New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I would think that if Jimmy really has something interesting that is un-released from the Zeppelin back catalogs - he would have

released it by now...I mean 1980 WAS a long ime ago folks. 33 years is an awful long time to hold on to "gems" regarding Zeppelin

material. But then again....33 IS a truly magickal number now that I think of it.

Hmmm, maybe this could be an exciting year after all !

Personally I'd say the most "interesting" studio recording that has unoffically seen the light of day would be the early version of In The Light, the intro and verses really are totally different to the released version and have a great mysterious atmosphere to them.

What we've heard so far does to me tend to suggest theres enough geinuely interesting material to add quite a bit to each album as extra, not just rough studio run thoughs but early versions that offer something a bit different.

1. current technology now allows iffy recordings to be polished up to be not so iffy anymore.

2. don't think for a second that if the moment was right that they would not create a single new song either outright or borrowing bits and pieces from other recordings.

a few dubs here and there, a little creativity on the ProTools, get Plant in the audio booth, do three takes and print the best one.

tons of material was laid down for IV that has never seen the light of day- yet

gotta buy the boxset to get it

You'll get new music - just not "recently recorded" music.

1. current technology now allows iffy recordings to be polished up to be not so iffy anymore.

2. don't think for a second that if the moment was right that they would not create a single new song either outright or borrowing bits and pieces from other recordings.

a few dubs here and there, a little creativity on the ProTools, get Plant in the audio booth, do three takes and print the best one.

Sounds horribly similar to the godawful 'new' Jimmy Page material. Makes me sick.

can you imagine being faced with such demand for Led Zeppelin material as the band is right now? Demand has not waned. Celebration Day, Kennedy Center Honors gives perspective that the time is right to try to meet the demand in the best way possible. That is a daunting task.

The last thing I want is more tracks like those found on CODA. 70's Zep with 80's Plant....no thank you.

If they feel the need to give us something new and can't write a new song, they should re-record an old unreleased one. However, it's totally cool if they want to use one of Bonzo's unreleased tracks.

can you imagine being faced with such demand for Led Zeppelin material as the band is right now? Demand has not waned. Celebration Day, Kennedy Center Honors gives perspective that the time is right to try to meet the demand in the best way possible. That is a daunting task.

i don't agree that a new Project is so daunting. Look, we all get up every day and go to work doing things

that either we enjoy or for most of us - it's just a job - but we do it none the less.

Musicians, esp the caliber of the Zeppelin members, should work at their craft day in and day out.

How many of us can take years off a job or our craft, in the case of Jimmy - many years off, and still have

a job to go to? How many of us would get paid handsomely for doing little or nothing?

Other than Robert, who has been a self-employed and a working mucisian since 1980, Jimmy and John Paul

in some respects have not been very active in the "work force" of their chosen craft. Jimmy Page,

honestly, hasn't been dutifull at his job or not that we know of...I apologize heartily if he has been keeping

any new work a deep secret for all of these years.

To produce a new Project, with all their expertise and world experiences, should be second nature to

the Zep members. They should have reams of new material ready to go, and maybe they do but we

keep hearing of "re-releasing and re-mastering EXISTING material. Not acceptable for a working musician!

If we went to our bosses and said - Hey I'm going to give you the same thing over and over just in a

different package and you'd better be happy...I think most of us would be out of a job unless we were

professional re-packaging blokes.

Seriously, we need to have high expectations at this point from Zeppelin members. With the addition of

Robert and Jason we need Jimmy and John Paul to "go to work" and produce new, quality, and interesting music!

MY boss would say this to me :"Cut the bullshit and get your ass back to work and give me something

worth your fuckin' paycheck or pack your shit and get out!" "NOW!"

That's the reality folks, you know it and Robert knows it. Give us a Project gentlemen.

i don't agree that a new Project is so daunting. Look, we all get up every day and go to work doing things

that either we enjoy or for most of us - it's just a job - but we do it none the less.

Musicians, esp the caliber of the Zeppelin members, should work at their craft day in and day out.

How many of us can take years off a job or our craft, in the case of Jimmy - many years off, and still have

a job to go to? How many of us would get paid handsomely for doing little or nothing?

Other than Robert, who has been a self-employed and a working mucisian since 1980, Jimmy and John Paul

in some respects have not been very active in the "work force" of their chosen craft. Jimmy Page,

honestly, hasn't been dutifull at his job or not that we know of...I apologize heartily if he has been keeping

any new work a deep secret for all of these years.

To produce a new Project, with all their expertise and world experiences, should be second nature to

the Zep members. They should have reams of new material ready to go, and maybe they do but we

keep hearing of "re-releasing and re-mastering EXISTING material. Not acceptable for a working musician!

If we went to our bosses and said - Hey I'm going to give you the same thing over and over just in a

different package and you'd better be happy...I think most of us would be out of a job unless we were

professional re-packaging blokes.

Seriously, we need to have high expectations at this point from Zeppelin members. With the exception of

Robert and Jason we need Jimmy to "go to work" and produce new, quality, and interesting music!

MY boss would say this to me :"Cut the bullshit and get your ass back to work and give me something

worth your fuckin' paycheck or pack your shit and get out!" "NOW!"

That's the reality folks, you know it and Robert knows it. Give us a Project gentlemen.

I disagree with a lot of this. Who says that musicians should work every day? Why should Jimmy Page work every day? Just to satisfy you?

We need to have high expectations? Every fan expects something different, clearly you are expecting way too much from the surviving members of Led Zeppelin and you're acting like you're entitled to a new album.

the members of LZ are sons, brothers, husbands, dads and friends with varied interests in their daily lives- secondary to this is their calling and craft which is beyond just music for the masses and fandom

Regarding CODA, I did not appreciate it when it was released. Now I do. Wouldn't mind if Jimmy took another shot at that one. Time has probably given him some ideas and paths to search out.

