New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Coda needs a selling point as I've said so many times before. Enough said for now and will elaborate when the time comes on the horizon for that release and what may or...not appear on the Companion discs for that. For the time being, I think we should focus on LZ's "Magnum Opus"....AKA.....Physical Graffiti!!!

The Co Disc may be good, even though not extensive for a double album. But that would have put the price for the SDBS at over $180 for sure, so you can see what JP is dealing with. He's selling for the general public and not the members of the LZ Forum as much as I'd like him to do so. I knew there would be a lot of disappointments with PG as it's a double album and only one companion disc. Most was included, but two of my all time faves (TYG and The Rover) were left off. Perhaps, no alternate or other mixes that were worthy weere available. Time constraints for vinyl were probably a problem too as not much for cd. I recall in past interviews, that "Ten Years Gone", was one of Jimmy's favorite LZ tunes and most proud of with the various (6 different) guitar parts and diversity. So, I would think, he'd include this if warranted! Hmmm!

I think we'll be happy with the seven here and more so than those with IV and HOTH! But loved the instrumental versions off of those.

So far....III has been the best of the load so far excluding LZI's concert, which is phenomenal!!!

I thought that the companion disc to PG would have been more extensive, but I will be happy to hear the tracks chosen.

It might be my memory playing tricks , but the original PG the records slotted into the sleeve from the top, on this set they slot in from the side.?

I thought that the companion disc to PG would have been more extensive, but I will be happy to hear the tracks chosen.

It might be my memory playing tricks , but the original PG the records slotted into the sleeve from the top, on this set they slot in from the side.?

From the top.

Coda needs a selling point as I've said so many times before.

I fear that the main selling point of Coda might be completing the collection for all the hardcore fans who've already bought the rest. I doubt that many casual listeners will be lining up to buy Coda, regardless of the track listing.

My expectations are low, to be honest. I figure that the companion disc will be a cupboard-clearing collection of previously released outtakes from the prior box sets (HHWCID, TRB etc.), maybe with one nugget tucked in to justify the release. Hopefully, my prediction is dead wrong.

Either way, I'll be looking forward to completing my collection of Super Deluxe sets.

Jimmy Page has said that Coda will "knock people out" the most in terms of companion material. He's also said that the Coda reissue will extend the original concept of the album.

I think it's likely Jimmy is exaggerating - but even so, if he's telling the truth at all here, then the Coda companion material will not be alt. takes or alt. mixes of the main album tracks.

Because this is for posterity, and because of the limits of the LP format, my guess is that the main album will have just the original eight tracks.

If so, then as others have said, that will put Hey Hey What Can I Do, White Summer, and Baby Come on Home on the companion disc. I think Traveling Riverside Blues might not make it into Coda - it was on the 1993 box-set version of Coda, but since then its been released on the BBC Sessions (1997), so Page might now consider it part of the live oeuvre and not fit or necessary for Coda.

So that would leave perhaps four more bonus tracks. One, I assume (hope?), would be some version of Swan Song. That would leave perhaps three real surprises - truly unreleased tracks. Now, it is possible we could see the full/longer version of Bonzo's Montreux, but if Page is true to his word at all, I think Coda will in fact have two or three things we've never heard before.

Jimmy Page has said that Coda will "knock people out" the most in terms of companion material. He's also said that the Coda reissue will extend the original concept of the album.

I think it's likely Jimmy is exaggerating - but even so, if he's telling the truth at all here, then the Coda companion material will not be alt. takes or alt. mixes of the main album tracks.

Because this is for posterity, and because of the limits of the LP format, my guess is that the main album will have just the original eight tracks.

If so, then as others have said, that will put Hey Hey What Can I Do, White Summer, and Baby Come on Home on the companion disc. I think Traveling Riverside Blues might not make it into Coda - it was on the 1993 box-set version of Coda, but since then its been released on the BBC Sessions (1997), so Page might now consider it part of the live oeuvre and not fit or necessary for Coda.

