New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I can't see them allowing any new press about be out before press conference about the boxsets on the 20th.

If that's even a thing/still on...

It would be great if they took that unreleased material and added to it, changed it, updated it and so on and release it as a new album!

That would be awful. I hope they didn't do anything of the sort.

Kind of like "Han didn't shoot first" thing?

It would be much worse...

Seems like a such a waste to not run with the unreleased songs, and mess around with them and release a new album with it

I have to believe that's a minority view, sorry. I can't imagine Robert wanting to do that, to start with. Just let me hear it the way it was, back in the day.

Seems like a such a waste to not run with the unreleased songs, and mess around with them and release a new album with it

I have to believe that's a minority view, sorry. I can't imagine Robert wanting to do that, to start with. Just let me hear it the way it was, back in the day.

Although it is highly improbable that they would make a new album by fixing old songs, it was done with Coda to some degree, as we saw with Walter's Walk and We're Gonna Groove. Both are interesting concepts, but I see them just releasing the old tracks, as they were, with some minor touch ups for fidelity's sake. Both very agreeable options to me.

I would expect most of what we will be getting is stuff we've already had. I'm still hopeful for a few gems that we haven't heard yet though.

Agreed. Some live stuff has been confirmed too. If these are like all the other expanded editions out there by other bands, there may be the odd unheard gem, but mostly I would expect rough demos with guide vocals. Other things I have seen on Deluxe Editions include, alternate takes, and instrumental tracks with vocals removed. I have also seen is a previously released song, but with an alternate solo; an example could be Stairway with one of the other 4 solos that Jimmy recorded....just an example. In most cases, there is little to really get excited about, but as super fans, I'm sure we will get a kick out of the new treats. Funny thing is, that after one listen to the various Deluxe Editions that I have bought, I have never gone back for a second listen, even though I enjoyed the experience. There is a reason this material never saw the light of day, and although fun to have, not much to get thrilled about. From what Jimmy has said repeatedly, the true treasure sounds like it will be an alternate version of SIBLY. I love the XYZ material, and would like to see that, but I doubt it very much. I'm excited, but I'm also keeping my expectations very low, so as not to be disappointed. I am grateful to have Coda in my collection, and I bought the LP the day that it came out, but it only took a couple of listens before the thrill was gone. Today, it only gets played on occasion.

I would be shocked if Jimmy releases these box sets with no mind blowing surprises. These sets almost certainly represent the last generation of remasters and lost treasures of the Led Zeppelin catalog.

There is nothing left after these releases. Nothing.

So it's now or never , while we have 3 living members and the fine son of the 4th, that the gloves come off.

Jimmy has been so quiet for so long that the time has come to speak loud and clear for his beloved band - and hopefully these box sets reveal all.

Agreed. Some live stuff has been confirmed too. If these are like all the other expanded editions out there by other bands, there may be the odd unheard gem, but mostly I would expect rough demos with guide vocals. Other things I have seen on Deluxe Editions include, alternate takes, and instrumental tracks with vocals removed. I have also seen is a previously released song, but with an alternate solo; an example could be Stairway with one of the other 4 solos that Jimmy recorded....just an example. In most cases, there is little to really get excited about, but as super fans, I'm sure we will get a kick out of the new treats. Funny thing is, that after one listen to the various Deluxe Editions that I have bought, I have never gone back for a second listen, even though I enjoyed the experience. There is a reason this material never saw the light of day, and although fun to have, not much to get thrilled about. From what Jimmy has said repeatedly, the true treasure sounds like it will be an alternate version of SIBLY. I love the XYZ material, and would like to see that, but I doubt it very much. I'm excited, but I'm also keeping my expectations very low, so as not to be disappointed. I am grateful to have Coda in my collection, and I bought the LP the day that it came out, but it only took a couple of listens before the thrill was gone. Today, it only gets played on occasion.

As long as none of it is newly created, as in they mixed it in the last two years specifically to create content, I will be happy. Getting (in theory) 1st gen copies of some of those alt mixes or demos that we already have would be quite phenominal. I have hope for something completely mind blowing, but like you, I am keeping my expectations low. I am mainly looking forward to new transfers of the origonal studio albums.

We also have to understand that the average fan isn't a super fan. The majority of the people who listen to Zeppelin probably haven't heard half the stuff we have.

Edit: I mean, I might be ok with it if they recorded a new song based around an unused Bonham drum track...that would be epic.

As long as none of it is newly created, as in they mixed it in the last two years specifically to create content, I will be happy. Getting (in theory) 1st gen copies of some of those alt mixes or demos that we already have would be quite phenominal. I have hope for something completely mind blowing, but like you, I am keeping my expectations low. I am mainly looking forward to new transfers of the origonal studio albums.

We also have to understand that the average fan isn't a super fan. The majority of the people who listen to Zeppelin probably haven't heard half the stuff we have.

