New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Sounds like the project was in the early stages of development. They'd probably start recording it after the US leg of the 1980 tour. In short, I don't think anything was actually recorded in the studio.

Although the drum loops that Martin recorded MAY, I repeat - MAY, actually have been John Bonham from 1979 - 1980

studio sessions.

There were no studio sessions in 1980. The last time all four members entered the studio was December 1978 and they were definitely recording ITTOD.

There were no studio sessions in 1980. The last time all four members entered the studio was December 1978 and they were definitely recording ITTOD.

True. But again, nobody's talking about the full band. We all know that Jimmy had a ton of side projects he wanted to include in "future" Zeppelin releases.

What makes you think anything not recorded by all four members will be released under Zep's moniker?

There are songs recorded during the band's history in which not all four participated that have been released "under Zep's moniker," as you say -- I highly doubt some rumoured project from 1980 (that, frankly, sounds like more of a pipe-dream than anything else) will be included on the sets, however.

Multi track 1980 shows would be good, but there's so much better we can dream of. The 1980 shows weren't exactly Led Zeppelin's best. Something about Jimmy's tone on those European dates, I just don't like. Too much distortion and not enough volume or quantity of sound, I suppose. Don't know how to describe it. Can't compare it to his tone from 1971-73, when it was the ultimate. It just blended in so well with the music and the rest of the band. Just felt something was missing with this sound. Anyone else agree with this?

Multi track 1980 shows would be good, but there's so much better we can dream of. The 1980 shows weren't exactly Led Zeppelin's best. Something about Jimmy's tone on those European dates, I just don't like. Too much distortion and not enough volume or quantity of sound, I suppose. Don't know how to describe it. Can't compare it to his tone from 1971-73, when it was the ultimate. It just blended in so well with the music and the rest of the band. Just felt something was missing with this sound. Anyone else agree with this?

My dream release would be a multi tracked performance from the 1971 club tour. Would be really awesome if they had the performance were they played Black Dog for the first time, I mean, Plant sounds so god damn good on that song... it's really a shame the diference between his voice in '71 compared to two years later. One would never imagine. Basically, I think that I would be really happy with any show from 1971. Jimmy says that 1972 was their creative peak, but to me the 1971 shows are the best, hands down.

Well - there you have it! Thanks Geezer, we needed that definitive statement to give up all hope. Thank you!

Let me call Martin and let him know...

I've heard enough remixing and remastering personally. I can't wait for some of the alternate versions and unreleased songs (that aren't bootleg quality). ;)

Exactly! Enough of this regurgitation of Zeppelin material....why get the same thing over and over and over!

Any opinions on remixing ITTOD and maybe Coda? I think these two definitely need to be remixed.

If the MfiT tracks are representative of the base remasters, I think your opinion can be changed.

I definitely agree. The thing is, Jimmy's tone is not that bad as compared to his actual playing.

Yeah, the 1980 tour was not Zep at their best.

Not their best tour -- but it's unlikely that they multi-tracked more than one or two shows if at all. If those shows were Dortmund and Cologne...well, we could have a good release in our hands.

Exactly! Enough of this regurgitation of Zeppelin material....why get the same thing over and over and over!

Because that's the majority of what we'll get.

It's beginning to look like a Christmas release for these "Box Sets"...if at all this year.

MP2013

Like Celebration Day, I assume the initial announcement will be quite out-of-the-blue.

If the MfiT tracks are representative of the base remasters, I think your opinion can be changed.

I'm talking about remixing the entire album, not remastering it. The M4iT edition is a remaster, not a remix.

Not their best tour -- but it's unlikely that they multi-tracked more than one or two shows if at all. If those shows were Dortmund and Cologne...well, we could have a good release in our hands.

We have zero evidence that anything from 1980 was multitracked.

I'm talking about remixing the entire album, not remastering it. The M4iT edition is a remaster, not a remix.We have zero evidence that anything from 1980 was multitracked.

I know it was a remaster -- but the results blew me away, at least. I can't see them remixing the catalogue -- Jimmy was interested in 5.1 mixes years ago, but the stereo mixes are likely set in stone.

The only evidence of anything re: 1980 was the request I've mentioned in the thread, and the very odd sonic quality of the Dortmund SBD -- otherwise, you're right. A man can dream, though...

Most likely. I'm more interested in vinyl and/or hi-res digital releases.

Not me, I want hard copy.(Not vinyl, my turntable has been long retired) I'll do my own digital ripping..for my phone or ipod, ... or maybe not.

Archived