New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Me too. At this past Black Friday Record Store Day, I picked up Nirvana's 2013 In Utero Mixes and U2's Ordinary Love. The download sites were obscure and not affiliated with anything I've ever heard of before. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with the Zeppelin downloads.

I'm hoping Zeppelin hosts them here at the official site. And other stuff.

:P

Some technical notes from the Steve Hoffman forum on comparisons between two extracts from the LZ 111 remaster and vinyl. Fodder while we wait til June 3.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/led-zeppelin-remasters-in-2014-to-include-2nd-disc-of-bonus-material-part-2.346378/page-30

Here's a comparison of brief excerpts from two tracks on Led Zeppelin III.

The excerpts are from Gallows Pole (first minute or so) and That's the Way (first two minutes). The first excerpt in each file is from a needle-drop of the red-label Canadian vinyl. Not my needle-drop, and can't share details, but I give my word that this is a high-quality, properly done needle drop. The second excerpt in each file is from the new remastering. (No sense in keeping it a mystery which is which, because the differences are not subtle at all).

Each matched pair of songs was loaded into Audacity, level-matched roughly by ear (using waveform RMS as a guide), chopped after the first minute (or two minutes), and put together one after the other. The resulting single file was exported in 32-bit float, then loaded into Izotope, downsampled to 44.1kHz (because the needle drop was high-res and the remaster was not), and then exported, with Izotope's excellent noise-shaping dither, to a 16-bit AIFF file.

So there will be some subtle effects from the resampling and the dither - but they are far outweighed by the obvious differences in frequency profile, clarity, ambience, imaging, background noise, and (as far as I can tell) condition of the master tape used. So here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gmasmep5gf9e5w/3compare.zip

Some things probably everyone will notice:

- The new remaster has a lot more top end. Whether you think it's goosed, or the Canadian is rolled-off (or both), is of course subjective.

- For those who have heard the Classic Records version (

NOT

included here), the new remaster is sort of its cousin sonically, but the high end sounds much more natural - even if you think there's too much high end on both the Classic and this new remaster, I expect you'll agree with me that the remaster's high end still sounds better than the Classic's.

- The vinyl is more dynamic. As we know from the epic Ian Shepherd thread, some of that extra dynamics is illusory, and indeed, the dynamic differences are more dramatic when you look at the waveform than when you actually listen . But still, the Canadian vinyl excerpt of That's the Way is pretty darned dynamic.

- The beginning of Gallows Pole, left channel, seems to have some brief damage. It sounds like tape damage to me, but I suppose it could be a problem with the original vinyl playback or the A/D transfer (though I really doubt it). The new remaster, by comparison, sounds pristine. The original tape source for the new remaster is certainly sounds like it was in very good condition.

- The imaging on the Canadian vinyl is excellent. The imaging on the new remaster is pretty darned good too.

For me, I'm sticking with my opinion from earlier in this thread: I like the new remaster. Plant's voice is lovely on the Canadian vinyl, and compared to the new remaster it has a lush, integrated feel to it. One could even argue that the new remaster is slightly "congested" compared to the Canadian vinyl. But to me, the benefits of the Canadian vinyl and demerits of the new remaster are relatively small, outweighed by the stunning clarity, prominent but not compressed-sounding highs, and pinpoint imaging of the new remaster. I'm sure some of you will hear the new remaster excerpts and think, "Oh, that's painfully trebly compared to the Canadian vinyl excerpt that just came before it." I can understand that. But when I listen to the whole album in each version, I find myself feeling like the Canadian is just too rolled-off and veiled for me, and I long for the clarity of the remaster, those top-end transients on Page's acoustic at the beginning of That's the Way.

To each his/her own, though - this is all supposed to fun, after all!

orangesmile.gifthumpsup.gif

It's just a difference of what we're looking for, I guess. My point was that what sounds good to you is what matters, not necessarily what others tell you. ;)

Re-sale value means nothing to me because (at least for now) I have no intention of selling my collection. I don't really care about the format, either...it's the music that counts, at least to me. I'm into the experience for the aural pleasure I derive.

A while back, I listened to the re-mastered iTunes songs from LZ II, and I was very impressed with how good it sounded. And this is from someone that listened to LZ II in October of 1969 with an RL edition!

