New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

...and the New Orleans tapes? Rumored for years...nobody believed...now there is strong proof they are real. And I believe they will be released someday.

Is that 1973 or a different tour?

If there's something they recorded live to be released, I want something from either 1971, 1977 or 1980. Otherwise it's just milking the cow.

Have you people heard the show from 1971 at the MSG? Holy crap.. Imagine if that was multi tracked. Jimmy said in '75 that he wanted to put

together a chronological live album with preformances from every year they played live. If he said that one would assume that he had recordings from

1968 to that particular year, so I don't really know about the rest. he probably intended to do that live album up until bonzo died and Zeppelin as we know it ended.

He has some stuff up his sleeve that we would never imagine that they would exist, just think about how the west was won: he had said a million times "such a shame we didn't multitrack more shows back in the day and there are no more professional audio recordings of zeppelin playing live" and BAM, 3 hours of Zeppelin playing in LA in 1972. He's building up the moment for us. All we have to do is wait, I'm sure he'll deliver.

1973? You are dreaming! that´s thye band latest ever gig with Jim Morrison in December 1970.

There was no Zeppelin show in New Orleans in 12-1970. There was no Zeppelin show anywhere in December 1970.

They aren't referring to a Zeppelin show -- they're talking about a Doors one.

Oh, my apologies. I thought the allusion was to Zepp touring with the Doors, as they did some shows or maybe just the one. (Or thought achillestand had shifted to Zeppelin recordings).

Oh, my apologies. I thought the allusion was to Zepp touring with the Doors, as they did some shows or maybe just the one. (Or thought achillestand had shifted to Zeppelin recordings).

No problem -- I can see how it would get jumbled like that in the flurry of responses. :)

If there's something they recorded live to be released, I want something from either 1971, 1977 or 1980. Otherwise it's just milking the cow.

Have you people heard the show from 1971 at the MSG? Holy crap.. Imagine if that was multi tracked. Jimmy said in '75 that he wanted to put

together a chronological live album with preformances from every year they played live. If he said that one would assume that he had recordings from

1968 to that particular year, so I don't really know about the rest. he probably intended to do that live album up until bonzo died and Zeppelin as we know it ended.

He has some stuff up his sleeve that we would never imagine that they would exist, just think about how the west was won: he had said a million times "such a shame we didn't multitrack more shows back in the day and there are no more professional audio recordings of zeppelin playing live" and BAM, 3 hours of Zeppelin playing in LA in 1972. He's building up the moment for us. All we have to do is wait, I'm sure he'll deliver.

"Milking the cow"? How so?

Everything else about your post is speculation. They have definitively stated that there are no multi-track recordings from 1977, so the likelihood of a release from that year is lower than the others.

Everything else about your post is speculation. They have definitively stated that there are no multi-track recordings from 1977, so the likelihood of a release from that year is lower than the others.

Isn't everything posted about the future release of the box sets speculation?

Yeah...sorry, I flip-flop on the issue -- speculation is great, but I do fear we get ourselves into unnecessary tizzies.

I think that speculating on Zeppelin has reached the point of being a standard process in being a fan.

I don't recall any talk of it to begin with?

Also, it's 'Cincinnati'

OK. I admit there is no such thing but can anyone clarify the Montreal project? That WAS spoken of but I never found out what it was. Maybe just another lousy prank.

OK. I admit there is no such thing but can anyone clarify the Montreal project? That WAS spoken of but I never found out what it was. Maybe just another lousy prank.

It was affiliated with the Vancouver project.

The old rumour was always that Grant recorded at least one show to play to promoters in order to get the band bookings, doesn't make it true of course but it seems to date from way back.

Have heard this through the years along with some studio time while on the second tour of America. Have not seen anything personally, not even on the super secret auction sites. Grant possibly could have used the Scandanavia performance recordings for promo?

For the new box sets, I would like some of JPJ's instrumental stuff. It has been said that the sessions at Polar was chock full of downtime, waiting and more waiting. A good tape operator knows to keep the tape going no matter what. The photo below is at Polar Studios and JPJ's Yamaha is seen in the far right. A restless musician with time on his hands in a new studio... he must have found something to play to pass the time.

Polar-All-My-Love-Rehearsal_zps40ce10c3.

Although clarifying the "Montreal Project" is almost impossible now after so many years, 33 to be exact, I will give it my best. Knowing, of course, that I will also be hearing from

the "Board" here for this one and will welcome all pieces to be added to this puzzle. Steve A. Jones weigh in please!

