New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

We'll surely get:

Early versions of songs/early mixes/alt. mixes

Unreleased songs (Swan Song, Jennings Farm Blues, Hoochie Coochie, Fire, Sweet Love (Jelly Roll), Don't Start Me Talking, Strawberry Jam (if it exists), etc.)

Live performances

I don't think 2.0 versions of the albums will be remixed. Page is surely making new transfers but I don't think he'll tamper with the mix.

I don't think 2.0 versions of the albums will be remixed. Page is surely making new transfers but I don't think he'll tamper with the mix.

agree with everything you said. In so far as breaking the seal on the mix, he has precedent to sweeten a few things up and fix things that made it through the first few go arounds. ibid. TSRTS (Caveman debacle) and the RM4iT versions that are truly nicely done. I would expect a few tracks from PG to get opened up and really, really looking forward to Presence getting a tweak or two on the bottom and de-mud the dubs.

I have wondered if Page already has the studio tracks part of the boxsets completed and is only working on the extras. Reason being that the RM4iT could be a downsample from new transfers.

I have wondered if Page already has the studio tracks part of the boxsets completed and is only working on the extras. Reason being that the RM4iT could be a downsample from new transfers.

I would argue that this is the case. The Reddit AMA seems to support that -- he's working in the archives, not with what we already have.

But...I don't care/want him to remix the albums. It's just pointless, and I'd rather have new or properly alternative versions of songs.

Another one that's going to give me a history lesson on something I already know - everyone out here has to prove they have the bigger cock, huh?

Anyways...

The video you post is NOT what I'm speaking of. Do you have the Cabala boxset? I say no, otherwise you wouldn't have posted what you did. There is a song/track on the Cabala boxset called The Light Bearer. I can talk about it because I HAVE IT AND HAVE LISTENED TO IT MANY, MANY TIMES. I forget which take it is, I believe take #7, and it is defintiely Bonham on drums and Jones on organ/bass.

You know I wasn't trying to be a dick with my post, but you seem to be trying to be one with yours. Anyway, I've also got a vinyl rip that was released as a bootleg years before what I posted in my previous post of the whole of what was recorded for lucifer rising and it is definitely only Jimmy Page.

What do you mean?

From Kevin Shirley (Caveman)

Repairs? On Jimmy Page's guitar work? Well, yes:

"And then Jimmy goes, 'I don't wanna know, I don't wanna know. If it sounds better, that's good, but I don't wanna know.'"

"And then I would play it to him. He goes, 'Let me hear how it was.' Then I'd play it back to him. He'd say, 'Let's hear what you did to it.' And then he'd listen back. He'd go, 'I'm

going upstairs...'"He's like, 'Don't you dare! Let me hear it.'" When we worked at Sound West, and Jimmy would be upstairs, and he'd come downstairs and say, 'What you doing?' And I'd say, 'Well, I'm just working on this thing over here, I just repaired this one guitar thing.'

"There's one obvious one in the Zeppelin DVD where, that great fanfare that marks the end of the solo in 'Stairway to Heaven.' He goes up high and he does that fanfare right at the end of the solo.

“I used an 1176 to compress Robert's vocals, a Peavey Kosmos Pro on Jimmy's guitar, and on the drums, I used an old Fairchild stereo compressor. One of Jimmy's comments when we started was, ‘I want to hear lots of cymbals,’ and I used the Fairchild for that. The kick drum chain was pretty complex, and on the bass and keys, I used a variety of the old compressors, as well as six Fatso compressors chained together for the surround mix and the SSL console compressor for the 2-channel mix. They sound great; they are clean and variable and dynamic. I had API EQ over the stereo bus. Sometimes, I used a Drawmer 1961 tube EQ on the guitar."

Shirley mixed the CD and DVD at SARM West Studios in London using an SSL 9000 J. He had dozens of effects at his disposal, including API compressors and EQ, but he says he didn't use too many because he wanted to capture the essence of being at a Zeppelin concert.

Shirley confirms, too, that there is much more unused Led Zeppelin material sitting in the vault. Not all of it, however, is useable [reference to sub-standard performances due to drugs etc]

"I got to the studio and it was like, 'Well, there's room full of old tapes, going back from 1968 to 1980 ... And by the time we started looking at it...there was some really shaky performances, and there was a lot of drug use going on in the band in the '70s."

Yes, that says 1980. Tapes. They do exist according to Caveman and not just audio. These are not little 1/4" cassette tapes bled off of a headphone jack on the board.

For those who require sourcing:

http://www.ledzeppelinnews.com/2011/03/kevin-shirley-admits-to-run-ins-with.html

http://www.cavemanproductions.com/lzmix.html

Yes, that says 1980. Tapes. They do exist according to Caveman and not just audio. These are not little 1/4" cassette tapes bled off of a headphone jack on the board.

I'm pretty sure Shirley makes some mistakes in his statements, so we should treat his "1968 to 1980" comment with skepticism. That being said...I can't recall anyone (like Jimmy) ever definitively saying they didn't multi-track anything from 1980, as he has done with 1977. (A couple of the early shows from the 1980 tour were once verboten on trading/torrent sites, per the wishes of Led Zeppelin.)

