Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JTM

New box sets including unreleased material

Given the relative short length of the companion discs, I think the songs on Coda and that will be found on the Coda companion disc should have been moved to the companion disc they truly belong to. Based on the companion discs so far this would result in an extra 80 minutes of music to spread over 8 releases. They discs and vinyls have room for the addition. Historically it would have made more sense and provided a better timeline of LZ's studio recording output. Coda was only put out to fulfill a contractual obligation. LZ does not need the money that the extra boxset will generate. Missed opportunity to enhance their reputation I think and value their fans.

Rag-bag or not it's a classic Zep album. Also the miscellanea like the Bombay sessions or Bonzo's Montreu would go unreleased in your master plan.

Oh i cannot imagine the things that will be on Coda, so i'll wait patiently for that. But i want Physical Graffiti, and i'll be severely disappointed if it doesn't have the "In the Morning" of In the Light. I love that haunting Lucy in Sky-esque verse.

Edited by FunkyPhantom

I remember on one of Page's "On This Day" he shared some demo of Ten Years Gone & I think In The Light/Morning demo as well. He did the same with Jennings Farm Blues & put that on the companion disc for III - lets hope this stuff makes it for PG!

Come on Jimmy, give us all a Christmas present! Announce that it's both PG and Presence for release in February, and that the super deluxe editions come with a replica Object

Come on Jimmy, give us all a Christmas present! Announce that it's both PG and Presence for release in February, and that the super deluxe editions come with a replica Object

Quite honestly I can't see PG being released with another album. I think PG should stand alone. It truly is a masterpiece and one of the most iconic musical statements in recording history - of any genre.

Being a double album it's release will be a large package of goodies.

Presence will probably be released with ITTOD and then CODA will stand alone as the final reveal.

Quite honestly I can't see PG being released with another album. I think PG should stand alone. It truly is a masterpiece and one of the most iconic musical statements in recording history - of any genre.

Being a double album it's release will be a large package of goodies.

Presence will probably be released with ITTOD and then CODA will stand alone as the final reveal.

Coda companion disk would have to be an absolute mind blower to survive a standalone release :)

Coda companion disk would have to be an absolute mind blower to survive a standalone release :)

It may just be if it is indeed a standalone. Even though there is "no more live stuff" - it might turn out there is a little more live stuff - or a double companion disk. Something extra spesh to wrap up this project. I am probably dreaming but you never know.... :smiley_pray:

Well, if PG isn't announced by the end of next week, than it won't be until after New Years. My guess is the latter. Plenty of time with almost two months until the possibly proposed release date on 24th of February.

I wouldn't be surprised if PG is announced on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Given the relative short length of the companion discs, I think the songs on Coda and that will be found on the Coda companion disc should have been moved to the companion disc they truly belong to. Based on the companion discs so far this would result in an extra 80 minutes of music to spread over 8 releases. They discs and vinyls have room for the addition. Historically it would have made more sense and provided a better timeline of LZ's studio recording output. Coda was only put out to fulfill a contractual obligation. LZ does not need the money that the extra boxset will generate. Missed opportunity to enhance their reputation I think and value their fans.

Hard to do given that several songs on the album were overdubbed in 1981-1982.

They don't need to "enhance their reputation" -- some people don't like them, and everyone else knows they're the best. ;)

Oh i cannot imagine the things that will be on Coda, so i'll wait patiently for that. But i want Physical Graffiti, and i'll be severely disappointed if it doesn't have the "In the Morning" of In the Light. I love that haunting Lucy in Sky-esque verse.

If you mean the early demo -- you'll be disappointed. If you mean the studio-recorded alternate take/version -- "Everybody Makes It Through" -- then you'll be happy.

It may just be if it is indeed a standalone. Even though there is "no more live stuff" - it might turn out there is a little more live stuff - or a double companion disk. Something extra spesh to wrap up this project. I am probably dreaming but you never know.... :smiley_pray:

No live material, but Coda might just be more comprehensive than we'd like to hope...

No live material, but Coda might just be more comprehensive than we'd like to hope...

Almost certainly. Almost. If Coda was to contain some bonus live material - it would not have been disclosed so as to enable it as a surprise. Therefore, the statement "There is no more live stuff after the LZ1 companion" - immediately sealing a surprise for CODA. Like I said, almost certainly wishful thinking, but you never know. ;)

One thing is for sure, it should be a cracker!

