New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Pitchfork is not a French website, Melcore. It is an American website and therefore should be available to most of you in the North American continent...and in other parts of the world. You can listen to "Rain Song" here:

http://pitchfork.com/news/56883-led-zeppelin-share-alternate-mix-of-the-rain-song/

Frankly, it sounds like the version on "Houses of the Holy" and it definitely has piano, so either Jimmy Page supplied the wrong link to the media or there isn't much left in the vaults for the "Houses of the Holy" sessions.

Pitchfork is not a French website, Melcore. It is an American website and therefore should be available to most of you in the North American continent...and in other parts of the world. You can listen to "Rain Song" here:

http://pitchfork.com/news/56883-led-zeppelin-share-alternate-mix-of-the-rain-song/

Frankly, it sounds like the version on "Houses of the Holy" and it definitely has piano, so either Jimmy Page supplied the wrong link to the media or there isn't much left in the vaults for the "Houses of the Holy" sessions.

I can access the "page" but not the video.

Reggie, if you are using chrome or firefox (if you aren't I highly reccomend you do!) you can get an extension called hola unblocker that puts your internet connection through a proxy server and will trick the site into thinking that youre located in the US or whatever.

But as Strider said, it sounds awfully similar to the version that has been out there since 1973.

I just listened to it this a.m. Hearing a more subdued vocal, piano accents but no piano noodling, a less dramatic take, in a good way. With the guitar and strings, it's reminding me of the guitar and synth versions on the 80 tour, on some level. There's more space, you can hear pages work and construction of the song better....for my 2cents.

It is available from iTunes as of this morning.

First thing that should hit you as different are the double tracked vocals, one center - the other hard right. As the track progresses you will hear that each instrument is clearly defined and separated. In the final mix it's a much more cohesive blend. Things stand out in this mix, you hear little details that were impossible/very difficult to hear before. Next thing - JPJ's stand up bass is so much clearer, it's not hidden under mellotron. There's quite a bit of detail and fret noise. Bonzo is loud and upfront in this mix - there is an amazing clarity to his drums, they sound so powerful. Finally, there's a bit of piano towards the end that is panned hard right, that ends up buried in the final mix.

Sure, there's nothing "new"....but I mean, from the original description we were to expect the song without piano. We got much, much more than that.

There's an interview with Page in the Mojo and he says that the reissue of PG will coincide with the 40th anniversary. He also claims there are more unheard tracks like La la to come...

I mooted the 40th anniversary angle here on June 16th. So if that means actually Feb 24th, we should see the announcement around Thanksgiving (Nov. 27th) I should think. And we have plenty to be thankful for.

We're expecting PG and Presence together, yes? That's a two-fer I can go for.

American website does not mean it's playable in Canada, unfortunately. It was blocked along with everything else.

Frankly...if you guys can't (or won't) hear the differences between these two mixes, you might need some new speakers (at the very least). If you're expecting vastly different takes or arrangements of songs...don't? But that doesn't mean what we're getting is without value.

There's an interview with Page in the Mojo and he says that the reissue of PG will coincide with the 40th anniversary. He also claims there are more unheard tracks like La la to come...

Just saw Cook's tweet over @LedZepNews. Good to see it's official -- saving up now!

The tracklisting looks uninteresting, I've heard two teasers and they sound no different from the album versions. So far not so good. I pre-ordered the single disc remasters for now. I'll wait until all samples are released and by the great sounding ones from itunes.

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/led-zeppelin-iv-houses-of-the-holy-olympic-studios-playback-event-report-plus-exclusive-tbl-companion-disc-preview/

sorry sports fans, looks like it's pretty much just alternate mixes. No different guitar solo for stairway apparently......no quarter is an instrumental of the album version with different pieces missing, but not a change to the original tempo or anything like that.

take some risks with the companion disks jimmy, it'd be nice.

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/led-zeppelin-iv-houses-of-the-holy-olympic-studios-playback-event-report-plus-exclusive-tbl-companion-disc-preview/

sorry sports fans, looks like it's pretty much just alternate mixes. No different guitar solo for stairway apparently......no quarter is an instrumental of the album version with different pieces missing, but not a change to the original tempo or anything like that.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Really looking forward to hearing some of them.

The tracklisting looks uninteresting, I've heard two teasers and they sound no different from the album versions. So far not so good. I pre-ordered the single disc remasters for now. I'll wait until all samples are released and by the great sounding ones from itunes.

To each their own, but they sound markedly different from the album versions if you take the time to listen to them. Judging entire albums on less than a handful of tracks seems disingenuous, too.

Don't make assumptions about what he has, and you won't be disappointed.

Anyhow...Lewis' write-ups are never the most detailed, so why not wait until you can hear the tracks before you start slamming them yourself?

This time I'm just gonna sit it out and wait to get my box sets. I will judge then.

Even if it's just alternate takes on the companion audio or with some bits missing and added that's cool by me.

Even the most subtle differences in Zepp mixes are amazing to me.

Plus, and not least we are getting the originals remastered.

I can't wait to hear songs like 'No Quarter' as an instrumental of the album version with different pieces missing!

So until these niice boxes are delivered to me, I won't be listening to anything of these new releases.

No doubt my patience will be tested. :)

Regardless, does anyone have a link to the Mojo interview where Jimmy talks about PG ?

When asked "Was PG held back from this new batch to be released on it's 40th anniversary next February"....Jimbo replies "Maybe ! Well spotted".....That's it, nothing else was said about PG.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29550639

I could listen to this master craftsman/musician/producer/legend like this all day. Incredible to hear. If only the 3 guys would do a "Classic Albums" style doco or series. The insights and stories behind those epic albums - wow. Or better yet - someone BEG Cameron Crowe to convince the guys to do a movie length doco on the music. A bit off topic for this thread, but can't help myself. :P

Archived