 1977, + Cleveland 1977 + Listen to this Eddie 1977 full concert + Full Seattle Concert 1977 (film and CD versions) I realize JP hates this concert...

LZ In Through the Out Door Remastered + Knebworth both nights 1979 (film & DVD versions) + Copenhagen both nights

LZ Coda Remastered + Live at Berlin 1980, Live at Frankfurt 1980 + Tribute to Johnny Kid full album

Just my two cents, and I realize some of my sources aren't ideal but then it's more about hearing the band on fire then hearing a perfect audio recording. Also, I realized some of these versions would probably cost $200 but then can you seriously tell me you wouldn't rather have live concerts with notes from the band, then another booklet of ticket stub reprints and photos?

I thought Texas Pop would've been a better addition too, I guess they figured most of us had heard it already? Or that it couldn't really be improved that much? Definitely one of their best shows.

Just my two cents, and I realize some of my sources aren't ideal but then it's more about hearing the band on fire then hearing a perfect audio recording. Also, I realized some of these versions would probably cost $200 but then can you seriously tell me you wouldn't rather have live concerts with notes from the band, then another booklet of ticket stub reprints and photos?

I would rather have unreleased studio outtakes, which is what we're getting. We'll get live releases eventually.

If any Zeppelin fan has a mind to they can find hours of rehearsals which in my opinion are necessary listening because they provide another side of the band. Getting a couple tracks doesn't really provide the same view. When you listen to the Zep III rehearsals you cant help but feel that you are there. The intimacy and outpouring of acoustic genius is awesome. but its the little things you hear between the takes, the comments to each other.

The "can we stop", why's that "cause I have an idea" moments put you in the mind and process. Other details like a child laughing or the dog barking put you in the room. There are plenty of comments to be heard and that's something you don't get with these releases. Its to bad the sound quality isn't there for an official release.

If any Zeppelin fan has a mind to they can find hours of rehearsals which in my opinion are necessary listening because they provide another side of the band. Getting a couple tracks doesn't really provide the same view. When you listen to the Zep III rehearsals you cant help but feel that you are there. The intimacy and outpouring of acoustic genius is awesome. but its the little things you hear between the takes, the comments to each other.

The "can we stop", why's that "cause I have an idea" moments put you in the mind and process. Other details like a child laughing or the dog barking put you in the room. There are plenty of comments to be heard and that's something you don't get with these releases. Its to bad the sound quality isn't there for an official release.

The demos you're talking about are amazingly informative, but we have to remember something: They were stolen from Jimmy's house thirty years ago. It's highly likely that the only copies he now possesses are the bootlegs that have been unscrupulously released throughout that time, which, if true, is incredibly sad.

These alternate tracks are equally informative into the compositional and recording process, if you listen very hard. ;)

You don't have to listen that hard. :P

And I'd take anything over a re-release of RAH, or a horrible recording (release quality wise) of Bath. I mean, most of us have that stuff already anyways, at least with these releases we are getting new stuff.

You don't have to listen that hard. :P

And I'd take anything over a re-release of RAH, or a horrible recording (release quality wise) of Bath. I mean, most of us have that stuff already anyways, at least with these releases we are getting new stuff.

It was a "Stairway" reference. :P

I'll take a re-release of RAH, if it has as complete a recording as possible. ;) Ditto with Bath, if there is a SBD or a multi-track out there...

I'll take a re-release of RAH, if it has as complete a recording as possible.

If you wanted as complete an audio recording as possible of RAH you could do the following:

Use DVD Audio Extractor or similar to digitally and losslessly extract the audio of the RAH concert from the official DVD. If you care about these things you would then need to use something like Audacity to add a fade-in for the first track (WGG) and a fade-out for the last track (BIOH).

Then you would need to do some more work to obtain the 'bonus' tracks. Go back to the DVD with your audio extractor software to collect the audio tracks from the menu items of DVD 1 that include material from RAH. That means you need to collect the approximately first two minutes of Heartbreaker, and the two parts of Thank You (intro and outro). With the latter song, a nice touch would be to go back to Audacity to join the intro and outro as a single track.

But we're not done yet - if you were doing this you'd probably also want to source the remainder of the multitrack RAH recordings that are 'out there'. You would need to find three and a half minutes of 'Long Tall Sally', plus the edited out sections of HMMT, which yields a 'band introductions' segment of just over a minute, plus a little under two minutes of 'That's Alright (Mama)' from the medley section.