The original CODA and the reissues featured two disguised live tracks: 'we're gonna Groove' and 'I can't quit tou baby', I hope Jimmy deals with us as properly informed grown ups. Please no more ' recorded at Morgan studio's' and 'live during rehearsal' chitchat

Edited by duckman

New music on Coda possibly:

Unheard covers (boring)

Unheard song written by Led Zeppelin

Unheard song written by Led Zeppelin and recorded in recent years

New song written and recorded in 2014

Could someone hint at which is going to be on there?

A studio recorded acoustic version of 'Down By The Seaside' on the Physical Graffiti companion disc, and a studio outtake of 'As Long as I Have You' on the Coda companion disc and my life would be complete.

I really hope Coda delivers - back when it first came out it was all new material. I hope we get a second disc of "new" material in the same spirt of the original release. If it's alt mixes of the same tracks i.e. Darlene without lyrics it will go down like a led balloon.

I really hope Coda delivers - back when it first came out it was all new material. I hope we get a second disc of "new" material in the same spirt of the original release. If it's alt mixes of the same tracks i.e. Darlene without lyrics it will go down like a led balloon.

I'm hoping ITTOD companion includes 'Carouselambra-Mix minus Vocals and Keyboards'. :P:bubble:

Out of the remaining and if you could only choose one -which one would it be in the box set and why?

I'm thinking, the ITOD photo album is probably going to be well done as their last hurrah but Presence(the most listened to in my library) on vinyl would be nice as well -hmmm

Edited by riffsofpage

Out of the remaining and if you could only choose one -which one would it be in the box set and why?

I'm thinking, the ITOD photo album is probably going to be well done as their last hurrah but Presence(the most listened to in my library) on vinyl would be nice as well -hmmm

sort of not getting your question.

so just in case: Physical Graffiti always and forever.

I'm not a big doors guy but this week downloaded a bunch of tracks from one of their many box sets called "Behind Closed Doors - The rarities" tracks like "Indian Summer", and multiple takes of "Roadhouse Blues" and "La Woman" .... I wish Page would have done something like this with these box sets. It's all studio banter, false starts and well... just awesome!

With the first five release I guess we know what to expect for the rest. Like many of you, lets hope pG delivers! Peace & Happy Holidays!

Unheard covers (boring)

Idk if As Long as I Have You or Louie Louie fit into your "boring unheard covers" category but i'd give away all i got for an official release of those

Unheard covers (boring)

The chances of those last two ideas happening are extremely slim if not no chance at all. If anything, it would be some song missing a guitar track and Jimmy went in to add the guitars back during the Coda "sessions," but never released it. And I think it's pretty obvious that the band wouldn't be recording anything new to tag it onto the companion disc to Coda. I just couldn't see that happening. of course I could be wrong.....

What I'm imagining for Coda is maybe two or three alternate takes or stuff from the original album, like what the companion discs are today. The rest is gonna be new songs or radically different versions of songs that have been officially released. I think Jimmy is trying to keep the companion disc to every pre-Coda album matching to the original album, i.e. the setlists are similar, the alternate takes aren't that different. I think all of the major stuff Jimmy is holding back for the Coda companion disc. So for example:

Coda Companion Disc Setlist: (Pure Speculation)

1. As Long As I Have You (Studio Rough Mix)

2. The Rover (Early Acoustic Reference Take)

3. Sugar Mama (Rough Take With Vocal)

4. Walter's Walk (Guitar Reference Mix)

5. Ozone Baby (Alternate Mix)

6. Take Me Home (Take Two)

7. New Song

8. Train Kept A Rollin' (Soundcheck Version) ;)

9. Wearing and Tearing (Rough Mix With Vocal)

I could also see the different take of "In the Light," called "In the Morning," being held back for this album

Now I could be on the money, close enough, or in some other dimension. Who knows, its Pagey we're talking about... :whistling:

Edit for LZF :bubble:

Edited by lcondo123

quote function doesn't work for me on this sight for some reason anyways to rephrase:

If you could only afford one super deluxe(box), which of the next four (assuming coda is included -not sure why) would you choose?

quote function doesn't work for me on this sight for some reason anyways to rephrase:

If you could only afford one super deluxe(box), which of the next four (assuming coda is included -not sure why) would you choose?

thought so.

see original answer up top. (so glad I don't have to pick...all 9 will be with me soon).