New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

To me Zep were at their best as a live act for several years from Jan 1970 to July 1973. Or perhaps a bit before that to also include the Fall 1969 tour dates in the USA and Europe. Would include 1975, but Robert's voice was quite bad in 1975, especially in the states. But not quite as bad for the Earls Courts shows. Seemed to improve a bit after a bit of rest from the USA shows.

Was there anything really remarkable about the O2 concert? It was a huge event but it was not an exceptionally good performance.

I'd say for them to "rock" as well as they did at their age, yes, that was rather remarkable. As I always say regarding a possible reunion tour, it's not 1975 anymore. It wasn't '75 in 2007, either, but I think the performance was worthy of their legacy.

I'd say for them to "rock" as well as they did at their age, yes, that was rather remarkable. As I always say regarding a possible reunion tour, it's not 1975 anymore. It wasn't '75 in 2007, either, but I think the performance was worthy of their legacy.

Agreed. And IMHO, Kashmir and IMTOD were amazing performances, worthy of inclusion among their best live performances. And while there is of course no '70s point of comparison for For Your Life, I think they kicked butt on that one too.

Agreed. And IMHO, Kashmir and IMTOD were amazing performances, worthy of inclusion among their best live performances. And while there is of course no '70s point of comparison for For Your Life, I think they kicked butt on that one too.

I'm with you. I had the unofficial DVD soon after the show and didn't watch much, so when I finally saw the whole show last fall, Kashmir really impressed me. Robert didn't hold back on that one.

To me the O2 version of Kashmir may be their best ever. To me the ones that come close are from Los Angeles in 1977 from 6/21 and 6/25. Other than that the O2 is the best I've heard. But that's me!

No Danelectro. No segue from White Summer/Black Mountain Side.

I have always loved that segue and is why I loved the 1977 versions better than 1975 as JP used the Les Paul. Used it in 1979 and 1980, but the 1977 versions were just better. Perhaps it was his tone? But even without the Danelectro the sound he got during the O2 show was incredible. The sound and volume was intense and dense. Can't remember which guitar he used. Sure many of you know.

White Summer almost always sounds awesome. My favorite version of White Summer actually is 4 August 1979.

I've always wondered what guitar Jimmy used on the studio version of Kashmir. Les Paul for sure but No. 1 or 2?

I have always loved that segue and is why I loved the 1977 versions better than 1975 as JP used the Les Paul. Used it in 1979 and 1980, but the 1977 versions were just better. Perhaps it was his tone? But even without the Danelectro the sound he got during the O2 show was incredible. The sound and volume was intense and dense. Can't remember which guitar he used. Sure many of you know.

The mellotron has a lot to do with why the '77 versions sound better than '79 and '80 imo, the Yamaha keyboard just couldn't replicate the sound of the strings as well

Most of the footage is out of sync.

I never notice that, really, but I'll assume you're correct. Considering how flawed that 1973 project was...I'll give them a reprieve.

I disagree big time. Jimmy's playing was a lot more interesting in 1977 than at the O2, no matter how sloppy he was.

Also, you seem to be forgetting who was the drummer on the 1977 tour.

Noooo...go back and listen to the O2: Jimmy's playing is much more interesting at that concert, due to his use of effects and nuance which really adds a nice layer to his playing during the course of the night.

No Danelectro. No segue from White Summer/Black Mountain Side.

What?! No way. The Les Paul perfectly captures the sound of "Kashmir" -- the 1975 versions blow away those from 1977...I can't remember a single bad rendition from the former tour, whereas in 1977, the quality was almost always threatened by Jimmy's slop, and particularly by how bad his playing on "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" was.

I agree with everything you're saying, Melcórë.

As for the Garden footage, have you noticed how bad the sync is for Since I've Been Loving You? The original The Song Remains the Same is much better. The only higher point for the DVD is that it features the whole ending on video.

Noooo...go back and listen to the O2: Jimmy's playing is much more interesting at that concert, due to his use of effects and nuance which really adds a nice layer to his playing during the course of the night.

Are you serious? The O2 was more focused but the 1977 tour is an onslaught of creativity. And the band was playing three-hour sets in 1977 with a much better setlist.

As for the Garden footage, have you noticed how bad the sync is for Since I've Been Loving You? The original The Song Remains the Same is much better. The only higher point for the DVD is that it features the whole ending on video.

Wasn't "Since" always the worst? :P I've just never paid that much attention to the visuals, for whatever reason. Watching/listening The Song Remains the Same is the closest to a religious experience I've ever had. :P

Are you serious? The O2 was more focused but the 1977 tour is an onslaught of creativity. And the band was playing three-hour sets in 1977 with a much better setlist.

The 1977 tour -- which I do love, btw -- was an "onslaught" of "well, are we gonna' make it through tonight?" You can't compare seventy year-old men to their youthful counterparts -- any attempt will end in failure. But they were consistently good that night in 2007, and were having fun again -- when was the last time that happened, 1975?

I was serious in terms of Pagey's guitar work -- every run-through has an added layer to it...you need to listen carefully, but he hasn't played that well in years.

I'll agree to disagree on "Kashmir," though. :P

Welcome to the forum Newt! :welcome2: Hope you enjoy it here and post some good stuff!

thanks.

i'm still finding my way around right now.

got a lot to learn about the band. and now even more with the unreleased stuff coming out.

To compile three nights of footage and add footage shot a year later and call it one concert is ridiculous.

It would have been easier if the proper steps had been taken at all levels -- miscommunication on the behalf of the band/management and Joe Massot, coupled with Massot's idiosyncratic filmmaking, basically doomed the project from the start.

This has nothing to do with the box sets. :P

I've been saying this for a long time and I'll repeat - the filming should've occured in March 1973, not July. The band played some of their best-ever shows in March of that year.

I don't undestand their tactique. I remember Page saying that they usually filmed final parts of tours, and they were going to film/record the final show(s) of the 1977 tour - probably the JFK Stadium gig (man, I wish that had happened). I think it's more than obvious that they always played better early on during any tour.

Archived