New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Re: the above mentioned Physical Graffiti live stream - Just finished hearing it. Actually, they just played the "alternate" disk that has come with all the reissues. Unfortunately, it was UNDERWHELMING. The only standout track is the alternate version of "In The Light," which is noticeably different. As for the rest of the tracks, if there were differences, they were SO slight, I didn't notice them, and I doubt if many others will either. Still, looking forward to receiving "PG" when it's released next week (I pre-ordered on Amazon). At least the NEW artwork will give me something to anticipate!

Re: the above mentioned Physical Graffiti live stream - Just finished hearing it. Actually, they just played the "alternate" disk that has come with all the reissues. Unfortunately, it was UNDERWHELMING. The only standout track is the alternate version of "In The Light," which is noticeably different. As for the rest of the tracks, if there were differences, they were SO slight, I didn't notice them, and I doubt if many others will either. Still, looking forward to receiving "PG" when it's released next week (I pre-ordered on Amazon). At least the NEW artwork will give me something to anticipate!

Your screen-name is undeserving if you failed to notice that "Sick Again" was an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT TAKE.

You sure you listened to Sick Again, bud?

Trufan eh! not if you don't know PG, which seemingly you don't.

OK, I'll admit it. I did miss "Sick Again." Then again, it's NOT one of my favorites, and NOT one of their better known tracks. I was expecting somewhat different versions of "Kashmir" and "Boogie with Stu." Instead, they sounded IDENTICAL to the originals.

OK, if you only have TWO distinctive alternate tracks, do you really need to add an EXTRA disc? Why not admit there just wasn't enough WORTHY extra material lying around and just add those two tracks to the second disc of "PG" as extra tracks?

OK, I'll admit it. I did miss "Sick Again." Then again, it's NOT one of my favorites, and NOT one of their better known tracks. I was expecting somewhat different versions of "Kashmir" and "Boogie with Stu." Instead, they sounded IDENTICAL to the originals.

OK, if you only have TWO distinctive alternate tracks, do you really need to add an EXTRA disc? Why not admit there just wasn't enough WORTHY extra material lying around and just add those two tracks to the second disc of "PG" as extra tracks?

"Kashmir" is disappointing, but close-listening reveals differences. None Earth-shattering I'll grant you, but eh...

I'll have fun listening.

So Trufan... since it's not your favorite, it sucks? Yet you explain how Boogie With Stu should have been more alternate but you fail to mention how it also isn't one of their lesser known versions as well?

Kashmir is the worst companion track, imo. A missed opportunity to include Ten Years Gone or something truly interesting.

@ledzepfilm: I never said "Sick Again" sucked. I simply said I wasn't as FAMILIAR with the track as I was with others, hence my not noticing that it was a DIFFERENT version (I still have to go back and compare the two).

I mentioned "Boogie with Stu" because it SHOULD be easily recognizable to a Zep/rock fan, first, because it's based on an old Ritchie Valens song, and second, because it features Ian Stewart, who normally played with the Rolling Stones.

Like I said, the music is GOOD, it's just UNDERWHELMING in terms of surprises.

@Trufan Did you really have to compare to the original version when there's no vocals on this version at all, plus the fact that it's 2 minutes long? Boogie With Stu is definitely not one of their best known songs. Sick Again isn't either, but certainly not as much as Boogie With Stu.

Archived