New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Since this is only a trial version of Prime and I can cancel within the 30 days and not be charged, will I still get the free shipping as a pre-order, since these will not ship until after my free trial of prime ends?

I'm no Amazon expert but I'm thinking that 30 days is 30 days. You haven't actually purchased till the release date in June and you won't have Amazon Prime then. I tell you, I love Amazon Prime - the annual rate has gone up from $75 to $99 per year now but I know my shipping costs are more than that each year. However, I don't live near "civilization" and don't have the option of purchasing in stores - your experience may vary.

I was looking into that scheme too. I even asked Amazon how it works. If you don't have Prime when they ship, you won't get 2-day shipping. And, if you order, and then start Prime during the shipping timeframe, you won't get 2-day shipping then, either. You have to have Prime when you order AND when it ships.

I wouldn't call Amazon Prime a "scheme". If it's OK with pre-purchasers that they can count on the purchase price to not be higher than when they ordered, and possibly even lower, it seems only fair that the Amazon Prime would only apply if you ordered and your Prime account was active throughout.

I wouldn't call Amazon Prime a "scheme". If it's OK with pre-purchasers that they can count on the purchase price to not be higher than when they ordered, and possibly even lower, it seems only fair that the Amazon Prime would only apply if you ordered and your Prime account was active throughout.

I don't mean Prime is a scheme. It's a great service. Just meant using the trial period to get free two-day shipping on the sets, and then cancelling.

I don't mean Prime is a scheme. It's a great service. Just meant using the trial period to get free two-day shipping on the sets, and then cancelling.

OK. I admit, when I first got Prime that scheme was my plan. But I liked it so much that I just decided to go with it. Like I said above, though - I don't live near stores so I buy a lot online and shipping costs are a big factor in where I'll buy.

In my opinion some of the first album outtakes in circulation as bootlegs would have made a great companion disc. The audio quality, content and historical importance of them are all five stars. However, by including live material on the first set Jimmy has purposefully left the door open for the inclusion of additional live material on some of the other releases down the road.

.....providing he's still around to supervise it. Wonder what'll happen to all the archive material re: authorisation for future releases etc. when he 'shuffles off', as it were.

I think if he were of a certain mindset he'd specify that everything is torched in the event of his demise, just so that there's no future releases of stuff in the vein of the Hendrix catalogue (for example) during the 70's'/80's i.e. blatant record company profiteering on substandard 'goods'.

I'm of the opinion that this will be 'it' for the Zep catalogue.

I think if he were of a certain mindset he'd specify that everything is torched in the event of his demise, just so that there's no future releases of stuff in the vein of the Hendrix catalogue (for example) during the 70's'/80's i.e. blatant record company profiteering on substandard 'goods'.

If people are willing to steal tapes (and guitars) from him and nobody gets busted for it, I'm guessing that his executors would just ignore any torching directive. You know, based on the "for the good of the many" principle. Or the "greedy bastards" principle.

Forum technical question: Why is there a box in the lower right hand corner of the screen that says "With 1 checked posts" and then a down arrow that does nothing, and then a Go button? It never goes away, I can't make it do anything, and it blocks the corner of the screen needlessly. It doesn't appear anywhere but in this particular forum. Thanks in advance for any explanation or help with how to get rid of it.

.....providing he's still around to supervise it. Wonder what'll happen to all the archive material re: authorisation for future releases etc. when he 'shuffles off', as it were.

I'm of the opinion that this will be 'it' for the Zep catalogue.

Frankly, I think it's astonishing there's still popular demand for this music more than 40 years after it's initial release. Just when you think it's popularity is going to taper off there is another resurgence of interest and sales. For that reason alone I suppose we can never say never as far as future releases, particularly as they all have children who could represent each band member's estate with regard to any posthumous releases. Kevin Shirley, Dick Carruthers or whomever could carry on with the essential production duties. Heck, remember the 1990 boxed set was billed as "the definitive edition" and look how many times that material has been repackaged, remastered and re-released since then.

Alan Douglas almost single-handedly ruined Jimi Hendrix' recorded legacy, but thank God the Hendrix family ultimately regained control over it and have since overseen a number of critically-acclaimed posthumous official releases.

I assume it directs you to a URL where you download the files, probably after entering a (one-use-only?) password, which would be included on the card.

Probably but I hope its a little more than one shot, I had something similar once and it said it was downloaded and then I couldnt locate it on my pc. I also had a hard drive fry once and lost everything.

Question to you SUPER fans (some would say fanatics) out there, those who know of the various BOOTLEGS and additional tracks that exist: since the companion disc to "LZ" is only a live performance, does that mean that there were NO additional tracks from that period to release, or that the tracks that are available are not of a sufficient QUALITY, either audio-wise or content-wise, to be OFFICIALLY released? Thanks!

There are these tracks floating around for Led Zeppelin. I imagine they were left off because Page didn't want to include multiple versions of one song - and there aren't enough to fill out a cd. They are all studio recordings, and the sound is release quality (with a little bit of work)

Babe I'm gonna leave you (take #8)

Babe I'm gonna leave you (take #9)

You shook me (take 1)

Baby come home (take 1)

Baby come home (take 2)

Baby come home (take 3) (probably the one released on CODA)

Guitar-organ instrumentals (7 takes total)

I was looking into that scheme too. I even asked Amazon how it works. If you don't have Prime when they ship, you won't get 2-day shipping. And, if you order, and then start Prime during the shipping timeframe, you won't get 2-day shipping then, either. You have to have Prime when you order AND when it ships.

I might start a trial around May 5th and redo my order, if the price is right. :)

I'm no Amazon expert but I'm thinking that 30 days is 30 days. You haven't actually purchased till the release date in June and you won't have Amazon Prime then. I tell you, I love Amazon Prime - the annual rate has gone up from $75 to $99 per year now but I know my shipping costs are more than that each year. However, I don't live near "civilization" and don't have the option of purchasing in stores - your experience may vary.

Thanks all for the info.

I may reorder these, but my copies that I ordered a couple of days ago will probably be the numbered ones. We'll see what the prices of these sets are as the shipping dates near. If they're lower than I'll be paying now, I may re do my order and get another trial of prime and if the sets don't go down, I just may suck up the $12 or so shipping costs. I won't do the standard free shipping as I want these sets on release day.

Thanks all for the info.

I may reorder these, but my copies that I ordered a couple of days will probably be the numbered ones. We'll see what the prices of these sets are as the shipping dates near. If they're lower than I'll be paying now, I may re do my order and get another trial of prime and if the sets don't go down, I just may suck up the $12 or so shipping costs. I won't do the standard free shipping as I want these sets on release day.

I burnt my free Prime membership trial earlier this year, so I paid the $12.

When I pre-ordered Celebration Day I think I used the free shipping option, and I got it on the release day....I didn't want to take a chance this time though :P

Thanks all for the info.

I may reorder these, but my copies that I ordered a couple of days ago will probably be the numbered ones.

That's an interesting thought. I don't know how they'd handle that. "SuperDave ordered on March 13th, and Joe Blow on May 29th, so make sure SuperDave gets a numbered one." It might work that way...but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the order off the printer, grab the next super deluxe, put it in your box, and off it goes.

Would Amazon even know which ones have the numbered art?

That's an interesting thought. I don't know how they'd handle that. "SuperDave ordered on March 13th, and Joe Blow on May 29th, so make sure SuperDave gets a numbered one." It might work that way...but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the order off the printer, grab the next super deluxe, put it in your box, and off it goes.

Would Amazon even know which ones have the numbered art?

That's quite interesting. Personally, I think the earlier you order it, the better chance you should have of getting a numbered copy. I know each album will have 30K numbered copies. It said on the press release that day, that the first 30,000 of each album will be numbered copies. I'm sure those of us who ordered the first day were in the first 30K to order these. Hope they do this the right way.

Just wondering if anyone here has any info on how this will be done?

It said on the press release that day, that the first 30,000 of each album will be numbered copies.

The first 30,000 of the vinyl? The first 30,000 of the super deluxe? Surely I wouldn't be so lucky for it to include CD albums! Wouldn't that be nice!

The numbered editions might not even be available through Amazon. They may have some, but I would not be surprised if all or some were shipped to other independent retailers, such as JB HiFi, etc. There is probably no way of knowing until you open the box, sort of like ITTOD. I would be shocked if Amazon got the exclusive on these. The first 30,000 off the presses were probably numbered and will be shipped to various retailers around the globe. I did not get the impression that Amazon had all 30,000. Some of the numbered boxes could conceivably sit in small local stores for some time before they are purchased.

The numbered editions might not even be available through Amazon. They may have some, but I would not be surprised if all or some were shipped to independent retailers, such as JB HiFi, etc. There is probably no way of knowing until you open the box, sort of like ITTOD. I would be shocked if Amazon got the exclusive on these. The first 30,000 off the presses were probably numbered and will be shipped to various retailers around the globe. I did not get the impression that Amazon had all 30,000.

It's a fine destinction, but let's not forget: the sets are not numbered. The original artwork is what's numbered. Therefore, is there anyway of knowing if a sealed super deluxe is numbered? Time will tell.

It's a fine destinction, but let's not forget: the sets are not numbered. The original artwork is what's numbered. Therefore, is there anyway of knowing if a sealed super deluxe is numbered? Time will tell.

As I said, I suspect that there is no way of knowing by looking at the box. The first 30,000 people around the globe to order these sets from Amazon are likely not guaranteed to get a numbered print in the box, and that is because the limited edition boxes are likely being distributed amongst the pre-orders of retailers all around the globe. Unless there is a note stating that this is an Amazon exclusive, I would never assume that placing an order on opening day is going to get me one. I may be wrong, but I have never been successful in the past by being first in line to pre-order. The point of distinction here is that the note does not say that the first 30,000 Amazon purchasers get a numbered print. It says that the first 30,000 (manufactured) have a numbered print. The 500,000th customer could conceivably still get one if he buys from the right retailer. Only time will tell, but I would not get my hopes up that an early pre-order is guaranteed to be the answer to securing a numbered print.

Since it was first being linked to their official website, I would believe the super deluxe pre-ordered through here would definitely be part of the 30,000 numbered series.

Sam, do you have any information about this?

Since it was first being linked to their official website, I would believe the super deluxe pre-ordered through here would definitely be part of the 30,000 numbered series.

Sam, do you have any information about this?

Let's hope. The language is certainly not unequivocal about this, and there were lots of other retailers accepting pre-orders on Day 1, all around the world. The other consideration is this: even if this is an Amazon exclusive, all 30,000 copies aren't likely to be going to the .com site. There are many Amazon sites around the world, such as .de, .uk, .ca, .fr. I wouldn't think that they would only offer these up to the .ca site, for example, unless each site gets 30,000 to distribute. If that's the case, then these are a whole lot less rare than one might think. I am certainly not bagging on the marketing, but as they say, "Once bitten twice shy", and there are possible logistics to consider here in terms of your actual probability of getting one of these. Anyway, for what its worth, my order was placed to the tune of $835. Ouch.

Fingers crossed.

As I said, I suspect that there is no way of knowing by looking at the box. The first 30,000 people around the globe to order these sets from Amazon are likely not guaranteed to get a numbered print in the box, and that is because the limited edition boxes are likely being distributed amongst the pre-orders of retailers all around the globe. Unless there is a note stating that this is an Amazon exclusive, I would never assume that placing an order on opening day is going to get me one. I may be wrong, but I have never been successful in the past by being first in line to pre-order. The point of distinction here is that the note does not say that the first 30,000 Amazon purchasers get a numbered print. It says that the first 30,000 (manufactured) have a numbered print. The 500,000th customer could conceivably still get one if he buys from the right retailer. Only time will tell, but I would not get my hopes up that an early pre-order is guaranteed to be the answer to securing a numbered print.

Entirely sensible. And I personally don't expect to lose any sleep if I don't land one that's numbered. It seems to be out of my control anyway.

Entirely sensible. And I personally don't expect to lose any sleep if I don't land one that's numbered. I seems to be out of my control anyway.

Yeah, me too. It is what it is. I just wanted to point the possible issues out so that people can go into this with eyes wide open. I could be entirely wrong as well. Who knows? I could care less also, but a numbered print would be a nice surprise.

Archived