I disagree with a lot of this. Who says that musicians should work every day? Why should Jimmy Page work every day? Just to satisfy you?

We need to have high expectations? Every fan expects something different, clearly you are expecting way too much from the surviving members of Led Zeppelin and you're acting like you're entitled to a new album.

Expecting "way too much", "entitled", "why should they work"...? Cookie - you MUST be kidding. Really, seriously?

You're dammed right I'm expecting something after all these years of Jimmy, not me or others, saying that material

is coming soon. Jimmy IS a musician, he is a gifted human being in decent health and sound (?) mind - we should

ALL EXPECT some new art from an artist! Why the hell not?

Who are you to tell them it's ok to sit on their ass *(not Robert - he's all blue collar) and give us fans nothing after

33 years of the end of Zeppelin...I wouldn't hire you as my Human Resource person that's for sure!

I say - get back to work using the talents the good Lord gave you!

the members of LZ are sons, brothers, husbands, dads and friends with varied interests in their daily lives- secondary to this is their calling and craft which is beyond just music for the masses and fandom

Regarding CODA, I did not appreciate it when it was released. Now I do. Wouldn't mind if Jimmy took another shot at that one. Time has probably given him some ideas and paths to search out.

But Dallas - aren't we ALL "sons, brothers, husbands, wives, friends, with lots of other interests?

Are we multi-millionaires because of the work we do?

Probably not, we work because we need cash and that's our lot in life.

I know a lot of musicians who work 2 - 3 jobs because they cannot make enough money at playing

their music. Zeppelin members have made boat loads of money, well -deserved of course, but now

it's time they got back together and be the creative force we all know they could be.

And that my friend is called "working for a living", not sitting around talking about it to the media.

You have a point about Page saying he's got stuff coming, but it never seems to get here. I would gladly welcome a solo album from him. Jones is busy doing his own thing. He's had a successful solo career, and even though he hasn't been as active as Plant, he's doing what he wants to do.

Who are you to tell them it's not ok to sit on their ass and give us fans nothing? Hell, if I could work for roughly 10 years and sit on my ass the rest of my life without a care in the world, I would. Page, Jones, and Plant have more than earned the right to do anything they want to do, they've contributed more to this world than you or I probably ever will. Expecting 100% new material from Led Zeppelin, a band that disbanded 30 some years ago, is ridiculous.

NEW transfers and UNRELEASED material more than satisfies my desires, and is more than I ever expected. They don't owe me anything.

Not trying to start an argument, but just trying to figure out where you are coming from.

I appreciate it, I just don't like the re-worked RAH tracks that were passed off as studio outtakes, and personally don't care for Plant's voice at the time.

Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, the Stones, Moody Blues, Bruce Springsteen,

John Mellencamp, any many other greats from the Zeppelin era, have all been "blue collar" and working

on their Craft since the end of Zeppelin in 1980. In some form, in some time frame, all of these artisits

have produced new material and have toured many times over. They are all wealthy beyond imagination

but they know their calling and have not rested on their laurels. God Bless them!

Robert alone has rolled up his sleeves, hit the recording studios, the stages, the landscapes and went

to work perfecting his art. Thankfully he has represented Zeppelin well and made us proud over the years.

lots of passion in this thread

2012 and the promise of 2013 fills me with gratitude

You have a point about Page saying he's got stuff coming, but it never seems to get here. I would gladly welcome a solo album from him. ..They don't owe me anything.

If Led Zeppelin made a comeback album in order to become 'blue collar' musicians then imagine how dull and uninspired it would be. They should make music because they want to, not to satisfy an annoying fan.

The members of Led Zeppelin don't owe ME personally anything at all. However, unless they announce a

retirement from music, stop talking the talk, and go off into the sunset quietly, they should rightly produce

new music and stop all the re-hashing of the hashed!

Why do people get so upset over opinions stated here...Zeppelin can do what they want but we as fans

can also do and say what we want - esp as "shareholders" of the Zeppelin bank rolls.

If Led Zeppelin made a comeback album in order to become 'blue collar' musicians then imagine how dull and uninspired it would be. They should make music because they want to, not to satisfy an annoying fan.

Cookie, goes easy on yourself - you're not annoying! And "blue collar" is just a term used to define

a working class citizen, someone who would rather produce something vs sitting around all day dreaming

and talking a lot. If Zeppelin was to do new material I would expect a hard -working approach to it - that's

all blue-collar would refer to. Go easy Cooks, this ain't personal.

They did announce a retirement...well, at least from Zeppelin...shortly after Bonham died. Anything after that is just a bonus for us.

They issued a press statement on 4 December 1980, confirming that the band would not continue without their drummer. "We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend and the deep respect we have for his family, together with the sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were." It was simply signed "Led Zeppelin".

No retirement statement - just that they could not continue as they were...obviously.

They issued a press statement on 4 December 1980, confirming that the band would not continue without their drummer. "We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend and the deep respect we have for his family, together with the sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were." It was simply signed "Led Zeppelin".

No retirement statement - just that they could not continue as they were...obviously.

Im all about Zeppelin getting back together one last time, but they announced in '80 they didn't want to continue on as Led Zeppelin. Id call it pretty much the same as retiring from Zeppelin. They may have not used the word, but I feel like they made it clear that we shouldnt expect anything else from Zeppelin. Just my opinion though.

Fantasy - no new material will come of this.

I've never understood the appeal of owning earlier versions of a track. I can see how they would be of interest to musicians or musicologists who want to understand how a band or artist develops a song from its inception to the final product. But this is of no interest to me personally. The version I first heard on the radio or at a concert is "the right version". But that's just me.

Archived