New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

C'mon man - call a Buick a Buick...not a Chevy.

They're both made by General Motors, what's it matter? :P

I'll agree using the working title was a tease. Probably should expect the same for Kashmir.

You guys who don't notice the difference: Do you not notice the two vocal tracks, one of which was almost completely mixed out in the final version? Combine that with the lack of overdubs and you have an

"unique deviation" from the version we all know. There's a lot of air in the companion track. You can hear each member's role more clearly, being able to hear exactly what they were playing without the various overdubs.

I don't know why people continue to expect what's ultimately unrealistic. We've had 5 of these sets released (one of which doesn't count because it was live) and their companion content has been pretty much the same. Why do you expect some major revelation on each set, especially when the precedent has already been set? Don't expect earth shattering tracks and you won't be disappointed, you'll be ecstatic when something unexpected happens.

I'm sure it's been said, but the Trampled Underfoot companion has been available on bootleg for quite a while. I still really enjoyed hearing it in this quality. I expect the same quality upgrade from Everybody Makes it Though.

I too am disappointed with the companion discs but NOT entirely so. I was hoping that JP would have looked to the Beatles series or The Doors - both who've released a ton of great alt tracks with false starts, studio banter, and live in studio outtakes - however - as said above we don't know what he has to work with. I give him credit for providing us with what he did put together. The best (for me) has been LZ I - III and am hopeful the rest of the releases will deliver a gem here or there.

And in somewhat related... with all the work he's done in reviewing the catalog, I'm surprised that stuff that wasn't included on the official releases, hasn't made its way to the blackmarket/bootleggers. Have there been any unofficial releases of studio stuff since these new LP's were remastered/released? Not that I know of...

I know there's been a few sound boards, but you'd think in taking on such a large retrospective, some other stuff would have leaked. Thoughts???

I think the Beatles analogy brings up the key difference in working practise between the two bands. The Beatles spent an enormous amount of time in the studio, and were one of the first bands to use the recording studio as a compositional tool, which is why they have such a wealth of alternate takes of things. From the get-go Zeppelin spent as little time recording as possible - studio time was/is expensive. Far better and cheaper for them to work stuff out in quite a lot of detail in rehearsals before they go in to record, and when they do go in make sure things are done in the least number of takes, to keep things fresh sounding. If a take didn't pass muster, they simply didn't use it. Why waste time and money even doing a rough mix of something they knew wasn't right? If a song doesn't gel, don't even record it. Hence the dearth of unique songs (they've been saying the cupboard's bare since Coda, and if I recall the multitrack tape for 'Baby come on Home' was recovered from a skip!).

I think this is the reason Jimmy took the approach he has taken so far - because different versions of mixes/versions without overdubs is literally all they have that isn't rehearsal tapes recorded with crappy early 70's cassette machines that they used purely to remember ideas.

Yes, some of us might liked to have heard those, but generally the sound quality is truly appalling, very difficult to clean up for a commercial release, full of mistakes (which Jimmy seems to loathe), and we know that many of them were stolen.

I appreciate the idea of the companion discs, and there are one or two gems in there, but they don't excite me enough to spend money getting them.

For the people who genuinely can't hear the differences in some of the alternate things we've heard so far I would question the wisdom of buying the new remasters, because the difference between them and the 90's remasters is incredibly subtle in most cases, and these alternate mixes are far from subtly different.

Glyn, and the others who feel these "unique deviations" are enough, I will make a suggestion.

Download a copy of Audacity, it runs on Win, Linux, and Mac. Comes with some pretty good directions too. You can remove vocals, guitars, drums, whatever you want. Pick any Zep song you like, feed it into Audacity, and you have all the companion discs you would ever want for free.

Brandy and Coke was a major disappointment to me. I doubt the companion disc for Coda will be much of anything, honestly.

More live shows would have been great, but he did say that was not gonna happen.

Download a copy of Audacity, it runs on Win, Linux, and Mac. Comes with some pretty good directions too. You can remove vocals, guitars, drums, whatever you want. Pick any Zep song you like, feed it into Audacity, and you have all the companion discs you would ever want for free.

Oh really? I'll take an Achilles Last Stand bass only please. :wizard:

Yes, you can isolate or remove frequencies with editing programs. But by no means can you completely remove specific instruments while leaving others untouched. Instruments share frequencies

Oh really? I'll take an Achilles Last Stand bass only please. :wizard:

Yes, you can isolate or remove frequencies with editing programs. But by no means can you completely remove specific instruments while leaving others untouched.

Spot-on, Glyn.

Just want to add that you can occasionally remove the vocals from a recording using a phase-cancellation technique, but only under certain circumstances.

Bonzo might have called that "a load of bollocks"!

Bonzo might have called that "a load of bollocks"!

That's for sure! It's pretty unnecessary at this point. If you're not enjoying them, fine you're on the record. The rest of us like to discuss the nuances of the songs. If you're on the record for not enjoying them, not buying them, etc. you are not adding anything else by carrying on about it.

That's for sure! It's pretty unnecessary at this point. If you're not enjoying them, fine you're on the record. The rest of us like to discuss the nuances of the songs. If you're on the record for not enjoying them, not buying them, etc. you are not adding anything else by carrying on about it.

I haven't been the most accommodating, I'll admit -- but it's hard to temper my knee-jerk reaction to support the remasters and the companion tracks when people either outright lie or are utterly misinformed.

As it stands, I'm bracing myself for some degree of disappointment (aside from the sparsity of tracks as a whole) with the upcoming release -- I'm not sure how interesting "Boogie with Stu" will be, for example...but I'll wait and listen before I lambast anything.

I purposely stayed away from listening to B&C, so my first listen would be the day I received it. Just listened a few minutes ago and I love it! I'm able to focus on the vocals, drums, and piano jam so much more. Even though there's a huge difference in the song version, I still hear jimmy's wah-wah guitar parts, in my head.

Archived