New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Led Zeppelin unearth “Brandy & Coke”, an early version of “Trampled Under Foot” — listen

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/02/led-zeppelin-unearth-brandy-coke-an-early-version-of-trampled-under-foot-listen/

I'm probably one of the few Zeppelin fans who doesn't care for Trampled Underfoot. I DO however enjoy the early funky jams when the band was figuring out this tune. I was hoping the outtake we got would be more in that direction. Didn't expect anything too early or too raw, but I don't have much use for this one.

I'm probably one of the few Zeppelin fans who doesn't care for Trampled Underfoot. I DO however enjoy the early funky jams when the band was figuring out this tune. I was hoping the outtake we got would be more in that direction. Didn't expect anything too early or too raw, but I don't have much use for this one.

Yea I can see that. I liked it though. The removal of the guitar overdubs lets the keys and the rhythm shine, imo the things that make the song.

I'm sorry but "Brandy and Coke" sounds almost identical to the original release called "Trampled Underfoot". What is the game here? Initial rough mix my butt. Enough already of this companion disk BS.

Geez Nirvana. The guitar overdubs make a ton of difference between a wimpy song with too much vocals to something more balanced and meaty. I believe that for those of us fascinated with how JP's musical thinking works, having the companion discs to compare the two versions is valuable and welcome info.

I'm sorry but "Brandy and Coke" sounds almost identical to the original release called "Trampled Underfoot". What is the game here? Initial rough mix my butt. Enough already of this companion disk BS.

This has pretty much become the theme now, and we really shouldn't be surprised by it. Rough mix = official version minus one or two minor tracks. i think we all hoped the companion disks would be more like the Beatles anthology stuff with multiple takes of works in progress and some early versions. However it's painfully obvious by now that they will continue in this vein save for the odd rare gem (which we can probably retrospectively compile onto a single 'album'). I've shifted my expectations and got over my disappointment somewhere between the remarkably similar HOTH companion and this, so I'm ok with it. It is what it is and we get what we will get.

I don't expect any mighty revelations for PG, Presence, ITTOD or Coda, and I now find myself focussing more and more on what the actual core intention of these releases is, the remastering, and I can't wait to hear all the original tracks of PG after their 20 year MOT servicing.

ITTOD is the one where I am hoping the difference is night and day in the sound...so maybe I can finally appreciate it a little more.

I agree with this. It is so close to the released version, if you hadn't told me this was an alternate mix, I would not have noticed.

I'm not a fan of any other music than that of Jimmy Page's (and thus by extension Led Zeppelin) i.e. I don't read other forums and such. So I don't know if all fans are as tough as the ones here. But... am I really, truly understanding that just because most of the music presented on the companion discs isn't brand-new music or isn't at least blatantly different from what's on the albums, that the discs are, to use Mr. Plant's term, not relevant to your listening experience? Or, to use Nirvana's term, BS?

You didn't notice the missing guitar overdubs and solo? :huh:

Again, if I hadn't have known beforehand that this was an alternate, it is doubtful I would have noticed much difference at all. I guess I just don't know every single little bit of every Zep song.

For those that love the alternate mixes, I hope they enjoy them. For me, I once again find myself agreeing with RP, they are not relevant.

I'd have to have 6 brandy and cokes to hear any real difference, or any "meaningful" difference I should say, between Brandy and Coke and our beloved Trampled Underfoot. And to label something as the initial rough mix only confuses the issue. Are we to believe that this mix is so rough that it differs greatly from the end product? When in

fact it is a minor guitar lead and some keyboard emphasis that makes it any different at all. The varying titles are what makes this clone initially rough to take.

Thanks for the link, woz70, it's the only one that works for me.

With respect to the folks that like them I have found the companion discs completely irrelevant. I have never liked "rough" takes or backing tracks. I have just been buying standard 1 disc remasters I respect Page completely but different people will have different opinions. Heard couple good tracks from 3 other than that listened to the rest once at a friend's.... Not impressed

I love any work-in-progress material that sees the light of day, be it music or movies, etc. All those behind-the-scenes extras of the decisions that get made, ideas that arise from collaborations are fascinating. Because of that, hearing many of the released 'alternate' mixes from the companion discs and reading their reviews leaves me with the same impression as you - it's frankly too close to the final release to get so super excited about. It's a nice novelty piece to listen to, but it's not exactly riveting because most of the decisions about the core of a given song have already been made.