Anyway, just before Led Zeppelin was to launch their massive 1980 US Tour, Jimmy and Robert had met with a artist/music producer/and all-around world-music dude whom we

now assume was a fellow named Martin Meissonnier. You may remember Martin being associated with the Page - Plant Un-Ledded/No Quarter project. The awesome Drum loops for Yallah and

the Wonderful One production etc, etc.

So at the time, 1979-1980 pre-Bonham death, Jimmy wanted to do this multi-gatefold Album of "rhythmatic syncopation" (look it up for definition) which would involve world beat

rhythms over syncopatic guitar parts and deep mixed vocals from Plant. It was being rumored to be a dark, huge, and twisted album with multiple album gates, similar to ITTOD cover concepts

but more complex and involving various under-ground artists' paintings. Jimmy and John B were un-happy with the "light the candle" sing-a-long nature of ITTOD and wanted something more true to

the Zeppelin legacy. In the Evening did touch on the syncopatic approach but Jimmy wanted to take it steps further with Bonham and Meissonnier collaborating on some world beats

rhythm sections. Early loops like the ones used in Yallah were probably the basis of what became known as "The Montreal Project". Exciting stuff to be sure!

An EP of a few of songs were to be released to coincide with the 1980 US Tour. Trips were made to Canada, studio experiments with Meissonnier with the concept and sound, and it looked

like the Montreal Project was going to eventually see the light of day at some point during the Tour...until John Bonham passed so suddenly. Obviously any work done on the Project was shelved

and not revisited until Un-Ledded came along. Jimmy had this concept and vision and it was extinguished so abruptly that I believe he took years to recover from.

Now keep in mind, and Steve Jones can help here, all this was being leaked little by little to the music press at the time. Jimmy wanted the project to be held secret until the right time

during the Tour with the EP being used as an exciting taste test for what was to come. Looking back and knowing what Meissonnier is capable of music wise, wow! What a partnership that

would have been. Robert would later throw out the term "The Project" or " A Project worthy of One" in various interviews, most recently on the Charley Rose sit-down for the O2 Live releases.

Please reference Martin Messonniers' resume on the Internet. We are all familiar with the Un-Ledded project but really Martin is super-genius brilliant! His productions are so deep and

complex but with a unique simplicity! Do yourselves a favor and visit his various projects on the Net and beyond.

I'm so hoping that Jimmy brings to life what was going to be the so-called "Montreal Project" with his new releases! Jimmy deserves this moment.

If anyone has anything to add to this story to fill in the blanks please do! MP2013.

After reading the many, many posts here regarding the hopes and prayers for bits and pieces of what little remains UN-RELEASED from the "Old Zeppelin catalog", that Jimmy

may or may not include in the forth-coming box sets, one can't help but think we are like junk-yard dogs yelping and baying for scraps, bones, and juices

from the plates of the Bountiful. Junk-yard dogs we are then.

they met with Martin at his home in France prior to Over Europe. Never went to Canada. The "Montreal Project" is a misnomer. Rumour run amok. If was not even a project, more of a stirring and a moment to kindle. It would be "Montreuil Meeting" since Montreuil, France is where Martin makes his home. Ultimately they did consummate albeit 14 years later with the release of Unledded/No Quarter. I am a huge fan of Martin's and follow his work at Gnawa with great interest. If anyone else has an interest, his soundcloud account is open and has some gems. https://soundcloud.com/martinmeissonnier/ana-hayou-by-aziz-sahmaoui Back in 2006 or so he used to keep his Myspace full of different soundtracks he was doing.

For the new box sets, it would be reaching for me to hope that anything was recorded while in Montreuil and would show up on a Led Zeppelin release especially since it was Plant who contacted Martin and Page who accompanied. No word if JPJ or JB went along.

Although clarifying the "Montreal Project" is almost impossible now after so many years, 33 to be exact, I will give it my best. Knowing, of course, that I will also be hearing from

the "Board" here for this one and will welcome all pieces to be added to this puzzle. Steve A. Jones weigh in please!

Anyway, just before Led Zeppelin was to launch their massive 1980 US Tour, Jimmy and Robert had met with a artist/music producer/and all-around world-music dude whom we

now assume was a fellow named Martin Meissonnier. You may remember Martin being associated with the Page - Plant Un-Ledded project. The awesome Drum loops for Yallah and

Wonderful One production etc, etc.