So that would leave perhaps four more bonus tracks. One, I assume (hope?), would be some version of Swan Song. That would leave perhaps three real surprises - truly unreleased tracks. Now, it is possible we could see the full/longer version of Bonzo's Montreux, but if Page is true to his word at all, I think Coda will in fact have two or three things we've never heard before.

Excellent analysis. I dig it. The original 8 tracks on Coda take up 33 minutes, so it's conceivable the "new" Coda stuff could still be represented on that disc, leaving more room for the companion disc.

White Summer / BMS are also live so I don't think we'll see them. I honestly don't think Page will go back to what he did in the early 90s. The whole point of this reissue campaign is to replace those releases. That said Hey Hey What Can I Do and Baby Come On Home have to be on the reissue. If they'll be included on the CODA disc or not is another question. You see Page wants to stay faithful to the originals but if that's the 1982 original or the 1993 original I don't know. An interesting thing to do when they really start scraping the barrell would be to reissue the live albums:

· TSRTS - Original 76 version as opposed to the mess that came out in 2007 with a third disc with unreleased songs and alternate versions of the songs.

· BBC Sessions - Original 97 version with bonus tracks such WS/BMS.

· How The West Was Won - Apart from the excised tracks being added back, I can't think of anything to do with this one.

Anyway, we're all hoping for CODA but then again you never know if it'll just be something along these lines:

1. We're Gonna Groove

Original pre-overdub mix

2. Poor Tom

Mix minus vocals

3. I Can't Quit You Babe

Original pre-overdub mix recorded live at rehearsal

4. Walter's Walk

Original pre-overdub mix minus vocals

5. Ozone Baby

Rough mix keys up

6. Darlene

Rough mix minus vocal and piano

7. Monzo's Montreux

Original pre-overdub full length mix minus synths

8. Wearing and Tearing

Rough mix cowbell up

Oh god!!! The only optimistic person left on this thread makes a dystopic prediction about the reissues! Heavens above!!!

PG will be epic. So far all the disks have for me, blown me away. I still have IV and HOTH to listen to (IV goes on tonight) as I am spreading out the experience (which could not begin until this year for my self imposed wait for the right ingredients). I have absolutely loved the original AND companion disks to date. The concert was a magic look at very early live Zep and what they were embarking on. Just amazing. LZ II and III - all good. A lot better than I thought it would be - but that's because I read too much on here!

So, again, PG - WILL BE EPIC. It has to be. It is Zeppelin. In all their ridiculous glory.

In fairness the thread is called new box sets with unreleased material. It's just become the de facto home for official notification about the sets too.

The remasters sound excellent, and PG and ITTOD Im very much looking forward to, but I'm quite relieved that this thread isn't an audio comparison of the various different masters over the ages.

I'm pretty happy with the way these remasters are going. I have to say though so far for me the companion discs for I-III have been by far the best and maybe one of the problems is that starting with such great bonus stuff gives very high expectations for the other stuff. The bonus stuff on I and III was the most interesting IMO. I'm a sucker for the early live shows - I love the sound Jimmy makes playing a Tele, I think the only one who comes close to sounding that good on a Tele is Jack White. The alternate version of Gallow's Pole made the III companion disc for me, I prefer it to the original - always thought the original was just too busy instrumentation wise and love how clear and prominent the bass is in the mix in the alternate take.

I think one of the potential 'issues' is that Jimmy specifically seems to be avoiding stuff that is out there in bootleg form, trying to offer something completely new. The issue here is that we know how much great stuff is out there. I think he underestimates how many fans wouldn't mind owning duplicates of things, especially if they've been improved sound quality wise.

Have been listening to PG the last few days in honor of the announcement of the reissue, and the thought of hearing some of my top favs (TR, IMTOD, Kashmir, TYG, BYA) remastered, on vinyl and hi-res, is enough to be beyond excited about. Anything that comes on the companion disc is lagniappe to me. This reissue project is priceless, thank you Jimmy!!

:)

Archived