New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Finally got to the new companion audio for both. There probably isn't anyone buying these sets primarily for those tracks...but if there is, I imagine they'll be disappointed. Some winners (Levee, Rain Song, NQ), but largely too close to what we already had, at least for my ears.

But the HD tracks are phenomenal.

I assume Physical Graffiti will have a 2 disc companion disc, there are 15 tracks on it so 15 songs for alternate/rough takes..? I think the reason why The Lemon Song and Bring It On Home weren't on LZII companion disc was simply that they were somewhat covers, which Page didn't want to make any problems for themselves, then D'yer Mak'er probably just wasn't good enough for Page to find a rough take lol. Anyway I wouldn't see why Page wouldn't have enough tracks to make a 2nd companion disc for PG. I wish Page would have thought to maybe add more than 1 track for some songs, he should've had 2 alternate takes of Stairway To Heaven and some others.

I think PG will be released by itself then Presence and ITTOD will be released together then who knows about Coda.. It will either be a disappointment released with Presence and ITTOD or it will be amazing and a standalone release with some cool stuff on it or Page might just say screw it and not release it, or has he stated that he's going to do it already? It seems like he said he was doing all 9 studio albums. No matter what the next 3-4 releases are going to be exciting!!

Finally got to the new companion audio for both. There probably isn't anyone buying these sets primarily for those tracks...but if there is, I imagine they'll be disappointed. Some winners (Levee, Rain Song, NQ), but largely too close to what we already had, at least for my ears.

But the HD tracks are phenomenal.

I'm someone who bought these sets for the companion discs, without them I'm not sure if I would have done so, most definitely would not be buying ITTOD or Coda again. As for the material on the companion discs it's not what I anticipated but I'm fairly happy with what we got.

With all the new instrumental versions that are coming out on the official re-issues, you can start to build quite a compelling LZ instrumental "album" playlist (no offence Robert). Hopefully this will start to find its way into elevators and hotel lobbies everywhere:

1) Thank You (Backing Track)

2) Living Loving Maid (Backing Track)

3) Moby Dick (Backing Track)

4) La La

5) White Summer/Black Mountainside (BBC Sessions outtake/Boxed Set)

6) Friends (No Vocal)

7) Bathroom Sound

8) Jennings Farm Blues

9) Battle Of Evermore (Guitar/Mandolin Mix)

10) Going To California (Guitar/Mandolin Mix)

11) The Song Remains The Same (Guitar Overdub Reference Mix)

12) Over The Hills And Far Away (Guitar Mix Backing Track)

13) No Quarter (Rough Mix)

14) Bron-Yr-Aur (Physical Graffiti version)

15) Bonzo's Montreux (Coda version)

There may be more to come - who knows?

With all the new instrumental versions that are coming out on the official re-issues, you can start to build quite a compelling LZ instrumental "album" playlist (no offence Robert). Hopefully this will start to find its way into elevators and hotel lobbies everywhere:

1) Thank You (Backing Track)

2) Living Loving Maid (Backing Track)

3) Moby Dick (Backing Track)

4) La La

5) White Summer/Black Mountainside (BBC Sessions outtake/Boxed Set)

6) Friends (No Vocal)

7) Bathroom Sound

8) Jennings Farm Blues

9) Battle Of Evermore (Guitar/Mandolin Mix)

10) Going To California (Guitar/Mandolin Mix)

11) The Song Remains The Same (Guitar Overdub Reference Mix)

12) Over The Hills And Far Away (Guitar Mix Backing Track)

13) No Quarter (Rough Mix)

14) Bron-Yr-Aur (Physical Graffiti version)

15) Bonzo's Montreux (Coda version)

There may be more to come - who knows?

no love for Bron Yr Aur or acoustic Black Mountain Side? I'd put them both before Bonzo's Montreaux.

edit: just seen Bron!

That's why I think this is a signature from whoever cut the master disc from which these albums have been pressed...sort of like leaving a calling card. It could be the John Davis that worked on the mastering or it could be a guy at the record plant who also just happens to have the name John D.

On my HOTH it's not John D, but just JD

I don't know about you all, but I am expecting nothing less than a Mount Everest size box for Physical Graffiti! Four slabs of vinyl (2 each for the original album and the companion tracks) and at least 3 CDs total to cover the album and companion tracks.

We will be paying a Mount Everest price for it, too!

Hah - I thought I was the only one who had a playlist of favorite instrumentals.

My list is not all from the remasters. I also have duplicates because I like listening to various versions if they're of decent quality or have some special musical interest for me, and I also have post-Zeppelin pieces of Jimmy Page's (my list is mostly JP focused). My instrumental list currently has 33 entries.

