New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Yes, DL, I have a CD player, and play CDs on my laptop. My thinking is that by purchasing the CDs and ripping them to other media, I am getting the best of both worlds. The only thing that would have stopped me doing so, would be if the sound would have been vastly inferior to ITunes downloads, but from what the others above have been saying, it looks like this wouldn't be the case.

The only thing I would disagree with you on is CDs as an investment. At the moment, in the UK at least, the resale price you get for them is negligible.

Do you have a CD player? CD's are an investment too, and you can still upload to your iTunes library. Again, it's personal choice, but I like to factor investment and finances in to the equation. I'm not judging your decisions; they obviously work for you on some level. It's just that I have a massive digital library too, that I derived from the physical product, and I have something that is worth money at the end of the day.

Yes, DL, I have a CD player, and play CDs on my laptop. My thinking is that by purchasing the CDs and ripping them to other media, I am getting the best of both worlds. The only thing that would have stopped me doing so, would be if the sound would have been vastly inferior to ITunes downloads, but from what the others above have been saying, it looks like this wouldn't be the case.

The only thing I would disagree with you on is CDs as an investment. At the moment, in the UK at least, the resale price you get for them is negligible.

I agree that CD's are less of an investment than vinyl is, but in 1990, LP's were worth peanuts too, because everybody was dumping them for CD's. Investment implies a waiting period, before a return is realized, but if you dowload an album for $20, or buy the physical product for $20 and upload it, you can still sell the CD (today) for half of what you paid for it. Your loss would be half of what your loss is for a download, which will always be worthless on the secondary market. I personally think that chasing the "best sound" is erroneous, because it only means something if you have have something to compare it to. What I can say, is that I have made many thousands of dollars by treating music as an investment. My Classic Records alone put about $3000 of pure profit in my pocket, and I still have a copy of each to enjoy. Buying multiple copies may not be for everyone, but I would encourage people to still treat their purchases as investments. CD's being pressed today are being pressed in drastically reduced numbers than years ago. By virtue of this fact, they will be far more collectible in the future, based simply on the supply curve. Today's desire for CD's does not mean that they are not a good investment for the future. Again, I don't judge you, but I wanted to share my experiences. I have won and I have lost, but generally, my physical media are worth much, much more, on average, than what I paid for them. Ultimately, you're happiness is all that matters, irrespective of what I think.

I agree that CD's are less of an investment than vinyl is, but in 1990, LP's were worth peanuts too, because everybody was dumping them for CD's. Investment implies a waiting period, before a return is realized, but if you dowload an album for $20, or buy the physical product for $20 and upload it, you can still sell the CD (today) for half of what you paid for it. Your loss would be half of what your loss is for a download, which will always be worthless on the secondary market. I personally think that chasing the "best sound" is erroneous, because it only means something if you have have something to compare it to. What I can say, is that I have made many thousands of dollars by treating music as an investment. My Classic Records alone put about $3000 of pure profit in my pocket, and I still have a copy of each to enjoy. Buying multiple copies may not be for everyone, but I would encourage people to still treat their purchases as investments. CD's being pressed today are being pressed in drastically reduced numbers than years ago. By virtue of this fact, they will be far more collectible in the future, based simply on the supply curve. Today's desire for CD's does not mean that they are not a good investment for the future. Again, I don't judge you, but I wanted to share my experiences. I have won and I have lost, but generally, my physical media are worth much, much more, on average, than what I paid for them. Ultimately, you're happiness is all that matters, irrespective of what I think.

Are you buying multiples of the Super Deluxe sets? Or just multiple vinyl?

In September, 2008, when David Gilmour released his Live in Gdansk set, I bought five or six of the 5-disc box, sold all but one (that same month) and ended up making about $30, so I know of what you speak...generally.

Are you buying multiples of the Super Deluxe sets? Or just multiple vinyl?

In September, 2008, when David Gilmour released his Live in Gdansk set, I bought five or six of the 5-disc box, sold all but one (that same month) and ended up making about $30, so I know of what you speak...generally.

