New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

If there are 6 discs on the vinyl edition, that would seem there are 2 of them for the companion disc.

Sorry, I meant: you can only get so many minutes on vinyl. Isn't it like 22 minutes per side before quality suffers?

And this set is 3 CD and 3 vinyl.

There is so little in life besides death and taxes we can count on, but we can be absolutely for sure that:

* There will be tons of whining about the PG remaster and companion disc between now and the release dates in February.
* There will be many comments all over the internet that bash the music before anyone actually listens to the music.
* There will be much grumbling and second-guessing about choices of content for the companion disc.
* There will be complaints about delivery.
* And, finally, there will be harsh criticism about the remaster and companion disc content, too.

I think Led Zeppelin fans are the harshest critics of Led Zeppelin of all.

Let's all take a deep breath and harken back to the original release of CODA (19.11.82).

At that time Jimmy said that they had emptied the vaults of any real meaningful

or worthwhile Zeppelin recordings. CODA was the result of that "Spring-clean".

Well folks let's face it - Jimmy had foretold us all what these companion disks

would eventually hold all these years later...and that is - not much of any real

listening value exists.

We can't say he didn't warn us.

As far as any companion disc "treasures" go I believe Presence will be the trove

of any gems that exist to get excited about.

The fact that Jimmy found a box of studio tapes from the Presence sessions that

even he didn't know existed gives one REAL hope that there is something new and

revelatory for us to look forward to.

Presence folks, just wait.

Must have been nothing salvageable in the can if boogie with stu is on there.

Some very interesting versions there though.

Would have been nice if custard pie and ten years gone got the treatment: a cleaned up version of that radically different version of custard pie perhaps.

With expectations so high I was always going to be a bit disappointed. Time to reign in my hopes for coda, which I now think will be Darlene (rough mix minus vocals)

Must have been nothing salvageable in the can if boogie with stu is on there.

Some very interesting versions there though.

Would have been nice if custard pie and ten years gone got the treatment: a cleaned up version of that radically different version of custard pie perhaps.

With expectations so high I was always going to be a bit disappointed. Time to reign in my hopes for coda, which I now think will be Darlene (rough mix minus vocals)

Do we dare have any hopes that Coda could turn into a real treasure trove? For example: "Down By the Seaside" was recorded during sessions for fourth album. Perhaps there's no alternate of that here because it wasn't recorded during the PG sessions, and therefore it's more suitable for Coda? "The Rover," too, was recorded at a different time...Could Coda end up being a catch-all for the odd balls?

Would be nice to see, but like you say, it may be best to manage expectations.

We're not meant to have seen these Amazon listings. For the third time, whoever handles the online releasing has messed up and accidentally put the sparsely populated template listings live on Amazon.

Amazon is a buisiness, d'ya think they care if they jump the gun, all those pre-orders they got today....money, money, money.

Amazon is a buisiness, d'ya think they care if they jump the gun, all those pre-orders they got today....money, money, money.

Except it's not their money until they ship.

The US Amazon listing for "Artist 123" is gone....

Yeah, that's been taken down for an hour or two.

Thanks to appiantiqua over at the Hotel, he posted the link to the UK Amazon and the setlist is now up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physical-Graffiti-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B00RUT3DTE/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1420633677&sr=1-3

Do we dare have any hopes that Coda could turn into a real treasure trove? For example: "Down By the Seaside" was recorded during sessions for fourth album. Perhaps there's no alternate of that here because it wasn't recorded during the PG sessions, and therefore it's more suitable for Coda? "The Rover," too, was recorded at a different time...Could Coda end up being a catch-all for the odd balls?

Would be nice to see, but like you say, it may be best to manage expectations.

But houses of the holy and boogie with stu were not recorded for PG, and they are here.

Conversely, TYG, Wanton and Custard Pie were recorded for PG and they aren't here.

But houses of the holy and boogie with stu were not recorded for PG, and they are here.

Conversely, TYG, Wanton and Custard Pie were recorded for PG and they aren't here.

Oh, right. Theory shot to hell.

That was my initial hope that only the PG sessions were considered on the companion disk. That would have put a bit more weight into coda being a clean slate and not just alternative versions of what are just outtakes. But PG is a mixed bag so who knows what will happen.

Slightly disappointed, but very keen for in the light, sick again and Kashmir. Not at all keen for boogie with stu to be honest, unless the alternative mix replaces all instruments with other ones entirely and changes the whole song structure and melody into something else.

Certainly the weakest track on the regular PG IMO.

Well they'll have my money. I'm not going looking for a cheaper deal, same goes for most others who have pre-ordered I would think.

My guess is that the PG Companion disk will be the weakest, most desperate of

any of the C-disks. And considering how weak the IV and HoH c-disks were...

we will be very disappointed here.

Those of us who were hoping for a PG gem or two anyway.

Except that we actually love the Band. Not having our expectations met on the "silly concept"

of the companion disks doesn't make us haters. By definition the companion disks were meant

to enlighten and support the final recordings of each disk. Some of us just feel neither enlightened

or supported by these disks. Doesn't mean that we don't appreciate the original music.

Our hopes and expectations far exceed the Led Zeppelin reality. Much like they had such little video material recorded, they left very little in the can when it came to studio material. Just grateful for what Jimmy releases

nirvana: What makes the companion discs a "silly concept"? Just because some folks aren't enlightened by the companion discs doesn't make them silly. In 1969 Rolling Stone said Jimmy Page was a writer of weak, unimaginative songs. You're saying the companion discs are unenlightened and unsupportive of the albums. Sounds pretty much the same, so IMO your comment about "silly concept" illustrates my point about RS. But that's my opinion.

Archived