New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Watching "Celebration Day" last night (EXCELLENT!), I was reminded of the re-issued albums we were promised a YEAR ago. Back then, I assumed we would've seen something by NOW. Yet, here we are, a YEAR later, and still nada. After reading through the previously posted comments, it looks like they'll finally START to arrive next year. I'm just left scratching my head at the whole ROLL OUT of it. You would think they would've issued at least the FIRST album THIS holiday season, making it a PERFECT Xmas gift for the Zephead (or music lover) on your list. Before the FANATICS start jumping on my head about how "true ART takes time, man," let's not forget that Led Zep is (and always was) a COMMERCIAL enterprise (and a VERY successful one at that!). I'm just left wondering if this was ALWAYS the plan, to start releasing them in 2014, over a YEAR after they were first mentioned publicly, or if they hit some UNFORESEEN delay in the process that PREVENTED them from releasing any product in the always LUCRATIVE holiday season?

Watching "Celebration Day" last night (EXCELLENT!), I was reminded of the re-issued albums we were promised a YEAR ago. Back then, I assumed we would've seen something by NOW. Yet, here we are, a YEAR later, and still nada. After reading through the previously posted comments, it looks like they'll finally START to arrive next year. I'm just left scratching my head at the whole ROLL OUT of it. You would think they would've issued at least the FIRST album THIS holiday season, making it a PERFECT Xmas gift for the Zephead (or music lover) on your list. Before the FANATICS start jumping on my head about how "true ART takes time, man," let's not forget that Led Zep is (and always was) a COMMERCIAL enterprise (and a VERY successful one at that!). I'm just left wondering if this was ALWAYS the plan, to start releasing them in 2014, over a YEAR after they were first mentioned publicly, or if they hit some UNFORESEEN delay in the process that PREVENTED them from releasing any product in the always LUCRATIVE holiday season?

I think you're over analyzing it. Jimmy has never been remotely credible about forecasting releases. He's about 10 years overdue on his solo album. I concluded long ago that this is something he works on when he is inspired to do so, and it'll be done when it's done. He knows full well that it will sell like hot cakes whether it's Christmas season, or not. I suspect that when there are no record fairs to attend, and it's raining outside, is when he sits down and works on this project.

i know this is a ye olde interview with the Caveman, but hahah hopefully someone holds him tight to his claims of "13 versions of dazed and confused" hahahahahahha. obviously he's speaking off the cuff, but would be very interesting to one day get a gauge from him of really all the things they have in quality that they've yet to release due to them not thinking the performance wasn't up to snuff.

Sounds like pagey has next to no clue how to store music too, assuming that as part of the restoration process for all the HTWWW and the Zep DVD that Shirley and his crew moved all the stuff Jimmy had in storage to a more climate-controlled, safe facility to preserve it better.

Just found this article from LAST year (2012) on some site called "ultimateclassicrock.com" while randomly surfing the web.

Read and have a LAUGH!

"Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page says he’s working on a number of projects for his old band, including remastering their nine albums as individual box sets. In an interview with Mojo, Page revealed that each will include extra music and bonus material.

“There are a number of Led Zeppelin projects that will come out next year because there are different versions of tracks that we have that can be added to the album so there will be box sets of material that will come out, starting next year,” Page said (Quote via NME). “There will be one box set per album with extra music that will surface.”

This story jives with earlier reports that Page was working with the classic songs, having headed up the effort to remaster their hits for previous box sets in the ’90s. Sources say the new Zep sets could follow the template introduced by Pink Floyd for their Immersion Box.

That would make nine box sets from Led Zeppelin in 2013. It took five years for them to release the 2007 performance at London’s O2 Arena, so one could be forgiven for being both excited and cautious of this ambitious time table. ‘Celebration Day,’ the live album featuring songs from the Dec. 2007 benefit concert, will be out on Nov. 19.

Consequence of Sound reports that artist Shepard Fairey has been chosen to re-design the artwork for the reissues. This certainly isn’t new ground, as classic rockers from the Who to Peter Gabriel are reconfiguring old albums to sell to fans."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........

Just found this article from LAST year (2012) on some site called "ultimateclassicrock.com" while randomly surfing the web.

Read and have a LAUGH!

[...]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........

Hilarious! (You need to refine your trolling technique.)

Superdave -

At this stage, one YEAR later, I'm OVER it, kinda like when you're HUNGRY, and after awhile, you can't satisfy that hunger for whatever reason, the hunger EVENTUALLY goes away. I was hungry/excited last year when I first heard the news. Now, they could be released WHENEVER. I'll just hold onto my COMPLETE recordings until, or IF, the day ever comes when these sets are released.

I hope it will be next year. There is a part of me that believes Jimmy will hold on to it all for as long as he can get away with, if we even get to see them at all. I hope next year.

I think we'll see the first releases by the first few months of the year. Just guessing.

And no further clarity on whether we can expect additional live material! It's a clever strategy when you think about it - generate renewed interest in the band by offering the existing catalog for streaming, then hook people into album purchases when the remastered and expanded editions (which presumably will not initially be streamable) come out.

I will actually buy the re-releases as I've never purchased the individual albums on CD. I bought the remastered boxed sets 1 and 2 in the early 90s and subsequently re-assembled the albums in lossless playlists. It will be nice to finally own the (expanded) individual albums.

Alice Cooper was talking about the new releases last night on his radio show. He said that Page said that each album will be released with the original disc and one companion disc with various outtakes and alternate versions. I personally think that they will be released individually, and replicate the Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions, which are the exact same format as noted above, with a main disc and a companion disc. Page seemed to be very proud of an alternate version of SIBLY, which he said was totally different than the album version.

I also picture them to look like the deluxe editions that have been coming out. Most recently White Light/White Heat by the Velvet Underground that came out last Tuesday.

Thank you for sharing that Alice Cooper talked about the boxsets. I was driving home in heavy snow so I forgot to listen to his show last night.

Not trolling, just pointing out the OBVIOUS. Sorry to shatter any ILLUSIONS.

Can you explain to me the impatience? I seriously do not understand. There is overwhelming evidence that this is both happening and being done so in true Zeppelin fashion of taking their time to do it right (O2 reunion ring any bells?). It's exciting, and the Robert and Jimmy have continuously mentioned it being worked on throughout the year, so where is the pessimism from? Is there an article from a respected source saying that they are just blowing smoke up our asses? Please post a link if so. God knows how impatient you must be when a movie gets delayed, or even worse when your wife doesn't hand you your dinner as you walk in the door after work.

although im looking forward to hearing other versions/demos etc, has anyone been thinking about the actual packaging? something like this http://www.amazon.com/McFarlane-Toys-3D-Album-Cover/dp/B000B8X07G for every box would turn me on!

just taking the 2D covers we know and love and making them something else! probably cost a fortune to make and to buy but as long as they don't sell out or are numbered, some of us might have a chance of getting hold of the good stuff

Can you explain to me the impatience? I seriously do not understand. There is overwhelming evidence that this is both happening and being done so in true Zeppelin fashion of taking their time to do it right (O2 reunion ring any bells?). It's exciting, and the Robert and Jimmy have continuously mentioned it being worked on throughout the year, so where is the pessimism from? Is there an article from a respected source saying that they are just blowing smoke up our asses? Please post a link if so. God knows how impatient you must be when a movie gets delayed, or even worse when your wife doesn't hand you your dinner as you walk in the door after work.

lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived