New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Take a look at the thread on pro-shot footage, specifically the posts by Dallas Knebs. Plenty of stuff has come out that people didn't think was out there as well. Personally I would love another show from '77 on video, though I fear it would be like Seattle. All close ups and no shots of the audience because it would have been used for the video screens in the Silverdome.

How much of that stuff has just been AUD recordings on a 16mm or 8mm though? Pontiac's video feed was huge there's no way you can just hide something like that away if a) it's releasable or B) still exists. It even looks like it was meant for release because of the scale of it.

In the pro-shot thread, it's all pro-shot video, no audience 16/8mm.

It's entirely possible that it hasn't made it out to collectors hands, or if it has, the people that have it are incredibly tight with it. I mean, would you trade to get an uncirculated pro-shot video?

And speaking of these new releases. Can anyone on this World Wide Web share ANY proof that Seattle wasn't multi-tracked? I don't think it was, but I wonder sometimes why people say it wasn't if I have never seen any proof? Proof does not = Jimmy or whoever said no multis were made. The fact that none have shown up doesn't = proof either. I think Jimi got robbed, and I think Jimi got stuff done behind his back as well.

...How does Jimmy saying that no shows were multi-tracked "not equal" proof? How else would we know either way? It's not like we have access. :s

(Jimi? Huh?)

Eddie Kramer was going to record a live album in 1977. After hearing a couple of shows, he concluded that the band was too sloppy at the time and decided the shelve the project. The result is that none of the 1977 shows were multitracked.

Now this is rumour - I have never seen anyone verify this notion. I don't buy it.

Well if the rumours are true, they would of had Southampton filmed by July and a definite multi-track of the show, I'm sure Southampton was meant to be the concert for TSRTS anyway

...What? Southampton was multi-tracked - God knows why...

the cameramen are responsible for the head shots, etc. I ASKED if there was PROOF that no 1977 shows were recorded. Not proof that somebody said they weren't .com. please, if there is anybody with proof, pls come forward. Otherwise, please realize that without proof, anything is possible. Who knows if some showco dudes made a multi-track behind Jimmy's back? 1975? All you have to do is record multiple inputs to the soundboard on separate tape tracks.

the cameramen are responsible for the head shots, etc. I ASKED if there was PROOF that no 1977 shows were recorded. Not proof that somebody said they weren't .com. please, if there is anybody with proof, pls come forward. Otherwise, please realize that without proof, anything is possible. Who knows if some showco dudes made a multi-track behind Jimmy's back? 1975? All you have to do is record multiple inputs to the soundboard on separate tape tracks.

Haerm.

How can you prove that something doesn't exist if you claim that lack of something isn't proof?

well I AM glad somebody gave it some thought. when I consider my knowledge of 1977 technology and the money showco and Zep had, I start to wonder about PROOF that "this" was done or "that" was not done. I don't f'ing know either way for sure about most of this stuff, I just wonder if people think the same way I do. Solid proof.

Haerm.

How can you prove that something doesn't exist if you claim that lack of something isn't proof?

I know exactly what you mean, but I guess that I have heard users on this forum say "there are no multi-tracked live shows from this year and that year" TOO MANY times. I guess I am OCD, or they maybe need to say "ALL the evidence point out that it is highly unlikely any shows were multi-tracked from (said) year". In this case 1977. There is no way anybody could say "NO SHOWS from 75 or 77 were professionally recorded." There are too many variables in that statement to make it impossible.

edit: unless you witnessed that the soundboard wasn't running line out to any recording device. for every show.

The soundboards from 1975, although they sound very nice and are near official release quality are not multi tracks.

i agree. and I would put money on that. (not much though) BUT I ask if there is anybody who has any info/evidence that makes them positive that is true? How is anybody sure none were recorded?

oh earls court btw. not us tour i guess

I do agree to an extent, Jimmy has gone on record of saying there is no multi tracks from 77' that is true. But why not? It was always meant to be their biggest tour. Then again why would they feel the need to multi track anything from the tour what would of been the need at the end of the day, you don't think forward at the time, multi tracking a show was hugely costly too it just seems like they never get round to it. Anyway the whole tour was a mess for the band at the time, other factors would of got in the way. Jimmy probably thought they'd never play good enough at a show to waste time and mone multi tracking

They may have had plans to multitrack the end of the tour (as they did with Earls Court). When Plant's son died, it stopped the tour.

Edit:

By the way, the speculation train has completely derailed this thread :P

i agree. and I would put money on that. (not much though) BUT I ask if there is anybody who has any info/evidence that makes them positive that is true? How is anybody sure none were recorded?

oh earls court btw. not us tour i guess

Earls court was multi-tracked for the band with their permission. It wasn't the case of a showco employee doing it behind their backs. Earls court were Zeppelin's first shows in the UK for a considerable period and I would wager this is the reason why they were professionally recorded.

In the case of the '77 multi tracks and Jimmy not thinking any of the shows would be good enough to record I don't think this is true, he was pretty messed up at the time and I don't know if this would have been his line of thinking. Multi track recordings simply could have been neglected/not considered. I still say that the Millard recording of the 21/6 show is good enough to officially release with a little bit of cleaning up. Other bands have released shows recently, namely the Stones that are warts and all so to speak. Just listen to the trainwreck that is 'Happy' on the recent-ish 'LA Friday' release, the only thing that has been cleaned up on this is the quality of the sound. No overdubs or mish mashing from other shows. Oh, and please lets not turn this into a Zeppelin vs Stones, I was merely using them as a point of comparison.