I would absolutely hate hearing any of these in public. I actually hate hearing any LZ music anywhere that it's supposed to be "background". I stop what I'm doing and come to attention when I hear Led Zeppelin! No talking allowed, either!

Bathroom Sound Led Zeppelin III: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] [2014 Remaster]
The Battle Of Evermore (Mandolin / Guitar Mix From Headley Grange) Led Zeppelin IV: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] [2014 Remaster]
Black Mountain Side Double Shot [Disc 2] [1977/05/25 Landover]
Black Mountain Side Double Shot [Disc 5] [1977/05/30 Landover]
Black Mountain Side Led Zeppelin I
Black Mountain Side Led Zeppelin I [Disc 1] [2014 Remaster]
Bonzo's Montreux Coda
Emerald Eyes Outrider 1988
Emerald Eyes For Zeppelin Lovers Only 1988 MSG
Friends Led Zeppelin III: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] Companion Audio
Going To California (Mandolin / Guitar Mix) Led Zeppelin IV: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] [2014 Remaster]
Jennings Farm Blues (Rough Mix) Led Zeppelin III: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2]
JenningsFarm
La La (Intro/Outro Rough Mix) Led Zeppelin II: (Remaster 2014 Deluxe Edition) [Disc 2]
Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman) (Backing Track) Led Zeppelin II: (Remaster 2014 Deluxe Edition) [Disc 2]
Moby Dick (Backing Track) Led Zeppelin II: (Remaster 2014 Deluxe Edition) [Disc 2]
No Quarter (Rough Mix With JPJ Keyboard Overdubs - No Vocal) Houses Of The Holy: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] [2014 Remaster]
Over The Hills And Far Away (Guitar Mix Backing Track) Houses Of The Holy: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] [2014 Remaster]
Prelude Chopin For Zeppelin Lovers Only 1988 MSG
The Song Remains The Same (Guitar Overdub Reference Mix) Houses Of The Holy: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] [2014 Remaster]
Stairway to Heaven For Zeppelin Lovers Only 1988 MSG
Summers Day
Thank You (Backing Track) Led Zeppelin II: (Remaster 2014 Deluxe Edition) [Disc 2]
When The Levee Breaks (Alternate U.K. Mix) Led Zeppelin IV: Deluxe Edition [Disc 2] [2014 Remaster]
White Summer-Black Mountain Side Eye Thank Yew Zurich Switzerland
White Summer - Black Mountain Side Magical Sound Boogie MSG June 7 1977
White Summer / Black Mountain Side Knebworth 1979
White Summer / Black Mountain Side Coverdale Page (live) Osaka 1993
White Summer / Black Mountain Side Led Zeppelin (live) Royal Albert Hall 1970
White Summer / Black Mountain Side Led Zeppelin Paris Par Excellence 1969
White Summer/Black Mountain Side Led Zeppelin Coda (from BBC sessions) 1969
Writes of Winter For Zeppelin Lovers Only 1988 MSG
Writes Of Winter Outrider 1988

I'm excited to know I'll be adding more to my list!

If anyone ordered HOTH through amazon and didn't get the autorip, log out of the amazon music app and back in, it should be there now.

Nope. still only have the regular editions of III, IV & HOTH, only I & II have rips of the companion discs. Tbh I could not care less. I find the whole lossy mp3 autorip thing absolutely pointless/useless.

So much to answer...

One companion disc spread over 2 vinyls is still one companion disc. I highly doubt it will consist of 6 vinyls

I still believe that he said that there would only be one companion disc, as was the case with the other LP sets. I heard a rumor, and it is unsubstantiated, but it suggested that the bonus material will consist of variations of some of the songs that were specifically recorded for PG, and not all the extra songs that were recorded during previous album sessions. I agree with juxtiphi, that this set is not likely to have 6 lp's.

Guys, your arithmetic is getting out of control, haha. I never said the box would have 6 LPs. I said 4 at the most...PG was a double album, so that is 2 LPs right there. Two more LPs for the companion audio would equal 4. The original album will be two CDs and then the bonus tracks will fit on one CD, for a total of 3 CDs. If the bonus material runs to 48 minutes or less, then it will fit on one vinyl LP. If it runs longer, then 2 LPs will be needed to cover the companion audio.

Maybe the challenge with the companion disc for PG is finding stuff that isn't readily available...

I'd be surprised if PG had more than one companion disc. I don't think Jimmy has much left that hasn't been already released by the bootleggers. Think about what he could have released as companion for IV but didn't.