Thus you end up with the complete-as-possible multitrack soundtrack for RAH, which would possibly look a little bit like this (including the 'bonus' tracks):

We're Gonna Groove 03:14 I Can't Quit You Baby 06:56 Dazed And Confused 15:34 White Summer 12:22 What Is And What Should Never Be 04:40 How Many More Times 20:18 Moby Dick 15:22 Whole Lotta Love 06:25 Communication Breakdown 04:16 C'mon Everybody 02:32 Something Else 02:11 Bring It On Home 07:43 Heartbreaker [excerpt] 01:57 Thank You [excerpts] 01:05 Long Tall Sally 03:30 [excerpt - band introductions] 01:07 That's Alright (Mama) 01:47

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say it but I totally agree with Roberts comments in this interview regarding the "bonus" material on the Zeppelin remastered issues. With the exception of a couple of tracks the bonus discs are mostly filler for the most desperate of Zeppelin fans.

But once again I'm sure Robert will get hammered for his honesty regarding these latest Zeppelin releases.

Well those comments of Robert's are hardly surprising, and it confirms to me what I said in another thread about relations between the former band-mates being at a deep low point right now.

As for Robert's comments about the "bonus tracks", I completely agree with him on that. They're cutting-room floor stuff, and in my opinion, will get heard one time by all but the most extreme fan.

Although Robert should learn to control his flapping gums once in a while, I have to agree with his comment. Of the first three albums, the companion disc for LZ III is the only one that I have listened to more than once. I can't see listening to the first two album's companion discs again. I'm a little disappointed by what appear to be cut and paste songs, that were "created" for these releases; an example being La La. It's a great tune, but it certainly appears to have been "manufactured" for the occasion.

If any Zeppelin fan has a mind to they can find hours of rehearsals...

Any one source recommended? Or is it a matter of hunting all over the place. One thing I've come up against is music that is labeled as LZ from odd sources, that don't always sound like LZ and may not be - or may be a band that works very, very hard to sound like LZ. Without the odd comment with a recognizable voice, how can you tell for sure unless there's a trusted label or source?

Hate to say it but I totally agree with Roberts comments in this interview regarding the "bonus" material on the Zeppelin remastered issues. With the exception of a couple of tracks the bonus discs are mostly filler for the most desperate of Zeppelin fans.

But once again I'm sure Robert will get hammered for his honesty regarding these latest Zeppelin releases.

Just because I like listening to a variety of LZ music doesn't make me a desperate fan. It makes me a person who takes pleasure in alternate takes and musical variety.

Any one source recommended? Or is it a matter of hunting all over the place. One thing I've come up against is music that is labeled as LZ from odd sources, that don't always sound like LZ and may not be - or may be a band that works very, very hard to sound like LZ. Without the odd comment with a recognizable voice, how can you tell for sure unless there's a trusted label or source?

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/led-zeppelin/led-zeppelin-studio-magik-sessions-1968-1980-the-godfather-box-g-r-box-18/

Mr. Plant's comments are probably further than I'd go. I'm not generally a fan of outtakes, but I have found modest pleasure from the companion audio.

But what I wonder is: what WOULD be relevant to Percy? What would he want instead of what we got?

As for Robert's comments about the "bonus tracks", I completely agree with him on that. They're cutting-room floor stuff, and in my opinion, will get heard one time by all but the most extreme fan.

I'm not one of those who believes everything Robert Plant says is God's Word To My Ear and I don't believe everything that RP says any more than I believe what JP says. They're musicians, not orators. The music is what really speaks for them.

Robert Plant's music these days is such that I'd rather listen to the cutting-room floor stuff of the companion discs. And so what? Musicians make the music that calls to them and not everyone will like the results.

But what I wonder is: what WOULD be relevant to Percy? What would he want instead of what we got?

At this point I don't think there IS a relevant, as far as he's concerned. LZ are the past, his past, and whilst I'm sure he's pleased on some level that the music they made was timeless and continues to fill his coffers, he knows he can't go back there and the weight of expectation is too onerous to even consider something new with that group of people. Also the price that was paid for those 10 albums was very high, personally & emotionally - he doesn't seem to mind the odd reminiscence, but to dwell there may be too painful. So as to 'what would he want instead of what we've got?'..... I think a big part of him wishes it would all go away.

At this point I don't think there IS a relevant, as far as he's concerned. LZ are the past, his past, and whilst I'm sure he's pleased on some level that the music they made was timeless and continues to fill his coffers, he knows he can't go back there and the weight of expectation is too onerous to even consider something new with that group of people. Also the price that was paid for those 10 albums was very high, personally & emotionally - he doesn't seem to mind the odd reminiscence, but to dwell there may be too painful. So as to 'what would he want instead of what we've got?'..... I think a big part of him wishes it would all go away.

Eloquently stated, and probably very near the mark. Thanks.

He said they weren't relevant 'to him'.

He's simply stating his opinion on some outtakes he sang on 40 odd years ago, which he's more than entitled to do, just as everyone on here is entitled to their opinion on them.

His take on it is hardly surprising given he's clearly moved on and has just made a very good album.

Archived