New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Yeah, I remember it Jimmy being photographed with it for a magazine. But why would he give it to Nick Simmons?

No idea, maybe Gene met up with him and invited him to the studio to hang out with Nick and Jimmy had the guitar with him?

Or maybe Nick Simmons plays rhythm guitar on Jimmy's upcoming album featuring guest vocals from Paul Stanley and we can all go cry a little.

post-20091-0-01116600-1372151174_thumb.j

Maybe they even recorded something? I dunno. Why would he carry his guitar with him if he wasn't going to record anything?

That's what I thought. Maybe they did. Perhaps he took it for photoshoots. It's possible that the photog. specifically requested a guitar for the shoot.

To be perfectly honest I personally think that they are ripping the fans off now, first we had the albums, then CDs, then the complete works. The remastered, 1 and 2. Page said then that there was no more unreleased material. So I for one will not be purchasing any regurgitated Zeppelin stuff. Once bitten twice shy.Are they running short of money or something?

Back to the topic: does anyone else think that ITTOD should be remixed?

if you'd ask me that some time ago I would have said yes. But now I think that for the time of it's release there was nothing wrong with the mix. The only thing on that album that's a bit "edgy" is Jimmy's guitar work, but that didn't stop him from making I'm gonna crawl. It's mysecond favorite Zepp album. I guess they could remix the drums.

if you'd ask me that some time ago I would have said yes. But now I think that for the time of it's release there was nothing wrong with the mix. The only thing on that album that's a bit "edgy" is Jimmy's guitar work, but that didn't stop him from making I'm gonna crawl. It's mysecond favorite Zepp album. I guess they could remix the drums.

I think the entire mix should be done from scratch.

I think the entire mix should be done from scratch.

it seems to me that the R4iT was done from scratch as every flaw and imperfection of which I am familiar is now no more. Mud is gone. Track bleed fixed. Irritating fluctuations in continuity no more. Hot Dog fixed. Drum wash fixed on all tracks. Refreshing to say the least... and no compress, push and chop.

I ran across an old photo of Polar Studios, the inset is reputed to be taken whilst rehearsing tracks on ITTOD. It was subsequently mixed at Plumpton. For the new box sets, I am hopeful to hear the rehearsals and rough drafts of the tracks that made it on CODA.

Polar_zpse163ba7f.jpg

That is not my statement- on the record in multiple interviews, you are calling Kevin Shirley's bluff sir. Keep it straight. Your difficulty is with him and what he says, let him own it. I will not.

The bluff part is related to visual material -- he just says "tapes," which is quite vague in the audio/visual world.

I find it highly unlikely that a band that had not even released a studio album would multitrack a show.

...A band that was touring under the name of an already successful band, a band that might have required proof of their ability outside the studio? *Shrug*

It's long been rumoured that one of the shows from 1968 was multi-tracked. The name I've seen thrown around most often was their gig at the University of Surrey. (The first under the name "Led Zeppelin.")

To be perfectly honest I personally think that they are ripping the fans off now, first we had the albums, then CDs, then the complete works. The remastered, 1 and 2. Page said then that there was no more unreleased material. So I for one will not be purchasing any regurgitated Zeppelin stuff. Once bitten twice shy.Are they running short of money or something?

...If you think Led Zeppelin is bad, do a search for the Stones. The amount of times they've "remastered" their catalogue over the course of the past twenty years is astounding.

The first four CD releases you mentioned were essentially all the same mastering, btw, just different packages.

it seems to me that the R4iT was done from scratch as every flaw and imperfection of which I am familiar is now no more. Mud is gone. Track bleed fixed. Irritating fluctuations in continuity no more. Hot Dog fixed. Drum wash fixed on all tracks. Refreshing to say the least... and no compress, push and chop.

Erm...no. The "Mastered for iTunes" tracks were not remixed -- in fact, the clarity provided to the recordings by the remastering actually accentuates other "flaws and imperfections" in the recording which were always there, just harder to hear.

...A band that was touring under the name of an already successful band, a band that might have required proof of their ability outside the studio? *Shrug*

It's long been rumoured that one of the shows from 1968 was multi-tracked. The name I've seen thrown around most often was their gig at the University of Surrey. (The first under the name "Led Zeppelin.")

The old rumour was always that Grant recorded at least one show to play to promoters in order to get the band bookings, doesn't make it true of course but it seems to date from way back.

The old rumour was always that Grant recorded at least one show to play to promoters in order to get the band bookings, doesn't make it true of course but it seems to date from way back.

I can imagine them recording it for a few different reasons. I know it's unlikely...but early Zeppelin was a monster. That Gonzaga audience tape is one of my favourite gigs, because they were almost desperate to get themselves out there.

All of this talk reminds me of The Doors´ London Fog Tapes. Who would have ever imagined those tape existed? Not even the band itself knew about it. Why would the band or anyone else have recorded the gig? It was 66...nobody knew abut The Doors then, It was even before the whisky. If those tapes would have been rumored to exist...who would have actually believe it? BTW...The Doors are putting out the London Fog tapes at the end of the year.

Oh...and the New Orleans tapes? Rumored for years...nobody believed...now there is strong proof they are real. And I believe they will be released someday.

Let´s just be patient and let Jimmy do his magic. Have we ever been really dissapointed with what he has given us? Let´s wait until the boxes come out.

Archived