This is another thing that irks me about Jimmy Page's approach to the companion audio. Why is he allowing the bootleggers to dictate to him what he puts on the bonus discs? So what if an alternate mix or take is already out on a bootleg? As I have noted before, not everyone has access to the bootlegs or even the knowledge of bootlegs, and certainly no one will have heard these tracks in the quality of audio possible with an official release. If it is a good take or mix, who cares if EVSD or Boogie Mama or Godfatherecords has it out on a bootleg? I still can't believe Jimmy didn't put that killer "Fixing to Die"/"That's Alright Mama" take on the III companion disc!!!! Or "Stairway" with the other two solos he played on IV's companion disc. With a cd having space for 70 plus minutes, there is plenty of room.

Of course, there is always the possibility that Jimmy doesn't have these tapes in his vault...and maybe other alternate studio tracks that have popped up on bootlegs over the years are also not in the hands of Jimmy anymore.

On my HOTH it's not John D, but just JD

I was referring to the IV vinyl, not HotH.

We will be paying a Mount Everest price for it, too!

In my opinion, it will be worth it.

Best Buy has a really screwed up way of setting those up. When I went to get IV and HOTH, I only found the single remastered CDs when I knew Best Buy had the Deluxe in stock. I had to ask three guys and they ended up finding them in the sale section hiding behind Queen. They really need to organize how they set those up.... :ahhh:

FYI, I went to Best Buy last week to buy the Double Deluxe CD editions of IV and Houses of the Holy for everyday use; that way I can keep my Super Deluxe ones mint. I discovered a Best Buy "exclusive" Led Zeppelin IV box which included a T-shirt with the cover art along with the deluxe cd package. Price was $26. Didn't see one for Houses of the Holy.

Nope. still only have the regular editions of III, IV & HOTH, only I & II have rips of the companion discs. Tbh I could not care less. I find the whole lossy mp3 autorip thing absolutely pointless/useless.

Having it stored on the cloud for free has a lot of value to me, basically have my Zep collection wherever I might be in the world. At home I listen to Hi-Res.

Having it stored on the cloud for free has a lot of value to me, basically have my Zep collection wherever I might be in the world. At home I listen to Hi-Res.

Yes that's fine if you are somewhere where one can connect to free wi-fi or if you have the sort of mobile contract that is not going to incur extra cost when using internet/web based services. For me though for portability I have all that I need already on my i pod.

I received both of my Super Deluxe box sets and regretfully they are both Pallas Pressings. The Ocean has distortion through out and Led IV, STH has a big flaw in the pressing near the end and the bonus disk has a two big skips on Black Dog....didn't even bother with the rest of the disk. Thankfully I purchased them through Amazon, but I am worried I will receive Pallas pressings again. From what I have heard there have been a lot of issues with them.

Listening to the high def downloads, incredible sound!

I received both of my Super Deluxe box sets and regretfully they are both Pallas Pressings. The Ocean has distortion through out and Led IV, STH has a big flaw in the pressing near the end and the bonus disk has a two big skips on Black Dog....didn't even bother with the rest of the disk. Thankfully I purchased them through Amazon, but I am worried I will receive Pallas pressings again. From what I have heard there have been a lot of issues with them.

Listening to the high def downloads, incredible sound!

Where do I look on my SBDS, whether mine are Pallas pressings or not? Who did the other pressings of these? Doesn't sound promising for Pallas versions as many here seem to be having lots of problems with these versions. I guess they may not have put the care or perfectionism that Jimmy expects into these?

I've bought all 5 SDBS. I love the packaging and the books are nicely done. I have a rather cheap turntable I bought off Amazon last year so sonically I can't feel the upgrade in the vinyl (have a 15 year old Sony receiver and Bose speakers but am I correct in the cheap needle/cartridge limiting the sound?) I can hear the improvements in the CDs and even when playing them in my IPOD these remasters do sound great. So far overall I find the companion discs pretty interesting but nothing amazing overall.

My HOTH is from the USA (Parras)and has some additional cracklings on the ocean. It's not really that bad, but using noise cancelling headphones it certainly was noticeable. Interestingly I hadn't previously heard the existing distortion in the track anyway, it's present in the remaster CD too, just not as much. The quiet parts of the vinyl on side two seem to have more crackle too, which takes the immersion away from some of the passages in things like no quarter. It certainly doesn't make it unlistenable and I will keep it. If it really does bother me down the line I will get a later copy of the single LP from a non Parras USA pressing and switch. (Although I know they are actually pressed in Germany).

For the effort in shipping from Australia back to usa and waiting for another three weeks for a replacement, which will be P USA anyway, it's not worth it. That said I havent listened to the companion vinyl yet, if that's also crackly them back it goes for a refund.

Jimmy if you're reading: quality control.

Archived