Are you guys thinking that some 1980 shows were multitracked?

That appears to be what DK was getting at, and (if I recall correctly) there was some buzz about that a while ago. Like I said above, there was supposedly a request sent out years ago (to torrent sites like The Traders' Den) not to allow a couple shows. I believe they were the first of the tour, Dortmund and Cologne.

That appears to be what DK was getting at... Dortmund and Cologne.

dortmund_zpsdab0ae8f.jpg

Melcórë writes:

I'm pretty sure Shirley makes some mistakes in his statements, so we should treat his "1968 to 1980" comment with skepticism.

A healthy bit of skepticism yes and always. Out and out dismissing Caveman, no not so much. He seems to have his facts straight this time.

...Well, where's that from?

I also didn't say to dismiss his statements -- just to be reasonably skeptical.

Knebs said a while back that a friend of his had a tape with pro shot video of the band playing Zurich in 1980... I really, really want to believe something from 1980 exists. The Zurich show is fenomenal.

Proshot video from Zurich? I don't see how that's possible. There were no cameras near the stage.

Camera's don't exactly need to be put on the stage... Aerosmith's show in landover back in 1977 didn't have camera's on the stage and it was recorded pro shot.

Anyway, the rumour came from Knebs so you can go ask him about it. He said he had seen about 30 seconds of the video.

Knebs said a while back that a friend of his had a tape with pro shot video of the band playing Zurich in 1980... I really, really want to believe something from 1980 exists. The Zurich show is fenomenal.

I find that hard to believe -- surely, if something of that stature existed for Zürich, it would have been listed on the embargo I mentioned above as well as the other shows. Not to mention the fact that there is evidence of "pro-shot" filming on the other tours (including 1977) -- has there ever been an inkling, aside from wishes and whisperings, of anything like that for 1980?

Anyway...it isn't exactly hard evidence being shown a box with some writing on it.

That appears to be what DK was getting at, and (if I recall correctly) there was some buzz about that a while ago. Like I said above, there was supposedly a request sent out years ago (to torrent sites like The Traders' Den) not to allow a couple shows. I believe they were the first of the tour, Dortmund and Cologne.

One thing I do remember is perhaps about 20 years ago when WNEW 102.7 in NYC was a Rock station, Carol Miller had her "Get The Led Out" daily feed of Zep. Sometimes she would play some high quality sound Zep shows. It was usually BBC stuff and one time over the course of the week she played the 1980 Zurich show. A few songs a nite and ended with Kashmir being cut off near the end which is the copy I had at the time, which their copy did as well. It was a great quality SB. Sounded better than pretty much all the SBs from 1980. Was it multitracked possibly? There were a few other SBs she played during here show. Two of them that I remember being Cleveland in 1977 and Dallas in 1975.

One thing I do remember is perhaps about 20 years ago when WNEW 102.7 in NYC was a Rock station, Carol Miller had her "Get The Led Out" daily feed of Zep. Sometimes she would play some high quality sound Zep shows. It was usually BBC stuff and one time over the course of the week she played the 1980 Zurich show. A few songs a nite and ended with Kashmir being cut off near the end which is the copy I had at the time, which their copy did as well. It was a great quality SB. Sounded better than pretty much all the SBs from 1980. Was it multitracked possibly? There were a few other SBs she played during here show. Two of them that I remember being Cleveland in 1977 and Dallas in 1975.

I don't know...I recommend listening to the Dortmund and Köln shows I've mentioned ad nauseum -- it might just be my ears messing with me, but they sound...different than the other soundboards from the 1980 Tour Over Europe. If you've ever listened to the soundboards/video soundtracks from any of the multi-tracked shows -- 1972.06.27, 1973.07.28, 1975.05.24-25 -- you'll know what I mean: Clearer separation, higher fidelity sound...it's all speculation on my part.

I don't know...I recommend listening to the Dortmund and Köln shows I've mentioned ad nauseum -- it might just be my ears messing with me, but they sound...different than the other soundboards from the 1980 Tour Over Europe. If you've ever listened to the soundboards/video soundtracks from any of the multi-tracked shows -- 1972.06.27, 1973.07.28, 1975.05.24-25 -- you'll know what I mean: Clearer separation, higher fidelity sound...it's all speculation on my part.

I don't think its your ears.

Camera's don't exactly need to be put on the stage... Aerosmith's show in landover back in 1977 didn't have camera's on the stage and it was recorded pro shot.

Anyway, the rumour came from Knebs so you can go ask him about it. He said he had seen about 30 seconds of the video.

No rumour. Fact. It is brilliant. I asked the guy to prove he had it and he showed me :34seconds of the opening.

...Well, where's that from?

that's a Caveman logo on the bottom right of the picture, unless I am mistaken.

I don't think its your ears.

No rumour. Fact. It is brilliant. I asked the guy to prove he had it and he showed me :34seconds of the opening.

that's a Caveman logo on the bottom right of the picture, unless I am mistaken.

But until your guy shows us all... :P

Is it?

Archived