Well, this is where the old saying comes in, "You have to spend money to make money". I bought 1 box, and multiples of the vinyl, but the price will come down, and there will be sales in the future, and that is when I will pick up what I think will make me some money in the future. Like most, I can only afford so much, and I am not advocating multiple purchases for everyone, but reducing loss is also a consideration. Buying a CD for $20 is a better financial decision than buying a digital download for $20. Another example is the Classic Records BBC box. I bought it for $50, and could easily sell it for $200-$400 today. I just want people to consider one simple fact: a physical item is always worth more than a download, and it can still be uploaded to iTunes, and quite easily if it's a CD. Everyone who dumped their LP's in 1990 thought they were doing the right thing, but the vast majority today lament that decision. The same will be true 10 years from now when people look at the decision they made today, and realize that the physical product would have been the best of both worlds, and would have potentially appreciated in value. Incidentally, the biggest percentage increases in value have been seen in the vinyl that has been released post 1990. Limited runs have made it an excellent investment. Individual experiences may vary, and I'm only here to share, and not to judge. :)

I agree that it is a personal choice, but I disagree with your comment that the decision should come down to what sounds best. For me, the medium is most important, and it is only an assumption to think that a CD or download has the best sound, unless you've compared the various media, including vinyl. It's a generational thing, I believe, but younger folks today tend to get caught up in the minutia, and sacrifice investment potential. I have been able to finance my collections by selling duplicate purchases over the years, and buying for enjoyment AND investment is a better consideration than buying digital files, IMHO.

I don't sit in judgement, but I do think that folks would be better to consider music as a commodity that has resale value, as opposed to a virtual file that has no real value, beyond an emotional value to the original purchaser.

It's just a difference of what we're looking for, I guess. My point was that what sounds good to you is what matters, not necessarily what others tell you. ;)

Re-sale value means nothing to me because (at least for now) I have no intention of selling my collection. I don't really care about the format, either...it's the music that counts, at least to me. I'm into the experience for the aural pleasure I derive.

It's just a difference of what we're looking for, I guess. My point was that what sounds good to you is what matters, not necessarily what others tell you. ;)

Re-sale value means nothing to me because (at least for now) I have no intention of selling my collection. I don't really care about the format, either...it's the music that counts, at least to me. I'm into the experience for the aural pleasure I derive.

Yup, and that's fair enough. Just keep what I said in the back of your mind as there may be an opportunity in the future for you to balance sound and investment.....if you so desire. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

I like to avoid mp3 when I can, would rather have the physical and make my own mp3, theres only a four dollar difference between the mp3 and the double cd set so either the cd is cheap or the mp3 overpriced but to me its worth it to spend the extra four bucks in this case. I tend to only go mp3 when its half the cost of the cd or of course when cd's are unavailable. I'm into a lot of Scandinavian fusion and mp3's are way cheaper than the cd when they are even available.

Yup, and that's fair enough. Just keep what I said in the back of your mind as there may be an opportunity in the future for you to balance sound and investment.....if you so desire. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

;)

The sets might be worth something someday...but we'll see.

either the cd is cheap or the mp3 overpriced

I find digital downloads very overpriced. For example: Why spend about $50 on a season of a TV show from iTunes, when I can spend the same in-store and get DVDs, Blu-Rays, and the digital download? A $1 isn't that much for a single song, but why pay $10-$12 (or much more) when you can pay (in most cases) the same price for a much less transient copy of the music?

I buy lossy in roughly the same situations as you. Didn't want to wait for/pay for the vinyl/CD set of Cloud to Ground, for example, so I bought it off iTunes (for now).

;)

The sets might be worth something someday...but we'll see.

Well, apart from the previous examples that I gave, my Early Days, Latter Days, No Quarter Unledded, and Walking Into Clarksdale sealed LP's all sell for well over $100, and I paid $20 each for them. I know there is more than a "might" that the new releases will appreciate in value. :)

In fact, I just turned a $6.00 LP investment into $500. Not Led Zeppelin, but another speculative investment that paid off.

I have an all analog audio system set up in my bedroom (reel to reel, turntable, tuner/reciever), and do all other listening either in the car or at the computer on headphones. I pre-ordered all three super deluxe editions, and each version of media will be used - although the cd's i play in the car will be copies ;)

I understand what Dark Lord is talking about, re-sale value. I buy and sell records (and reel to reel tapes) all of the time. So far I've been very successful at selling for more than I paid - and buying slightly below market value. Assuming these sets go out of production at some point (Classic Albums are sort of an exception) the prices will skyrocket. The Pink Floyd boxsets from a couple years ago are still at, or slightly below, what they initially sold for. Five or ten years from now, yes, I can see the increased value in unopened copies of these (Super Deluxe box sets).

It can also depend on how many were made/sold before being discontinued.

I have an all analog audio system set up in my bedroom (reel to reel, turntable, tuner/reciever), and do all other listening either in the car or at the computer on headphones. I pre-ordered all three super deluxe editions, and each version of media will be used - although the cd's i play in the car will be copies ;)

I understand what Dark Lord is talking about, re-sale value. I buy and sell records (and reel to reel tapes) all of the time. So far I've been very successful at selling for more than I paid - and buying slightly below market value. Assuming these sets go out of production at some point (Classic Albums are sort of an exception) the prices will skyrocket. The Pink Floyd boxsets from a couple years ago are still at, or slightly below, what they initially sold for. Five or ten years from now, yes, I can see the increased value in unopened copies of these (Super Deluxe box sets).