That said, I would buy a Blu-ray version of LZ II. :)

Although it's amazing we are getting all this extra audio, isn't it a little bitter sweet that most of the material is already on YouTube? Will there be anything we haven't heard?

All of it is remastered. That's reason enough to buy it.

I've never downloaded HD music but I do love lossless audio on Blu-Rays

Are we talking about a PCM stereo mix or FLAC audio files in these sets, or something else?

What is the best way to play this downloadable material and take advantage of the higher resolution?

Do you utilize a media player on the computer connected to an external receiver by HDMI? My PC is networked to my home theater system through a PS3 but I've never played any music via that connection except for mp3's. I'm guessing that high quality headphones would be the other alternative.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

FLAC would be nice but a high likelihood many wouldn't know what to do with it. But I suppose the DL site could have several options available.

I will use Cirlinca HD-Audio to create DVD-A discs and listen either on my home theater or in my car, which plays DVD-A. The first time I spin them up, I will wear two pairs of socks because I expect to lose one pair along the way.

You have to think some stuff will be on Coda. Mr. Page is holding tracks to put on that album. What do you guys think. The big stuff is on the next 3 albums.

Can NOT wait for the next three sets. I was thinking yesterday maybe we'll get the next three earlier in 2015...but if they could be ready for February '15, why not Christmas season, '14? So...might be a long wait (June 2015?).

I'm of two minds when it comes to an Uber Coda. While it seems logical to use it as the repository for lots of bits and pieces, why wouldn't Mr. Page just tie them to the original album?

Then again...if tracks were just "jams" or other explorations that never became songs that we know, Coda might be the place. So is that two minds or three?

If Page uses up all the unreleased stuff on the following albums ,then the well may be dry by the time we get to Coda(although I very much doubt it).The sneaky old bugger may just put on a final live performance from europe as the bonus disc,like he did with the first album.I've heard a few decent sound board recordings from these shows although the performances lack the youthful raw energy of yore.I would love have a decent live version of 'All of My Love' but i could live without 'Hot Dog'.As an aside,I wonder if there is a different studio take on 'Hot Dog 'with a different solo.His solo on that is crap,his worst ever.

but i could live without 'Hot Dog'.As an aside,I wonder if there is a different studio take on 'Hot Dog 'with a different solo.His solo on that is crap,his worst ever.

Love that solo, love that song, love that album. Funny how people's tastes differ so drastically.

I love 'Hot Dog 'on the album but as a guitarist that solo is sloppy and could have been so much better.He could given it a more country twang to it.I've heard live versions of 'Hot Dog' live and they just sound tired and out of place next to the big classics.

I love 'Hot Dog 'on the album but as a guitarist that solo is sloppy and could have been so much better.He could given it a more country twang to it.I've heard live versions of 'Hot Dog' live and they just sound tired and out of place next to the big classics.

You didn't get the joke

Long time reader, first post. For those wondering about what to do with the high-res versions coming in the Super Deluxe sets, you might check out Neil Young's recently announced Pono Player coming out in August, a portable player that will be able to handle hi-res and pump it out to various sources. Depending on your gear (and where you fall on the side of the great bitrate debate), you could potentially get a vinyl-level quality in digital form. Been waiting a long time for these remasters so I'm excited to listen to them in hi-res.

Long time reader, first post. For those wondering about what to do with the high-res versions coming in the Super Deluxe sets, you might check out Neil Young's recently announced Pono Player coming out in August, a portable player that will be able to handle hi-res and pump it out to various sources. Depending on your gear (and where you fall on the side of the great bitrate debate), you could potentially get a vinyl-level quality in digital form. Been waiting a long time for these remasters so I'm excited to listen to them in hi-res.

Sorry - don't know why I said August. They're saying an October/December timeframe.

I'm very fortunate to be able to wear headphones at work during certain activities. Can't wait to spend my days in sonic bliss listening to the remasters.

Dose anybody think we get more than one bonus disk with some of the other ones?

Jimmy said there would be a companion disc with each box set. He hasn't mentioned multiple discs with any particular box set. I think that's about all we know about the future boxes.

I am sure they are all going to be amazing. I am hoping that a few DVD/Blu Ray is included somewhere and if Embryo or any other new music will come at the end as a bonus... doesn't hurt to dream:-) :whistling:

"Embryo"? Wrong group? :P

He probably means Jimmy's Embryo No. 2 from It Might Get Loud.

Archived