New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

It was said by someone here a few months ago, who had info on these sets that the live material was being remixed. That was all, I remember hearing about this and no other details were provided. So hopefully, live material will be included with these releases. I would think so, but who knows, until Jimmy gives us more tidbits on the details of such!

That came from an interview with Page, I think he said that there was going to be live material, or they were working on mixing it - something like that.

Now, just because he didn't mention live material in this latest interview doesn't mean it wont be included. Also It's still pretty murky on if these are going to be multiple disc sets, or if a couple might come in a box w/more material.

It's pretty typical with Deluxe editions to find some live material on some (not all) of the packages. Usually there aren't enough demos or outtakes to fill the second disc, so live tracks, and versions (karaoke) with vocals removed are thrown in as filler. Once again, refer to the Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions, as these are probably going to be similar to what Page is doing. I have the BS Deluxe editions, and I love them, but they are for the serious fan only. I suspect that a casual fan would find them quite cheesey. The model is usually one remastered studio disc, and a second disc with odds and sods, that are easy to understand why they did not see the light of day in the first place. Typically, the music on Deluxe editions could not stand on its own, as was seen with the songs on Coda; instead, the tracks can only survive on a companion disc to the original studio release, and are for interest's sake more than their content.

I really liked the deluxe version of Who's Next esp when it came to the bonus disc. I remember when it came it I wishing Zeppelin would do something like that. I also really like Marvin Gaye's What's going on - GREAT bonus disc of a full Wash DC concert + a coupe of other cool tracks. The question I have is - is it going to be LZ I with a bonus disc, if it is when will LZII come out & so on.

Or is it just one giant deluxe package/box?? Time will tell.....

It sounds like it'll be separate albums w/extra discs. As far as a release schedule....who knows. I'd think they'd want to get them all out pretty quick.

Perhaps they will release a giant box without the extra stuff like Pink Floyd did.

Going from the idea of the expanded Pink Floyd box sets. It would be grand if JP started releasing official bootlegs like Bob Dylans bootleg series or like what Pearl Jam do.

too much of a perfectionist for that. This is the guy who took the Stairway keyboard parts from Southampton and transplanted them into HTWWW because he thought it sounded better. That's just one example, but there's countless others from their live releases, aside from Celebration Day where they went raw on almost all of it. Jimmy's about making sure things sound as perfect as possible, whereas Dylan and Pearl Jam just let it be with live shows.

And quite sloppy in the studio as well. There's tons of mistakes in JPJ's keys on the studio albums too....all left just as they occurred.

I would think that the decision to replace the organ with the mellotron from Southampton would have been just as much Shirley's decision as it was Pages...they were both being mixed/considered for release at the same time.

Ten years ago Jimmy was initially inclined to approve or deny any changes to the original recordings made by Kevin Shirley, however they quickly established an abiding trust and rapport which continues to this day. Although Shirley no longer needed Page's approval to make changes to the original recordings, you can bet that when push comes to shove regarding content the final decision is always Jimmy's.

SAJ: You're right...let me alter my earlier statement -- the indications that I have seen and read are that while the final mixes were approved by Jimmy, he allowed Shirley to make the majority of the creative decisions that led to such mixes.

I still think we will have video and live cd's also dose anyone agree.

Well some folk would like that to happen, but this is the studio albums with a few tracks/outtakes and bits from the vaults added.

I don't know if anything is planned for TSRTS album though.

Well some folk would like that to happen, but this is the studio albums with a few tracks/outtakes and bits from the vaults added.

I don't know if anything is planned for TSRTS album though.

I wouldn't think he'd include this as part of this project, since we got the remasters on that back in 2007. No need to do it unless JP would want to add a couple of live tracks left off that addition. Only being a complete Black Dog and Thank You from the final night. This project involves the studio albums and no real reason to visit TSRTS again.

On LZ 3 there were over 20 tracks. 10 songs on Three. They have about a handful leftover. He has more than he is telling anyone.

They were all used at some point. Physical Graffiti, Houses Of The Holy and Coda have plenty of LZ III tracks.

I wouldn't think he'd include this as part of this project, since we got the remasters on that back in 2007. No need to do it unless JP would want to add a couple of live tracks left off that addition. Only being a complete Black Dog and Thank You from the final night. This project involves the studio albums and no real reason to visit TSRTS again.

Ah thanks, I did wonder if anything was planned for TSRTS amongst the reissues.

Ah thanks, I did wonder if anything was planned for TSRTS amongst the reissues.

I don't have specific info on this, it's just my guess. I think we'll be hearing the specifics of these soon. Exactly when, I don't know, but probably just into the New Year. Just a hunch!

Archived