I think this discussion deserves another thread, its gone way off topic haha.

The 1977 tour as far as performances go is uneven to say the least. Not exactly their best. Of the three legs the middle (2nd) was the best with Landover, NYC, SD and LA having great shows. Although, within all those shows the first 2/3 of the show or so were always great but the ending not so. Personally, I've never heard a great ALS from this tour. Do love the P/P version from 1995 in Atlanta. Well done and JP nails it pretty well. The encores were quite weak, especially with the harmonizer and didn't like Jimmy's tone during these. Much better encores from past. But many great moments from 1977 with Kashmir, NQ TYG and especiallyTSRTS in LA on the 21st. Love that intro! Can't beat it....before the opening chords. No argument why it was used in the 2003 DVD! Many other great moments from these shows too! Better for another thread.

If 1977 video is to be released with these box sets and I feel it will be just a few selected songs. Jimmy will just select the best of the bunch (perhaps an hours worth) and an entire 3 hour plus show. Just how I feel and a guess. Just Seattle at this point as it's the only one filmed professionally to exist. The others like Pontiac and Houston are all speculative.

Who agrees? Try to say what may happen and not necessarily what you want to happen in regards to this 1977 footage if included in the box sets (I'm sure the Presence set)....be realistic, not a dreamer!

I converted the concert list to an excel sheet. I think is more usable. Here it is. If somebody can add information or have a way to improve it, leate me know.

Concerning this, does anybody know which concerts of Led Zeppelin had been recorded with multitrack format?

Confirmed:

1970.01.09 - Royal Albert Hall - London, England

1971.09.23 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan

1971.09.24 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan

1971.09.28 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan

1971.09.29 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan

1972.06.25 - The Forum - Los Angeles, CA, US

1972.06.27 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA, US

1973.01.22 - Southampton University - Southampton, England

1973.07.27 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US

1973.07.28 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US

1973.07.29 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US

1975.05.23 - Earls Court Arena - London, England

1975.05.24 - Earls Court Arena - London, England

1975.05.25 - Earls Court Arena - London, England

1979.08.04 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England

1979.08.11 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England

Rumored:

1968.10.25 - University of Surrey, Great Hall - London, England

From Jimmy:

"The only thing that there was … From the 1977 tour we had a visual reference with something in Seattle but there was no multitrack of it. My plan was to actually film that tour. Normally we would film the tours at the end, although we only did it twice beforehand! Once at Royal Albert Hall (in 1970) and the time when we did it at the end of the ’73 tour, which is Madison Square Garden, and that became The Song Remains The Same. The way that we were playing and the intensity of it, and actually the visual aspect of it as well, had taken on a whole element that was screaming out to be filmed, actually. But of course, you have to set out with recording trucks and all the rest of it, and we just actually never got around to filming that because that was the tragic time when Robert lost his son (Karac, to an infection, aged 5 in 1977), so enough said about that really."

Confirmed:

1970.01.09 - Royal Albert Hall - London, England

1971.09.23 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan

1971.09.24 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan

1971.09.28 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan

1971.09.29 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan

1972.06.25 - The Forum - Los Angeles, CA, US

1972.06.27 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA, US

1973.01.22 - Southampton University - Southampton, England

1973.07.27 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US

1973.07.28 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US

1973.07.29 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US

1975.05.23 - Earls Court Arena - London, England

1975.05.24 - Earls Court Arena - London, England

1975.05.25 - Earls Court Arena - London, England

1979.08.04 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England

1979.08.11 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England

Rumored:

1968.10.25 - University of Surrey, Great Hall - London, England

Just to know. The confirmation appears from?

That's the list that I made over at RO.

1970.01.09 - Royal Albert Hall - London, England (officially released)

1971.09.23 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan (confirmed by an interview)

1971.09.24 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan(confirmed by an interview)

1971.09.28 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan (confirmed by an interview)

1971.09.29 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan (confirmed by an interview)

1972.06.25 - The Forum - Los Angeles, CA, US (officially released)

1972.06.27 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA, US (officially released)

1973.01.22 - Southampton University - Southampton, England (available on bootlegs)

1973.07.27 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US (officially released)

1973.07.28 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US (officially released)

1973.07.29 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US (officially released)

1975.05.23 - Earls Court Arena - London, England (confirmed by Kevin Shirley's interview)

1975.05.24 - Earls Court Arena - London, England (officially released)

1975.05.25 - Earls Court Arena - London, England (officially released)

1979.08.04 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England (officially released)

1979.08.11 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England (released officialy released)

There is a guy that claims that they were multitracked, he was involved in it somehow - don't remember exactly.

Confirmed is such a strong word to me....maybe rumored or possible. The rest of those are pretty obvious (I think).

The band decided to reshoot some parts at Shepperton because camerawork of the original footage was unacceptable, not because there were gaps in between filmed portions.

Everything I've read has suggested both.

I don't buy that bullshit. What we know for sure is that the band had up to 8-10 cameramen for each of the three concerts. By the end of the third concert, the band had up to 6 hours of footage from each camera. How were they not able to come up with something that could have been composited into one 2-hour sequence?

Archived