So at the time, 1979-1980 pre-Bonham death, Jimmy wanted to do this multi-gatefold Album of "rhythmatic syncopation" (look it up for definition) which would involve world beat

rhythms over syncopatic guitar parts and deep mixed vocals from Plant. It was being rumored to be a dark, huge, and twisted album with multiple album gates, similar to ITTOD cover concepts

but more complex and involving various under-ground artists' paintings. Jimmy and John B were un-happy with the "light the candle" sing-a-long nature of ITTOD and wanted something more true to

the Zeppelin legacy. In the Evening did touch on the syncopatic approach but Jimmy wanted to take it steps further with Bonham and Meissonnier collaborating on some world beats

rhythm sections. Early loops like the ones used in Yallah were probably the basis of what became known as "The Montreal Project". Exciting stuff to be sure!

An EP of a few of songs were to be released to coincide with the 1980 US Tour. Trips were made to Canada, studio experiments with Meissonnier with the concept and sound, and it looked

like the Montreal Project was going to eventually see the light of day at some point during the Tour...until John Bonham passed so suddenly. Obviously any work done on the Project was shelved

and not revisited until Un-Ledded came along. Jimmy had this concept and vision and it was extinguished so abruptly that I believe he took years to recover from.

Now keep in mind, and Steve Jones can help here, all this was being leaked little by little to the music press at the time. Jimmy wanted the project to be held secret until the right time

during the Tour with the EP being used as an exciting taste test for what was to come. Looking back and knowing what Meissonnier is capable of music wise, wow! What a partnership that

would have been. Robert would later throw out the term "The Project" or " A Project worthy of One" in various interviews, most recently on the Charley Rose sit-down for the O2 Live releases.

Please reference Martin Messonniers' resume on the Internet. We are all familiar with the Un-Ledded project but really Martin is super-genius brilliant! His productions are so deep and

complex but with a unique simplicity! Do yourselves a favor and visit his various projects on the Net and beyond.

I'm so hoping that Jimmy brings to life what was going to be the so-called "Montreal Project" with his new releases! Jimmy deserves this moment.

If anyone has anything to add to this story to fill in the blanks please do! MP2013.

now assume was a fellow named Martin Meissonnier. You may remember Martin being associated with the Page - Plant Un-Ledded project. The awesome Drum loops for Yallah and

Wonderful One production etc, etc.

Wow. I consider myself pretty well versed in Zeppelin "history," but this one is new to me. Fascinating.

"they met with Martin at his home in France prior to Over Europe. Never went to Canada. The "Montreal Project" is a misnomer. Rumour run amok. If was not even a project, more of a stirring and a moment to kindle. It would be "Montreuil Meeting" since Montreuil, France is where Martin makes his home. Ultimately they did consummate albeit 14 years later with the release of Unledded/No Quarter. I am a huge fan of Martin's and follow his work at Gnawa with great interest."

Dallas K - it IS quite possible that the initial press leaks confused "Montreuil" with Montreal, esp. since their names are so close in French to English conversion...very easy to see the mistaken

City names. Thanks for your clarification! However the mystery deepens...There were numerous comments made over the years of Robert's and Jimmy's love of the Montreal "night-life" and its various

forms of "entertainment" in the sex clubs if you will. Montreal has a very vibrant artist community as well and culturally it is alive and thriving. Robert speaks a little French and enjoys the culture both in France and in Canada - as various boots from concerts there attest to.

I do remember Robert being the Meissonnier initiator, true. However Jimmy did hit it off with Martin as well. Spiritually they had a lot in common I believe.

Their partnership runs deep and I wouldn't be surprised to see Works between them coming out in time. Montreuil or Montreal, whatever, potatoe or potato - just bring it to Light!

As a side note - In 1980 Led Zeppelin were considered "Dinosaurs, sell-outs, pompous old-farts, and rich fat millionaires" by the new Punk movement at the time. Punk

was taking over and Zeppelin, although still huge, was treated with disdain by the underground music fans. This Montreuil / Montreal Project was going to be Jimmy's "Go Fuck

Yourselves, you un-grateful bastards - now have a listen to this!" and " Led Zeppelin can fuckin' blow your doors in" !

Can't wait for his Day to come!

Thanks Dallas K for your input of pieces to this puzzle - invaluable as usual!

MP2013

Could it be possible that Jimmy and Martin are the modern day versions of Alan Lomax and crew?

Have they been doing "field recordings" around the world for years and now finally those recordings

may see the light of day in some form?

I can't think of a more exciting musical and cultural event...beyond hope!

Moby are you listening?

This entire story is kinda ridiculous. I think it's more than obvious that the band never spent time in the studio after ITTOD was finished.

Who said anything about the "Band"...Jimmy and Robert met with Martin to begin work on the Project.

Although the drum loops that Martin recorded MAY, I repeat - MAY, actually have been John Bonham from 1979 - 1980

studio sessions.

Archived