I'd imagine a lot of what we'll be getting will be new mixes of old material. Not remixes of the official takes/mixes, but of alternates.

I'd imagine a lot of what we'll be getting will be new mixes of old material. Not remixes of the official takes/mixes, but of alternates.

Please, Jimmy, don't pull another fake like the We're Gonna Groove "studio" take....

I'll second that emotion. I grind my teeth when I play that song. It's very nice to have, but there isn't alot of dignity in that track.

Wait, what? Why? I must have missed something, what's wrong with the studio take of We're Gonna Goove?

I absolutely love that song...

I would be shocked if Jimmy releases these box sets with no mind blowing surprises. These sets almost certainly represent the last generation of remasters and lost treasures of the Led Zeppelin catalog.

There is nothing left after these releases. Nothing.

So it's now or never , while we have 3 living members and the fine son of the 4th, that the gloves come off.

Jimmy has been so quiet for so long that the time has come to speak loud and clear for his beloved band - and hopefully these box sets reveal all.

Eh...I can almost guarantee that there will be future releases of Led Zeppelin, separate from these boxes.

Please, Jimmy, don't pull another fake like the We're Gonna Groove "studio" take....

The need shouldn't be there.

Correct, and highly overdubbed by Jimmy in 1982.

Izzy, no offence. It's personal taste, but as was stated earlier, it's a live track made to sound like a studio track, and that compromises the experience for me.

A couple of guitar overdubs...do you shy away from certain "live" releases (including the original TSRTS) for the same reason? Or, for that matter, several releases by other artists that are such hybrids?

A couple of guitar overdubs...do you shy away from certain "live" releases (including the original TSRTS) for the same reason? Or, for that matter, several releases by other artists that are such hybrids?

I like what I like. Simple. And I don't believe that I need to justify that to you. I assume that you love everything and don't distinguish between favorites and least favorites?

Would you like Glyn to explain his We're Gonna Groove "fake" comment to you as well?

Dumb question.

I like what I like. Simple. And I don't believe that I need to justify that to you. I assume that you love everything and don't distinguish between favorites and least favorites?

Would you like Glyn to explain his We're Gonna Groove "fake" comment to you as well?

Dumb question.

Whoa there -- a bit testy? I feel like my dig at the original TSRTS is valid, but otherwise, I was just wondering how you'd feel about music like Cream's "Crossroads," or better yet, an album like Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps?

Whoa there -- a bit testy? I feel like my dig at the original TSRTS is valid, but otherwise, I was just wondering how you'd feel about music like Cream's "Crossroads," or better yet, an album like Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps?

Nice try. I like what I like, and we all like or dislike different songs for different reasons. This wasn't about (guitar overdub) principle, which is what you were trying to imply. My concern with the song involved more than overdubs, and also included the fact that it was a live track that had been sanitized and held out as a studio track, which it wasn't; or as Glyn stated, "a fake". Considering that the vast majority of Zeppelin studio songs have multi tracked and overdubbed guitars, I don't see why you would think that that was the sole issue. I'm not the only one here who expressed reservations about the track. The true context of the discussion is that some of us hope not to see the same tact taken with the new Deluxe Editions.

Correct, and highly overdubbed by Jimmy in 1982.

Izzy, no offence. It's personal taste, but as was stated earlier, it's a live track made to sound like a studio track, and that compromises the experience for me.

Question My Lord,... :) I read in one of my LZ books that 'Were going groove.' Was from the sound check for RAH? The overdubbed for Coda???

Thoughts?

I thought Jimmy "threw" together the tracks for CODA to satisfy a contractual agreement with Atlantic Records?

No one from the Band really liked CODA due to the messy sampling of tracks and some poor production that all agreed were below Zeppelin standards.

If the contract fulfillment was the basis for CODA - can't Jimmy be forgiven for his editing of live or studio tracks?

That said, We're Gonna Groove is miles better than Darlene or Ozone Baby IMO...

can't Jimmy be forgiven for his editing of live or studio tracks?

Absolutely! This discussion wasn't about denigrating We're Gonna Groove. It was about a point that Glyn made, that he (and I agreed) would prefer not to see "that" strategy employed on the new sets. If he does choose to execute that strategy, then I would prefer that the information about it be factual, and not evolve from a studio track with overdubs, to a sound check with overdubs, to a live track sanitized to remove the audience sounds and then overdubbed. For what it is, the song is pretty good, but not one of my favorites. Same with the Coda version of I Can't Quit You Babe, and for the same reasons. Jimmy needs no foregiveness. He is the man, and we should be grateful for anything we get. I fully understand that, but in the interim we can still hope for certain things, and not others, based on personal preference. Now, back to the anticipation and excitement; it'll be great no matter what, because we are all hungry, and loyal fans. Nirvana, thanks for raising the question. I did not mean to imply that there is anything truly wrong or bad about the song. It's just not my cup of tea, per-se, but hey, I love The Crunge!!!!

Archived