New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

A guitar project.... hmmmm......

Would that be....

Pick up guitar and rekindle that amazing romance with it over a few months or so, honing and refining all kinds of familiar and new tones.

Call up some absolute legends that Jimmy would be interested in jamming with and having get togethers to see how it goes.

See what comes of the above and develop the musical ideas that would definitely have formed by this time.

Unleash more brilliance onto the world. Not Led Zeppelin, but an amazing rock experience that stands on its own as epic.

Tour with a mix of Zep and new material. :bravo:

Please Rock Gods, say it is so. :hurrah:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/presencein-through-the-out-door-coda-olympic-studios-playback-event-report-plus-exclusive-tbl-track-by-track-complete-companion-discs-preview/

Dave Lewis' review of the companion material. I'm actually pretty excited about these, especially after reading this. "Pod" sounds like it has some serious potential, and as if the name alone of "St Tristan's Sword" wasn't enough, that seems like it should be a really good tune (hopefully worth the wait). Then the new versions of "Levee (If It Keeps On Raining)", "Royal Orleans" with Jonesy on vocals, and "Bring It On Home" with a more aggressive vocal/harp track...I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what sorta magick Pagey has in store for us! :wizard:

And yeah, Steve, we'll believe it if and when it actually comes out.... :beat:

^^^ I remember recently when I heard Going to California on a satellite station, and it sounded so bad I had to listen to the reissue afterward to make things right again! ;)

It was so bad that I felt compelled to send them a note about it. I haven't heard that particular song again to see if they have remedied the situation.

When Zeppelin is played on the radio are you able to tell any difference in the audio quality i.e. a 1980's cd release v the new remastered LP's/CD's etc?

I am unable to and was just curious if anyone can really tell the difference. TGIF!

When the first three came out last year, I did some track-by-track comparisons, using the Complete Studio Recordings, which were the George Marino remasters from 1990.

I heard welcome differences in the remasters, but they were not earth-shattering differences (except when I turned up Levee to 11 :) ).

Generally, the music on the remasters felt more "there". The clarity and purity are great. It's like I am just a little bit closer to the studio than I had been. Specific examples are "I Can't Quit You Baby," "Ramble On," "That's The Way".

Still want to do this sort of comparison for the others.

I thought (I am probably wrong) radio stations had unique versions made for the radio (lot of compression)?? If so I would think it would be pretty hard to tell any difference.

The compression is added during the broadcast process and is often adjusted for different times of day - many radio stations (especially those playing classical music) will apply less compression in the evenings, when people are listening at home rather than in the noisier environments found at work or in the car.

In the old days of AM radio bands would often send radio stations mono versions of songs for broadcast, but the nearest you get to that sort of thing nowadays is a 'broadcast edit', where any swearing is blanked of bleeped out.

The compression is added during the broadcast process and is often adjusted for different times of day - many radio stations (especially those playing classical music) will apply less compression in the evenings, when people are listening at home rather than in the noisier environments found at work or in the car.

In the old days of AM radio bands would often send radio stations mono versions of songs for broadcast, but the nearest you get to that sort of thing nowadays is a 'broadcast edit', where any swearing is blanked of bleeped out.

Very interesting info....i thought kashmir always sounded different on radio.

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/presencein-through-the-out-door-coda-olympic-studios-playback-event-report-plus-exclusive-tbl-track-by-track-complete-companion-discs-preview/

Dave Lewis' review of the companion material. I'm actually pretty excited about these, especially after reading this. "Pod" sounds like it has some serious potential, and as if the name alone of "St Tristan's Sword" wasn't enough, that seems like it should be a really good tune (hopefully worth the wait). Then the new versions of "Levee (If It Keeps On Raining)", "Royal Orleans" with Jonesy on vocals, and "Bring It On Home" with a more aggressive vocal/harp track...I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what sorta magick Pagey has in store for us! :wizard:

And yeah, Steve, we'll believe it if and when it actually comes out.... :beat:

If Royal Orleans is about JPJ anyway, only makes sense he should have a crack at singing it.

:banana:

Royal Orleans (Reference Mix) 3.01

A‘3-4’ count in and hi-hat from Bonzo and we are off for a reference mix that features a very different vocal delivery to the officially released version.

"Contrary to what I initially thought, this is NOT a John Paul Jones vocal but Robert Plant applying the lyrics in a harsh bluesy manner which reminded me of Dr John."

Royal Orleans (Reference Mix) 3.01

A‘3-4’ count in and hi-hat from Bonzo and we are off for a reference mix that features a very different vocal delivery to the officially released version.

"Contrary to what I initially thought, this is NOT a John Paul Jones vocal but Robert Plant applying the lyrics in a harsh bluesy manner which reminded me of Dr John."

Oh, thanks.

The way JImmy Page spoke about record store day has me pumped!

I know, me too! Hopefully sooner than later, he isn't getting any younger!

Asked if there was anything left in the studio archive Jimmy summarised that that was about it –though he did hint at a possible future Record Store Day release noting ‘’Something might pop up on international Record Day or something like that. But it will be a long way off.”

The compainion disc version of "Hots on for Nowhere" once again sounds very similar to the original studio version only Plants vocals are way up front in the mix. Jimmy is laughing all the way to Switzerland....

What nonsense. Nothing left in the studio archives. Page as composer, producer, green liter for the final mix down, etc.,etc., would be

the last person to not keep a huge storehouse of additional material in it's various forms. To say that well, Page would redo or change

overdubs thus taping over other possible takes , or only having the final mix down tapes of tracks, some bands certainly did that but I

find the idea that Page wouldn't want to save whatever he could, Incredible.

Like many of the previous releases I could not hear much difference either -

This one, more than most of these reference mixes, sounded way different from the album version. a lot more drums and Bob's vocal is way up front. the mistakes also reveal this was probably an early early take. it was a thrilling listen. :coffee:

Any word as to why these haven't dropped in price since they were announced? The previous 6 inched down towards $115 a few weeks after they were announced...hmm.

Any word as to why these haven't dropped in price since they were announced? The previous 6 inched down towards $115 a few weeks after they were announced...hmm.

I check every day too. I expected a drop by now. Maybe it's just one of those things. Still a month + to go, so I'm not too concerned yet....

Fourth album, HOTH and PG all dropped 25% from original list price; I believe it was two different adjustments. Like, I think PG went from $159 to $139 to it's final ship price of $119...

Archived