I love this song and so many others that have an alternate on companion discs, and was also hoping for some earlier in-progress material. Part of the issue, it seems, is the justification for the excitement that gets built up about the companion discs, and the money that has to be dished out for the extras of the companion discs and books. So far, I've only purchased the vinyl remasters without accompanying discs based largely on reviews and impressions and listenings. From the sounds of things, the books would excite me a bit more than the companion disc offerings thus far have (though can people confirm whether the booklets have just rare or previously unpublished photos, etc? Thanks). It's interesting to read the impressions from musicians here, poring over various details, but it's just not enough incentive to get the whole kit. What moves me the most and what I gravitate to is the music which is already captured brilliantly in the albums themselves. Frankly, listening to bootlegs to get a sense of how songs were changed up is a more interesting venture than what the companion discs offer.

Robert was spot on in his summary of the companion disks. To this point the majority of alternate songs lack any real relevance. A few songs have been interesting for sure but again - they are few and far between.

Even that's ok. I guess the problem here is the marketing of the extra material - which is that the listener will hear a difference and be taken into the making of the final song as a journey. To this point it's been a short ride from the companion song to the final product.

That said I do believe there will be some Real surprises ahead. Enough to justify the initial premise of the companion disks.

I'm not a fan of any other music than that of Jimmy Page's (and thus by extension Led Zeppelin) i.e. I don't read other forums and such. So I don't know if all fans are as tough as the ones here. But... am I really, truly understanding that just because most of the music presented on the companion discs isn't brand-new music or isn't at least blatantly different from what's on the albums, that the discs are, to use Mr. Plant's term, not relevant to your listening experience? Or, to use Nirvana's term, BS?

This seems to be for some fans, and real devoted fans too. Not for me. Similarly, I hold no other band or single artist anywhere near Zeppelin. Since introduction in late teen years, I have "never recovered" you could say. Music that seems to speak and connect with me so clearly. Incredible.

I personally have been grateful for every track on companion disks. Even if I think they are very limited in how many time I replay them, they are out there, and I have them to listen to at will. I could not ask for more. Anything JP releases from Zep days is to me - heaven. Fucked if I would ever second guess him either. Far out. In my mind, it is embarrassing to think you could have the gall to complain. The guy is beyond genius. But that's just me - each to their own.

*Edit - not trying to start flame war :dont:​ - and not saying your criticisms are not valid - just my own POV. :peace:

Agree with you rm2551, if people like the companion discs, I hope they enjoy the hell out of them!

I was hoping for alternate TAKES, the alternate MIXES are a bore, IMHO.

Dylan has released a bunch (and a bunch more remains bootlegged) of alternate TAKES. songs where a ballad becomes a flat out rock and roller and vice versa, or the guitar is dropped entirely for a piano, or a choir is added in place of backup singers, or the song stops midstream because someone is coughing, laughing, screwing up. What you get are entirely different songs, and that is awesome.

Like you, I'm not into flame wars. So enjoy the discs everybody!

Agree with you rm2551, if people like the companion discs, I hope they enjoy the hell out of them!

I was hoping for alternate TAKES, the alternate MIXES are a bore, IMHO.

Dylan has released a bunch (and a bunch more remains bootlegged) of alternate TAKES. songs where a ballad becomes a flat out rock and roller and vice versa, or the guitar is dropped entirely for a piano, or a choir is added in place of backup singers, or the song stops midstream because someone is coughing, laughing, screwing up. What you get are entirely different songs, and that is awesome.

Like you, I'm not into flame wars. So enjoy the discs everybody!

Yeah - that'd definitely be brilliant - and I'm sure would have been part of the release if they existed and JP felt was warranted to include. And I reckon there might be some really cool surprises left.

I am not complaining I just get nothing from the companion discs but am perfectly happy... we have the option to choose- with or without companion disc and save couple bucks if we do not want them. That is how it should be. glad for the people liking them. I would never play them more than once.

Robert was spot on in his summary of the companion disks. To this point the majority of alternate songs lack any real relevance. A few songs have been interesting for sure but again - they are few and far between.

In the interests of accuracy, Mr. Plant did not say the alternates lacked any real relevance - it's just people in this forum who are saying that. What Mr. Plant said (and what I quoted earlier) was that they weren't relevant *to him*. The companion disc songs would also not be relevant many people for many reasons (if, for instance, you were deaf, or if you were at the bottom of the Mariana Trench in a bathysphere and could not stream music or <gasp> you just didn't care for some reason) - but that does not render the songs without value in themselves, does not make them less interesting in themselves, and most certainly does not make them irrelevant for *all* people.

So actually, to say that the songs lack relevance (without qualification) says more about the person posting than it does about the songs. Even to say the songs lack personal relevance says something about the person posting -- not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a statement of position, even when Robert Plant says it.

Archived