It can also depend on how many were made/sold before being discontinued.

Yes, you and I are kindred spirits in this subject. When I talk investment, I generally talk in terms of 10 year cycles, but I have been doing this long enough that I now have investment stuff turning 10 years old, every year. I would say that my profit is in the average range of 500-600% percent in that time. One thing that cannot be argued by the skeptics, is that digital downloads are, and always will be worthless. That is why we have seen the resurgence of vinyl. Digital downloads may be a great personal decision, but they are the worst business decision.

Digital downloads may be a great personal decision, but they are the worst business decision.

True. I've spent probably $200 total on iTunes, Amazon, or HD tracks downloads...and will never see a return. You can't beat the accessibility though. I want a song? I'll go spend $1 on it. If there's a few more songs on it that I want, I'll pick up the cd, or if it's an older recording, the record.

I can't understand looking forward to selling my music, though...I don't plan on spending money on things I want to sell. ;)

It's a different mindset, buying an extra one for investment purposes.

I wonder if the cd's or super deluxe sets will include the auto rip on Amazon? its nice to have them stored for free on their cloud.

Doesn't look like it as of now....but they could always add that later.

I can't understand looking forward to selling my music, though...I don't plan on spending money on things I want to sell. ;)

Well, as I've said a few times, you could buy the CD, upload it to your iTunes and sell the CD, now or in the future, since you never wanted it in the first place. In your case this would be a loss reduction strategy as opposed to an investment strategy. I buy multiples of many items with the intent of selling them eventually, while still keeping my personal copy. At the end of the day, my personal copies end up being free, and I still put money in my pocket....generally speaking. I understand that not everyone thinks this way. Some people genuinely think that paying rent on an apartment is better than owning, and that having a co-op car is better than owning. It depends on what your lifestyle priorities are. I honestly am only sharing my experience in the hope that it might appeal to someone who never considered this approach before. It does require time, patience, storage space, and some extra up front cash.

Hi all, first post longtime reader. I was wondering do you get the booklets with the vinyl as none of the photos show them.

Cheers

Peter

I think you just might, and the photos do show something that might be a booklet. The hardcover book is lying down open, and the booklet is standing next to the box. Take a look at the Deluxe Box Set picture. This is not conclusive though.

I am going for the super deluxe box sets, I like the idea of the inclusion of the book.

Then I have the vinyl for special occasions/guests.

Compact disc for more everday listening.

Plus a HD download thingy to puzzle over..... :unsure:

All in a nice study box., not really fussed about the numbered prints, but doubtless if I end up with one I'd like the other eight.

Hello everyone,

I love HD digital downloads because of their ease of use and great sound quality.

I've never downloaded HD music but I do love lossless audio on Blu-Rays

Are we talking about a PCM stereo mix or FLAC audio files in these sets, or something else?

What is the best way to play this downloadable material and take advantage of the higher resolution?

Do you utilize a media player on the computer connected to an external receiver by HDMI? My PC is networked to my home theater system through a PS3 but I've never played any music via that connection except for mp3's. I'm guessing that high quality headphones would be the other alternative.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Plus a HD download thingy to puzzle over..... :unsure:

Why so puzzled?

Probably time to get off this technical stuff and just talk about these box sets! Getting off track a bit now!

The "technical" discussion is about the box sets! :P

I've never downloaded HD music but I do love lossless audio on Blu-Rays

Are we talking about a PCM stereo mix or FLAC audio files in these sets, or something else?

What is the best way to play this downloadable material and take advantage of the higher resolution?

Do you utilize a media player on the computer connected to an external receiver by HDMI? My PC is networked to my home theater system through a PS3 but I've never played any music via that connection except for mp3's. I'm guessing that high quality headphones would be the other alternative.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

They haven't specified yet, but I would guess FLAC files based on what other bands have been doing with their re-releases. I usually listen to music with Bose headphones. They sound great with HD tracks.

They haven't specified yet, but I would guess FLAC files based on what other bands have been doing with their re-releases. I usually listen to music with Bose headphones. They sound great with HD tracks.

They might be in multiple formats. I'll be interested to see where the files are hosted.

They might be in multiple formats. I'll be interested to see where the files are hosted.

Me too. At this past Black Friday Record Store Day, I picked up Nirvana's 2013 In Utero Mixes and U2's Ordinary Love. The download sites were obscure and not affiliated with anything I've ever heard of before. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with the Zeppelin downloads.

Archived