New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

MP3's basically throw away information while a compressed wav (FLAC), as long as it sourced from a lossless wav, does not. It will always be inherently better. Vinyl sounds better as long as it isn't damaged and you have your table set up correctly. Also, low vinyl record production is to blame for high gas prices? That's absolutely preposterous.

It would be nice to have a 24/96 FLAC option for people who are looking for higher resolution digital files.

Obviously you and anyone who took that comment serious doesn't have a sense of humour!?

Then again unless you spell things out or put up an emoticon some people just don't get it.

Sad really that they need that shit to raise a smile let alone a laugh.

I learnt years ago that with all the counterweights and other bullshit, all you need is a decent stylus on your turntable, pump up the volume and away you go scratches and all.

Once again things are way too over-complicated.

Ah...well...with the other stuff that's in this thread you very well could have been being serious. :P

You are absolutely right, all you really need is a decent stylus (that is semi-aligned). Scratches don't bother me unless there's one through a whole side.

They ought to produce vynil again. Then again nobody cares about real music anyway, so you can have your mp3 whenever you want on your ipod....

I still have my Presence LP and I absolutely love the quality I get playing it through my Quartz turntable. Following our logic, anything compressed through a computer would have a worst quality than anything produced in analog (I.E. recorded on Reel to reel and/or cassete), no?

Thats all some people can listen to... Maybe Jimmy can buy them all great new set ups that some of those people cant afford... I only listen in car so I certainly want cd's and car stereos to stick around but if we hope for new generations of listeners- they are going with downloaded music-herei n the states I think I am only person I know that still has a car cd player and not plug in for ipod. I have maybe one friend in ten that has big sound system and he filed for bankruptcy in the end and sold about half of his 3000 cd's..

PS can someone help me out what is a "man cave"?...I heard that on tv the other day too and have no idea what it means...I am serious not sarcastic...I really had not heard this before last week

is Page bound by copyright laws so as to not alter the material? I see that doing a box set pushes that aside somewhat insofar as you are creating a "new" item. He cannot however go in and alter the mix of a track that is under current copyright.

For instance, he can go in and reduce the hiss on GTC and clean up some of the bleed over and some of the others. Seems to me he does have free reign on anything not previously released which could be interesting beyond just the initial curiosity of it. Much of the rehearsals were picked up through room mics rather than isolated so it could be amazing in feel.

is Page bound by copyright laws so as to not alter the material? I see that doing a box set pushes that aside somewhat insofar as you are creating a "new" item. He cannot however go in and alter the mix of a track that is under current copyright.

For instance, he can go in and reduce the hiss on GTC and clean up some of the bleed over and some of the others. Seems to me he does have free reign on anything not previously released which could be interesting beyond just the initial curiosity of it. Much of the rehearsals were picked up through room mics rather than isolated so it could be amazing in feel.

I believe he can manage the tracks whenever he wants. When you are the composer it doesn't matter if the material is copyrighted, as long as it comes from your head, you can use it and even record over it as much as you wish. Now, releasing the material would be another thing that would envolve record labels and lawyers and some other nasty stuff.

Page ran into some fences with Warner Bros whilst redoing The Song Remains the Same. They shut him down on some things he wanted to do due to the material being under current copyright.

You mean the movie? Because that's a whole different branch.

I don't know if copyright prevents creating new mixes- The Doors did it a few years ago -remixed and remastered...but the source masters remains the same

PS i think it was MOVIE SRTS ...he wanted to put the Ocean in it among other things and it had to be a special feature on dvd instead...

Page ran into some fences with Warner Bros whilst redoing The Song Remains the Same. They shut him down on some things he wanted to do due to the material being under current copyright.

He could do whatever he wanted with the audio but couldn't even touch the visuals. That's why bonus tracks are presented as extras.

He could do whatever he wanted with the audio but couldn't even touch the visuals. That's why bonus tracks are presented as extras.

Regrettably he still opted to present a chopped up and edited down version of black dog. I understood the whole "pure soundtrack" concept I just wish they would have treated the two separately and really tried to give at least an ultimate audio document of the MSG 73 shows.........I digress

Page should hopefully be able to do whatever he wants with these box sets and if done right they could be awesome. If its anything like pink Floyd's immersion stuff, it'll be a real treat for hardcore fans

I think it is good to recall here old interview with Jimmy which was posted in another topic.

LED ZEPPELIN: A Live Discovery

Led Zeppelin fans who trade tapes are singing a happy tune. An audience tape of the band's last concert of 1970 -- September 19th at New York's Madison Square Garden -- is now making the rounds on the Internet. Often called the best show the band did that year, it's two-and-a-half hours long and includes covers of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl," Little Richard's "The Girl Can't Help It" and Eddie Cochran's "20 Flight Rock," as well as a tribute to Jimi Hendrix, who died the day before.

Last year, when Zeppelin went into their vaults and came out with the Led Zeppelin D-V-D and How the West Was Won C-D, we asked Jimmy Page what else was left. He told us, "What there is, is some very, very interesting early mixes of songs... and alternative version of songs, too." Page says he'd like to release that material and to remix the Zeppelin catalog in surround sound.

Jimmy Page on what's left in Led Zeppelin's archives.

"What there is, is some very, very interesting sort of early mixes of songs. Alternative mixes and alternative version of songs too. Maybe it will take another 20 years for those things to come out but it's something I'd really like to listen to them all again and just see. But of course you know there's quite a movement, and I'm helping to promote it, towards five-one. So that's another area with the studio albums. It's all in time. We'll see what unfolds."

Maybe Led Zeppelin want to show us how each album was done.

May I ask, why 5.1? I mean, it's in my possibilities, but I can't see an average Joe having 5 speakers to play that and enjoy it as Jimmy intends.

I seriously doubt that this will be the "new material" he's working on.

There's an awful lot of passion in this thread, which is nice, but surely we should be celebrating in the light of this tantalisingly audio-orgasmic news?

:thumbsup:

O my brothers, my sisters, let us unite against our common enemy. The Judean People's Front? No, no, Simon Cowell. Oh, right.

:hysterical:

well I think some of the passion people arent rejoicing about is the prospect of these in 5;1 sound which would eliminate a lot of people from being audience to them Also I am not am MP3 person at the moment but that's all the people I know have...and all this talk about records...I got plenty that skipped or had scratches and would never go back I have had 3 defective cd's out of maybe 400 in 20 years...the % of malfunctioning vinyl was significantly higher...I am celebrating Celebration Day to the max...the rest I'll decide on when and if I see it...No disrespect to jimmy intended -The Greatest of all time.

Jimmy Page has suffered from a total lack of artistic output over the years since 1980 - period.

Robert Plant stands as the only true representative of creative spark within the remaining Zeppelin Camp - period.

The fact that Jimmy IS the Kepper of the Zeppelin Flame - True! Otherwise why spend so much time

re-recording the oft-times re-recorded Zeppelin Library...

I love Jimmy but cannot put any spin on his lack of Individual creativity and new product for his fans.

That said - What Jimmy has done to preserve the Record of Led Zeppelin is invaluable.

Let's face it "We are not on Zeppelin Time" so the years have passed so slowly while waiting for Jimmy to be, well - Jimmy.

I cant agree with that. IMO Coverdale/Page is over all, the most "Zeppelinesque" album done by any of the three post 1980 (With Death Wish 2 coming in second IMO). Maybe Page hasnt been as prolific, but he's put out quality material in my mind.

Archived